• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half of chapters in Ryse beaten in 90 minutes ?

Next gen games off to a great start, ugh.

Good or bad, nobody will remember or care in a few months from now. ps360 launch lineup is a great example of that.

There are a shit ton of people gloating in knack and KZ review that will have to eat some crow. Just wait for the embargo to lift.

And a lot of people are going to do the same thing in the Ryse and DR3 review thread. Console warriors are the worst, especially at launch.

stevil

That's disappointing I actually was looking envious at this game and Titan fall because the x1 will land in 2014 in my country (wil get a ps4 though)

KZ and Knack gets trashed.

Forza doesn't look impressive and missing standard features.
DR3 is a god awful technical mess.
Ryse is 3 hours
KI has 6 or so characters i think?

Safe to say next gen took forever to get here, yet still rushed to the market. lol

I wouldn't say this about all (though not all PS4 reviews were bad).

But yeah, DR3 and Ryse are going to be slaughtered in reviews. DR3 for performance and Ryse for depth/length.

I think most reviewers are going to let MS slide and give really good scores for both. Despite all the flaws.

Metfanant

"The framerate gives the player the feeling of a summer blockbuster, and the resolution really brings that filmic look, unlike the overly crisp and unnatural 1080p of mediocre titles like Killzone....

...The game took a cinematic and perfectly balanced 3 hours to complete, and when combined with the wonderfully simplistic control scheme it makes for an experience that cant be matched by anything offered on the PlayStation 4"

- Arthur Gies Polygon.com

Marleyman

Banned
Even by the most positive previews, the game's performance has been noted as extremely rough with massive and frequent frame rate drops. Obviously I could be off, and certainly it's all subjective anyway, but from the videos that have been shown I would be very surprised if the performance of the game was given a pass to the point of not affecting things much.

That is one part of a game, and some actually could care less. Take a look at some of the positive reactions to a game with far more technical issues(State of Decay). Fun is fun.

borghe said:
And while I certainly have my system of preference, I don't think anything I'm saying here is particularly tinted or not repeated by most previews of the game.

Slaughtered is a bit much, no?

Gaz_RB

I don't play game based on length, either, but there is something known as too short of a game. A four hour game heavily imprinted with QTEs? You must be ballin'.

I mean, I haven't played it yet, so I'm not really sure on how all the aspects of combat/gameplay work. But if the reviews/impressions say that the game is fun, then I'll play it, regardless of how long it is.

That is one part of a game, and some actually could care less. Take a look at some of the positive reactions to a game with far more technical issues(State of Decay). Fun is fun.

Yup, State of Decay is a blast and runs like shit. If DR3 is fun, I'll be playing it. Of course the game would be better without the technical issues, but that doesn't rule out a game for me.

Not saying that everyone should feel that way though, I understand a lot of people put a lot of weight on resolution/performance.

Forza 5 will obviously get 9s, no way it doesn't even though we've had like 4 forzas in the last 4 years.

Forza Motorsport - May 2005
Forza Motorsport 2 - May 2007 (Gap of two years)
Forza Motorsport 3 - October 2009 (Two years & five months)
Forza Motorsport 4 - October 2011 (Two years)
Forza Motorsport 5 - November 2013 (Two years & one month)

One ever two years is hardly rushing things these days.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
KZ and Knack gets trashed.

Forza doesn't look impressive and missing standard features.
DR3 is a god awful technical mess.
Ryse is 3 hours
KI has 6 or so characters i think?

Safe to say next gen took forever to get here, yet still rushed to the market. lol
Pretty much. I still think both KZ and Forza will be decently well recieved by players and people seemed super excited about KI but it seems like launch titles are being launch titles yet again.

Feorax

"As fun as dialling a phone number"

"Half the campaign done in 90 mins"

Awesome...

Thank god for Forza eh? Looks phenomenal.

Wow.

Ryse%20-%20Cinematic%203%20-%20jpg.jpg

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
but that's also the difference between a $15 Arcade title and a $60 retail game. "Good but flawed fun" can be given a bit more of a pass at 1/4 the price.

Slaughtered is a bit much, no?

fair enough. I am expecting the low 70s metacritic, which by "gaming review standards" is basically slaughtered... but that's a whole other story.

3-4hr campaign.

SMH. That's shorter than a COD campaign, which let's face it is an after thought.

Then again Crysis 3 was only 5 hours as I remember, when you spend so much time on presentation I guess it takes a tole on other areas of the development. A good concise single player experience can be fantastic - Portal, Journey, Limbo for example. Thing is they were each less than $20. This is $60 and unlike those games seems like a fairly standard hack and slash.

RoKKeR

Really think I'm going to let Ryse slide to next year bargain bin and pick up 2K14 instead.

Just seems like a waste of cash.

FourMyle

Yeah but would you really want to dial phone numbers for much longer than that? Think about it! It's a win-win for everyone!

Berg

"The framerate gives the player the feeling of a summer blockbuster, and the resolution really brings that filmic look, unlike the overly crisp and unnatural 1080p of mediocre titles like Killzone....

...The game took a cinematic and perfectly balanced 3 hours to complete, and when combined with the wonderfully simplistic control scheme it makes for an experience that cant be matched by anything offered on the PlayStation 4"

- Albert Gies Polygon.com

lol, link?

I was interested in Ryse but hearing that it was as fun as dialing a phone and now this. No thank you. Also hearing about those fairly significant Dead Rising performance issues. It's really all about the 3rd parties for the launch. First parties really dropping the ball here.

I only take into account play time on normal mode, the mode the game was intended to be played on. If playing Halo 2 on Legendary was being timed then it was as long as Skyrim.

He probably was referring to normal mode length though. In the tweet, he was saying that he was about to begin Legendary mode. So the 7 hours was directed to his previous play through.

"This 180 min campaign is the perfect way to represent how MS listened to its customers feedback, solidifying its commitment to next generation"

10/10

jk

Metfanant

It affects gameplay.

will get a pass for being "ambitious"

In all seriousness...i want Ryse to be a great game...but i dont see it...watching the MS' press conference when it was unveiled, Ryse was the only time i actually sat up in my chair and said "Now this looks good!"

then i saw the gameplay, and my hype has been on a downward slope since...but i WANT it to be awesome

iammeiam

So when it reviews poorly, an MS PR rep will humbly explain that this is a second game, meant to be enjoyed with casual gamers who only have movie-length attention, and that they knew it would review poorly because it only has three hours?

Top Bottom