• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

Volcynika

0Ka6ED6.png

rQwZyvY.png

• Prologue
    In the year 1999, humanity finally succeeded in creating what became to be known as “magic spells,” which were essentially sources of seemingly unlimited power. And though mankind had discovered the path leading to true wisdom, it was unable to renounce its foolish and destructive ways. Spells intended to help, nurture, and promote world peace were instead corrupted and used as weapons of war. As a result of this gross misuse of power, forbidden biological weapons known as GEARs came into existence. And not long after, as if to punish mankind for its folly, the GEARs developed wills and minds of their own, and inevitably turned against their human masters.
    The Crusades, the name given to the war which pitted humanity against their abominable creations, raged for almost a century before the armies of man succeeded in sealing away the harbinger of destruction, Justice. And though peace finally returned to the world, the remnants of the non-human forces lurked in the shadows, biding their time in hopes of one day making humanity atone for the misery their misuse of magic had caused.
  • Main Story
    "12:12 pm, October 21st, 2187"
    A young girl, identifying herself as Ramlethal Valentine, rose up to declare war against all the countries of the world by herself.
    And though a lone girl issued such a challenge, there wasn’t an individual, organization, or nation who failed to take her threat seriously. This was due to the fact that the one who attacked and virtually destroyed the capitol city of the Allied Kingdoms of Illyria in what was known as the “Baptism 13 Incident” claimed the name of Valentine as well.
    To find out the truth, the nations of the world were forced to rise up and take action.

XMkFZjI.png

NCSKUQg.png

• Celebrating its rich 16-year history as one of the most innovative fighting games ever, Guilty Gear Xrd-SIGN- brings its completely redesigned, extreme style and unique 3D animation to players everywhere
  • Extreme Battles Await - Guilty Gear's signature system, "Roman Cancel," has been significantly expanded and improved, creating endless fighting styles!
  • Arc System Works, developer of Guilty Gear, is legendary for its 2D animation style and decided to bring that sensibility to the world of 3D, creating a seamless and unique experience that will stun players with Guilty Gear's smooth, yet amazing graphics
  • Daisuke Ishiwatari, the multi-talented man behind Guilty Gear, once again arranges and composes the music of Guilty Gear Xrd-SIGN- featuring over 27 heavy rock tracks

ueLEkHn.png

• Network Modes - PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 players can battle each other!
    • Ranked Match -- For players that wish to challenge their way up the ladder and improve their overall ranking. (Standby Feature: Ability to play the offline modes while waiting for a match.)
    • Player Match -- For those that want to play with friends and/or not worry about ranks. (Standby Feature: Waiting for your turn? Watch matches of other players in the same room. Up to eight players can enter one room at once and up to four matches can be conducted simultaneously.)

• Practice Modes
    • Tutorial -- For players new to the Guilty Gear universe or just need a refresher. Sol and Sin walk you through the basics, rules, and controls of the game.
    • Mission -- Simulates multiple situations for players to improve their strategies.
    • Challenge -- Practice various combos for each character. From simple to highly advanced.
    • Training -- Work on improving your skill with a character. Can be done with CPU or with a friend.

• Battle Modes
    • Arcade -- Play eight matches against the CPU to see more of the story.
    • M.O.M. (Medal of Millionaire) -- Fight across a map of CPU opponents, earning ways to customize your character. Also can take the character online to fight other customized characters in a player match.
    • Versus -- Fight against the CPU or a player offline.

• Story Mode
    • Scenario -- Console exclusive mode where players can watch and enjoy the story of this iteration of Guilty Gear.

• Database Modes
    • Profile -- View all of your stats, fight history, trophies, everything you've gone through in gameplay.
    • Replay Theater -- Manage/view replays of matches. Able to also view them frame-by-frame for deeper analysis and attach short comments.
    • Gallery -- View artwork, movies, voices, and character profiles unlocked during gameplay.

