• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Second Expansion: Path of Fire - September 22

Ashodin

smhd9j3wg5dz.png

WHAT IS THIS?

Guild Wars 2, one of the premier buy to play MMOs* out there, is releasing its second expansion in about three to four months time according to the Game Director Mike O' Brien. Its previous expansion, Heart of Thorns, was released with a lot of polarization to the playerbase; they added a lot of features that some players wanted and others couldn't care less. In spite of this however, they pushed on and worked on what Guild Wars 2 calls its updates as the "Living World", which are new maps, new storylines, and new additions of content and chase items (Legendaries, Armor Skins). Living World Season 3 (which has now just concluded with One Path Ends, the last release of six) has been widely regarded as a success, bringing a lot more new locales and interesting plot points to the post-expansion content.

*The base game of GW2 is free, Heart of Thorns is the only thing you need to buy to get access to all content.

INFO FROM LIVESTREAM:

• GUILD WARS 2 PATH OF FIRE
  • MOUNTS
  • FIVE NEW OPEN WORLD ZONES
  • LARGEST ZONES EVER SHIPPED
  • NINE NEW ELITE SPECIALIZATIONS
  • CRYSTAL DESERT AND ELONA
  • PYRAMIDS
  • PALAWA JOKO UNDEAD
  • BRANDED ENEMIES
  • SEPTEMBER 22
  • $29.99 base, $54.99 Digital Deluxe, $79.99 Ultimate
  • $49.99 Heart of Thorns + Path of Fire combo

IS THERE A GAF THREAD FOR THE COMMUNITY?

Indeed! Check over here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1128368

I HEARD THIS GAME DOESN'T HAVE THE TRINITY? WHY????

Yes and no. It doesn't have the same trinity as you know it; rather the game deals with aggro based on the heaviness of the class of player, and also there's totally healers. Druids were added as the elite specialization (think prestige classes) of Rangers that can be entirely focused on healing. You shoot lasers to heal people. Other classes can be specced out that way due to the great skill system revamp they did a while back.

Similarly, there's raids and fractals (dungeons) which require a setup similar to tanking and healing (albeit without people being forced into playing a healer forever, similar to FFXIV letting you switch jobs). So the option is there if you want it. The rest of the content is entirely based on you being able to solo effectively and not die, which in itself is the reason a lot of players enjoy the game.

Cooperation is the name of GW2 and its community has been named the friendliest in all MMOs.

In the spirit of that, I'll be around to answer questions about the game should you want to ask them and speculation for the expansion. There are leaks out there, so view them at your discretion.

WHAT KIND OF LEAKS? WHAT'S BEEN LEAKED!?

Mounts, Elona, Vabbi, Elite Specializations for every Profession (all of them), and more.

LEAKED IMAGES: https://imgur.com/a/oTB2W

Basically, beyond that stuff that has been leaked, we know next to nothing otherwise.

So speculation has been fun so far.

I'll be updating the OP as the event goes live with new information and such, trailers, etc.

Let's get hype!

Ploid 3.0

I still haven't bought the first expansion. Hopefully this one will be more interesting to me. I love classes and stuff but the extended classes in expansion one didn't seem that much of a deal maker.

Disappointed there won't be any new classes

Oh cra.. what the $)@#%!

Damn those leak maps, they learn their lesson from HoT...

Edit:
I still haven't bought the first expansion. Hopefully this one will be more interesting to me. I love classes and stuff but the extended classes in expansion one didn't seem that much of a deal maker.

Buy the new expansion and you will get the old one free, their business model is different from other MMO companies, so if you are new to the game and you buy second expansion, you will get the GW2 free and Heart of Thorns expansion free...

Ashodin

I think they've learned their lesson from HoT, and at least for me, the Guardian leaked specialization will completely change the way I play the class.

Here's why SPOILERS
The Firebrand will make Tomes out of their Virtues, which will give them entirely new bars like Engineer kits

Ashodin

I would love a transforming druid type class

SPOILERS Ranger New Elite Spec
The Ranger gets the Soulbeast which will merge you with your pet. You basically go Super Saiyan and get new abilities based on which pet you merge with. And yes that means you go petless so you don't have to manage the pet.

ALSO FOR ALL SPECS
I have found evidence that every elite spec gets an entire new armor set for their class, not just a piece of armor this time around.

Kalentan

As far as we know. I'm not sure what else they could announce that would be exciting, and the Revenant was specifically to fill a heavy armor hole.

They should make a class that can use two or more armor types. That would be interesting.

will they also release the expansion the day of announcement? thanks.

It's very likely we will get an estimate. They said to expect the expansion to release in the same time frame as a new Living Story update, so 2 to 3 months.

So October/November.

I think they've learned their lesson from HoT, and at least for me, the Guardian leaked specialization will completely change the way I play the class.

Here's why SPOILERS
The Firebrand will make Tomes out of their Virtues, which will give them entirely new bars like Engineer kits
Are these real? If so can you tell me warrior and mesmer?

As far as we know. I'm not sure what else they could announce that would be exciting, and the Revenant was specifically to fill a heavy armor hole.

It filled that role and then they ignored it, don't see a lot of groups asking for Revs....maybe for this expansion they can retool the class...

They should make a class that can use two or more armor types. That would be interesting.

It's very likely we will get an estimate. They said to expect the expansion to release in the same time frame as a new Living Story update, so 2 to 3 months.

