• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Story Spoilers and Speculations

Woorloog

Banned
My kindle edition doesnt have a page count, just those stupid location numbers. Maybe someone with a physical copy can chime in?

o_O What kinda eBook is that? No page numbers? /facepalm

I'd check mine but as i said, i need to find it first. And folks are sleeping so i'd rather not start searching for it...

The ancilla would supply only scattered images of a select few, under the protection of the Librarian, transplanted to Erde-Tyrene. Under her influence, equipped with her geas, these pitiful remnants had in a few thousand years grown into a population of hundreds of thousands and regained many of their ancestral forms. If Erde-Tyrene had been their true planet of origin, then these later transplants and interventions must have muddied the fossil record beyond all sense.

Bear, Greg (2011-01-04). Halo: Cryptum: Book One of the Forerunner Saga (p. 127). Macmillan. Kindle Edition.

I think this is the quote that the wiki is referring to. Hmm, seems like a contradiction. It says nothing about cultures being shattered, though.

Red

I didn't like the final scene with Cortana. When she strokes John's chest I couldn't help but laugh. I like to picture the two of them as close friends, but that kind of intimate contact ("Ive waited so long for this") turns it too much into a romance. And because Cortana is Halsey, and the spartans see Halsey as a mother... The whole situation is strange.

I was glad so much of the game avoided QTEs. And then the ending arrived and it was a slowly deflating balloon, complete with fart sound.

I thought the Lasky scene was well done. And all of it was presented nicely despite its silliness. Where were they at the end? Robot heaven? I was sitting there rubbing my head.

Those are my initial impressions at least.

Squire

Banned
I don't see why the military would bestow so much to one thing that in the end is so easily corrupted.

She lasted a full year past her expectation date and was still fighting when she sacrificed herself. I think she deserves a bit more credit.

This is something I want to address. All the AIs seem to do is military applications. How has there not been one AI that just refused? Are they not truly sentient with free will? How does Cortana not just tell Chief "let's run away together!"

I assume they're all designed to be loyal to a fault to the UNSC and their superiors within it.

S1kkZ

I didn't like the final scene with Cortana. When she strokes John's chest I couldn't help but laugh. I like to picture the two of them as close friends, but that kind of intimate contact ("Ive waited so long for this") turns it too much into a romance. And because Cortana is Halsey, and the spartans see Halsey as a mother... The whole situation is strange.

I was glad so much of the game avoided QTEs. And then the ending arrived and it was a slowly deflating balloon, complete with fart sound.

I thought the Lasky scene was well done. And all of it was presented nicely despite its silliness. Where were they at the end? Robot heaven? I was sitting there rubbing my head.

Those are my initial impressions at least.

-cortana was "dying" and insane.

-cortana is a clone of halsey but she is not like halsey.

-cortana used the light bridge to protect the chief. i think it was pretty obvious (the background in robot "heaven" had the same look as the light bridge in the final "battle".

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
And because Cortana is Halsey

Eh, she started out as a part of Halsey but grew as something more. I literally know nothing about the books, but it seems Chief and Cortana are both trying to go against what they're programmed for, and ultimately remain together in the end. I always thought of it as a unique kind of romance.

Woorloog

Banned
I think this is the quote that the wiki is referring to. Hmm, seems like a contradiction. It says nothing about cultures being shattered, though.

I reckon "culture" referrence is an incorrect intepretation of this quote from the book then. But regardless, this quote seems to imply humans had many forms before their loss, though it also seems these forms were vanishing ("regained many of their ancestral forms") before the Forerunners defeated humans.

Red

Eh, she started out as a part of Halsey but grew as something more. I literally know nothing about the books, but it seems Chief and Cortana are both trying to go against what they're programmed for, and ultimately remain together in the end. I always thought of it as a unique kind of romance.
I dont have a huge problem with it. I get that theyre close, i just thought the chest rub was goofy. Can we assume she used the light bridge to gain mass? If we are going to say the light bridge is what protected Chief (let's ignore how it would still be operational for now), is that a fair assumption?

Zeal

Banned
I was afraid this might happen. And by this I mean Halo's fiction becoming incredibly convoluted. They should have stuck with the original idea of the Forerunner being ancient humanity, which is obvious in Halo CE if you listen to everything Guilty Spark said to Chief.

I hope that future installments will simplify things a bit.

Deadly

I kind of took "An ancient evil awakens..." to mean more that humanity is starting to reach ancient human level more than the Didact waking up especially based on the ending. Anyone else get that?
The ancient humans were good guys if anything. They just had a more upfront way to deal with the Flood. The Forerunners basically did the same as them but avoided the confrontation.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I assume they're all designed to be loyal to a fault to the UNSC and their superiors within it.

