• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam SEED DESTINY sequel movie is finally revealed: Gundam SEED FREEDOM

Fz3_L3BacAEmd9h

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED FREEDOM Staff:

- Planning/Production: SUNRISE
- Original Story: Hajime Yatate, Yoshiyuki Tomino
- Director: Mitsuo Fukuda
- Screenplay: Chiaki Moroshima, Ryu Goto, Mitsuo Fukuda
- Character Design: Hisashi Hirai
- Mechanical Design: Kunio Okawara, Kimitoshi Yamane, Kazutaka Miyatake, Junichi Akutsu, Manabu Shintani, Zenseava, Takuya Io, Hiroyuki Taiga
- Chief Mechanical Animation Director: Satoshi Shigeta
- Color Design: Akemi Nagao
- Art Director: Shigemi Ikeda, Yukiko Maruyama
- CG Director: Mitsuhiro Sato, Kensuke Kushida, Tomohiro Fujie
- Monitor Works: Azusa Tamura, Jiro Kageyama
- Director of Photography: Takeshi Katsurayama, Shigenori Toyooka
- Editing: Yukiko Nojiri
- Sound Director: Sadayoshi Fujino
- Music: Toshihiko Sahashi
- Production: Bandai Namco Filmworks
- Distributor: Bandai Namco Filmworks, Shokichu ODS Office

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
All I remember is that I really liked Seed And Destiny back then, but I have no idea what it was about anymore. Are there any new good Gundam series?

Last edited:

Blade2.0

All I remember is that I really liked Seed And Destiny back then, but I have no idea what it was about anymore. Are there any new good Gundam series?
Iron blooded orphans is my favorite Gundam of them all, if you haven't seen it. I haven't watched it but heard the witch of Mercury is amazing too. I never watched SEED because I was upset it wasn't more Wing, haha. I'll have to finally give it a watch.

Iron blooded orphans is great, though. Goes really hard into the "child soldiers" thing that most Gundam series just skip over or barely acknowledge. shit goes places.

Bojji

Iron blooded orphans is my favorite Gundam of them all, if you haven't seen it. I haven't watched it but heard the witch of Mercury is amazing too. I never watched SEED because I was upset it wasn't more Wing, haha. I'll have to finally give it a watch.

Iron blooded orphans is great, though. Goes really hard into the "child soldiers" thing that most Gundam series just skip over or barely acknowledge. shit goes places.

Yep, IBO is amazing!.

I watched first 2 episodes of Witch few months ago, I have to continue.

Sakura

This movie was announced when I was still in high school, almost 20 years ago. Better late than never I guess.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Seed Destiny went to absolute shit after they decided to not kill off Kira and instead even have it become the Kira show afterwards, because of fans/ratings whatever; seeing how this show is called "freedom", it's probably just more uninteresting Jesus Yamato action.

Nothing like some unconfirmed SEED leaks, it really does feel like the mid-2000s, how nostalgic. Get your salt licker.

First off, some supposed suit designs Freedom Kai and Justice Kai on the left, and the new upgrades for Strike Freedom and Infinite Justice on the right. These do match up with a separate leak for the model kit expo happening at the end of the month, but we'll have to wait and see.

F57odq1aQAAjcKY.jpg

And some leaks from chinese forums that were posted elsewhere. Again, take with a salt lick.

The new Freedom and Justice are not nuclear powered as limited by the treaty.

Shinn pilots the new Justice, Athrun pilots the new Infinite Justice Variant.

The enemy is also a super coordinator like Kira. Kira will be in a pinch dealing with him.

Athrun is on some diplomatic/spy duty which limits his time as a ms pilot in the movie.

Cosmic Era Gyan.

There will be a scene of Shinn rushing in to save Kira from danger.

Destiny gundam will still make its appearance.

There is a plot reason as to why the new Infinite Justice is equipped with this shabby looking backpack. The actual custom made backpack will likely be delivered to Athrun by Shinn.

Death of an important character from the TV.

Shinn and Lunamaria having twins by the end.

