• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero On Tour for DS revealed! (first info, pictures and video!)

DJ GT-S

Banned
Looks horrible.

The whole point of GH is the plastic guitar, to turn that into scrubbing the touch screen with a stylus makes as much sense as playing DDR with a gamepad.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
10F9C281-1255-CA72-7C6313632F7B3305gh_on_tour-image002.jpg

Saki!!!

Linkup

Polari said:
Retarded. They could have given you coloured stickers for the face buttons to exactly the same effect.

Do you not own a DS? Holding the DS like that and pressing the face buttons vs the Guitar Grip attachment is not going to be the same, at all.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
It's a cool solution when you consider the limitations and all, but I really don't see the need to play Guitar Hero anywhere. And it won't be the same thing on a tiny screen with no guitar controller, and with bad sound quality at that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I like that the commercial didn't show the kids wearing headphones as if it'd be possible to play this without them. :lol

I'm not really convinced by the idea of it all, strapping your DS to your hand. And why are they acting so stupid!

Now why I'm really posting: What the name of the song played in the back? It rawks! :D

Peru

How could anyone resist this...

Fake guitar jamming on the road.

I'm away from my place of residence for over a month during summer time, my yearning for guitar based rhythm action is insufferable.

This is the best possible portable solution, it really does look comfortable.

The GH series is superfluous after Rock Band outside of this portable venture.

Sad, misanthropic bastards.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
y'all a bunch of hatas up in here

Whether or not I get this depends on cost. It looks like a fun little diversion...I was expecting Activision to just mail it in with like an Ouendan clone or something.

Christine

I don't get the loathing. I mean, I expected that a fair number of people would be apathetic towards this, but I don't understand the extremity of some of the reactions. Are some of you thinking this is coming out in lieu of something that could be much better? If so, how?

Spoit

TwinIonEngines said:
Which would make it quite a bit more expensive than a bit of plastic with four buttons and a card edge connector. I don't want this game to be $90.
GH3 Wii much? Only $10 less than the other versions for a plastic shell instead of a complete controller

While I am no fan of Guitar Hero franchise, I understand why it works and sells (mainly because the controller is shaped like a guitar, and it being a party game). This, I don't.

ZeoVGM

Banned
monkeylite said:
While I am no fan of Guitar Hero franchise, I understand why it works and sells (mainly because the controller is shaped like a guitar, and it being a party game). This, I don't.

It sells because it's fun..

Christine

Spoit said:
GH3 Wii much? Only $10 less than the other versions for a plastic shell instead of a complete controller

That's not nearly as bad as charging $70 ($70?!) for the standalone shell. But this merely reinforces my point: Activision/RO likes a nice fat margin on hardware - I don't want the cost of flash memory added into the equation on top of that.

monkeylite said:
Would it be fun if the controller isn't shaped like a guitar?
You are correct. GH is shit when you try and play it with a controller and I'm not sure how comfortable this thing will be so I am very skeptical about this whole thing.

jibblypop

Banned
This is definitely the best solution for doing guitar hero on DS. i'm very surprised that they actually came up with something that will work. i'm not sure if i will buy this since i could just play the console one but i can't deny how clever the GBA-slot attachment is.

hokahey

monkeylite said:
Would it be fun if the controller isn't shaped like a guitar?

Yes. The guitar just adds to the effect. There are other rhythm games on the DS that are plenty fun.

I am amazed at the haters in this thread. No it's not the full blown GH experience, but for a portable it looks great and will sell by the bucket loads.

Can't wait to take my GH "on tour." :D

Tiktaalik

That's pretty clever, but I'm really over Guitar Hero at this point, and I can't really imagine getting into this. As well, most of the fun of Guitar Hero is the actual guitar.

Kusagari

FlyinJ said:
Blowing on the screen is one of the stupidest "gameplay enhancing" features of the DS. You're basically spitting on your screen. It's disgusting. And what does it add to the experience? Absolutely nothing.

That followed by having to make a noise into the mic. I play my DS on the train. I'm not going to start yelling shit at a little plastic box, and I'm especially not going to clap my hands like M&S at the olympics wants me to.

The mic should be used for wifi chat and nothing else.

It's one of the most ANNOYING things I've seen in years. Every single game besides Wario Ware feels horrible with it.

larvi

Slacker said:
You don't have an opposable thumb? :O

Haven't watched the videos but that last picture makes it doesn't look like the thumb is going to do a lot to keep the DS from getting pushed to the left unless there is some sort of strap.

Dilbert

omg rite said:
You played it?
If it makes you feel any better, I will make the implied "based on this description" explicit.

However, I don't see why you're surprised or indignant at my reaction. Based on what makes Guitar Hero a good game, how can this game NOT completely suck? Instead of a controller which is comfortable and more-or-less resembles an instrument, you have a handful of colored buttons tacked onto the bottom of a handheld. Instead of a system which can play CD-quality audio through decent speakers, you have a handheld which is underpowered in the audio department. Instead of five fret buttons which allow for several levels of complexity, you get four buttons. Instead of a game with 50-60 songs, you get...20 songs? And, oh, they also not only are keeping around the annoying-as-fuck boss battle thing from GH3, but they are making it worse by making you do stupid shit like blowing on your system? And reducing how portable your DS is by making you carry around another piece of equipment? (I'm not saying the last one is necessarily real, but then again, half of GAF thinks that the PSP's gargantuan size makes it completely non-portable when compared to a DS, so obviously those folks must be upset here...right?)

Look, music/rhythm games are awesome, and I'm all for them. DS already has EBA/Ouendan, and you would think that games that played something like Frequency or Amplitude would work great on a DS as well. PSP has some awesome ones as well -- DJ Max Portable, Gitaroo Man, etc. The thing which pisses me off here is that this game has the NAME of Guitar Hero, but absolutely none of what made Guitar Hero such a successful franchise.

Top Bottom