• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars Sorrows Furnace Update

etiolate

Banned
Is pretty fucking sex so far. New quests, new quests for high levels in early areas even. Grenth's footprint and Sorrows are new areas, War Camp is a new outpost. I've just done the first new quest opened up for those who have beaten the game, it's decent sized quest and it was actually fun fighting all the titans. One of the best new things are chest keys, instead of random chests that normally give dinky items, there are named chests you need keys for. So you buy the keys in town, use the key and the chest gives you one item, bu the items are a huge improvement over what you use to get or even over most drops. It's always a rare item, normally purple or gold. Plus, theres new weapons now which I haven't grabbed yet. I guess there are new Yakslapper staffs, new axes, hammers, etc.

PVP is also improved, faction is set back to what it was during PVP extreme weekend, which means major faction for buying skills. Also, you can have guild guests come in to try out your guild or join you for a gvg for up to 8 hours.

Also some skill changes, which I haven't really read into. PVP weekend had the major skill changes, with spirits nerfed. They did change I Will Avenge You to not count spirits and I'm worried they'll start trying to nerf it because of the W/R pvp build, but goddammit my guild made that build and I don't want it killed.

So yeah, so far so good. Except it's impossible to get a group for anything but the new quests and areas right now.

ParkPace

What about that Leroy Jenkins guy they put into that one quest? LOL. The dude freakin' screams his name out and then runs right into the next mob he sees. Forget giving your party any time to regroup between fights either. This one is off and running the second a battle ends. Guy is a MADMAN. Half of my party couldn't keep up with him. The skill he casts makes his quest pretty easy though. You just have to be on your toes the whole time and not snooze off.

- Thank god they removed the Attribute Refund points. They pissed me off to no end.

- I ended up doing the Droknar's Titan quest thinking it was the way to Grenth's/Sorrow's. People in my party were PISSED that that quest ended in a dead-end. :lol

- My first impression of the update is "they spent months working on this?" The zone is pretty small. I still like it though. More fun to fight in Sorrow's than the UW or Fissure. I was expecting fleshed-out areas like the Desert region or Kryta. More importantly, this gives me serious concern about the expansion. If it took them a long time to make two small'ish zones (comparitively), it's going to be a while for them to make areas that double the size of the world for the expansion. Sorrow's is pretty big but I was expecting more overworld areas than the tiny blip that is Grenth's.

- Keys/Chests rock. They also upped drops supposedly. Even in a full Sorrow's party I was still getting tons of items even without using keys. I was getting gold/purple drops left and right. Hell of a change from before. Here's hoping that translates to the rest of the world as well.

- Economy is about to take a freefall in GW. (Not that I care, as I have most things unlocked already and more money than I know what to do with.). Great items are a dime a dozen now.

- I'm PISSED that they removed the +5 energy sword from Denravi. Overall, the new items that are being crafted there suck compared to the old list. (Now there are just lesser versions of 20/20 items, instead of the unique equipment being crafted there previously.)

etiolate

Banned
What about that Leroy Jenkins guy they put into that one quest? LOL. The dude freakin' screams his name out and then runs right into the next mob he sees. Forget giving your party any time to regroup between fights either. This one is off and running the second a battle ends. Guy is a MADMAN. Half of my party couldn't keep up with him. The skill he casts makes his quest pretty easy though. You just have to be on your toes the whole time and not snooze off.

Yeah his shout is great, both in comedy and the kickass boost it gives you.

I wonder about the economy, because I have all this stuff and I'm not sure how to value it. I never was much a trader/money person, I make my money off of winning celestial sigils and selling them, but now I have gold and green weapons and no idea what to sell them for.

And yeah, with infinite attribute refunds I could go and change my ele from one type to the other or just adjust any character for an area's monsters if I want. Most people I know are spending as much time doing chest runs as they are exploring the new area. A lot are doing chest runs even more than trying the new quests.

ParkPace

The market for greens is going to plummet drastically in a few weeks. Most greens are pretty common drops since their respective bosses are only in Grenth's. The ones that will hold up in value over time are the ones coming from bosses that lie deep in Sorrow's. Right now people are paying top dollar for pretty much any green because they're so new, but the novelty will wear off. If you want to sell high on these, sell quickly.

Gold items are going to drop in price a bit from where they were simply because there are going to be more of them in players' hands with the chests and all. They should still remain fairly high though.

I agree with you that just as many, if not more, groups are being formed to farm rather than to do the new quests. I honestly don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I still believe that this update really didn't add too much to the game in terms of overall content though, and certainly less than I was expecting. I mean, there is only one new outpost, no new shield missions, not really any new explorable overworld areas, no new armor, no new weapons outside of the greens, and no new power-ups (even the greens are merely perfect versions of existing mods).

=W=

I think you may have expected too much out of the first free update, and I'm sure that the new chapters that you'll have to pay for will be much more substantial. This is probably just a small taste of what's to come. Plus, they're still trying to perfect the game mechanics and balance, ironing out the kinks. They have to get the current stuff right before they release the new stuff.

YakiSOBA

Yeah, this update or 'expansion' is a nice little something from the devs, but I'm really holding out for the first real expansion pack -- can't wait to see what kind of goodies they'll include :)

Did anyone download the music pack btw? Any good?

And lastly, what guild are you in etiolate?

etiolate

Banned
Oops, sorry I didn't know people replied to this thread.

I'm in Guild Wars Super Stars [SUX], formely Transformers Armada.

Is your guild rank 9 or are you rank 9?

YakiSOBA

Well we 'were' rank 9 on the ladder, I'm rank 8 atm with ~200 fame till im rank 9. Haven't played in a while though.

etiolate

Banned
What guild?

I actually played PVE today for the first time in awhile to get the halloween items.

I should probably tomb more as I'm just rank 6, but I'm picky as to who I play with I guess.

Top Bottom