Paltheos

There's a strange obsession with giving so many of the new designs very traditional wing designs (that Gelgoog's not even color-coordinated).

lol at the Impulse being completely the same but just being called the Mark II. I guess Shin's been downgraded too for his audacity for opposing Jesus Yamato.

gundamkitscollection also has shots of the new Freedom and Justice in action too and my impressions are... mixed. I like the twin gimmick of giving both new, similar looking mobile armor modes, but Justice seems to have gotten the short end of the stick. It's pretty clear that the MA mode and Freedom design were made priorities and whatever form the Justice would take would just have to follow - the wing design and loss of its iconic glider are testament to that. The new Justice looks functionally worse, with fewer tools at its disposal than before. Beam swords look pretty cool at least. Freedom on the other hand looks like the original Freedom smattered with elements of the Strike Freedom and a little F91 sprinkled in.

Knee jerk reaction is that the original Freedom and Justice designs from the original show are still the coolest of the now 3 iterations of the designs. The original Freedom is majestic, and the Rising Freedom looks a little off in most regards. Looks... kinda Build Strikey with that bright blue and wonky proportions (those F91 shoulders are cool though). The original Justice is hulking and a little intimidating, and the Immortal Justice is just a less gimmicky version of the Infinite Justice (who was always kinda plain). But I think I might like it more than Infinite - less plain.

New main visual, trailer, and synopsis released.

The theme song is "FREEDOM" by Takanori Nishikawa with t.komuro

In C.E. 75, the conflict continues. With independence movements, Blue Cosmos invasion persisting, to stabilize the situation, the World Peacekeeping Organization, COMPASS, was established with Lacus as its inaugural president. Kira and the others intervene in various battles worldwide as members. Then, the emerging nation Foundation proposes a joint operation against the Blue Cosmos headquarters.

Z9EgEN9.jpg

F_KGngvaoAMCKcI

Last edited:

killatopak

Where can I watch this in English? Do I have to wait for Blurays or something because it is only Japanese Cinema exclusive?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Fz3_L3BacAEmd9h

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED FREEDOM Staff:

- Planning/Production: SUNRISE
- Original Story: Hajime Yatate, Yoshiyuki Tomino
- Director: Mitsuo Fukuda
- Screenplay: Chiaki Moroshima, Ryu Goto, Mitsuo Fukuda
- Character Design: Hisashi Hirai
- Mechanical Design: Kunio Okawara, Kimitoshi Yamane, Kazutaka Miyatake, Junichi Akutsu, Manabu Shintani, Zenseava, Takuya Io, Hiroyuki Taiga
- Chief Mechanical Animation Director: Satoshi Shigeta
- Color Design: Akemi Nagao
- Art Director: Shigemi Ikeda, Yukiko Maruyama
- CG Director: Mitsuhiro Sato, Kensuke Kushida, Tomohiro Fujie
- Monitor Works: Azusa Tamura, Jiro Kageyama
- Director of Photography: Takeshi Katsurayama, Shigenori Toyooka
- Editing: Yukiko Nojiri
- Sound Director: Sadayoshi Fujino
- Music: Toshihiko Sahashi
- Production: Bandai Namco Filmworks
- Distributor: Bandai Namco Filmworks, Shokichu ODS Office

I Hope is coming to Mexico.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Gundam Seed is one of the worst entries in the franchise. Sees Destiny is even worse.

For what it's worth, Wing is a middle ranked entry. It's not bad but there are better shows in the franchise

Well give me the good shows. I watched Wing in the 90s on syndication.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
My favorites:
Original series
Zeta
Char's Counterattack
Victory
Unicorn
Victory Gundam

All of the above are linked. Watch in that order.

Below are also great
Turn A Gundam
Iron-blooded Orphans

My favorites:
Original series
Zeta
Char's Counterattack
Victory
Unicorn
Victory Gundam

Below are also great
Turn A Gundam
Iron-blooded Orphans
You said Victory twice, and it is pretty self contained because it's set very late in the universal century. It doesn't require knowledge of any of the main series that takes places earlier in the timeline, not even F91.

The suggestion I would give to anyone interested in the main timeline is to watch in release order. Start with Mobile Suit Gundam (tv series or the 3 compilation movies), Zeta (tv series, not the movies), Char's Counterattack, and Unicorn (OVAs, not the tv series RE0096)

0080 War In The Pocket and Turn A are great. Also 08th MS Team and 0083 Stardust Memory.

IBO is only good in the first season. Second season falls off like a cliff.