Smart AIs aren't designed, they're mapped out from a brain and simply are. Cortana changed anything in her programming that Halsey put in that she didn't like. Like a viral termination code in her kernel.

These AIs are human minds on computer chips, and they're treated like tools and just go with it. I don't get it.

Squire

Banned
Smart AIs aren't designed, they're mapped out from a brain and simply are. Cortana changed anything in her programming that Halsey put in that she didn't like. Like a viral termination code in her kernel.

These AIs are human minds on computer chips, and they're treated like tools and just go with it. I don't get it.

Spartans are effectively the same. I can think of two good reasons for both: obligation and loyalty.

I've seen this view expressed before. I'm not sure it's how I feel, but I certainly appreciate it.

Coconut

Banned
I have a feeling a theme for the next game is that the thing that kept master chief 'human' is cortana and in poetic whatever, the thing that keeps him human is a thing that is inhuman.

So is Master Chief a machine or what? Lasky said something and I wasn't really paying attention so I guess that was the big twist? That's why he didn't get turned into dust right?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
So is Master Chief a machine or what? Lasky said something and I wasn't really paying attention so I guess that was the big twist? That's why he didn't get turned into dust right?

I think the Librarian endowed his immunity for the survival?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
The Librarian made him immune to the composer, which is what Didact used to turn all those people to ash (which he converts into Prometheans).

That's what I said.

Survival = survival of the composer.

Air

Banned
I hate that they revealed the chiefs face and don't like the story at all. I didn't like the prometheans, or knew what was going on (I watched a playthrough because my Xbox died). I'm actually really disappointed with where they took everything relating to the ip. Ugh, I don't know what else to say :(.

NBtoaster

I think the last scene with Cortana was one of the better attempts in a game of an emotional scene. Great music and performances, in spite of a couple cheesy lines. The shot of Cheif just standing there as the ship falls around behind him is spectacular.

I'd be very disappointed if they bring Cortana (that Cortana) back without considerable effort, certainly not in the next game.

Coconut

Banned
I hate that they revealed the chiefs face and don't like the story at all. I didn't like the prometheans, or knew what was going on (I watched a playthrough because my Xbox died). I'm actually really disappointed with where they took everything relating to the ip. Ugh, I don't know what else to say :(.

You watched like 9hrs of gameplay!?

I'm still surprised that the Didact was the real "ancient evil" the game was hyping up. I would have bet everything on it being the Precursors before release.

Hopefully Halo 5 introduces Precursors or new Flood forms because fighting the same three Prometheans did get really repetitive.

golem

I'm still surprised that the Didact was the real "ancient evil" the game was hyping up. I would have bet everything on it being the Precursors before release.

Hopefully Halo 5 introduces Precursors or new Flood forms because fighting the same three Prometheans did get really repetitive.
The precursors will probably be the threat for the next trilogy. Slowly peeling back the history of the universe.. 343s got games to make! Sooner or later I expect to have to stop the big bang.. :p

Ok. Just finished the campaign. I have some questions.

How did Cortana/MC know Didact's name? Why weren't they surprised to see him?

How did Didact's stay alive for hundreds of thousands of years? Why did he wait until now to return?

Why were the covenant fighting humans still? I thought there was a truce?

Why does Didact's hate humans again? And why did he create prometheans?

I thought there was some bit about copying sentient minds over to machines?

What was that blue shit at the end? Why didn't MC die?

Really dumb for the story to leave me with so many questions....

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
MC is a cybernetic organism. Living tissue over metal endoskeleton.

image.php

Havok

How did Didact's stay alive for hundreds of thousands of years? Why did he decide to not leave until now?

1) Poor writing. If you really want to stretch it, there's an audio log type thing in the beginning of Level 2 that mentions the word Didact, and the Elite that kneels as the Didact is taking control of his Prometheans after his revival says his name as well.
2) He was in his cryptum (the ball), in a sort of stasis field, if I'm remembering my novel info correctly. He was trapped in there by the Librarian and only a human (Reclaimer) could get him out, which is what Chief inadvertantly did by touching the pillars, thinking it was a comm relay satellite.
4) This branch is a group that does not trust humanity (for good reason, as we incited a civil war to destabilize them after the events of Halo 3), rebelled against the Arbiter on Sanghelios, and discovered that the Didact was somewhere out there and revere him as a god hoping he'll lead them to the destruction of the human parasite. What, you mean the line "These Covenant seem more fanatical than the ones we fought before." didn't tell you that in a satisfactory manner? Who fuckin' knew.
4) Watch the terminals. It's not ideal, but it'll answer your questions. Prometheans were created to combat the Flood because the Flood only consume organic material.
5) That is the purpose of the Composer.
6) Cortana had control of the hard light systems (see: the light bridge) and shielded him. This also gave her the benefit of being "solid" so she could now "touch" the Chief. It's silly. I know.

