• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HALO 2 Update 06/18/04

Sai

Jaime Jams

Jaime says they've finished adding "boarding" seats to all the vehicles. That means that quite apart from the vehicle-jacking stuff, every vehicle that can be boarded, sat on or otherwise utilized, now has functioning seats for real-life multiplayer and AI single-player modes. One thing hardly anyone at E3 noticed, was that when you board a Warthog, instead of taking over the driver seat immediately, you simply yank the driver out – you then have to hop into the Warthog manually. A two-stage process designed to create interesting encounters on the slightly more boardable Hog.

Jaime also showed off the largely complete HUD which has moved everything around dramatically, but should still be recognizable to Halo folks. Obviously adding dual wielding makes this challenging, but the new HUD handily shows off the ammo/charge left in a gun, and more importantly, it tells you what your reserve, or third weapon is. THIRD WEAPON!!!? WHATCHOO TALKIN ABOUT FRANKIE? Well, if you're holding a weapon in one hand, and you have another "holstered" you can dual-wield a third. That means the reserve weapon simply stays put when you pick up the dual-wield weapon. Effectively that lets you have three weapons at one time.

Of course, that means that for newbies at least, it can be tricky keeping track of what you've got. To be honest though, after an hour or two of play, you stop thinking about it.

There's also been something of a separation for church and state as far as the shield level and health meter are concerned. You'll see in good time how that works, but it makes a big difference.

WATER!

One cool new graphic feature being played with right now is water. The briny deep demoed at E3 is not the final water. In fact, several techniques are being experimented with, but I saw a cool one yesterday in a Zanzibar test level. Only it was deliberately broken. So when you jumped, the level literally filled up with water. It was kind of funny to go inside the control room part of the level (where the defender's flag normally sits) jump once and flood the place with sparkly, gorgeous, reflective wet stuff. Did I mention I loved video game water?

christmasvschief.jpg

Rest here...

"I just clicked this thread to say I hate these updates! GWWARR!"

I wonder what the two stage vehicle jacking is supposed to accomplish. In a way it's good. I could see people spamming vehicles making them near useless.

FriScho

why not 5? 2 holstered, one on the back and 2 holding the the hands... wait... then halo would be like all other fps were you carry tons of weapons and can switch them instantly...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
what kind of map was "mars needs women"?

very cool update, i'm getting so anxious hearing how the game seems to be coming together and nearing completion.

Sai

It's the most popular Marathon multiplayer map.

27.gif

52.gif

Wish I could find some in-game screenshots of it.

[EDIT] - Wait...

march01_marathon_flamerss.jpg

op_ivy said:
what kind of map was "mars needs women"?

very cool update, i'm getting so anxious hearing how the game seems to be coming together and nearing completion.

Their quote was ambiguous as usual so I'm not sure it has to do with Mars Needs Women in particular or if it deals with the map being the only netplay map included as part of the Marathon Demo. Since this is apparently the first Halo 2 multiplayer map, and Mars Needs Women was the first publicly released netmap, I'm thinking the quote is referring to that correlation.

I really have no clue.

GhaleonEB

I really want to know what is going on with their Live UI plans. They've been elusive about it, but seem confident that it will be the best thing on earth when it hits. I have no idea what they are doing....

Damn, I can just imagine APC-like carriers with 4-8 people (Tribes-style) rushing into battle!! Arrrgh...November 9th is soooooooo faaaarrr awaaaaay from me!!! Very cool update!

so i guess the third weapon being holstered sort of confirms that you can't dual wield with two weapons that you already have on your person... or does it!?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Mr. Lemming said:
Their quote was ambiguous as usual so I'm not sure it has to do with Mars Needs Women in particular or if it deals with the map being the only netplay map included as part of the Marathon Demo. Since this is apparently the first Halo 2 multiplayer map, and Mars Needs Women was the first publicly released netmap, I'm thinking the quote is referring to that correlation.

I really have no clue.
No, they're saying that people who have played the level say that it plays like/feels like Mars Needs Women.

GhaleonEB

The Faceless Master said:
so i guess the third weapon being holstered sort of confirms that you can't dual wield with two weapons that you already have on your person... or does it!?

No, you can use the Y button to switch from one weapon, to the other, to dual wielding.

However, if you have a one-handed weapon active and one put away (one or two handed), then you can pick up another and dual wield without dropping your reserve weapon. Switching back to single drops the secondary weapon. Sounds like a good system to me.

Top Bottom