• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Story Spoilers and Speculations

TheOddOne

Buck a Cortana, Didact will be all like "I placed, the waypoint marker, on zie hud. The Fo'runners have advanced to show stuff on huds".

I don't think it makes a difference. They're not Spartan IIs and clearly not as up to snuff as the Chief is, for all he cares they're advanced soldiers in armor, Spartan in name only. Like he'd assume the maniacal UNSC would have stopped at the Spartan II program after the success they've achieved either, and they hadn't done anything in the 4 years he was gone. There's no time for those kinds of inquiries with all the other stuff stressing Chief at the time either.

Just you wait, next game will be Chief breaking down after realising that the UNSC turned him into a machine. He'll turn into a rogue merc going around killing the heads of ONI to put a stop to the Spartan programs.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I hope they reclone a new AI from Halsey's brain and make a new cortana. Its just not a real halo campaign without her talking you through the game.
you kids and your fetishes
Just you wait, next game will be Chief breaking down after realising that the UNSC turned him into a machine. He'll turn into a rogue merc going around killing the heads of ONI to put a stop to the Spartan programs.
You will be facing the UNSC by Halo 6.

wwm0nkey

And no I just read up on this. :O

But I wanted an answer to the HALO: CE question 'Last time you asked me..'
Crazy shit right?

Also in the CEA terminals when POA is about to enter the Halo ring 343 mentions something about the pitch of a geas which is memories implanted into a person without them knowing. The Didact in Halo 4 seems to be the Ur-Didact so it's possible Chief has the geas of Bornsteller (other Didact) who activated the Halo rings, because no way the Ur-Didact could have done that in his Cryptum.

The Bornsteller Didact was also a friend of Chakas so that might explain that particular line.

*end of crazy theory*

I would like to formally nominate Roland as Master Chief's AI for the remainder of the Halo 4 trilogy:

260px-H4-Roland-Portrait.jpg

All in favor say aye

Flipyap

Call me crazy, but I have a feeling that all of these so called Spartan IV's are going to inevitably have a confrontation with Chief, and that he has to be taken out for going "rampant".
Maybe a few of them will, in some random book, but I don't think that's ever going to happen in a game. For one thing, humans would make horribly boring Halo enemies, and 343 needs them to justify their multiplayer progression. They're not going to make a game where you have to play someone who would want to/is ordered to shoot their mascot in the face.

Crazy shit right?

Also in the CEA terminals when POA is about to enter the Halo ring 343 mentions something about the pitch of a geas which is memories implanted into a person without them knowing. The Didact in Halo 4 seems to be the Ur-Didact so it's possible Chief has the geas of Bornsteller (other Didact) who activated the Halo rings, because no way the Ur-Didact could have done that in his Cryptum.

The Bornsteller Didact was also a friend of Chakas so that might explain that particular line.

*end of crazy theory*
Geas is a set of genetic instructions (see: Master Chief's magical destiny), it has nothing to do with the mind ghosts.
Everything suggests that it's Bornstellar (the Qte-Didact) in Halo 4.

I would like to formally nominate Roland as Master Chief's AI for the remainder of the Halo 4 trilogy:

260px-H4-Roland-Portrait.jpg

All in favor say aye
Could he be a little more naked? I mean, it's only fair.

wwm0nkey

Maybe a few of them will, in some random book, but I don't think that's ever going to happen in a game. For one thing, humans would make horribly boring Halo enemies, and 343 needs them to justify their multiplayer progression. They're not going to make a game where you have to play someone who would want to/is ordered to shoot their mascot in the face.

Geas is a set of genetic instructions (see: Master Chief's magical destiny), it has nothing to do with the mind ghosts.

Could he be a little more naked? I mean, it's only fair.
Might be getting things a bit mixed up then but what was the reason Chakas had mind ghosts?

Also guess it could still be applied to the Ur-Didact then?

Canuck76

Banned
I loved that end line in end of this game "She said that too once"

Often times this game got pretty sappy, trying just a little too hard

But that last scene had the right tone

Flipyap

Might be getting things a bit mixed up then but what was the reason Chakas had mind ghosts?

