• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Halo 4, and Halo: CEA coming to BC This Year. All Maps Free!

backcompatibility_visid_comingsoon-ca2fad356973482480b46edf5f48c154.png

BACK-COMPAT BLOWOUT
The Xbox One's list of backward compatible titles has grown by leaps and bounds since the initial wave of games came out in 2015, with nearly three hundred Xbox 360 titles currently supported. Today we're thrilled to announce four more very special additions coming later this year to the Xbox One back-compat program: Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Halo 4, and Halo: CE Anniversary!

Each of these games will include campaign and multiplayer, and will even support LAN play on Xbox One – including LAN play between Xbox One and Xbox 360! Once released, you'll be able to pop in your original disc or purchase a digital copy of the game via the Xbox Store and jump right in.

Best of all, once these titles are added to the program, every Xbox 360 Halo add-on map pack in the Xbox Store will be made available for free, ensuring you have everything you need to achieve maximum enjoyment in online matchmaking or custom games. We know this is something you've been asking for, and we're excited to make these map packs available for all players.

We'll have more details on the release timing soon but in the meantime, join us at RTX Austin 2017 for an exclusive hands-on preview with Halo 3 and Halo 3: ODST running on Xbox One!

Awesome news! Proper Halo 3 forge on XB1 will be great for LANs especially now that we won't have to juggle ODST discs for the maps.

Footos22

Rather just play the master chief collection at this point. The campaigns are fine. I take it this is the news that will make halo fans happy?

Zomba13

Have they said if the MCC games will work with the 360BC games? Like, is the matchmaking the same or not?

Hot damn! So it looks like this is how they plan to fix MCC! Just go around the game entirely. I bet 343 wishes that they could have just made MCC into a collection of remastered campaigns while letting multiplayer exist like this via BC. Definitely a great move IMO. I wonder if Halo 1/2 will get this treatment once OG Xbox BC comes this fall. People would love to have those servers back online.

I'm in just to re-live Halo 3 as it originally was.

I wonder if they'll give these away for free to MCC owners...

xboxster

Looks like I might pick up Halo 4 and ODST next time on sale. Hope HCEA is available digitally to buy.

I prefer the campaigns in MCC but I'll gladly have the multiplayer of these individual titles. If only Reach campaign could get a remaster...

kuYuri

I'll take MCC any day of the week for that 60fps goodness.

But this is still a nice gesture and always better to have options.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It seems like you still have to buy MCC to get Halo 2 anniversary, aka best Halo. :/

Its strange, i never loved Halo 2 until i played Anniversary, i just thought it was a decent transition game from 2 to 3. Now its my favorite, and then 3 and then Reach

DarkCloud

It seems like you still have to buy MCC to get Halo 2 anniversary, aka best Halo. :/

Honestly at this point they might as well just decouple Halo 2AE from MCC. Release it as a polished standalone. Actually I'd pretty much prefer them to do just that as having 1,3, 3ODST, 4, and Reach with no 2 will drive the completionist side of me nuts.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Honestly at this point they might as well just decouple Halo 2AE from MCC. Release it as a polished standalone. Actually I'd pretty much prefer them to do just that as having 1,3, 3ODST, 4, and Reach with no 2 will drive the completionist side of me nuts.

I think that would be awesome

As someone who owns MCC, yet hasn't played much, can someone explain how these releases will be different? Is this a separate multiplayer pool?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
More options are great, but I would rather play the enhanced MCC versions.

Ah, ok, thanks for explaining. Is MCC still broken? I don't play Halo MP for the most part, I just bought MCC for single player campaigns.
People go back and forth on whether they can find matches (I found some in December 2015) so it may work, but worse than anything it's really fucking empty.

If you have friends to play with though, Halo split screen is one of the greatest things this medium has ever experienced, ever. The games are still glitchy then (I've had grenades disappear into the ground) but you still get to experienced the best MP ever in Halo 3 at 60 FPS.

93xfan

Banned
I know no one wants this brought up again but this is the definitive nail in the coffin for MCC.

What a terrible, terrible company 343 is. Their treatment of MCC has been sickening. I hate this company and how they've treated their fans.

Oh, and let's not forget about how poor the population will now be on MCC.

RdN

I had higher expectations than this... Like maybe they would fix TMCC in time for a "soft re-release" with the Xbox One X.

Oh well.. Someone will be happy with this news, I'm sure.

What a terrible, terrible company 343 is. Their treatment of MCC has been sickening. I hate this company and how they've treated their fans.

Oh, and let's not forget about how poor the population will now be on MCC.
Eh, much as they do deserve blame, Microsoft clearly rushed it out to fit holiday 2014 along with pushing games to different studios to work on. It's a mess on all fronts, and I know hindsight has only made 343 look worse, but Microsoft would definitely be stopping them from working on this more than anyone else.

I know no one wants this brought up again but this is the definitive nail in the coffin for MCC.
Yup. What a disaster of a product that was. All I wanted was to experience Halo 2 MP and go back to Halo 3 BTB but nope, shit was broken. Not sure if I'll pop Halo 3 in for this though. I've kind of fallen out of love with Halo these last few years.

zoodoo

I tried playing Halo 2 MCC co op online a few weeks ago. OMG, it was a slideshow. No walking, just teleporting. It's a shame really after all this time.

split screen is fine though.

Spade

Very nice! The maps all being free with this is amazing. Now, if we can get Halo 2 OG compatibility with online ;)
let me dream

clav

Wonder if those games will play at 60 fps. Probably not considering how Halo Reach plays.

Really makes MCC look bad considering it can crash the Xbox One in standby mode or make the system do weird things.

Maybe Halo 2 multiplayer should become a F2P title.

MS is really making a compelling case to get in to that ecosystem and for me to pick up a X.

MCC is such a disaster.

Looks like at this point 343i will never fix MCC because its UI is tied to a studio that went bankrupt.

Updating it would probably create confusing payment arrangements and subsequent lawsuits.

A small redemption prize is if 343i gifted these BC games to MCC digital owners. I doubt this will happen though.

Top Bottom