• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Has Cost Microsoft More Money Than Any Title To Date

StuBurns

Banned
I wonder what they spent the money on. Yeah the graphics are really nice but smaller devs have pusshed out nice graphics before. Many old features and modes are missing and doesn't seem like it's packed with more content than any of the older games. I'm guessing it has something to do with that movie they're doing.
Well they had to start the studio too, that was a notable investment I'm sure.

I honestly hate that I can't play this because I no longer have an Xbox 360. And I can't really justify purchasing one for one game. I hadn't paid any attention to it at all because of that, but watching that E3 trailer, the part where it goes to gameplay looks like a concept render from 2005 in real-time.

If you're looking for Halo 1-3 style then you aren't missing anything.

Well to be honest, the last time I spent any real time on Halo multiplayer was on H2 so that's probably a large chunk of it. It felt more solid than say reach too. Even with all the perks and stuff now. Which I didn't really like in reach.

It just feels like Halo should. While still evolving the core mechanics.

Interesting. I really didn't like Halo 3, ODST, or Reach all that much at all which makes me think I'm just not into Halo anymore, but I absolutely loved the first two games.

Nutter

how do you know its growing if the game isnt out yet?

Mind telling everyone here how you know it isn't growing? Actually you keep saying stuff as if you have played the game already.

The game plays like a good Halo should. MP feels like Halo 2 which is good because the pace and mechanics in H2 really were that great.

Miles X

I'd be very surprised if Halo 4 didn't outsell GT5. That game has required about 5 different versions over the course of 2 years just to hit 7m+.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Honestly, I don't like the direction the multiplayer is taking. That encompasses a variety of things, from customizable load outs based on progression rewards, to ordnance that adds an ann extra layer of randomness and uncertainty to the gameplay, but mostly the player progression stuff connected to stuff that augments gameplay. It just all gets further away from the equal footing ethos that kept Halo unique in a world with increasing emphasis on customization that goes beyond the aesthetic.

But I'll still play it. I thought I was going to play Reach for years after it came out and that clearly didn't happen. With every other Halo game I played its multiplayer right up until the next one came out. But that just wasn't the case. So in a few ways I'm kind of excited that maybe some of this stuff will refreshen and maybe even be better than what has been in the past. Campaign is still my main focus and that definitely is still what's most interesting, but I've stopped trying to convince myself the multiplayer is going to be horrible and just going to wait until its in my hands to see. None of the MP videos really do anything for me and don't mean much until its actually in my hands.

StuBurns

Banned
It isn't what I mean, I'm forever seeing new editions, perhaps 5 is overexaggerating but I swear it's more than two. (GT Academy, XL edition ect)
I would say that's only one, as one is US and one is Europe. But Halo 4 will outsell it of course.

i hope they make a shit load of money in this game. im doing my part buying it

my gut tells me this game is going to be incredible, campaign and multiplayer wise

He is more saying like its pushing different effects imo.
With that how can killzone 2 be right when it isn't even using hdr lighting if im not mistaken.

Its all smoke and mirrors

I fail to see the big step up from Reach. Sure it has nicer cutscenes, but the gameplay? Nah.
Waiting to be proven wrong when I have the game in my hands. I agree that effects are not everything, but I am definitely missing some of the nicer ones.

JonCha

Honestly, I don't like the direction the multiplayer is taking. That encompasses a variety of things, from customizable load outs based on progression rewards, to ordnance that adds an ann extra layer of randomness and uncertainty to the gameplay, but mostly the player progression stuff connected to stuff that augments gameplay. It just all gets further away from the equal footing ethos that kept Halo unique in a world with increasing emphasis on customization that goes beyond the aesthetic.

But I'll still play it. I thought I was going to play Reach for years after it came out and that clearly didn't happen. With every other Halo game I played its multiplayer right up until the next one came out. But that just wasn't the case. So in a few ways I'm kind of excited that maybe some of this stuff will refreshen and maybe even be better than what has been in the past. Campaign is still my main focus and that definitely is still what's most interesting, but I've stopped trying to convince myself the multiplayer is going to be horrible and just going to wait until its in my hands to see. None of the MP videos really do anything for me and don't mean much until its actually in my hands.