Also guess it could still be applied to the Ur-Didact then?
Chakas calls it "an automated imprinting system", which sounds like the probes the Primordial eventually took over to adjust their commands. These also seem to be related to the Composer, since it was used to extract the "spirit" from Chakas and it was the thing that made a backup of the Lord in the first place.
I mean, hell, I could be wrong, this is some serious space fantasy gibberish after all, but the book seems to avoid using the term "geas" anywhere near the mentions of imprinted personalities, and it really doesn't fit the proper definition of a geas.

I just don't like the idea of Guilty Spark talking to a ghost that neither of the parties could even hear.

That line was THE WORST!
You can't go "she said that to me once" when "once" was, like, an hour ago.

monome

Care to explain why it seems to be Bornstellar who has gone apeshit?
From the cutscenes and the star wars hugging between Didact and Librarian I would very much consider it's the ur-Didact I've seen falling down the bridge.

By the way, no way the Librarian is dead nor have we seen the last of that Cortana.

Also, the Composer was built by the Precursors, right? how come it looks so much Forerunner when those guys could not scratch Precursors things.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

I feel the complete opposite. I feel like if they had left that line out, the scene would have been much better. Came off as kind of cheesy and in your face with that line included, and just doesn't seem like something the Chief would say.

wwm0nkey

From the cutscenes and the star wars hugging between Didact and Librarian I would very much consider it's the ur-Didact I've seen falling down the bridge.

By the way, no way the Librarian is dead nor have we seen the last of that Cortana.

Also, the Composer was built by the Precursors, right? how come it looks so much Forerunner when those guys could not scratch Precursors things.
Hmmm yeah and it was the Ur who went to war with the ancient humans too right?

Tokubetsu

Chakas calls it "an automated imprinting system", which sounds like the probes the Primordial eventually took over to adjust their commands. These also seem to be related to the Composer, since it was used to extract the "spirit" from Chakas and it was the thing that made a backup of the Lord in the first place.
I mean, hell, I could be wrong, this is some serious space fantasy gibberish after all, but the book seems to avoid using the term "geas" anywhere near the mentions of imprinted personalities, and it really doesn't fit the proper definition of a geas.

I just don't like the idea of Guilty Spark talking to a ghost that neither of the parties could even hear.

That line was THE WORST!
You can't go "she said that to me once" when "once" was, like, an hour ago.

Yeah it would have been more meaningful if they pulled a Cortana line from Halo 1 or 2.

Flipyap

Chakas mentions the Didact's betrayal when describing his time with the Qte-Didact, there is no reason for him to suddenly start talking about the other one. I don't think the story told that poorly.
The terminals seem to switch Didacts without informing the player of that entire subplot. It's the Ur-Didact who interacted with the Lord of Admirals and he's presented as this "handsome" Forerunner, when the story gets to the place where Ur-Didact is supposed to be "dead", he's replaced with a grotesque monster, part of it might be "his new form", but it's Bornstellar who was described as an awkward, misshapen thing.
Also, "Bornstellar" doesn't exist anymore by the time we meet him in Primordium. If you can accept Ur-Didact's betrayal, I don't see how this would be any different.

I don't think there was any talk about the Composer being Precursor technology, but the book sure loved to to imply that it's a creature, but all we got in the end was a space butt plug that shoots lasers.

monome

Hmmm yeah and it was the Ur who went to war with the ancient humans too right?

yes.

He's way older than Bornstellar, and by the time Bornstellar was born the human-forerunner war was over and humans were devolved.

I'm still surprised Halo 4 went into such a one dimensional depiction of the original Didact.
I understand the Mantle thing and his motivation, but would have thought all the events happening prior to the Halo strike would have made him more relatable to humans, rather than make him a nasty enslaving dude...

Silentium better flesh the shit out his motivations because as of now I'm not sold.

Also, why make ancient humans mohicans?

