• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Forge - First PC Gameplay (Custom Match + 4K Map Flythrough)

I understand not pushing the whole game, but for what you've already developed and plan on releasing, why not just include a Matchmaking/Server Browser system?

You have the game's whole Multiplayer in with the exception of Warzone, you're allowing players to group up and play matches through Custom Games, just implement a Matchmaking system and you'd be golden. Just seems like an odd choice.

Because it was primarily build for Forge. Building maps and testing them doesnt require MM.

Because it was primarily build for Forge. Building maps and testing them doesnt require MM.
Right, but the core MP maps and modes are in there already. I get that it's primary function is as a Forge tool, but if you have the modes, you have the maps and you have the game playable in a fashion other than Forge (like playing the base maps in Custom Games with friends) why not just implement a way to organize games online that run the base game and modes like the Xbox One version does?

If you already have the tools, you may as well. Just seems a bit pointless not to.

Trup1aya

I understand not pushing the whole game, but for what you've already developed and plan on releasing, why not just include a Matchmaking/Server Browser system?

You have the game's whole Multiplayer in with the exception of Warzone, you're allowing players to group up and play matches through Custom Games, just implement a Matchmaking system and you'd be golden. Just seems like an odd choice.

We've been asking for server browsers since h2. Maybe if the PC master race joins in on the chorus, maybe our prayers will finally be answered...

probably not though :(

Right, but the core MP maps and modes are in there already. I get that it's primary function is as a Forge tool, but if you have the modes, you have the maps and you have the game playable in a fashion other than Forge (like playing the base maps in Custom Games with friends) why not just implement a way to organize games online that run the base game and modes like the Xbox One version does?

If you already have the tools, you may as well. Just seems a bit pointless not to.

Because its free. Theyre not going to give away the best part of halo5 on pc while console owners have to pay for it. Common sense.

nillapuddin

rent a server needs to be a thing

I will pay (a small, but reoccurring) amount of money so that people can play on a nilla curated playlist.

Wait, is there an FOV option in the PC version? I didn't see it, but just in case I missed it, did any of these videos go in depth with the PC options?

It will be nice to play some matches on pc with a mouse and keyboard, it's been months since I last played the game on xbox one but i'd be lying if I said I was not excited for this on pc.

nOoblet16

This has got to be the biggest tease ever, everything needed for Halo 5 to beoon PC seems to be in place, by having the code run on PC one of the biggest task of porting is already solved...except they won't release any more than this. No proper online or the SP.

belushy

Banned
Wait, is there an FOV option in the PC version? I didn't see it, but just in case I missed it, did any of these videos go in depth with the PC options?

I looked for it specifically when watching the Gamespot videos but unfortunately the players never went to the Video settings.

nOoblet16

Uh, CoD looks kinda bad and you re the only one talking about realism here.
COD doesn't look kinda bad, it's one of the better looking games out there. You won't find that many first person shooters that look better than COD out there. Advanced Warfare for instance still has faces, the quality of which in game, have hardly been beaten ingame by other games and Infinite Warfare looks great too.

Halo 5 has always been stylised, more so since Halo 4 with its Forerunner architecture which looks very odd.

Looks pretty nice! Downsampled from 4k is gonna pretty sweet on my 980ti. Wish you could enable self shadow on your first person model like the beta had (I just like the visual effect lol)

Also yo Frankie if you're reading, does controller support mean we have magnetism in this port? So while obviously someone who is good with mouse and keyboard will still wreck me I can at least aim decently?

COD doesn't look kinda bad, it's one of the better looking games out there. You won't find that many first person shooters that look better than COD out there. Advanced Warfare for instance still has faces, the quality of which in game, have hardly been beaten ingame by other games and Infinite Warfare looks great too.
You're not joking, are you?

MMmmmMMmmmm This will tide me over nicely till Halo 6 hits PC.

After playing lots of console ports at 4k on my PC this actually looks a little bit better than I thought it would. Especially knowing it wasn't designed for PC in mind to begin with.

Why not just release the full multiplayer on PC? I don't get this.

.....It's been said over and over, but this is completely free and mainly as a tool for Forgers to get even more precision out of forge, maps are shared to Xbox ONE users as well. Also with the awesome added benefit of the entirely of the Arena multiplayer suite (other than Match making) for custom games. Halo 5 is almost 1 year old and it would take significantly more work/more people who could be doing something else to get it up and running, this is free and you can see it as 343 laying the ground work for the engine for a Halo 6 that will 99% be day and date on PC with Xbox ONE.

Some people are just never happy.