Can I add two things? One, Infininty Slayer aside, Ordance Drops will be rolled back. An example is Team Slayer Pro which is sans personal ordnance, uses fixed loadouts where you'd choose from either a DMR, BR, or AR, no radar and increased movement speed. It is basically a better Halo: Reach.

And on progression, yes you need to unlock weapons but playlists will have loadouts to choose from with weapons suitable for the map/gametype.

abadguy

Banned
Well to be honest, the last time I spent any real time on Halo multiplayer was on H2 so that's probably a large chunk of it. It felt more solid than say reach too. Even with all the perks and stuff now. Which I didn't really like in reach.

It just feels like Halo should. While still evolving the core mechanics.

You're the second person on this site who has described the MP as feeling like H2. Unfortunately i never got to play MP in that game since i did not have live ( or high speed internet) at the time. I pretty much lived in H3 MP though and after l watching a lot of slayer matches in 4( especially the big team slayer match on Vortex) it gave me the familiar feeling of Halo 3 multi.

I'd be very surprised if Halo 4 didn't outsell GT5. That game has required about 5 different versions over the course of 2 years just to hit 7m+.

Those numbers are 1 year old. Just saying. And it was 2 versions, no different then a GOTY edition, not that it matters as those second versions aren't included in those numbers.

Miles X

Those numbers are 1 year old. Just saying. And it was 2 versions, no different then a GOTY edition, not that it matters as those second versions aren't included in those numbers.

I looked on the wiki page, looks like a lot more than two 0_o, and the last shipments were very low, not exactly like hardwear where it's going to keep selling half a mill every Q is it ...

I looked on the wiki page, looks like a lot more than two 0_o, and the last shipments were very low, not exactly like hardwear where it's going to keep selling half a mill every Q is it ...

Academy Edition = XL Edition, only in different regions. What other versions are there?

And like I said, those 7,4 Sales are from dec 2011. Before those 2 editions even released. The game also charted some times before those re-releases. The game will be ~9-10M when all is said and done.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I hope Halo 5 and 6 get this kind of treatment. This is just the first game in the new trilogy so I imagine 5 and 6 are going to get an even bigger treatment than 4. I hope that 6 also doesn't have a disappoint end like Mass Effect.

cluto

Can I add two things? One, Infininty Slayer aside, Ordance Drops will be rolled back. An example is Team Slayer Pro which is sans personal ordnance, uses fixed loadouts where you'd choose from either a DMR, BR, or AR, no radar and increased movement speed. It is basically a better Halo: Reach.

And on progression, yes you need to unlock weapons but playlists will have loadouts to choose from with weapons suitable for the map/gametype.

In Team Slayer Pro, how do weapon spawns work? If I understand correctly, there are initial weapon spawns at the beginning of the match, but after that everything is random. Does it work like that in objective games too?

I played it in Sydney a while back. Gotta say I loved the hell out of it. That's coming from someone who didn't really get into reach or Halo3.

I don't think they have turned it into "CoD in Space" at all. It still plays very much like Halo. Actually kind of reminds me more of Halo2 multiplayer.

So I'm very excited for the single player. I have managed to avoid spoilers. Only a little longer to go.

Also... 343i, Please, please, please get to work on ODST2. I don't care if the core Halo fans hated it. It was the most interesting Halo game this gen (so far).

Agreed. ODST was amazing, I had a blast with that game. That said, I think a lot of people liked it, they just weren't happy with the price.

I hope Halo 5 and 6 get this kind of treatment. This is just the first game in the new trilogy so I imagine 5 and 6 are going to get an even bigger treatment than 4. I hope that 6 also doesn't have a disappoint end like Mass Effect.

I bet they will... They may not be as expensive since the studio is now set up and Im sure that factored into the price, but I expect big things from them in the future.

Apath

I would say Reach was better than ODST by quite a bit. Although I absolutly loved ODST, I really hope we get a sequel next gen.
I agree. ODST was great in concept, but it was far too repetitive in that the hub world was the sort of thing where once you've seen 10% of it, you've seen all of it. I guess that's to be expected though from a budget release.

Halo: ODST > Halo: Reach

Eh. Conceptually, yes. ODST was a lot more original and had a very interesting style of story progression.. But Reach was a lot more new when it came to sandbox elements, engine and setting. Plus it had the benefit of a full production cycle. That said, some parts of ODST vastly outdo reach, particularly the atmosphere of the game.

