• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero Live | Review Thread

espher

My experience with the game today has been that GHTV is the dealmaker.

It's the best thing to ever happen to Guitar Hero.

I'm just turned off of the prospect of 'grinding' songs to play other songs and/or paying and not having any 'ownership' of them. At the time I made that post I was also still under the impression XBLG/PS+ was required (though I've since found out that's not the case). I had cancelled my pre-order based on that but would probably still have it and give the game a shot otherwise.

I'm just legit surprised this is in the 9+ camp w/ a lot of reviews, considering, but then again I mean I really liked DJ Hero so I had some faith in the devs.

ViciousDS

Banned
I'm just turned off of the prospect of 'grinding' songs to play other songs and/or paying and not having any 'ownership' of them. At the time I made that post I was also still under the impression XBLG/PS+ was required (though I've since found out that's not the case). I had cancelled my pre-order based on that but would probably still have it and give the game a shot otherwise.

I'm just legit surprised this is in the 9+ camp w/ a lot of reviews, considering, but then again I mean I really liked DJ Hero so I had some faith in the devs.

not having ownership though might lead to nearly otherwise impossible bands in the game.....like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. I like GHTV because it allows those who don't want to spend a crap load on DLC to get a full experience. My little brother wanted RB4 but he has absolutely no DLC for it and the on disc songs for RB4 are......really underhwleming. With GHTV he can click a channel and enjoy tons of songs and once in awhile if he wants to take a break go use a token to play a specific song he wants. The on disc songs for Live have pulled me in more than RB4. I haven't hit a song I don't like yet.....it just might be the FMV effect pulling me in though. It really is cool.

T.O.P

Banned
SlantMagazine - 10

Between the GH Live and GHTV components, Guitar Hero Live effectively crafts the illusion of being in and of the moment. This zeitgeist-y medley of angst and ambition is an absolute dream to play, and with over 200 songs already streaming, one that most players will never have to wake up from.

Hobby Consolas - 8.5

*spanish words*

Escapist Magazine - 7.5

I give Guitar Hero: Live a ton of respect for trying so many radically different things, even if I'm not a fan of a many of them. GHTV in particular is an ingenious creation and it will be interesting to see how Activision and FreeStyle Games support it in the coming months. If they can keep on providing a regular stream of new songs and compelling set lists for the premium channels, GH: Live will certainly never be too far from my console.

Rock Band 4 is still my go to plastic instrument party game, but it's good to know that once the party dies down and my friends go home, I can switch guitars, kick back, and enjoy playing along to my some of my favorite music videos on GHTV.

Gamesradar - 7.5

Guitar Hero Live ensnares the ephemeral rock star dream like no other rhythm action game before it, bottles it, and puts it in one of those hotel fridges that charges loads. It’s a jukebox to continually slot coins into when all you want to do is thump it to life Fonzie-style. It’s epic wish fulfillment for anyone who’s ever danced alone in their room picturing themselves playing Glastonbury, only predominantly more expensive than an air guitar.

So this or Rock Band 4? The latter's reaction to your ability is more nuanced, the backwards compatibility a big pull, the pricing system more natural and it lets you play drums. Guitar Hero Live has a slightly superior guitar peripheral and on-disc tracklist, and certainly the makings of being the best music game ever made. But that's still Rock Band 4.

All updated

Top Bottom