• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy Says Rude Thing to Person, Gets Fired From Destructoid, Says More Rude Things

News Bot

Banned
Not the kind of joke she should do if she wants to earn any kind of respect, though, and it's also not doing female gaming ''journalists'' any favour.

So it's alright for dudes to make dick and ball jokes but a female joking about the female anatomy is off-limits? I don't get this reasoning. I respect her more for having a sense of humor than pretending she doesn't have breasts.

lifa-cobex

The worst part about this thread are the people posting "who is Felicia Day?".

Never heard of her.

Dame fucking people expressing opions on a social media site. Who the fuck do they think they are.
Do they not understand that expressing an opinion could have serious repercussions such as............uhh retaliation of another opinion?

ghibli99

I didn't know who she was until I started following her on FB. She's kind of loud and annoying, but she does post a lot of cool things relevant to what I like, so I haven't stopped following her... yet.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Not for nothing, but I feel like the Dragon Age Felicia Day DLC thing was pretty much the tipping point for "geek girl" culture.

Well, maybe Chobot in Mass Effect 3 tops that... but it's awfully close.
Look, if Bioware and whoever else can make money off of stunt casting Felicia Day, Jessica Chobot, Olivia Munn, Summer Glau, or whoever, so be it. Either the actors/actresses will be recognized for having talent and then be mainstreamed, or they'll be recognized for not having talent and will fall off the face of the Earth in a couple of years.

Besides, not everyone gets into their eventual career path in non-lame ways. George Clooney was on Facts of Life and it was lame even on the lamest show in the lamest decade. You can bash the Joss Whedon Talent Agency if you want, but there have been some decent finds.

From the sound of it, he got irritated that people were talking about her. And that made him post his little rant. Clearly not the most mature person in the world. Shouldnt be a fireable offense.
Sometimes being an immature person is a fireable offense. Furthermore, we don't know what happened behind the scenes. They could have fired him from for the comments alone, or they may have spoke to him about it and he might have continued to pop off, or maybe an advertiser called in, or maybe this is one incident in a string of many. Unless you were in on the decision, you have no idea what full story of his termination may have been, even if he tells you. Short of an EEOC suit (won't happen), those documents will never be publicized, for many good reasons.

Which begs the question: why do we tolerate assholes, but have no tolerance for sexists? They're both vile.
Because we're coming out of a full century of fighting protected-class-based oppression and are trained to be more sensitive to detecting it and more aggressive when addressing it, sometimes to the point of being over-sensitive and over-aggressive.

After reading a 200+ post thread, to boot. Now 1100+.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
The best part of this thread was finding out PrinceofApathy is basically Kenji from Katawa Shoujo.

Sometimes being an immature person is a fireable offense. Furthermore, we don't know what happened behind the scenes. They could have fired him from for the comments alone, or they may have spoke to him about it and he might have continued to pop off, or maybe an advertiser called in, or maybe this is one incident in a string of many. Unless you were in on the decision, you have no idea what full story of his termination may have been, even if he tells you. Short of an EEOC suit (won't happen), those documents will never be publicized, for many good reasons.

What happened behind the scenes has absolutely no bearing on my opinion that what he did on Twitter wasn't a fireable offense. If he compounded it with other shit, then so be it.

RobbieNick

Rules for keeping your job at Destructoid.

Poking fun at an internet celebrity = fired.

Throw a bunch of horribly sexist insults at non-celebrities (and be Jim Sterling) = keep your job.

Must be nice to be Jim Sterling.

pigeon

Banned
If any of you are interested why Jaffe thinks this way, his game Twisted Metal, his team, and himself was attacked by leigh alexander (there were also some snarky remarks about TM from her followers that she retweeted)from Gamasutra and not many people came to his defense and he did not even get a apology from alexander at all.

Wait, wait, wait. You don't see a distinction between calling somebody a glorified booth babe and saying you don't like a game? You think that there should be consequences for tweeting about how you think a game series isn't very good, and that that would be better for game journalism? Really?