Vgh5200.png

pR9tEf9.png
fR8RYfR.png
yNkgJke.png
yJ9PrfM.png

YfQ6AEw.png
jZB7PFG.png
QxNAT5s.png
LF5z2e7.png

1asZ4Gd.png
1ECeSFs.png
1x7LSUH.png
4krgvnK.png

cZIcQ6t.png
RUvB79a.png
iMwPef8.png
HYDjfi0.png

dYkULz8.png

atdi5VL.jpg
MpUbbtu.jpg

PdwuwWZ.jpg
GOrwq4a.jpg

j2kiEJm.jpg
WiWiHIL.jpg

Sn9zkRe.jpg
DLYmyVs.jpg

58UBPhV.png

qJMIM34.png

• Destructoid -- 9/10 (Reviewed By: Chris Carter)
  • IGN -- 8.5/10.0 (Reviewed By: Darry Husky)
  • USGamer -- 4.5/5.0 (Reviewed By: Mike Williams)

BGgZlOG.png

• Extensive Info
  • Gameplay Specific
    • Bursts - Dust + Any other button
      • Defensive -- Use while getting hit to escape from a combo by knocking away the opponent.
      • Offensive -- If it hits the opponent, your tension gauge will refill completely. Can use only if not under attack.
    • Roman Cancels - 3 buttons simultaneously (excluding Dust)
      • Red -- Costs 50% tension gauge. Happens when the opponent is in hit or block stun. Used to extend combos.
      • Yellow -- Costs 25% tension gauge. Happens when the opponent is not in hit or block stun. Used for okizeme, space control, mobility, and pressure.
      • Purple -- Costs 50% tension gauge. Happens when a YRC is performed late in the move.
      • Useful tutorial video about Roman Cancels.
    • Blitz Shield (HS + Any other button other than Dust while neutral) -- A shielded pose that repels the opponent’s attacks for a brief period of time. Creates an opening for a counter attack. Beware though, because after performing a BS, your opponent can do the same.
    • Danger Time -- Occasionally occurs when attacks from both sides land simultaneously. During DT, time will slow down and whoever hits the opponent first will get big damage out of the next combo.
  • Miscellaneous

ih8SnmO.png

• Question: Hey, where is [Guilty Gear Character I Love] at? I wanted to play as them :(
  • Answer: Ask Arc! But if there's anything to be seen with BlazBlue, I am sure we will get future revisions/expansions of the game which hopefully will see the return of the characters you know and love. Until then, that's all we have!

• Question: Wait, this has cross play?
  • Answer: Yes! If you and your friend have different versions of the game, you can still play each other online!

• Question: What differences are there between the PS3/PS4 versions?
  • Answer: Currently known: The PS3 version is 720p / 60FPS while the PS4 version is 1080p/ 60 FPS. Also, the PS4 version has a smartphone app tie-in that will be handy to manage tournaments and such.

• Question: Any reason to pick a version over the other?
  • Answer: Depends. PS3 has better support for fighting sticks currently. MadCatz has a stick coming out soon that will work for PS4 though. Arc System Works is aware of the work Lab Zero has made to make certain PS3 sticks work on the PS4, but they have emphasized this is not a confirmation of them using it. So standby for that. Also, PS4 has the whole share functionality if you're into that. And of course the smartphone app if you're into managing tourneys on the go.

• Question: How extensive are the online features?
  • Answer: There's a lot! This recent Gematsu article sums up some details from Famitsu.

• Question: I'm not sure about the soundtrack, any hope for me?
  • Answer: Well I enjoy it, but it has been confirmed you can use in-game currency to buy tracks from previous Guilty Gear games for use. Maybe a track or track(s) you love will be available!

• Question: Leo Whitefang isn't in your character section, why?
  • Answer: Just lack of good art and nothing that isn't a scan. He has not been confirmed for NA at this point, but assume he'll come as DLC too.

PbtW2Vt.png

Unite, Guilty-GAF!

Sign-up form | List of players

--------
Much thanks to notworksafe and Jotamide for their help. Feel free to recommend any additions Now, LET'S ROCK!

maouvin

Aww yisss! Good work OP.

Quoting this because it needs to be mentioned every so often:

Question: Wait, this has cross play?
Answer: Yes! If you and your friend have different versions of the game, you can still play each other online!

