• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life Alyx No-VR Mod - Early Access Out Now (October 2023 First Animation Update)

BlackTron

Probably because Valve wants to see VR as a medium grow, and they're known for not really caring about exclusivity.

Do they really care about VR growing outside of PC headsets? If Switch 2 has a VR feature, will Valve be happy because seeing VR grow as a medium is what they wanted? Meh. They have their own VR headset. Alyx is the "free pack in game" with Valve Index. They didn't care about exclusivity when they had no horse in the race.

There are very few mods like ours.

There are more mods taking 2D games into VR
Hold the phone. This runs on the Steam Deck with maxed settings at 60fps?? I’ve got an Index so I wasn’t at all originally interested in this… but now I am. 👀

Indeed. It’s so great playing it anywhere

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
There are very few mods like ours.

There are more mods taking 2D games into VE

Indeed. It’s so great playing it anywhere
How hard is it to set up on Steam Deck? I’m on a work retreat right now with fairly limited internet, so I’m not really sure if I’ll be able to download Alyx or not. But I’d really like to try. Sounds so awesome on Deck.

How hard is it to set up on Steam Deck? I’m on a work retreat right now with fairly limited internet, so I’m not really sure if I’ll be able to download Alyx or not. But I’d really like to try. Sounds so awesome on Deck.

Just copy and paste the files! Check out moddb page for download and details!

supernova8

Banned
Chances are people who build their own gaming PCs can easily afford a VR headset. Outside of some physical disabilities, there is no excuse to miss out on the decade's most innovative game.
I suppose the barrier (at least for me) is the lack of VR games genuinely worth buying a headset for. Sure Alyx is meant to be amazing but really buying a headset just for that? There aren't many. I have a Quest 2 and my favorite VR game so far has actually been Super Hot VR running natively on Quest 2.

Last edited:

Melon Husk

All the team members played it in VR and loved it so much we wanted to get it to everyone who can.

It was not a belief we could make it better than VR. No way. VR is the way to play this game. Of course.

But playing it on a Steam Deck anywhere at 60fps max settings is also awesome.
Awesome, I played Alyx in VR but looking forward to replay it the traditional way.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I'm all for accessibility, but Half-life: Alyx isn't a very good game without the VR. The puzzles are only interesting because of the VR perceptive, and the AI is brain dead and only challenging because you have to physically aim. Game would be extremely meh as a regular FPS.
Yeah and these aren't flaws, they're design choices. Although even in VR there's a disparity between traversal modes and it can feel like combat was dumbed down to keep it playable for people who need to use teleport.

Wonko_C

I suppose the barrier (at least for me) is the lack of VR games genuinely worth buying a headset for. Sure Alyx is meant to be amazing but really buying a headset just for that? There aren't many. I have a Quest 2 and my favorite VR game so far has actually been Super Hot VR running natively on Quest 2.
If you're not into indie games I can totally understand not finding much to play. In my case it invited me to try and play games even in genres I don't normally like. I hate roguelites with a passion, but in VR I had a blast playing In Death Unchained and Until You Fall, and now I want to check out Synapse and The Light Brigade. That's already 4 games. This is how, after a bit, 50-game backlogs start without realizing.

Forgot about Yuki, damn that's 5 already. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Moses85

Oh man, I want it so badly for PSVR2

Arrested Development Crying GIF by HULU

Top Bottom