• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4: A Hero Awakens (10 Minute Singleplayer ViDoc)

I'm perfectly happy with a solid 30fps but sometimes I just imagine what this game would look like at 60fps based off of the new footage. They've done an amazing job with the visuals.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I'm perfectly happy with a solid 30fps but sometimes I just imagine what this game would look like at 60fps based off of the new footage. They've done an amazing job with the visuals.

Would be interesting to see, but I would always rather Halo push scale and graphics rather than shoot for 60fps.

Raide

I think we will need to wait for Next-Gen to see that but if they can maintain 30fps and all looks good, then I am ok.

monome

Hope that there are some new vehicles as well.

Sphinx?!

EImpGl.jpg

Air

Banned
The enemies seem too similar. It looks like it will be hard to notice the difference between regular knights and their superiors in game. Going by the pictures, there should be more contrast between the higher officers, especially since their colors are all the same. Basically they look so similar they become generic since there isn't much of a difference between the enemies. Hopefully that's just me though.

Woorloog

Banned
the enemies look great but i hope/optimistically assume there are more, particularly as the covenant aren't such a big threat.

We got 4 base types of Covie and 3 base types of Prometheans.
Total of 7 base types, which is around what we had in previous Halos.
And then various sub-types of each.

I reckon there are some suprises still though, maybe some Promethean Hunter-equivalent or such. I hope there is some unrevealed enemies, only 3 new enemy types don't sound very interesting in long-term. Especially when they major lack visual differences beetween subtypes.

monome

the enemies look great but i hope/optimistically assume there are more, particularly as the covenant aren't such a big threat.

I don't expect much more variety :

Grunts
Jackals
Elites
Crawlers
Knights
Watchers

each with a possible variety of classes!

Yet, Cryptum/Primordium/Halo4 spoiler
The Composer shows up (?!) and it would be a shame not to see it alter some of the ennemies

The enemies seem too similar. It looks like it will be hard to notice the difference between regular knights and their superiors in game. Going by the pictures, there should be more contrast between the higher officers, especially since their colors are all the same. Basically they look so similar they become generic since there isn't much of a difference between the enemies. Hopefully that's just me though.

Ya they do all look similar.

BigTnaples

They do all look pretty similar. Hoping for a couple more enemy types thrown into the mix. We shall see though.

Also if the behaviors are really varied between classes that could make a huge difference as well.

For instance there were many types of elites, but their behaviors only varied slightly.

I also think that's a perfectly legitimate way to do it. Ours are in-engine, but that's in service of connecting the gameplay to the story - and it actually saves disc space too - since you're not storing flat 1080p files and localized versions of everything plus all those redundant assets. Uncharted is effectively doing the same thing artisitically but just implementing it differently.

And to clarify, our in-game campaign cinematics and vignettes are in-engine, but there are some other storytelling devices, including Spartan Ops and a few extras, that use a different rendering method.

Yup, I didn't mean to imply what they did was better or worse, only that I didn't realize they used that method. It works pretty damn well as the assets are mostly the same only rendered with more detail, and then saved as an HD movie. I suppose thats one of the benefits of Blu Ray.

I agree, lemme repost what I said in the OT:

I like the look of that new stuff, but as Slightly Live said in the OT.. they just leave a little bit to be desired when it comes to visual identity. All the weapons are grey with orange lights. All the enemies are grey with orange lights. All the knights use the same base model with minor variations to their "cape" melee weapon and mask. Oh and the orange lights vary. But thats it. At least the Crawlers have some variation...but they are all grey. Blah.

Why not experiment with different shades of grey, white, silver, etc. Some ivory or hell, some obsidian to keep things fresh. I know the Forerunners namely built with neutral colors, but there could still be some variation. And when it comes to Forerunner designs, the Knights seem to be a step away from their sleek, otherworldly style.

Reposted for new page

iYb4wOyynFVFT.gif

QPAvv.jpg

The scene with cortana is playable afaik. The only difference I see is that the lights of the ship aren't activated yet in the .gif as the chief just awoke from cryo. Very minor differences in assets, if any.

The animation is spot on imo. They are taking data from the actors faces akin to L.A Noire.. which is in the uncanny valley. In context of what he's saying I'm sure the widening of his mouth would seem much more realistic with sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTDUgFKjbKs

You can see that the first pic Master Chief when you're playing is in a cryo chamber so the tinted glass makes the environment darker. But as the cryo opens its as bright as the second pic. Its at 2:10

Love it!!!!!

Mech battles may not be out of the question:

That is definitely a vehicle that we get to use, you can see it in motion in one of the trailers for a brief moment.

It's Leviathan's fan art, loosely based on the description of a War Sphinx.

When I read Cryptum, I didn't think the "Sphinx" part or the descriptions of their "faces" were meant to be taken so literally, but after seeing the Knights... this might not be too far off after all.

Yeah, Im not exactly sure what the War Sphinx will look like now with the designs the Prometheans have.. I wouldn't be surprised if it is something similar to that, but I would prefer something sleeker.

BigTnaples

It's Leviathan's fan art, loosely based on the description of a War Sphinx.

When I read Cryptum, I didn't think the "Sphinx" part or the descriptions of their "faces" were meant to be taken so literally, but after seeing the Knights... this might not be too far off after all.

I really need to finish Cryptum. I am only like a 3rd into it.

Flipyap

Yeah, Im not exactly sure what the War Sphinx will look like now with the designs the Prometheans have.. I wouldn't be surprised if it is something similar to that, but I would prefer something sleeker.
I'd prefer something far boxier, like a Sentinel so overgrown that it could act as a Forerunner 'Pelican with legs'.

Top Bottom