So October/November.

that's not bad. i'm ready.

i started a new char just for fun.

Femto.

I just hate how I have to wait till after work to catch up on all of the announcements.

Wasn't HoT announced on a Saturday at a PAX event in 2015?

I'm also hoping that Anet just reveals all of the leaked elite specs tomorrow seeing as it may be pointless to announce them the same way they did for HoT because of leakage.

Ashodin

Gonna be at work during this reveal. Fingers crossed for Eles to get swords.

Elementalists get
swords.

I've been able to stay away from leaks but, HYYYYPPPEEEEE BEST PART OF GWLANDIA

Take me to the promised land.

WE GOIN THERE

Are these real? If so can you tell me warrior and mesmer?

Warrior -> Spellbreaker (Dagger). Anti Mage Class. Mesmer -> Mirage (Axe). Full on illusion-based.

-NeoTB1-

I'll be here for the announcement. I quit shortly before HoT's release, so I imagine the game is very different nowadays.

Massicot

I wonder if they will either bundle in or heavily discount Season 3. It would stink to try to convince friends to jump back in while also saying "oh btw whip out that CC for the previous season it was pretty good"

I wonder if they will either bundle in or heavily discount Season 3. It would stink to try to convince friends to jump back in while also saying "oh btw whip out that CC for the previous season it was pretty good"

I think gating LWS2&3 behind gems is a mistake, especially considering how much of the game's appeal is it's ongoing main story.

Kalentan

Warrior -> Spellbreaker (Dagger). Anti Mage Class. Mesmer -> Mirage (Axe). Full on illusion-based.

YOOOOO

As a Warrior main I'm hyped.

I actually just made 2 Ascended Berserk Daggers on my Ele that I could use on my warrior.

Ploid 3.0

Here's why SPOILERS

That's good to hear, I love messing around with different builds, new classes, and so on. More opportunity to find a setup I really love to play.

Maybe they will finally give us the Commando class

Not gonna happen ;_;

Oh my, I remember seeing this. That would be awesome.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
SPOILERS Ranger New Elite Spec
The Ranger gets the Soulbeast which will merge you with your pet. You basically go Super Saiyan and get new abilities based on which pet you merge with. And yes that means you go petless so you don't have to manage the pet.

ALSO FOR ALL SPECS
I have found evidence that every elite spec gets an entire new armor set for their class, not just a piece of armor this time around.
Wait, is this confirmed for the Ranger?

Holy shit. I know where I'm spending my level 80 boost...

Ashodin

Wait, is this confirmed for the Ranger?

Holy shit. I know where I'm spending my level 80 boost...

Yes just don't expect
to LOOK like your pet merged with you. It's different colored auras based on the pet. But also don't assume that it's just some chinzy aura either, we know nothing beyond that.

How's that?

The game is releasing new content, good lasting content, like it never has before. Things like Fractals and Raids are more accessible than ever and fractals are actually good fun 5 man content with great rewards. sPVP is the best it's ever been. All classes have a place in all modes of the game and many classes have multiple meta builds so build diversity is greater than it's been in game. This past year has been the best Guild Wars 2 has ever been. It's as simple as that.

Fishious

I can't wait! I think Guild Wars 2 has really hit its stride recently. After years of skill/trait reworks, quality of life changes, experiments with living world, I feel like they've finally hit a point where they can release content that is good, released at a reasonable pace, and on schedule. I guess I'm in the minority for enjoying HoT, but I'll say that the long drought before and after its release was terrible. Now we get new story with their own maps every 3 months and all the maps have been pretty different so there's variety. If Arenanet can release the new expansion in 3-4 months like they planned, then roll into Season Four 3 months after that they'll be golden.

Regarding the new expansion, I was initially a bit sad that there's been no indication of a new profession, but honestly I don't think Revenant from the last expansion was mechanically different enough from the other classes. Most of the ideas I've thought up that could reasonably be done for a new class could just as easily be an elite specialization for one of the existing classes. So ultimately I don't think a new profession is really necessary and I look forward to the new elite specs. Hopefully this will also help with the power creep of elite specs, since currently there's only 1 per class it's pretty much a must have. With the new expansion we'll actually have to choose between the 2 options.

I can't wait! I think Guild Wars 2 has really hit its stride recently. After years of skill/trait reworks, quality of life changes, experiments with living world, I feel like they've finally hit a point where they can release content that is good, released at a reasonable pace, and on schedule. I guess I'm in the minority for enjoying HoT, but I'll say that the long drought before and after its release was terrible. Now we get new story with their own maps every 3 months and all the maps have been pretty different so there's variety. If Arenanet can release the new expansion in 3-4 months like they planned, then roll into Season Four 3 months after that they'll be golden.

Regarding the new expansion, I was initially a bit sad that there's been no indication of a new profession, but honestly I don't think Revenant from the last expansion was mechanically different enough from the other classes. Most of the ideas I've thought up that could reasonably be done for a new class could just as easily be an elite specialization for one of the existing classes. So ultimately I don't think a new profession is really necessary and I look forward to the new elite specs. Hopefully this will also help with the power creep of elite specs, since currently there's only 1 per class it's pretty much a must have. With the new expansion we'll actually have to choose between the 2 options.

Honestly. The one niche I feel the revenant really could have added was the Death Knight anti-paladin archetype. Arenanet wimped out on doing that and to be honest, the Reaper is a far cooler version of that than the Revenant could have been anyway.

Top Bottom