The story is not handled especially wonderfully.

How did Didact's stay alive for hundreds of thousands of years? Why did he wait until now to return?

1. I think cortana figured out who he was when they approached the sphere and reactivated it.

2. he was in a stasis. like the mc at the beginning of halo 4 but much more advanced.

3. they weren't the covenant of past halo games. it's mentioned early on that they look different from those covenant. probably a team that was sent out to look for the forerunner homeworld before or just after the war started.

4. this is explained in the terminal videos. did you unlock them? if you didn't, they are all on youtube. I recommend watching them as they contain some vital backstory. it's disappointing that 343 didn't implement them into gameplay.

5. can you expand on this?

6. I'm a little lost here as well.

some answers may be wrong, so sorry for any misleading information.

edit.

Ignore, answered in much more detail above.

So if the composer copies people into the matrix, then all the people it vaporized on the ship there aren't really gone? Where is the network where they exist?

What was the deal with that Didact monologue at the end? What is a "reclaimer?" I'm assuming Didact isn't dead..

Oh, and don't you have to find the terminals in game to watch the videos? I'm not gonna play through the campaign again, heh.

So if the composer copies people into the matrix, then all the people it vaporized on the ship there aren't really gone? Where is the network where they exist?

What was the deal with that Didact monologue at the end? What is a "reclaimer?" I'm assuming Didact isn't dead..

Oh, and don't you have to find the terminals in game to watch the videos? I'm not gonna play through the campaign again, heh.

sadly you do, but they are available to watch on youtube.

here's the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bznq4Zr2gTw

Havok

The Domain, which is Forerunner Xfinity Internet provided by Comcast Corporation, could conceivably be up and running on a small scale (though 343GS mentions in the Anniversary terminals that he doesn't have access to it anymore, so who knows), and they might be there or just sent directly to the Requiem network.

There's a bit of debate on whether or not the ending monologue takes place after the events of Halo 4 or during the events of the Human-Forerunner war 100k years ago. The Didact is likely not dead, no. It fits best in the latter context, as far as I'm concerned. A Reclaimer, as they've been presented so far, is just a human, no real mystery about it.

Just watch them on youtube, they're all there somewhere. See above.

Just to be clear regarding my memory of Halo 3's ending...after the slip space portal closed leaving MC and Cortana's half of the Forward Unto Dawn drifting outside of the galaxy, did it just happen to casually float towards Requiem - a planet apparently right by the Ark? If you don't recall just how far away the Ark actually was relative to the Milky Way Galaxy:

z3DDfl.jpg

I mean... there's no way that a ship with no propulsion just drifted from that distance back to the Milky Way in any human's lifetime...so is Requiem outside of the Milky Way or is it just an oversight that I'm being overly critical about? It doesn't really make sense for a planet to be outside of the damn Milky Way, especially since in the cutscenes they show a large amount of stars in the background and Covenant and Human ships alike seem to have no problem reaching it.

Lakitu

st5fu
For those wondering how Cortana and Chief known Didact's name, after they release him, the Prometheans chant 'Didact' repeatedly.

lefantome

Two questions:

1) why the old humans attacked the forerunners while being attacked by the flood instead of saying "hey wemhavemdiscover a,parasitic life form who is threating to destroy all the life in the galaxy, can you help us?"

2) what is the composer doing? Seems to vaporize people not turning the, into robots.

monome

Two questions:

1) why the old humans attacked the forerunners while being attacked by the flood instead of saying "hey wemhavemdiscover a,parasitic life form who is threating to destroy all the life in the galaxy, can you help us?"

2) what is the composer doing? Seems to vaporize people not turning the, into robots.

huamns are expentionnists, so they were grabbing land just as well as fleeing.
looks like Forerunners are not very docile nor did they make first peacefull contact either.

Probably started with a few skirmishes before becoming a galactic war.
both races have access to super advanced tech.

Ancient Humans seem to have a more military organisation, whereas Forerunners are the ideologists.
Methink the fact that Forerunners wiped out Precursors long before may play a role in the fact that whatever they believe is a threat to the Mantle has to be taken care of ASAP

Top Bottom