• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Half-Life 3" on Valves bug tracker confirms HL3 is in dev (46dev), L4D3 hits 71 devs

hellocld

look at the url.

Every time I see one of those links this is all I can think of.

uS5qckW.jpg

Luthos

Thanks for the info. I think I'll just play through Half-Life Source, then Half-Life 2 with the cinematic mod.

If you do, don't enable the new character models on the cinematic mod. They are god awful.

I mean I don't use the mod, and I don't know how everything else looks, but the characters, especially Alyx, just look terrible.

If you do, don't enable the new character models on the cinematic mod. They are god awful.

I mean I don't use the mod, and I don't know how everything else looks, but the characters, especially Alyx, just look terrible.

Yeah I saw those comparison pictures of her and had a good laugh.

Thanks.

chupon

Very interesting.

We use JIRA here, but I have never seen it used to assign devs to specific projects. Usually you just assign a specific task (bug report, master report, etc) to a person and they are responsible for updating and resolving it.

spirity

edit

wait, Vanquish hasn't played the game yet. deleted my spoiler just in case

....and double posted too for some reason

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
yes but the real news here is that 21 valve employees are in a group marked LA Fitness. Valve making casual fitness game for Steam Machines??!?!?! Valve is the new Nintendo?!?

Very interesting.

We use JIRA here, but I have never seen it used to assign devs to specific projects. Usually you just assign a specific task (bug report, master report, etc) to a person and they are responsible for updating and resolving it.
You should know by now Valve's internal structure and how it operates is anything but normal lol.

yes but the real news here is that 21 valve employees are in a group marked LA Fitness. Valve making casual fitness game for Steam Machines??!?!?! Valve is the new Nintendo?!?

I wonder now if that is a real game or they are using the tool to manage a fitness group at the office.

There is zero point zero percent chance that Valve makes HL3 SteamOS exclusive. They might make it Steam exclusive, but never Steam OS exclusive.

I'm not getting my hopes up.

It's gotten to the point where they could announce the game and I'd still have my doubts of it's eventual release.

I just hope I get to play it at some point in my life.

j-wood

Guys...one day at a video game event in the near future will be a trailer.

It's going to be a black screen, when a voice suddenly starts:

"Wake up Mr. Freeman....wake up and....smell the ashes"

*flash Half-Life Logo*

and the internet will shut down

*flash Half-Life Logo*

Just the idea of that gave me chills. Someday.... someday...

Robot Pants

Kelly Bailey is back?!?!?
That's just as big of news as the HL3 news itself. I'm so pumped he's gonna be doing the music again. It wouldn't be the same without him.

Skab

*flash Half-Life Logo*

Eh, to specific of a line to reuse.

Just the simple "Doctor Freeeemaaan" from his heart to heart talk in Episode 2 would be more than enough.

That's where we disagree.

You're really thinking about this whole thing in entirely the wrong way. Valve isn't a console manufacturer and when you try to apply a console marketing strategy to what they're doing you wind up drawing implausible conclusions.

The only way of ensuring Steam's future is to establish a new platform and move over as many existing users as fast as possible on it.

No, inasmuch as the future needs ensuring (it really only needs it in a fairly long-term sense -- we're five years or more from a point where Microsoft can actually do anything to close off or restrict people from freely running software on Windows PCs) it only requires that there be platforms that Steam can be freely run on, with enough market penetration to support it. OSX is never going to lock people out of arbitrary apps. Any flavor of Linux is just as good to Valve as "SteamOS" as long as people run it and it can play games effectively -- that's why they launched Steam on Ubuntu so far ahead of even talking about SteamOS, because they don't actually care which OS you run Steam on, just which OSes you can run it on.

Exclusives get Valve nothing here. They don't want PC gamers to decide that, y'know what, they didn't really need HL3 that badly after all; they want people to think of Steam as the platform they play games on and the OS as not much more than a layer of chrome. The way SteamOS will take off is by making it possible for OEMs to build cheap, living-room-optimized HTPCs and gaming centers in a way that Windows isn't ideal for, not by forcing people to awkwardly dual-boot it on existing machines.

There is zero point zero percent chance that Valve makes HL3 SteamOS exclusive. They might make it Steam exclusive, but never Steam OS exclusive.

Indeed.

I don't know man, maybe I am indeed approaching this the wrong way but I am still sure that this is what Valve should and will do. I guess we'll know soon* enough!

*subject to Valve time

Edit: I never said though that these games will be SteamOS exclusives, just Steam exclusives.

ev0

Very interesting.

I did exactly this at the place I worked at because no one would buy proper project management software heh.

Sibylus

Banned
Day9 just finished Half-Life 2 for the first time two days ago.

It blew his mind and he loved it. He's starting the Episodes soon.

SmartBase

I can see people getting excited for another L4D but do people really give a shit about Half Life any more?

I'd be there day one regardless, sigh

Sibylus

Banned
I can see people getting excited for another L4D but do people really give a shit about Half Life any more?

I'd be there day one regardless, sigh
Yes? Half-Life 2 scratched the Half-Life 2 itch superbly, but don't forget for a moment that it was a serious departure from Half-Life and its expansions. Half-Life 3 is that clean slate opportunity again.

Top Bottom