• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero headlining Van Halen

Darklord said:
Guitar Hero: Heavy Metal of the 80's.

This would be soooo awesome. Expecially if they include NWOBHM bands and german power metal bands (Gamma Ray (kiske-hansen era), Blind Guardian, those kind of nice people)

-Eddman-

Spider_Jerusalem said:
This would be soooo awesome. Expecially if they include NWOBHM bands and german power metal bands (Gamma Ray (kiske-hansen era), Blind Guardian, those kind of nice people)

This, and I can die happy. I would kill to play "I Want Out" "Eagle Fly Free" or "Guardian of the Blind" in a band game. Too bad it will never happen though :(

Raistlin

Flynn said:
I'll be very disappointed if the let the series take a step back with Van Halen. I thought Metallica was a really great start.

A game called Guitar Hero is taking a step back by releasing a Van Halen themed title?

:lol :lol :lol

*can't breath*

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Onix said:
A game called Guitar Hero is taking a step back by releasing a Van Halen themed title?

*can't breath*

I don't think he's talking about the music not being good enough...

benita316

Banned
Why do people continue to cry like bitches about this?

It's about as dumb as saying "Oh noes, Sony Music Entertainment please stop releasing new CDs every week!!1!

Do we really need a Foo Fighters CD? You've already released Bob Dylan and Justin Timberlake records this year!!!!1! ROFL at anyone who keeps buying these!!!?1"

cakefoo

benita316 said:
Why do people continue to cry like bitches about this?

It's about as dumb as saying "Oh noes, Sony Music Entertainment please stop releasing new CDs every week!!1!

Do we really need a Foo Fighters CD? You've already released Bob Dylan and Justin Timberlake records this year!!!!1! ROFL at anyone who keeps buying these!!!?1"
Justin Timberlake sucks, get it?

But before you mistranslate that as "Van Halen/Metallica/Aerosmith sucks," let me break down the metaphor. Guitar Hero franchise = Sony Music. Any new album Sony Music distributes, regardless of the musician, is still going to be Sony Music.

Flynn

Onix said:

*can't breath*

I can't tell what you're laughing about.

benita316

Banned
cakefoo said:
Justin Timberlake sucks, get it?

But before you mistranslate that as "Van Halen/Metallica/Aerosmith sucks," let me break down the metaphor. Guitar Hero franchise = Sony Music. Any new album Sony Music distributes, regardless of the musician, is still going to be Sony Music.

I think you're the one who mistranslated the original comparison.

People are bitching about more GH games even though they are completely separate, cater to different tastes and are not compulsory purchases.

By that logic, people should be writing to SME begging them to "OMG please stop!" releasing music from artists who cater to different tastes just because they have the SME logo on the jewel case.

EazyB

Banned
benita316 said:
I think you're the one who mistranslated the original comparison.

People are bitching about more GH games even though they are completely separate, cater to different tastes and are not compulsory purchases.

By that logic, people should be writing to SME begging them to "OMG please stop!" releasing music from artists who cater to different tastes just because they have the SME logo on the jewel case.
A better metaphor would be SME releasing CDs that can't be uploaded into iTunes so that consumers can't listen to all their music in one place and without digging for different disks.

Oh yeah, and fuck you Activision, GH:WT will be the first game I trade in since the N64. I hope Gamestop sells it for $40 and you never see a cent of it.

benita316

Banned
EazyB said:
A better metaphor would be SME releasing CDs that can't be uploaded into iTunes so that consumers can't listen to all their music in one place and without digging for different disks.

Oh yeah, and fuck you Activision, GH:WT will be the first game I trade in since the N64. I hope Gamestop sells it for $40 and you never see a cent of it.

:lol

Upload this.

l0029837.gif.jpg

C4Lukins

Wow Van Halen. And there I was complaining about Aerosmith. Activision has outdone themselves. I mean Van Halen is barely worthy of your local classic rock station, and has not had a hit in fifteen years. Who was asking for this?

Raistlin

Flynn said:
I can't tell what you're laughing about.

Could you explain what you meant by, "taking a step back"?

While what band one likes is subjective, the game is Guitar Hero. Hammet is certainly accomplished, but EVH is considered a 'guitar god'.

C4Lukins

Onix said:

While what band one likes is subjective, the game is Guitar Hero. Hammet is certainly accomplished, but EVH is considered a 'guitar god'.

My problem with EVH is that he has all of the talent in the world, and then he just belts out the most obnoxious guitar solos. It seems to be a curse with the guitar savants around the world. The most talented tend to be horrible song writers who only use their skills for evil.

TeethMummy said:
I love how Rock band fanboys act like Rock band: AC/DC and The Beates: Rock band are different then GH.

They are though. The Beatles game will start from beginning to the end of their era and more recreating the iconic moments and the venues of their time (with the rooftop performance being the last performance in the game. Yes, I'm confirming this right now!). I won't get into the "Rock Band started drums and mic" but what I'll say is that I don't want songs by other artists. GH:Metallica adds other tracks to justify the lack of Metallica tracks. 28 from the band, and 21 others from bands? I rather have 21 other tracks as DLC for GH:WT or RB2. The Beatles game includes more than 45 remastered Beatles tracks including unreleased material.

C4Lukins

TeethMummy said:
I love how Rock band fanboys act like Rock band: AC/DC and The Beates: Rock band are different then GH.

I am not a big AC/DC fan, and I do not think that game is particularly compelling on its own, but the difference between it and the multiple GH games is that you can transfer those songs onto the platform itself or completely ignore the game.

The Beatles is an entirely different matter just because it is the Beatles. They are on a different level of popularity then any other band in existence, and if a company has to make a few concessions to work with them then it is understandable, but we do not have to like it. But for all we know the Beatles Rock Band may allow for the tracks to be transfered to the main Rock Band games. And even if that does not happen, it does seem that they are making a very original experience with the game unlike what we have seen with the multiple GH cash-ins. The Rock Band platform has been consistantly more rewarding to its fans then the GH franchise has, but if Rock Band sways from its current path with the next few games then I will be the first to call them out on it.

Flynn

Onix said:

I figured my whole post describing the things I'd like to see a Guitar Hero: Van Halen game do did a pretty good job of describing what I think a step back for the game would be.

Raistlin

C4Lukins said:
My problem with EVH is that he has all of the talent in the world, and then he just belts out the most obnoxious guitar solos. It seems to be a curse with the guitar savants around the world. The most talented tend to be horrible song writers who only use their skills for evil.

I think he's a mixed bag in that regard. Some of his solos are certainly ill-conceived - the typical noodling wankery you'd expect from a savant ... however, others are quite brilliant. Not just in terms of technical achievement, but in terms of creativity and in actually serving the song.

Hopefully they'll pick more from that latter group, and less from the group where the solo is out on an island, seemingly having nothing to do with the rest of the song :p

Flynn said:
I figured my whole post describing the things I'd like to see a Guitar Hero: Van Halen game do did a pretty good job of describing what I think a step back for the game would be.

I see. Guess I'll have to look up that post
Doh!

XShagrath

Achievement List
http://www.destructoid.com/guitar-hero-van-halen-achievements-reveal-first-details-130367.phtml

Have You Seen His Grades? 5 GP (Complete a tutorial level)
It's Alive 5 GP (Unlock Eddie's Frankenstein guitar)
Ouch! 5 GP (Create a custom tattoo)
Intruder 10 GP (Complete the career intro)
Van Halen 10 GP (Complete a career on Beginner, Band or Solo)
Every Band Wants Some! 10 GP (Complete a song with the full band, 4 player band)
They Ran With The Devil 10 GP (All band members get a 50 note streak at the same time)
Somebody Get Them a Doctor 10 GP (Hit 100% of the notes in a song as a band)
Atomic Power Punk 10 GP (All band members activate star power at the same time)
Hung High 10 GP (All band members earn 8x multiplier at the same time)
EVH 10 GP (Unlock all of the Van Halen instruments)
The Broken Combs 15 GP (Complete a gig in West Hollywood)
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Dallas 15 GP (Complete a gig in Dallas)
Far Away Lands 15 GP (Complete gigs in London and The Netherlands)
The Space Brothers 15 GP (Complete gigs in Los Angeles and Rome)
Van Halen II 15 GP (Complete a career on Easy)
Jump 15 GP (Complete all Van Halen songs)
Rock Out Big Cities 20 GP (Complete gigs in Berlin and New York City)
Unchained 20 GP (Unlock all Van Halen characters)
Women and Children First 25 (Complete a career on Medium)
Fair Warning 35 (Complete a career on Hard)
The Tour is Ending 35 GP (Complete a majority of the gigs)
Diver Down 45 GP (Complete a career on Expert)
1984 55 GP (complete a career on Expert+)
The Wood Shed 60 GP (5 star guitar for 'Little Guitars,' 'Cathedral,' 'Spanish Fly,' and 'Eruption' on Expert)
316 65 GP (5 Star all Van Halen songs on Bass Career)
Diamond in the Rough (5 Star all Van Halen songs on Vocal Career on Expert)
Double Bass Master 75 (5 Star all Van Halen songs on Drum Career)
Guitar God 100 GP (5 Star all Van Halen songs on Guitar Career) expert
5150 100 GP (Complete all Van Halen songs on every instrument)

(The rest are "secret" achievements)

BioHazard

If those achievements are real, then I say...WTF with the 5-star expert shit again. They were on a roll with achievements after GH3 :(.I mean goddam.

I will still buy this.

Based on their new progression system (that being "hey, beat 10 random songs!") I appreciate them putting in achievements for Super Performances.

I hope they put some of Sammy's solo stuff and Montrose on there. I loved "Heavy Metal." Although all my favorite Van Halen songs are with David Lee Roth pre 1984. I despise "Jump" and 1984 in general.

Top Bottom