• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gwinnett Officer Kicks Man In Head During Traffic Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekdrm2d1

BREAKING: Gwinnett cop caught on video kicking man in head fired
By Tyler Estep | Thursday, April 13, 2017 | Atlanta Journal-Constitution

The Gwinnett County police officer caught on video Wednesday kicking a man in the head during a traffic stop has been fired, department officials announced Thursday afternoon.

A criminal investigation has also been launched into the actions of the now-former officer, identified as three-year veteran Robert McDonald.

“What happened yesterday was clearly outside of state law and department policy,” department spokesman Cpl. Deon Washington said in an emailed statement. “We do not tolerate actions that are not consistent with our core values or state law.”

A press conference was scheduled for 3 p.m.

Prior to the announcement of McDonald’s termination, Gwinnett police officials had called the video of his alleged actions “very disturbing” and vowed a thorough investigation.

The incident happened around 4 p.m. Wednesday at the Lawrenceville-area intersection of Sugarloaf Parkway and Lawrenceville-Suwanee Road. The nearly two-minute video, shot by a driver stopped a short distance behind the apparent traffic stop, appears to show one Gwinnett County officer pull a driver from his vehicle and struggle with him before placing him on the ground.

Several seconds later, a second officer runs up and kicks the driver in the head.

Both officers then struggle with the driver, who is still lying on the ground, and appear to search his pockets. The video ends shortly after the officers place the driver on the trunk of his vehicle.

The driver is black. Both police officers are white.

The driver in the video was identified as 21-year-old Lawrenceville resident Demetrius Bryan Hollins.

Online records show Hollins was booked into the Gwinnett County jail around 4:45 p.m. Wednesday on charges including possession of less than an ounce of marijuana, obstruction of a police officer and several traffic citations, including driving on a suspended or revoked license, operating a vehicle with suspended or revoked registration, failure to signal and “brake lights required.”

Hollins’ mug shot shows blood on his nose and lips. As of noon Thursday, he remained in jail in lieu of $7,502 bond.

Arrest warrants accuse him of “ignoring verbal commands to exit vehicle and then refusing to place hands behind back after he was told he was under arrest.” The warrants do not provide information about what led to the traffic stop.

An incident report was not yet available Thursday morning, police said. A spokeswoman also said neither officer involved in the traffic stop was wearing a body camera.

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/break...icking-man-head-fired/GsCfBeNhcjAXkTw7f2cPxL/

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hyP543JQPg

Ekdrm2d1

giphy.gif

That was 100% necessary and needed. /s

Fury451

Banned
This is nearly identical to that other video that came out yesterday; is the head stomp thing taught now, because that's two separate incidents in two separate locations with nearly the same move.

Story after fucking story. Cop hero worship has brought us to the point where disgusting maniacs are hired to take out their power fantasies and anger out on the populous. I can't imagine seeing all this shit and still saying efforts like Black Lives Matter are worthless. They're more necessary than ever.

Massicot

They actually fired the officer, wow.

And jesus, it's the first thing the officer does. Runs out when the guy is already down and restrained and just kicks him. geez

Is this part of some new training? This is like the third video I have seen this week of a cop running towards are person cuffed on the ground and kicking them in the head.

dopplr

Running in there while the other cop is literally just standing - thus no need to escalate the situation in any form. This wouldn't happen if the cop viewed that person as an equal - he's immediately in a US vs Them situation.

Ekdrm2d1

They actually fired the officer, wow.

And jesus, it's the first thing the officer does. Runs out when the guy is already down and restrained and just kicks him. geez

After 24-hours! Unless if I'm mistaken

Incident yesterday and he wad fired today.

guek

Banned
They fired the officer! Holy shit, I don't mean to applaud people for doing their goddamn job but in this case *clap clap clap*

dan2026

I swear it must be so easy to get a policeman job in America.

They just let whatever nutter off the street join up.

Cat Party

In broad daylight in the middle of a busy intersection, he just runs up and kicks him for no reason. Insane. At least the department fired his ass immediately.

Nairume

Banned
This is nearly identical to that other video that came out yesterday; is the head stomp thing taught now, because that's two separate incidents in two separate locations with nearly the same move.
I saw somebody in some of the police circles I know say that apparently carefully using your boot to restrain somebody's head actually is a thing that's taught, but the officers in these two videos still clearly went above and beyond that and really were kicking people in the head.

Malvolio

Society grants additional privileges to officers because we trust them to handle additional responsibilities. When these privileges are abused, it should not be out of line to assess additional penalties. Instead we use the additional responsibilities as justification for their abuses. No wonder they won't change.

Binabik15

First step should be the demilitarisation. "Veteran", urgh. Civilians, blergh. And after three years? Sounds more like a somewhat rookie cop. You wouldn't call a doctor experienced after three years on the job.

Slayven

First cop did his job, then rambo comes in and be a psycho. Yet i bet the first cop wouldn't have said shit if there wasn't video

commedieu

Banned
This proves you really can just fire these fucking cowards when they fuck up and it's obvious.

Instead of the old rush to investigate hdvideo and tell me why my eyes are lying.

reckless

Surprising they fired the officer. If there was any justice, the cop would get some charges too but like that's ever going to happen.

Does it bug anyone else whenever they use the word "Veteran" and then say some low ass number like two or four years.

The literal definition of Veteran is "a person who has had long experience in a particular field".

They haven't been doing this job that long. You don't become a Master at something in a couple of years... most Journeyman training is longer.

Also, fuck these violent assholes.

I said"oh shit" the same time as the guy that was recording.

That is beyond fucked up, there was no fucking reason to do that.

^had the same thought go through my mind, was about to go back and then yeeeaaahh.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Story after fucking story. Cop hero worship has brought us to the point where disgusting maniacs are hired to take out their power fantasies and anger out on the populous. I can't imagine seeing all this shit and still saying efforts like Black Lives Matter are worthless. They're more necessary than ever.
Sums it up perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom