• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half of chapters in Ryse beaten in 90 minutes ?

Tml Matus

Banned
You know ... its a real shame this game was rushed for launch the way it was. A game with that type of presentation deserves to be treated differently.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
We are no longer trusting developers on the length of the games they built and tested themselves?

j7qSpnkAGV3yf.jpg

I mean seriously? If they wanted to lie they could have thrown out a much bigger number and what would be the point of lying when reviews will be out in days?

Why would they say 6.5-8.5 when they could just say 9?

They bloat playtime on games all the time.

This whole thing screams that the game was played on the easiest difficulty... i can play any action game from the last 5 years and beat it in under 4 hours when I set it to the easiest difficulty.

Even CoD takes me at least 6 hours on normal difficulty first time through the campaign. I don't even have plans on picking Ryse up but I don't believe the game will be 3 hours long at all when played on a normal difficulty, let alone on a first play through.

Malmorian

You know ... its a real shame this game was rushed for launch the way it was. A game with that type of presentation deserves to be treated differently.

Exactly. I wouldn't be surprised if it leaks out afterwards that tons of content was cut to fit the timetable which is a shame. No excuse for the game being that short, I hope it's not true.

Eusis

Please, enlighten me with the details of their non-existent trade-in program at approved retailers.
I can approximate I bet: they'll talk in vague terms about it, come the last few months leading up to launch they'll say that due to complications it'll roll out in early 2014, and only at GameStop and Walmart.

By the time you can trade it in the GameStop employees would turn you away because they're struggling to sell the NEW copies at $20 at this point, and Walmart will use kiosks that are nearly impossible to find and would only give you a buck if you did find one.

I have a bigger problem with the disappointing linear game design. If those 50 Mbps vids are what's in store, then this game will be a huge flop.

Metzhara

They bloat playtime on games all the time.

While I cannot speak for Crytek, It's been my experience that they often take the average for focus test playthroughs when available.
I also believe that's a fairly reasonable thing to do in most cases as you get those who want to balls through it to prove something and others who are looking around like they lost their keys... behaviors which are common in the wild. -Adam

The time for the campaign is nothing to really brag about but at least part of the value is made up by the coop/arena stuff. So I'm not sure you can judge just based on length that it isn't worth 60 bucks. We'll have to wait and see for when people get their hands on it.

Jay Sosa

Wait, so it's not a squad game?
iYeTtiXa4mYs2.gif

This moment is just a part of the level's dressing and is not expanded upon? I honestly thought they were hiding all this cool squad stuff until near the game came out.

Cool?

Nothing worse than having to command around a bunch of dopes, no thank you.

AI teammates/squad members are almost always stupid as shit.

Jay Sosa

I hope there are some thrilling set-pieces to break the monotony of the "basic" fighting sequences...

What I'm hoping for is some incentives to explore the beautiful surroundings and that they're not only basically corridors. Not really optimistic about that though.

Deimo5

What I'm hoping for is some incentives to explore the beautiful surroundings and that they're not only basically corridors. Not really optimistic about that though.

The 'extremely linear levels to the extreme' quote from the translation doesn't bode well ha.

Never expected it to be too long like 10 hours max. Guess we will know better in about a week.

EBE

3 hours sounds too short to be true. im expecting about 7-8 maybe? I generally like to take my time with games anyway, and between looking for collectibles and admiring them next gen graphics, I think I'll be fine with the games length.

also,from what ive seen of the combat I think it looks good - never played them Batman games so I cant make that comparison.

Cool?

Nothing worse than having to command around a bunch of dopes, no thank you.

AI teammates/squad members are almost always stupid as shit.

Well shit, I guess great squad shooters and RTSs should pack it in just because the AI can be a little fiddly sometimes. Full Spectrum Warrior, SWAT 4, Brothers in Arms, Republic Commando, and Rainbow Six bye bye.

Jay Sosa

The 'extremely linear levels to the extreme' quote from the translation doesn't bode well ha.

Oh.

How did he get an arrow in the back of his head? Boomerang arrows?

150650.jpg

Well shit, I guess great squad shooters and RTSs should pack it in just because the AI can be a little fiddly sometimes. Full Spectrum Warrior, SWAT 4, Brothers in Arms, Republic Commando, and Rainbow Six bye bye.

Fine by me. And did you just refer to RBS as great squad shooter?

EBE

in response to your question about the game having some squad mechanics, I can confirm from the single player livestream a few days ago that there is indeed some light troop management (marius is a centurion, after all).

it appears to work like this: at certain points during the game you are given the choice of where to position, say, some archers - at the frontlines or toward your back. based on where they are, they offer support of varying usefulness - frontline archers can suppress other enemy archers but are open to ground attack. archers position way in the back can fire volleys at any badies youre fighting on the ground but leave you to deal with enemy arrows.

its not quite any of the game you listed there, but its something.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Have you seen the video? They were talking about how awesome the shield was. Archer from a good 30-40 feet away fires an arrow at Marius, he 'blocks' and the arrow flies back at the archer and it kills him.

No. Saved the gif and viewed it in animation wizard.

One arrow comes off the dudes shield and hits a guy behind him and for some reason the dude in front turns his head to the right a cops another arrow in the back of the head.

I don't have a problem with this. I was never expecting the game to be particularly long in the first place. As long as I enjoy what's there. And for the record, I'm not referring to the 90 minute stuff in the OP. I'm talking about the design director stating the game to be 6.5-8.5 hours in length.

Dueck

Banned
One of my friends played Ryse at a conference a couple of weeks ago and wasn't overly impressed. She did say that part of it was because she sucked at it though, so who knows... What's funny is that it was one of the games to sell me on a launch day Xbox One, but now I'm getting cold feet.

Pachimari

Hmm, now I'm not sure if I should get Ryse with all these impressions...

The worst part is, that I were never a Forza player and Dead Rising 3's framerate drops bellow 30fps, while I weren't much for the clunky controls of DR2 which they seemingly have fixed though.

There's a lot of solid launch games for Xbox One but not a single have I just gotta have. I really hope Ryse does good in the end, as I want it for being a new IP but the gameplay has to be great.

kevlar35

Banned
So we have a claim that someone played half the chapters in 90mins, but the developer explicitly says that this is wrong and that the game is 6.5 to 8.5 hours long.

The developer is called a liar because that information is inconvenient.

How is thread even still going?

Skeff

So we have a claim that someone played half the chapters in 90mins, but the developer explicitly says that this is wrong and that the game is 6.5 to 8.5 hours long.

The developer is called a liar because that information is inconvenient.

How is thread even still going?

The developer is called an exaggerator because these things are exaggerated.

Top Bottom