Lemstar

Reminder that if you're importing digitally at this point, wait the extra couple of hours and get it from the HK store instead of the Japanese store since it'll be cheaper (358HKD - 300+80 at Play-Asia is ~$57, while 5980JPY - 2x3000 at Play-Asia is $70 or $61 at Solaris with a longer wait time) and you'll get Elphelt for free.

Ferrio

Banned
Going to hopefully end up getting it tonight on the JPN store. Going to be paying *alot* more for it than I would the US version.... this is one of the few series I'll do that for.

PirateKing

Is there any link for the lack of characters compared to previous games? I wonder when Extend version comes out.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Team Millia checkin' in. :>

The PS4 demo was so pretty but... I can't play without a stick so I'll be snagging this on PS3.

Shinriji

I played a lot from the demo, day 1.

But for anyone that played the arcade version, what happend to "that man"?

Laconic

Banned
But it looks so much better on PS4.

I just have to figure out what character to learn now. Does it really have to be Venom.

1080 vs 720 is truly inconsequential to me, on a 32" screen or less.

Always has been, always shall be.

They are identical in every other aspect, so I think I am set. ;)

what style you looking for?

This is how it went down last time.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139385302&postcount=363

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139385572&postcount=364

I am not ready to commit to anything just yet though. Still want to mess around with Elphet a bit at least to see how difficult to handle her gun/aim gimmicks are.

1080 vs 720 is truly inconsequential to me, on a 32" screen or less.
Fair enoug, it's entirely a personal preference.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Outstanding OT Volcynika! Remebember to use the Google form to find people to get bodied with.

Squishy3

So... apparently you can force the PS3 version of the game to run in 1080p by unchecking 1080i and 720p in display settings. Someone who has the PS3 version want to do this and comment back if they notice FPS drops?

Is there any difference in the netcode between the PS4 and the PS3? Also anyone know how I can mod my TE stick to play on the PS4?

Bob White

Any word on when the HK version is going up? And what's with the lack of impressions? It's out and people have the JP version, why does this thread feel so dead?

Awesome OT! I'm definitely gonna read up on that 'useful links' section and the Xrd Wiki. I never truly learned GG and its system in the past when I played it, but I'm going to change that this time. I think I'll also try learning a character who isn't as complicated as Venom this time too; I should probably just start with Sol!

Are there any details yet as to what the customizations in the M.O.M. mode are? I'm guessing it's just changes to your character's health, move damage etc., and not visual customizations, right? It's great to see that they've included music from previous GG games that you can use in-game too (even though I think Xrd's music is fantastic). I wish all fighting games did that.

I can't believe that I'll actually get to play this game in less than 2 weeks! I haven't been so hyped for a new fighting game since VF5FS.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
So stoked for this. Any impressions of the netcode yet? Though ASW almost always delivers on that aspect.

Played some Japanese players. Most matches had noticeable lag and were zero bars, but it was still very playable. The game seems a bit more simplified and more accessible for newer players compared to previous versions, which makes online play feel better. One thing I don't like is that you are forced to pick your character ahead of time and cannot switch in player match rooms-- you have to back out into the lobby. (EDIT- You can switch in player rooms!) You also have to go through multiple menus to get to matches, like Network > Continent > Region > Lobby > Player Match/Ranked Match. The lobbies are up to 64 players like other recent Arc games, but you have to enter them this time. Unless I missed something, I didn't see an option to just do player or ranked matches against anyone, which is weird-- what happens if you were to get online and find all the lobbies full? Doubt this will ever happen, but still.

Would like to play more but most of the people online are just idling in lobbies or player match tooms, for whatever reason. Tokyo has almost everyone online at the moment. Ither regions are ghost towns.

Will be getting this on PS3. This game alone isn't enough to convince me to get a PS4 quite yet, but I'll eventually come around.

I haven't been following this game very closely, but the Guilty Gear XX games are a series of games that I've been following and playing for close to six years, playing at a semi-competitive level with close friends who were pretty skilled in their own right.

I look forward to playing this, but I will wait for the US release.

Lyte Edge

Holy SHIT at Ramlethal's instant kill move. That has got to be the most impressive super move in any fighting game. It's insane how cinematic it looks.

Lyte Edge

Also to note, the PS4 version has a 1+ GB patch that needs to be downloaded after the game is installed.

Top Bottom