• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 sells 3.8 million in China in 2 months time, game tops 7 million

But still it should take 3-4 years for a Korean mmo publishers to launch a mmo from a developer they own in Korea.

Then I guess we'll see if it launches in Korea in 2 years. :p I agree, publishers should launch all the things in all the regions. Perhaps they're also looking at Korea right now and thinking it's just not the right time, hence the focus on China. Who knows. I ain't an Ncsoft CEO, and I sure as he don't' want to pretend to be one.

People in OT always same game/guild is dead. These numbers don't make sense.

Did ANET fire you?

Nope. Was playing late one night with terrible lag. Later on started experiencing disconnects. Thought it might have been on my end since I had been having issues with normal web browsing. Anyway I tried to track down the issue by using ProcessExplorer to figure out IPs the client was trying to connect to and a program call PingPlotter to send pings to the server in order to catch when I disconnected. Played for a few more hours when game suddenly crashed again. Tried to log back in but this time discovered I was banned.

I filed a service ticket but ANet said I was botting. I told them what happened and even produced my ping plots to prove it. What gets me is that I went from trying to play the game one weekend night to being banned for life in hours with no malice on my part. I have another account but I am so pissed at them that I can't even bring myself to play anymore.

/endRant

Surprised you didn't follow up on it. Anet actually has a good track record of setting things straight if you're actually innocent.

Nope. Was playing late one night with terrible lag. Later on started experiencing disconnects. Thought it might have been on my end since I had been having issues with normal web browsing. Anyway I tried to track down the issue by using ProcessExplorer to figure out IPs the client was trying to connect to and a program call PingPlotter to send pings to the server in order to catch the when I disconnected. Played for a few more hours when game suddenly crashed again. Tried to log back in but this time discovered I was banned.

I filed a service ticket but ANet said I was botting. I told them what happened and even produced my ping plots to prove it. What gets me is that I went from trying to play the game one weekend night to being banned for life in hours with no malice on my part. I have another account but I am so pissed at them that I can't even bring myself to play anymore.

/endRant

I got banned for 3 days during launch for saying 'fuck' in zone chat.

zsswimmer

Like clockwork.

"Guild Wars 2 Nabs ‘Fastest Selling Western MMO’ Crown, Looks East for More Records" thread:

"Guild Wars 2 has sold over 3 million copies since August, 2013 content plans outlined" thread:

"Guild Wars 2 | Year One By The Numbers" thread:

"'Has 'Guild Wars 2' become too complicated?' (Interview)" thread:

"MMO/MMORPG Suggestions" thread:

"Only have so much time+money: Guild Wars 2 or Mists of Pandaria?" thread:

We get it, you don't like it, and you don't like that it's successful. Are you going to threadshit like this for the rest of your life?

0_0

I just returned to this game recently and I'm enjoying it. The best thing about it is you don't feel guilty about putting it down because of the only cost being the initial purchase of the game. With $15/month mmos, I always felt like I was wasting my money if I wasn't playing. Megaserver tech also keeps the servers feeling real full.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
With $15/month mmos, I always felt like I was wasting my money if I wasn't playing
Yeah, I personally can't play any subscription-based games because of this sensation. :( Guild Wars 2 is easy to treat as "just another game" in your library, something to play whenever you feel like it

Retro

Damn, you guys are on the ball; every time I go to answer a question or comment on something, somebody already took care of it. No Mega Posts for me.

Also, holy shit Weltall. <3

How is that even possible isn't that word straight up censored by default.

There's an in-game "Language Filter", but it's client side. The language is still being broadcast to the game's chat where people can report it. Not saying it's right, but it is what it is and isn't any harsher than what I've seen in other MMOs.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Damn, you guys are on the ball; every time I go to answer a question or comment on something, somebody already took care of it. No Mega Posts for me.

Also, holy shit Weltall. <3

There's an in-game "Language Filter", but it's client side. The language is still being broadcast to the game's chat where people can report it. Not saying it's right, but it is what it is and isn't any harsher than what I've seen in other MMOs.