Why no matchmaking?

Everything is on Dedicated servers. Dedicated servers are not free. This 'game' is free.

This is really for Forge Map creators. 343 could have easily released PC forge with local 'testing' only. To test properly, you'd have to go onto an Xbox One.

But to their credit, they've basically chucked in everything for PC to have Arena for 'free'... If people can find enough players to play with.

Seriously. 343/MS did not have to do this.

I know it can be fashionable to shit on MS/343/Halo, but come on.

PC players can play Halo 5 Arena, with friends, for free. Halo 5. Free.

If this is successful, there will be multiple dedicated websites/forums to congregate players together.

It won't be as seamless as matchmaking, but did I mention it is free?

Kibbles

wtf did GameSpot do to their website player? I went there expecting a nice bitrate version and their player is complete garbage now and shit quality, low framerate :(

Some people are just never happy.

Why no matchmaking?

Everything is on Dedicated servers. Dedicated servers are not free. This 'game' is free.

This is really for Forge Map creators. 343 could have easily released PC forge with local 'testing' only. To test properly, you'd have to go onto an Xbox One.

But to their credit, they've basically chucked in everything for PC to have Arena for 'free'... If people can find enough players to play with.

Seriously. 343/MS did not have to do this.

I know it can be fashionable to shit on MS/343/Halo, but come on.

PC players can play Halo 5 Arena, with friends, for free. Halo 5. Free.

If this is successful, there will be multiple dedicated websites/forums to congregate players together.

It won't be as seamless as matchmaking, but did I mention it is free?
But how many people wanted it to be free? We don't ask for P2P games, they're just given to us because that's what's deemed viable to the publisher.

They're releasing this free version of Forge because for one reason or another, they don't want to give us the full package for MSRP. I would gladly pay the full cost of this game to play it on PC.

But ignoring all that, what we were hoping for at the very least was a browser of some sort to find custom game matches, something that's been asked for since Halo 3. Though yes, you're right that there will be other means of which to find people to play custom games with, but it's always better to have an in-game option for this.

But how many people wanted it to be free? We don't ask for P2P games, they're just given to us because that's what's deemed viable to the publisher.

They're releasing this free version of Forge because for one reason or another, they don't want to give us the full package for MSRP. I would gladly pay the full cost of this game to play it on PC.

But ignoring all that, what we were hoping for at the very least was a browser of some sort to find custom game matches, something that's been asked for since Halo 3. Though yes, you're right that there will be other means of which to find people to play custom games with, but it's always better to have an in-game option for this.

To me it looks like a forza apex sort of thing. Putting a portion on pc as testing for future iterations that may come. They likely want to open with a bang rather than just a straight up port.

Will this be the one we use? If so a couple days before it comes out a post should be made announcing the official halo forge customs discord channel.
I'm kind of wondering if this release needs a new OT, or if it will just merge with the current Halo 5 Forge OT.

dmix90

Looks good.

God damn it 343......... just port the whole thing!!! It's right there in front of you... looks like you already ported everything but content folder from X1 version. What's the problem? Slap a big red warning message that game is better plays with controller and add matchmaking filters for chosen input method.

Looks good.

God damn it 343......... just port the whole thing!!! It's right there in front of you... looks like you already ported everything but content folder from X1 version. What's the problem? Slap a big red warning message that game is better plays with controller and add matchmaking filters for chosen input method.
The best content is all here, we just need a server browser and/or MM.

Everyone who is currently a forger has been using a controller... We all agree that this app is for forgers... So why wouldn't the dev try to make the transition in controls smooth? That doesn't take a publisher mandate. That's just common sense.

He also mentioned that they needed to "add the depth inherent to KB/m" input. It sounds like 343i recognizes their audience will likely be a mix of console and PC users and designed the controls accordingly.

Yes there is a push to bring Xbox games to PC, but H5, which had been in development since last gen, wasn't designed to readily make that transition. It makes a lot of sense to start with forge and custom games.
edit: AWW SHIT I misread this post

Trup1aya

I'm kind of wondering if this release needs a new OT, or if it will just merge with the current Halo 5 Forge OT.

I think it would be nice if it merged with the current forge OT.

New forgers on PC could link up with old console forgers that way, spreading the wealth.

Arkanius

Watching this in 4K 60 FPS makes me want the Master Chief collection on PC :(
Oh well, wasted opportunity. Let's hope they do this "beta" test right.

Is there splitscreen on the PC version? I know the Xbox one didn't have it because of performance but I'd imagine that wouldnt be an issue on PC

If not maybe someone could mod it

Top Bottom