Chakas mentions the Didact's betrayal when describing his time with the Qte-Didact, there is no reason for him to suddenly start talking about the other one. I don't think the story told that poorly.
The terminals seem to switch Didacts without informing the player of that entire subplot. It's the Ur-Didact who interacted with the Lord of Admirals and he's presented as this "handsome" Forerunner, when the story gets to the place where Ur-Didact is supposed to be "dead", he's replaced with a grotesque monster, part of it might be "his new form", but it's Bornstellar who was described as an awkward, misshapen thing.
Also, "Bornstellar" doesn't exist anymore by the time we meet him in Primordium. If you can accept Ur-Didact's betrayal, I don't see how this would be any different.

I don't think there was any talk about the Composer being Precursor technology, but the book sure loved to to imply that it's a creature, but all we got in the end was a space butt plug that shoots lasers.

not sure Bornstellar is completely erased though.
But truth is Didact is handsome in the cutscene and has glowing eyes the minute after...but I think it's mostly due to the matte painting effect of the cutscene.
And why flesh out Bornstellar Didact relationship with the Librarian in a way that spans millenia whereas they pretty much spend only a year or so together before the Halos fire?

I'll have more difficulty accepting it's Bornstellar.
ur-Didact is clearly too much involved in the Mantle, and has been holding a grudge towards humans for killing his sons and generally showing him Forerunners may not be able to hold the Mantle.

Flipyap

not sure Bornstellar is completely erased though.

“Bornstellar?”
“No more, except in my dreams."

The Didact stepped forward first. I struggled to find something of the young Bornstellar in this great, bulky form, but I could not. The Manipular had been completely absorbed by the old Warrior-Servant.

monome

“Bornstellar?”
“No more, except in my dreams."

The Didact stepped forward first. I struggled to find something of the young Bornstellar in this great, bulky form, but I could not. The Manipular had been completely absorbed by the old Warrior-Servant.

yeah; I read the same book, don't worry.

Still, you're up to your interpretation of what "in my dreams" involves, and I remember he's actually pretty contradicted by the loss of chakas and his transformation into GS. especially when you know the Librarian played with him.
two things th original Didact would not have lost a breath about.

also, how come Didact built his prometheans from old humans? by the time of the books they're all dead, and prior to the books Prometheans are real forerunners or Spirits taken from the Domain...

ALSO, no controllable Sphinx in the SP campaign...fuck you!!!!

Trey

also, how come Didact built his prometheans from old humans? by the time of the books they're all dead, and prior to the books Prometheans are real forerunners or Spirits taken from the Domain...

The old humans weren't extinct until the Halos fired.

Flipyap

yeah; I read the same book, don't worry.
I didn't mean to imply you haven't. These lines were simply relevant.

He used actual Prometheans to create "Prometheans" at first and only switched to neocavemen once he ran out of his own people to blend.
Also, this entire concept behind the Prom Bots is unbelievably stupid and the Didact is a psychotic idiot, so that's also a valid explanation for all of his actions.

So, is there a consensus on which Didact we faced, or will we have to wait until March to find out? I'm guessing we faced the original, because there's no way in hell the Bornstellar Didact would take this stance against humans.

Man.. and some people thought HALO 2's story was convoluted. :lol:

The universe is full of cold, hard facts. And this is one of them.

Flipyap

Man.. and some people thought HALO 2's story was convoluted. :lol:
Well, Halo 2's story WAS harder to follow because you couldn't just focus on saving your virtual girlfriend and completely zone out when the game starts babbling about gene songs and mantles, like you can with 4. 2 had more than two characters, it had twists and space muppet politics at the forefront.
Most of the stuff that makes 343's universe so convoluted didn't even make it into the game.

TheOddOne

Well, Halo 2's story WAS harder to follow because you couldn't just focus on saving your virtual girlfriend and completely zone out when the game starts babbling about gene songs and mantles, like you can with 4. 2 had more than two characters, it had twists and space muppet politics at the forefront.
Most of the stuff that makes 343's universe so convoluted didn't even make it into the game.
But but UNSC is the devil. Spartan IV's. Eggheads.

Monocle

That's exactly why they shouldn't bring her back, though. They can't backpedal.
It would be better than what Bungie did, which was to establish a great dynamic between the Chief and Cortana in Halo CE and then downplay it for the rest of the series. I would gladly accept a contrived plot twist if it meant having Cortana back for Halo 5. She's a defining element of Halo. Her dialog influences the tone of the game as much as the music, if not more so. One of the major reasons Halo 4's campaign works so well is that Jen Taylor absolutely nailed her performance, recapturing and largely surpassing her contribution to the original game.