Well that's utterly pointless what's the point of client side censorship it's not as if the person who posted it it is the person the needs the words censored. Never messed around with profanity filters so I assumed all that was on by default. I guess not.

Surprised you didn't follow up on it. Anet actually has a good track record of setting things straight if you're actually innocent.

I did until they gave me the "Our decision is final. Stop contacting us" email. I am not even sure what it was that caused the issue. At fist I thought it was Ping Plotter because I was continually pinging their server. However I was told by other people that they had done similar things and not been punished.

I now think it was Process Explorer. From what little ANet told me about the reasons for my ban I learned that they scan the running programs on your computer while you play the game. They apparently didn't like something they found. I think it was Process Explorer because when researching this I heard other people say they got in trouble with Stream's anti-cheat mechanisms for running that program while playing.

Then again I'm sure I've run Process Explorer while playing before too. I basically use it as my task manager. Anyway it has to be one or the other program because running them is the only thing I did different that night from any other normal night.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
We get it, you don't like it, and you don't like that it's successful. Are you going to threadshit like this for the rest of your life?

Sorry, forgot GWGAF only want positive comments, like the time they got mad when a mod made an OT they didn't like.

Trey

Sorry, forgot GWGAF only want positive comments, like the time they got mad when a mod made an OT they didn't like.

I thought that OT title was cute and funny but it's not really fair for one person to take a swipe at the game when it doesn't reflect the general opinion of the community thread.

GW2GAF may be a bit defensive but it's pretty reasonable, in my opinion. In the last few threads, only outright incorrect accusations have been challenged. The regulars will be the first to tell you the game isn't perfect and that it's understandable if a person isn't feeling it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
dude your comment about that is literally right there in his summary of your hit and runs
KuGsj.gif

EventHorizon, was this your post? https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/account/Acct-banned-for-pinging-to-find-network-issue

In the threads I've seen on the official forums they won't usually name something specific like that unless they feel like they have strong cause. Do you think it's possible your account was compromised? He does say to follow up with your CS ticket
The regulars will be the first to tell you the game isn't perfect and that it's understandable if a person isn't feeling it.
By nature it's more than understandable, I mean it does a lot of things that just could not possibly please everyone. I love the combat personally and have a lot of fun just playing (I use a 360 pad), but I can totally understand someone who really loves the Trinity finding it unbearable.

Retro

Well that's utterly pointless what's the point of client side censorship it's not as if the person who posted it it is the person the needs the words censored. Never messed around with profanity filters so I assumed all that was on by default. I guess not.

It's not censorship, it's a language filter, like a parental control.

People were mad that the OT2 was a slapdash job that made a mess of the hard work that went into the first OT and that it was rushed out while the person who had 'called' the next OT was actively working on it (I believe he actually created the new thread and it was subsequently deleted). The OT itself didn't have anything to dislike other than being a mess.

Keep on playing that "Crazy GAF Defense Force" card though, your record of drive-by comments is pretty clearly demonstrated.

Jarate

Banned
Like clockwork.

"Guild Wars 2 Nabs ‘Fastest Selling Western MMO’ Crown, Looks East for More Records" thread:

"Guild Wars 2 has sold over 3 million copies since August, 2013 content plans outlined" thread:

I don't know what's more pathetic, the person who feels the need to lambast GW2 at every thread, or you for having specific quotes ready for when said person comes to lambast the thread. Im pulling a little towards the latter.

Game's fun, but it's missing a lot of MMO mechanics for better or for worse. personally, the combat has been outshined by Wildstar and Tera, and the PVE content kind of blows for a theme park MMO. Ive heard really good things about the PVP though.

It's good that it's seeing success in China. Shows the gaming market for China is ready to actually buy games as opposed to just pirating WC3.

Jira

I was expecting a bigger WW number considering it doesn't have a subscription fee

7m sales puts GW2 right at the 7th best selling PC game of all time. That's pretty damn impressive considering its company are the biggest gaming franchises around.

It's currently trailing games like :

Minecraft 16 million
Diablo III 15 million
World of Warcraft 14 million
StarCraft 11 million
Battlefield 2 11 million
The Sims 3 10 million
Guild Wars 2 7 million

Jarate

Banned
7m sales puts GW2 right at the 7th best selling PC game of all time. That's pretty damn impressive considering its company are the biggest gaming franchises around.

