• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GW Factions Preview is Up

etiolate

Banned
The Guild Wars Factions preview for those that have the game is up. I think there is another way to test it out, too, but I'm too lazy to go find the link. New menus and areas look nice. There is a PVP tutorial area now. The good part of that, is I can finally see the actual range of aoe terms. There is also a challenge 4v4 quest sort of deal. I have faced a obsidian flame spike and an IWAY team(oh you flatter me arena net). I think there is also a trapper team. The enemy bots say "gg" after matches.

I downloaded the update last night, and it's open for existing players, or you can go to the Guild Wars website to download the client if you want to play for free over the weekend.

New login screen looks nice, new areas are great too. I'll have to try out the two new classes over the weekend and see how they play. This update made some nice changes to the core game as well.

Pimpbaa

I was kind of surprised when I heard that the expansion can be used as just a stand alone game. There must be a ton of content equal to the content in the original GW. I'm hoping the content is more spread out over the land. In the original GW, you spent way too much time in the ugly post-searing ascalon.

I believe the developers, in the past, have said they intend for each expansion to contain about the same amount of new content as the orginal game, as far as new areas, missions, quests, skills, items, etc. This preview alone has quite a bit of new stuff in it.

etiolate

Banned
Yeah, I agree about ugly post searing Ascalon. The new area looks pretty though. Hopefully it doesn't get thrashed.

A quick list of new stuff:
-Battle Isle
1. Temple of Balthazar
a. Isle of the Nameless
b. Daishezen Challenge
-Two new classes
a. Assassin
b. Ritualist

Daishazen and the Temple are little pvp towns, Isle of the Nameless is an instance. From the Challenge area you can select different challegnes versus computer pvp teams based on popular pvp builds(obsidian flame spike, IWAY, trapper, Smite monk).

Within this area, and the other arenas there are new arena maps and old maps now used. Ascalon and Yaks arena now appear in random arena battles. The new arena has flags and an obelisk.

Team Arena, Random Arena and Tombs(now called Heroes Ascent) all have new looks to them. The unworthies in tombs are also redone and now resurrect.

Two new classes with availability of seemingly all their skills(if you could afford through faction). New prebuilds to go along with the new classes as well. Unfortunately, it seems ANet has made a poor decision and added a nerfing to faction farming during the weekend, mostly leaving the majority of players to be stuck with crappy prebuilds. The Rit/Mes prebuild is especially lame. I have a lot of faction, I had 10k readyt o spend but I quickly ran out and it's been harder than normal to replenish it so I can expirement with skill combos. I've hardly touched ritualist, because straight spirit spamming is boring and if I want to do something else I'm going to have to spend a lot of faction.

One major downfall of the preview weekend: LAG! Serious lag issues from all the free demo users. GVG I just had to give up on, the lag is screwing up coordination.

Yeah, Lag was bad this weekend, even on my usually very fast connection. Still, the preview was kind of fun. I don't play much PvP, but I still enjoyed the new areas and look forward to all the stuff they intend to add in the Factions expansion.

Top Bottom