My interest in the rest of 343's Halo trilogy will drop in a big way if Cortana isn't a significant presence in the next two games.

Does Chief every react to the Spartan 4's? That bothered me a bit. Although it was neat at the end when you see that the 4's are only half his size.

Palmer seems neat. Dat Jennifer Hale.
Neat? I heard her condescend marines (crap about how Spartans get the job done faster, not like those guys are risking their lives without your armour or anything) and the science guy during the second SO mission

I just realized I think 343 is taking the Robot Chicken route when it comes to their games, in comparison to RC's seasons. They made it self-contained in the worst-case scenario that they couldn't continue it for whatever reason. That's also why they renamed it to the Reclaimer Saga, among other things (such as the cohesive books/supplementary games/etc being a part of it in contrast to the Halo Trilogy). Whether this holds for future games is yet to be seen.

Oh my God...

I might be crazy... but... The Composer. Cortana. Digitizing....

What if Cortana is humanized by the Composer? Knowing it can digitize, surely it can do the opposite too. It makes too much sense in my head at the moment. It would explain all these "I'll never be able to tell you if it [/i]feels real[/i]" speeches.

So, what the fuck is the Mantle?

Responsibility for all things.

http://www.halopedia.org/Mantle

The Mantle of Responsibility was a Forerunner belief system in which the Forerunners upheld they were required to protect and promote life. Bridging the social strata between an interstellar Marshall Plan and a religious, but benevolent stewardship, the Forerunners took responsibility for the protection and cultivation of the species and planetary systems within their domain. The Mantle was based around the concept of Living Time; "the joy of life's interaction with the Cosmos". This was also the origin of all of the complex rules involved in the Mantle.

Flipyap

So, what the fuck is the Mantle?
Depends on whom you ask. In theory, it's a moral code meant to require the leading civilization to protect and promote life in the galaxy, but in reality it was complete nonsense and Forerunners just kept throwing the term around to justify their Space Nazi ways.
It's an excuse. A philosophical MacGuffin.

Depends on whom you ask. In theory, it's a moral code meant to require the leading civilization to protect and promote life in the galaxy, but in reality it was complete nonsense and Forerunners just kept throwing the term around to justify their Space Nazi ways.
It's an excuse. A philosophical MacGuffin.

I was expectint it to be something tangible, like a new form of being, a superior way.

I thought that what the Librarian did to the Chief was to help him reach the Mantle, but It was really confusing with the last video after credits.

Thanks for the explanation.

monome

Most of the threads are not closed.

We do not see Cortana "die".
Nor do we see the fate of Jul M'Dama.
Chief is out of cryo, and from the legendary ending glimpse we get, he's not getting younger.
Didact has fallen into the magic cauldron.
Why would GS² look for the Librarian if she's dead?
If she's not dead, there is a good chance there are other forerunners alive.
Precursors are not even hinted at in-game, whereas we know they (or their actions) are the endgame threat of the current Halo universe.

and the composer? is it destroyed?
it looks the artifact onboard the Infinity from the artworks.

I do like the idea of Chief being Human 3.0, hopefully brings new stuff to the gaemplay of Halo 5, because I'm ready for a new way (or evolution) to play in my next-gen Halo

Flipyap

Most of the threads are not closed.

Nor do we see the fate of Jul M'Dama.
Why would GS² look for the Librarian if she's dead?
- You shouldn't need to see the corpse of a person who doesn't have a body (most of the time).
- Jul and the rest of his species are not in-game characters. Maybe Traviss will describe what happens to him one day, but in the game he's nothing more than another one of Didact's pets. Though it's not like he really matters even in the expanded universe at this point - take him out and something else will take his place.
- Because "alive" might mean a different thing to a guy who died a pretty long time ago.

Darklord

Banned

She clearly said most of her is "down there" referring to the just nuked space ship. I think it's going to be shitty if they just bring that Cortana back. They had their moment. She died. Leave it at that. Move on to something else.

Top Bottom