It's currently trailing games like :

Minecraft 16 million
Diablo III 15 million
World of Warcraft 14 million
StarCraft 11 million
Battlefield 2 11 million
The Sims 3 10 million
Guild Wars 2 7 million

those numbers have been thoroughly proven to be misleading in many ways. There is no way in hell this is the 7th best selling PC game of all time

Stopped playing months ago, the game didn't managed to grab my attention for so long and I feel XIV fills the MMO itch better for me.

But yeah, I can see why is loved by so many people.

Orayn

those numbers have been thoroughly proven to be misleading in many ways. There is no way in hell this is the 7th best selling PC game of all time

Wouldn't that actually put it further ahead since sales numbers are more likely to be over-estimated than under-?

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Yeah I'm sure gw1 is 7 million sold anyway., but still it has a much higher chance of being 7th than mine craft being number 1 which currently is utter bullshit.

Jira

Yeah I'm sure gw1 is 7 million sold anyway., but still it has a much higher chance of being 7th than mine craft being number 1 which currently is utter bullshit.

Uhhhhhh dude you're aware of just how much Minecraft has sold right?

So far 16,021,370 people bought the PC/Mac version of the game. Phew.

That's JUST from the PC version.

The profanity filter is on by default. I find it very unlikely the person was banned just for saying 'fuck'. Likely, (and this is 100% speculation) they were engaging in a lot of abusive talk against other players, and got reported enough that the abuse team decided to act. There is no automatic banning based on number of reports, every case is reviewed first by a real person.

I did until they gave me the "Our decision is final. Stop contacting us" email.

That does suck. I won't even defend ArenaNet on that one.

I don't know what's more pathetic, the person who feels the need to lambast GW2 at every thread, or you for having specific quotes ready for when said person comes to lambast the thread. Im pulling a little towards the latter..

If someone is known to be a drive-by thread shitter of a specific game, it's not hard to click on that user's name and look at the post history, and have an immediate collection of all the threadshitting. It's not like the person pointing out the history of threadshitting had a text file on their desktop where they'd been carefully collecting said threadshitter's posts - it takes like 10 seconds to collect all the posts from a user containing certain keywords.

What's sad, is when a person *won't let it go* that they don't like a game, and insist on going into every single thread about that game to say how much they don't like it. It's fine not to like something. It's okay to let people know you don't like something. But to make a career out of it, to do it in every thread of the thing you don't like - that's insanity. It is unhealthy for the person doing it. It is unhealthy for the forum it's being done on. There is a limit up to which it is tolerable, but after a while, I really question the motives of the person doing it.

There are enough MMOs on the market, excellent MMOs, that there's almost something for everyone. It boggles my mind that, in a world of so much choice, so many excellent games, certain people can get so hung up on the ones they don't like, instead of focusing on the ones they do.

EventHorizon, was this your post? https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/account/Acct-banned-for-pinging-to-find-network-issue

In the threads I've seen on the official forums they won't usually name something specific like that unless they feel like they have strong cause. Do you think it's possible your account was compromised? He does say to follow up with your CS ticket

Yep that's me. Nice find. I did follow up and pushed it as far as it would go. I seriously doubt my account was hacked. Like I said, I was playing the game at the time they said I was botting and kicked me off, which in itself is kind of funny.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Dang, what game do you think has sold more copies on PC and Mac than Minecraft?

Last reported sales for gw1 was 6.5million (NA/EU/Asia) though that would not include sales of EotN, I believe. so that'd make gw2 7th, gw1 8th, and The Sims 1 9th. But the numbers are all sort of using different metrics and hard to compare. The proposition that "there is no way in hell" that it's at #7 seems funny since gw1 held that record on the same listing until this census :p

Sanjay

I always check the Guild Wars 2 threads that pop up to see where the quality of the game is at.

And I see its not changed much at all.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Dang, what game do you think has sold more copies on PC and Mac than Minecraft?