I agree. ODST was great in concept, but it was far too repetitive in that the hub world was the sort of thing where once you've seen 10% of it, you've seen all of it. I guess that's to be expected though from a budget release.

Eh, I loved the HUB world.. I found it very easy but fun to navigate, and if I wanted to I could really get lost in it. There were a lot of cool encounters to it, and I liked that a lot of them could be avoided. I would have killed to see ODST get a full production budget and schedule. Still, I would be happy for a second ODST, even if it were set during the battle for Reach in the cities as they fell or something.

Apath

Eh. Conceptually, yes. ODST was a lot more original and had a very interesting style of story progression.. But Reach was a lot more new when it came to sandbox elements, engine and setting. Plus it had the benefit of a full production cycle. That said, some parts of ODST vastly outdo reach, particularly the atmosphere of the game.

Eh, I loved the HUB world.. I found it very easy but fun to navigate, and if I wanted to I could really get lost in it. There were a lot of cool encounters to it, and I liked that a lot of them could be avoided. I would have killed to see ODST get a full production budget and schedule. Still, I would be happy for a second ODST, even if it were set during the battle for Reach in the cities as they fell or something.
Don't get me wrong, on my first play through I thought it was great. It was when I re-visited the game that I found it nearly unplayable. Maybe if the hub world didn't feature respawning enemies, instead of roaming around fighting random encounters ad nauseum. Actually that would have been kind of cool, if the hub world had a pre-set number of enemies and reinforcements, and you could eventually re-take the city. Encounters could be tooled as specific tactical situations rather than obstacles impeding your progress.

i-Lo

What's with all the comparison with GT5? I guess no discussion is ever complete without bringing in that needless debate.

Anyway, any idea how much money was spent on Marketing and Making the game separately for the second most expensive Halo? Was it Reach (in terms of dev cost) and Halo 3 (overall)?

What's with all the comparison with GT5? I guess no discussion is ever complete without bringing in that needless debate.

It always comes up in Halo threads for some reason but I have no clue what a racing game in decline that only sells well in the PAL region has to with a FPS.

But yet... each new Halo thread....

i-Lo

ODST is the worst Halo, and Reach is the best. Terrible post, you should receive forty lashes.

Weirdly enough I am thinking of purchasing ODST in the coming weeks. As a person who has Halo 3 and Reach but never played them, I wish to delve into the mythos of Halo franchise. Are you telling me to skip it altogether?

Weirdly enough I am thinking of purchasing ODST in the coming weeks. As a person who has Halo 3 and Reach but never played them, I wish to delve into the mythos of Halo franchise. Are you telling me to skip it altogether?
ODST is worth a play, rent it if you can.

StuBurns

Banned
No, it's still excellent, just the least excellent. The missions feel a little like a 'best of the b-sides' type experience for me.

Apath

Play through Halo 3. Halo Reach is much more optional in terms of story, though I did enjoy Reach's campaign overall more. Halo 3 did have higher highs (and lower lows).

ODST is the worst Halo, and Reach is the best. Terrible post, you should receive forty lashes.
Well those words can be combined to say something true, but not in that order. Reach is definitely the worst overall Bungie made Halo game.

ODST is one of the best in terms of its single player package. Only bested by CE in my eyes.

HALO 3 had the best encounters of any HALO. So many memorable moments and combat situations that could play out so differently every time thanks to the amazing scale and A.I. Things just went bonkers sometimes when you've got scarabs and choppers and tanks on the ground in these massive, a.i-controlled firefights.

Reach didn't even begin to compare.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
HALO 3 had the best encounters of any HALO. So many memorable moments and combat situations that could play out so differently every time thanks to the amazing scale and A.I. Things just went bonkers sometimes when you've got scarabs and choppers and tanks on the ground in these massive, a.i-controlled firefights.

Reach didn't even begin to compare.

Seriously, I replayed Halo 3 levels countless times, the sandbox reached its pinnacle in that game.

i-Lo

ODST is worth a play, rent it if you can.

No, it's still excellent, just the least excellent. The missions feel a little like a 'best of the b-sides' type experience for me.

Thanks. One question pertaining to level design. Let me preface it by saying that I couldn't play Halo past the first level because continuous dark corridors (grey and otherwise) in which gamplays are set induced headache and nausea. As such, is the level design of ODST similar in that regard?

Top Bottom