Blackage

Seed Destiny went to absolute shit after they decided to not kill off Kira and instead even have it become the Kira show afterwards, because of fans/ratings whatever; seeing how this show is called "freedom", it's probably just more uninteresting Jesus Yamato action.
This thread has no discussion about the delicious behind the scenes drama that resulted in what we got with Destiny? There's so much hilarious drama involving the Voice actress for Cagali and the lead writer's wife.
One of the behind-closed-doors theories is that Fukuda's wife (who was the writer for the series) believed that Cagalli's voice actor was sleeping with him, since she was going through a series of medical procedures during Destiny's production that kept her away from the studio/home. When Shinn's voice actor stood up for Cagalli's VO about how the drama was unfounded/inappropriate for the work place, Shinn the character had his mental decline, was then replaced by Kira and Athrun as the main protagonists, and Cagalli lost any personality she grew in SEED.
This theory is mainly supported by a combination of commentary by the voice actors post production, and in remembrance of the fact that SEED and Destiny were supposed to be modern variants of 0079 into Zeta. The VO for Shinn has gone on the record commenting that the personality of Shinn in the Super Robot Wars series is what he was supposed to be. In the same game multiple protagonists from other universes call Kira out for his unrealistic and delusional belief that he can be a one-man solution to stopping war.
EDIT: TL;DR: Shinn was supposed to be Kamille, and got turned into Jerid instead because of production drama.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
This thread has no discussion about the delicious behind the scenes drama that resulted in what we got with Destiny? There's so much hilarious drama involving the Voice actress for Cagali and the lead writer's wife.
One of the behind-closed-doors theories is that Fukuda's wife (who was the writer for the series) believed that Cagalli's voice actor was sleeping with him, since she was going through a series of medical procedures during Destiny's production that kept her away from the studio/home. When Shinn's voice actor stood up for Cagalli's VO about how the drama was unfounded/inappropriate for the work place, Shinn the character had his mental decline, was then replaced by Kira and Athrun as the main protagonists, and Cagalli lost any personality she grew in SEED.
This theory is mainly supported by a combination of commentary by the voice actors post production, and in remembrance of the fact that SEED and Destiny were supposed to be modern variants of 0079 into Zeta. The VO for Shinn has gone on the record commenting that the personality of Shinn in the Super Robot Wars series is what he was supposed to be. In the same game multiple protagonists from other universes call Kira out for his unrealistic and delusional belief that he can be a one-man solution to stopping war.
EDIT: TL;DR: Shinn was supposed to be Kamille, and got turned into Jerid instead because of production drama.

lmao, first I've heard that. Durandal was the only good thing about Seed Destiny, and that was solely on the fact he's voiced by Shuuichi Ikeda

Porcile

My favorites:
Original series
Zeta
Char's Counterattack
Victory
Unicorn
Victory Gundam

Below are also great
Turn A Gundam
Iron-blooded Orphans
Why did you leave out ZZ? ZZ is essential viewing to understand the full story.

Last edited:

Paltheos

I'm looking forward to this, as a long-time lover of SEED and shitter on SEED Destiny. I expect it to be a disaster but expect (hope?) there to be elements of it that I've liked from this universe before. Music, cool-looking cuts, and solid mech design have usually been reliable. I'm anxious about the 3D making all the fights look worse though, and the mecha design I've seen has been generally worse.

The progression of the Freedom and Justice designs is a neat allegory for the series as a whole. The first set look like real partners and have the best overall designs, at a point in the story where the producers actually cared about SEED's story. The second iteration clearly favors Kira in design because he's known to be the most popular character; the designs themselves also look gaudy (gold joints!?) or functionally after-thoughty (Strike Freedom is armed with several weapons that are useless in the atmosphere; Infinite Justice's backpack can't be used as a standable flight unit and IJ's equipped with a physical shield at a technological point where those are treated as obsolete). This last set's probably the worst overall. Rising Freedom was (again) clearly designed first and to just be kind of a do-over of OG Freedom but there's this awful Build Fighters stink coming from awkward color scheming and part-swapping that leave the whole thing not feeling cohesive. Immortal Justice looks like it was designed to pair with it (the wings in particular) but without anything to make it really stand out on its own.

Nami Tamaki is back with a new song for Freedom

Neat. I think it's worse than her past work (those sudden stops in the first few seconds are jarring, and in general fantastic tracks like Reason are just tough to top) but she's part of the profile to SEED really. Most of it sounds good. I'm glad she's back.