Last reported sales for gw1 was 6.5million (NA/EU/Asia) though that would not include sales of EotN, I believe. so that'd make gw2 7th, gw1 8th, and The Sims 1 9th. But the numbers are all sort of using different metrics and hard to compare. The proposition that "there is no way in hell" that it's at #7 seems funny since gw1 held that record on the same listing until this census :p

D3 has certainly sold more WoW most probably has Sims 2 seems to have a 20 million sold floating around (can't verify) and a bunch of the data is like 10 years old. So yeah not yet. Probably will get around there eventually..

Shiokazu

little curiosity:

You cant bot in guild wars 2.

you really cant, program a bot to play for you, it has no rotations you know?

Retro

little curiosity:

Eh, you can set them up to farm. They've eliminated or changed the big events that reoccurred often enough to be botted, but you can still go out and have a bot kill enemies over and over and over again.

They've been cracking down hard on bots though, around launch there were a handful of places where you could reliably see bots doing the events over and over again. Haven't seen anything like that in a while though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
D3 has certainly sold more WoW most probably has Sims 2 seems to have a 20 million sold floating around (can't verify) and a bunch of the data is like 10 years old. So yeah not yet. Probably will get around there eventually..
Damn people really love their Sims!
little curiosity:

Botting just for material node gathering alone was actually a huge problem at launch, but there was a big wave of bans for that after a few months.

I don't know what's more pathetic, the person who feels the need to lambast GW2 at every thread, or you for having specific quotes ready for when said person comes to lambast the thread. Im pulling a little towards the latter.

"Having specific quotes ready for..." what the fuck now? I did a freaking Google search, it took me like 10 seconds.
https://www.google.es/search?q=ikuu+guild+wars+2+neogaf+site:www.neogaf.com
I didn't even bother looking further than the first page!

You already said that. Wait, that sums up about all your input on GW2.

There's a difference between offering criticism, and making a point of clicking every single thread about a game to shit on it. The latter is simply tiring and, frankly, creepy. It would be like me posting in every single Call of Duty thread to say how I dislike it and everything it represents (hint: I haven't posted in, or even clicked, a single CoD thread).

Seriously, I think your energy is better spent in more productive endeavors, because the only thing you're accomplishing in the end is pissing off those who do like it. Of course, it might just be that's exactly your goal; your comments about how you enjoyed what happened with the GW2 thread would certainly support such an hypothesis, in which case you're nothing more than a garden variety troll and I'm the one wasting my time.

Aim_Ed

Even though I don't really play this anymore, I'm really happy for ANet, they're one of the few competent AAA PC developers. But on the other hand, Guild Wars was a far better game than it's sequel. :p

Cels

wow that's pretty sweet

i really like the change of direction they've made to their new content model (everything is permanently unlocked as long as you login during the 2-week release window)

they run 50% off ($24.99) sales every now and then so that would be a great time to jump in

Card Boy

Banned
Like clockwork.

Wall of shame me aswell. the game is fucken terrible and a step back from GW1 both PvE wise and in PvP. The skills in GW1 played like Magic the Gathering cards and you can make unique builds (too bad that tool Izzy nerfed them all).

GW2 is a zerg, DOTS and fetch fest.

Guild Wars 2 is such a radical departure from the first game. I understand the frustration of people who wanted more of the same as GW1, and instead, got something so different, there was little common ground.

It likely would have gone over much better had ArenaNet not called it Guild Wars 2. But it was their prerogative to do so.

It's hard to argue with the numbers though. It looks like in the end, ArenaNet made the right choice not to make a clone or direct continuation of Guild Wars 1. And in a sense, I prefer it this way too - GW1 and GW2 can be played separately, or together, and they don't compete. The first compliments the second (with the Hall of Monuments). And considering how many people I see running around with the maxed-out HoM titles in GW2, it's not been all doom and gloom for those coming from the first game.

Heck, Guild Wars 1 got a huge boost thanks to Guild Wars 2, people wanting to go see what the first game was all about, get some neat Hall of Monuments stuff. And GW1 is still 100% playable today, if a bit bloated from so much system creep over the last decade. Not much left for build diversity either in GW1, it's either Discordway or no way, especially if you want to get into parties doing the high-reward stuff. For all of its huge skill list, I'd wager 80% of them almost never get used except by people doing one-shot trick builds for PvP, or experimenting in PvE before just taking the 'best build' off the wiki and rotflstomping through the campaigns.