Wait. You're criticizing this article for being a hit piece, because it suggests that saying "you should let your girlfriend win at Twisted Metal so that she'll blow you" is kind of rude? REALLY?

seth_and_amy_really.jpg

EulaCapra

He has a point with Felicia Day. She's an okay actress I guess from the brief stints I've seen her in, but she's definitely playing up the fact that she's a gamer and always involved in the Whedon-universe to get work/be noticed. Still, very rude to just open with an attack question on her twitter.

Should've just talked behind her back like normal people.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Oh hark another strawman about a tired and overused trope when it comes to female subplots and story lines. God forbid fiction of any type ever undergo criticism for trite and shitty writing.

Oh god all that hair. Where does all that hair come from?

Who said what about who?

Guy as a representative of a socially oriented company said something mean publicly to another person seemingly at random and was fired for it?

Oh, okay. Uh... Yeah. Sounds reasonable.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I had no idea who she was before this and I visit GAF nearly everyday. I still not sure how she looks.
There's a picture of her on almost every page of this thread.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What, is the world supposed to be familiar with this woman? First time I saw her was when she made an ass out of herself at last year's VGAs.

No, but you're not supposed to be a fucking moron who posts "who is this person?" in a thread on the Internet when you can find out the answer in the time it takes to post your ignorant-ass comment.

The worst part is that the majority of people doing this probably do know exactly who she is and are trying to dismiss her relevance and significance in a roundabout way.

Heavy_D

Banned
No, but you're not supposed to be a fucking moron who posts "who is this person?" in a thread on the Internet when you can find out the answer in the time it takes to post your ignorant-ass comment.

The worst part is that the majority of people doing this probably do know exactly who she is and are trying to dismiss her relevance and significance in a roundabout way.

How is she relevant or significant to the gaming industry in any way?

Honestly there is nothing to dismiss.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Whatever your personal opinion of her is, you can't simply ignore the things she has done.

How are there still people like you in this thread saying she has done nothing relevant to the gaming industry when that has been shown to be factually incorrect. "Significance" is subjective to an extent, so I'll not discuss that part.

Not the kind of joke she should do if she wants to earn any kind of respect, though, and it's also not doing female gaming ''journalists'' any favour.

Doesn't she host a show on an internet streaming channel? Not exactly "serious" journalism. It's not like she was on the set of CNN. Plus, the idea that people shouldn't make jokes about or using their own damn bodies is pretty gross.

Whatever your personal opinion of her is, you can't simply ignore the things she has done.

How are there still people like you in this thread saying she has done nothing relevant to the gaming industry when that has been shown to be factually incorrect. "Significance" is subjective to an extent, so I'll not discuss that part.

I honestly had no clue who she was until I read this topic so even if she may have been in Fallout or other things related to gaming, she sure hasn't done jack shit to wind up on my radar.

Heavy_D

Banned

Sure I can, seeing as how she never appears in daily gaming news.

I know she's done videos with Wil Wheaton, but if you don't watch those videos then you never see her. It's as simple as that.

Sean

Banned

Which gaming personalities would you deem "relevant" or "significant" to the industry?

Nobody ever has an answer to his question.

Jintor

I guess all women gaming journalists speak for all women journalists everywhere in the same way all male journalists automatically and consistently represent all male gaming journalists. Awww yeah, dat assumed burden. I'd love to never be able to do anything without worrying what perception issues it would have with all asian lawyers instead of just on me.

Heavy_D

Banned
Which gaming personalities would you deem "relevant" or "significant" to the industry?

Nobody ever has an answer to his question.

People who create games or gaming consoles, and people who work for the most visited review sites.

These are people I would deem relevant and significant.

Making YT videos does not make you important.

Sean

Banned
People who create games or gaming consoles, and people who work for the most visited review sites.

These are people I would deem relevant and significant.

Making YT videos does not make you important.

You still haven't listed a single name.

Someone that is "significant" and "relevant" and that "appears in daily gaming news". Let's see some examples of gaming personalities that Felicia Day should aspire to be like.

Heavy_D

Banned

I don't have too.

The relevant names are ones that everyone knows. Miyamoto, Kaz Hirai, Reggie Fils Aime, David Jaffe etc. etc. etc.