New post-release trailer showing off final battle suits

Gunpla trailer for Mighty Strike Freedom and Infinite Justice Type II

New Mecha revealed:

mecha_13.png

ZGMF/A-262B Strike Freedom Gundam Type II
A modified version of the Strike Freedom Gundam with updated parts. Equipped with wings from the Strike Freedom on the back, it inherits distinctive armaments such as the Agni cannon on the abdomen and railguns on both hips.
Pilot: Kira Yamato

mecha_14.png

ZGMF/A-262PD-P Mighty Strike Freedom Gundam
The Strike Freedom Gundam Type II equipped with the Proud Defender. The beam on the forehead consumes a large amount of energy, so it can only be used when docked with the Proud Defender.
Pilot: Kira Yamato, Lacus Clyne

mecha_15.png

MDE262S Proud Defender
A new type of wing designed under Albert's leadership in the development section of Kira and Compass. Controlled by psychic sensitivity, it releases numerous nano particles and high-voltage lightning. Additionally, it is equipped with the sword “Futsunomitama” used by the Strike Freedom Gundam Type II.
Pilot: Lacus Clyne

mecha_18.png

ZGMF/A-42S2 Destiny Gundam Spec II
A unit modified from the Destiny Gundam. With enhanced power, the color scheme has changed, and the cockpit has been replaced with the same panoramic monitor as the Strike Freedom Gundam Type II. It features Variable Phase Shift (VPS) armor.
Pilot: Shinn Asuka

mecha_19.png

ZGMF-X191M2 Infinite Justice Gundam Type II
A unit modified from the Infinite Justice Gundam. The newly designed wings enable it to handle ultra-high-speed combat. The cockpit features the same panoramic monitor as the Strike Freedom Gundam Type II, and it is equipped with Variable Phase Shift (VPS) armor.
Pilot: Athrun Zala

mecha_20.png

ZGMF-MM07 Z’Gok
A temporary form to conceal the Infinite Justice Gundam Type II. It is equipped with weaponry such as missiles and mega particle cannons. Additionally, it can dock the wings of the Infinite Justice Gundam Type II on its back.
Pilot: Athrun Zala

mecha_24.png

NOG-M2D1/E Black Knight Squad Cal-re.A
A unit independently developed by Foundation while incorporating Plant technology. The cockpit is dual-seated, with the front seat handling piloting and the rear seat managing weapons control. It adopts the next-generation armor called “Femtec Armor” (FT Armor).
Pilot: Orphee Lam Tao, Ingrid Tradoll

mecha_22.png

ZGMF-1027M Duel Blitz Gundam
A unit secretly modified from the Duel Gundam, retrofitted with a nuclear power system. The cockpit has been replaced with the same one as the Zaku Warrior. In addition to the conventional Duel Gundam armaments, it also features weaponry reminiscent of the Blitz Gundam.
Pilot: Yzak Jule

mecha_23.png

ZGMF-103HD Lightning Buster Gundam
A unit secretly modified from the Buster Gundam, retrofitted with a nuclear power system. The cockpit has been replaced with the same one as the Zaku Warrior. Similar to the Buster, it is well-equipped with long-range weaponry, including missiles, beam cannons, and beam guns.
Pilot: Dearka Elthman

mecha_16.png

STTS/F-400 Mu’s Murasame Kai
An improved version of the Murasame. While retaining its basic frame and armaments, its shape and transformation mechanism have been significantly updated. Deployed as part of the Archangel's forces, it is also utilized as a mainstay unit in the Orb military.
Pilot: Mu La Flaga

mecha_29.png

LHM-BB03S Millennium
The main force supplied by ZAFT for Compass, the Super Minerva-class battleship inheriting the design philosophy of the Minerva. Primarily tasked with missions in space, it is a newly constructed battleship that incorporates Minerva's armaments and introduces new weapons such as guided turrets and a ram on the bow.

Suits returning from SEED DESTINY:

mecha_17.png

ORB-01 Akatsuki
A golden unit embodying the ideals of Orb. The armor is coated with a special reflective beam coating called “Yata no Kagami,” boasting overwhelming defensive capabilities.
Pilot: Mu La Flaga

mecha_21.png

MBF-02 Strike Rouge
A unit created using spare parts and data from the Strike Gundam. It features an overall reddish color scheme, which is the origin of its name “Rouge”.
Pilot: Cagalli Yula Athha

Last edited:
Top Bottom