As for GW2, sure there's a lot of zerging (as there is in any open world MMO), and the "unity" system means you want to keep all the control systems in play (buff debuff), but I don't see either as problem. There's plenty of challenging content that cannot be zerged, and a person's skill is far more important than their gear or build, which was the point. Though that's not to everyone's taste.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wall of shame me aswell. the game is fucken terrible and a step back from GW1 both PvE wise and in PvP. The skills in GW1 played like Magic the Gathering cards and you can make unique builds (too bad that tool Izzy nerfed them all).

I honestly don't remember seeing you post in other threads... so no walls needed! That said, "fucken terrible" is lazy criticism and "fetch fest" is balls-out misleading, especially compared to, you know, GW1.

I played 2500+ hours of the first game and loved it, but prefer GW2's combat systems way more, so anyone's mileage may vary.
Miktar said:
Guild Wars 2 is such a radical departure from the first game. I understand the frustration of people who wanted more of the same as GW1, and instead, got something so different, there was little common ground.

It likely would have gone over much better had ArenaNet not called it Guild Wars 2.
On the one hand I know what you mean, and the gameplay is certainly a world apart, but I do think there are a lot of philosophical threads that connect the two games at their core, and I think it's a sequel in more ways than just the lore and universe. The leveling curve is gentle and plateaus quickly (some would say it even accelerates the closer you get to cap), reaching the level cap happens fairly early in the experience of playing a character (though obviously not so extreme), it's very easy to obtain statistically viable gear, organized PvP is a level statistical playing field out of the box, the toughest items to obtain are purely aesthetic, a max-limited skill bar, having a good guild is key, and of course the pure buy to play model. GW2 added a persistent world, converting it to a "true MMO," adopted a new way to deliver content, and changed many elements of gameplay while retaining these ideas. Again, your mileage may vary, but speaking only for myself, I played GW1 from pre-Beta and I don't feel like 2 is an improper or frustrating sequel.

I don't even remember reading a single post by you before, let alone approach the Swiss clockwork infallibility of Ikuu's posts. But don't let that stop you from feeling attacked, because my post was totally about how nobody is allowed to criticize GW2, ever.

By the way, I love how if you don't provide proof, you're criticizing someone baselessly, but if you do, you're wall of shaming them. :)

Guild Wars 1 was so much better. I liked GW2, but GW1 was such a better, more strategic game.

I loved unlocking AI party members and filling them out with gear and skills.

I hope they go back to that setup for GW3.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Guild Wars 1 was so much better. I liked GW2, but GW1 was such a better, more strategic game.
I think I might agree that in PvP it was more strategic, but not in PvE... the deck-building elements and assembling a party of heroes took some interesting thought (until the point where it was "solved" and you'd just pick out an ideal build), but I feel like the process of combat itself doesn't really hold up so well. It feels very static and kinda stuffy to me now. Preparing for individual counters beforehand was more strategic, but the actual moment-to-moment gameplay not so much (again, in PvE).
I loved unlocking AI party members and filling them out with gear and skills.

I hope they go back to that setup for GW3.
ahhh, yeah, I didn't really like that stuff at all. :p Used henchies a lot of the time even in EotN until Mercenary Heroes came out.

I do hope another online RPG emerges with the sort of features you're referencing (big skill palettes with restricted builds, customizable AI allies), but I very much doubt GW3 will be more similar to 1 than 2 by any stretch of the imagination. By all rights, GW2 has already been more successful in a shorter time frame in fewer markets.

Trey

Other players > hench/heroes. GW2 makes it extremely easy to make fast friends. You can play at your own pace in open world content and it never breaks the immersion for other players.

That's why this game is so successful, beyond all the other good it does.

Xiaoki

Isnt the 3.8 million number just characters created and not sales?

Some random website does a bad job translating and suddenly we have a new "internet fact".

Probably be best to wait for an official announcement.

Top Bottom