Just hang out around E3 and listen to the names that get dropped everywhere. Those are the people that are relevant to the gaming industry.

Someone that is "significant" and "relevant" and that "appears in daily gaming news". Let's see some examples of gaming personalities that Felicia Day should aspire to be like.

That's the whole point, there doesn't need to be any "gaming personalities". That is the whole reason people dislike Day, because she tries so hard to be part of this "gaming culture" which doesn't need to exist at all. It's an industry and a hobby, not a culture.

There are people who make the games, people who sell the games, and people who inform consumers about the games. Those are the only "personalities" needed in the industry, those are the only people pertinent to this hobby. Felicia Day is not a developer or a designer, she does not own a company or a store, and she does not get early access to games or give informed insight into the quality of the games, so to most people who enjoy gaming as a hobby or are interested in it as an industry, instead of wanting to be part of the "culture" and have the "nerd image", she is completely and utterly irrelevant.

Is Steve Blum relevant to the gaming industry? How about DC Douglas? Or Nolan North? Tara Strong?

I would say no, they are relevant to the voice acting industry. But even then I'd say they're more relevant to gaming than Day because they either play multiple high profile characters or appear in hundreds of games, or both. Felicia Day has appeared in a scant handful of games as minor characters and her landing those roles had more to do with her name being connected with "nerd culture" than her previous voice roles.

Rules for keeping your job at Destructoid.

Poking fun at an internet celebrity = fired.

Throw a bunch of horribly sexist insults at non-celebrities (and be Jim Sterling) = keep your job.

Must be nice to be Jim Sterling.

Doesn't tell the whole story now though does it? Go ahead and link the comments directed at Jim by the victim of his "horribly sexist insults"

Lancehead

None of these ladies have done anything to move the industry forward. They set no standards, contributed no ideas, brought about any positive change simply by lending their voices to a camera and/or microphone.

There's a small matter of actually producing games of which such people are part of. And if everyone's relevancy is to be judged by whether they have "moved the industry forward", then an overwhelming majority of people working on games become irrelevant. It's like saying a worker bolting the parts of a car is irrelevant because he didn't design the car or improved some efficiency.

Is Steve Blum relevant to the gaming industry? How about DC Douglas? Or Nolan North? Tara Strong?

nolan north is getting a bit TOO relevant for my tastes. I don't need to hear Nathan Drake trying to sound 'undrakey' and failing to do so in far too many games.

It's not like I hate the guy, but he's really overused and not used to be versatile either.

And thanks to this thread I finally learned that Fallout: NV's Veronica is voiced by Felicia Day. Aside from sarcistic ghoul "sure, that sounds like a great plan... 'boss" probably the most likable sidekick too.
But then New Vegas has a lot of memorable characters to begin with. And scenes.

Like entering the Boomers base, after having been through Vault 34, and that b**** just sits there "oh we totally had to fire at you for safety reasons". After I had did countless times trying to get to their place. Well, excuse me princess, but this Last Best Hope of Mankind is going to eradicate your entire inbred fuckville from the face of the wasteland and consider it service to the continued existence of all mankind.
A few bad karma was worth the price.

Alas, the game decided they were mission critical. I still seethe with justified rage. Grrrr.
GUUURRRRRRR!

Headless_body_of_Agnew.jpg

/offtopic rage

DESTROYA

So many conflicting viewpoints in this thread! Where is the sanity!
Your expect sanity from this site!
There are very many quality members herebut ocassionally you get stuff thats out there. But on the whole fired thing, I really don't give a shit.

There's a small matter of actually producing games of which such people are part of. And if everyone's relevancy is to be judged by whether they have "moved the industry forward", then an overwhelming majority of people working on games become irrelevant. It's like saying a worker bolting the parts of a car is irrelevant because he didn't design the car or improved some efficiency.

The worker bolting the parts is doing nothing to move the car industry forward.

Yes, he's probably not an innovator or a leader, but he's relevant.

That's a different thread. They're talking about people that move the industry forward. The guy putting bolts on a car is essential, but replaceable. Hell, he's actually replaceable by a machine now. The person designing the car isn't.

Top Bottom