• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: CE mod SPV3 has finally been completed.

Masterz1337

Neo Member
A Halo fan project in Unreal using some of these ideas, models, animations, etc. would be fantastic btw. ;)

Everything in the mod is open source, although some content is still original from H1 (mostly in terms of animations for characters). We plan on dumping all our content eventually. Organizing it all together is a monumental task on its own. But there is a tool called refinery which can extract the contents of the mod, and then from there that can be imported into 3ds max through a series of other tools out there. Only a select few assets though, have source textures that support PBR.

JoeLT

Everything in the mod is open source, although some content is still original from H1 (mostly in terms of animations for characters). We plan on dumping all our content eventually. Organizing it all together is a monumental task on its own. But there is a tool called refinery which can extract the contents of the mod, and then from there that can be imported into 3ds max through a series of other tools out there. Only a select few assets though, have source textures that support PBR.

Oh wow that's awesome. Those SMG and Shotgun animations are so perfect, also my favourite rendition of ODST's yet. Props to your art team!

I wonder how the single player has aged, tried the online MP a month or so ago and it was complete trash even though I loved it back in the day.

Unlike battlefield 1942 which I tried right after, aged like fine wine and was still insanely fun.

Gonna be honest I thought Halo was amazing back in the day and a few years ago I tried to play Halo CE again and it's brutal. Up until library is fun and then the game gets incredibly tedious and really never seems to recover.

Oh wow that's awesome. Those SMG and Shotgun animations are so perfect, also my favourite rendition of ODST's yet. Props to your art team!

Yeah, the ODST's are really well done. When you choose the stealth loadout before Truth and Reconciliation and they drop in with you, they really add to the atmosphere. Love how they made that level a lot darker and added heavy snowfall, makes VisR really useful their.

--------
Is it just me or are the marines also just more useful than before? It's been a long time since I played through H1 but I remember them being pretty useless for the most part. Now, they seem much more capable and make firefights feel way more engaging.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Is the model interpolation working in this build for multiplayer, and if not, is it possible for anyone else to do it, given the open source nature of the mod?

Masterz1337

Neo Member
Gonna be honest I thought Halo was amazing back in the day and a few years ago I tried to play Halo CE again and it's brutal. Up until library is fun and then the game gets incredibly tedious and really never seems to recover.

As much as I love H1, the second half really hasn't aged as well as the first. It was fun working on the second half, making sure we were able to improve it. What I really love is just how we were able to give it all it's own unique atmosphere, with 2 Betrayals having orange and blue lighting, rather than just blue like in the original, the flood hive that has grown inside the covenant ship, and the whole dead space vibe in Maw. Never mind, just the fact we have 8 different playing flood forms now, and we expanded on the 3 way fights helps make things much more interesting and less tedious.

Yeah, the ODST's are really well done. When you choose the stealth loadout before Truth and Reconciliation and they drop in with you, they really add to the atmosphere. Love how they made that level a lot darker and added heavy snowfall, makes VisR really useful their.

--------
Is it just me or are the marines also just more useful than before? It's been a long time since I played through H1 but I remember them being pretty useless for the most part. Now, they seem much more capable and make firefights feel way more engaging.

Yeah, they are much improved. We tuned some of their firing behavior to be much more aggressive, and messed with some of their shielding and health values so they just didn't get whittled down as much over time, and would more often die if they you just them get continuously shot. They also got a melee attack too, so sometimes you can see them kick grunts to death. The fact they use things like the BR also helps, as they can provide cover from range. In fact, if you keep your BR, DMR, and Sniper marines alive at the end of the tank run on AOTCR, they will snipe at enemies as you fight your way to the top of the pyramid.

I kind of had the idea since we had no co-op, the marines should feel more like co-op buddies than they did before. Even on legendary, there are times where you can be locked in combat with an elite just to see a nearby marine unload his gun into him, taking down his shield, or outright finishing him off when both your shields are down.

The new health system also forces you to keep an eye on what enemies are in the battlefield. If an enemy has a shredder, needler, or focus rifle, you know they can quickly kill your marines faster than say, the grunts with the plasma pistols.

Is the model interpolation working in this build for multiplayer, and if not, is it possible for anyone else to do it, given the open source nature of the mod?

Yeah, you can just go into the controls folder, and move chimera.dll into the controls folder for your regular halo ce install to get 60 FPS on all other maps. It's still being worked on, so I'd expect to experience some oddities. But it's well worth whatever bugs you encounter, as I have yet to see one thats game breaking.

Vespa

Congrats on finishing this! I will have to fish out my old copy and give this ago. Interesting how reminiscent the art style is of Halo 2's in some aspects.

Bar81

I really like what they've done with this but the sound is jacked up for me. It runs fine otherwise, but I have to mute it since the sound is "scratchy" or just freaks out and emits a loud tone. Don't have any audio problems with any other games.

Juan

I just finished AOTCR, I wanted to talk about this mod, but I think I will keep my ideas for a big one when I will be done with the campaign.

So Master, I hope you're ready for a big read! Actually, I would have some questions regarding the problems you faced when adding new geometry to existing levels, but I will keep that for later as well.

From there, all I can is I've been impressed by how well you managed to balance the sandbox with added human & covenant weapons. Every weapons feel usable in a certain manner, which is quite impressive tbh when I felt Bungie always fell off with this aspect.

I just need a valid CD key for SPV3.

Oh yeah, I DM'ed you.

I booted this up and expected to just play around a bit and quit, but I actually ended up playing the entirety of the first level (with the new additions, it's basically 4x longer). It seems pretty great. It feels more like a completely different Halo game instead of just a remix of Halo 1.

My only complaint so far is that it feels a bit too quiet at times. I would have liked to hear more music during some sections in the first level.

fatalexe

Hi Masterz1337, just wanted to say thank you thank you for all the memories. I first started playing Halo PC 11 years ago and was absolutely hooked when I discovered SPv1... I watched Attack of the Show(?) On TV which led me to download Halo Trial using dial up speed, and downloading Halo CE soon after (11 years ago in Malaysia, there wasn't genuine game stores- even consoles are modded versions which is the case in most 3rd world country).

Then CMT'S campaign mod just blew my mind and it took me 2 weeks to download a single map with my 3rd world connection but it was worth every second.

Spv2 was announced and cancelled, and every year I would feel nostalgic to see whether you manage to release spv3 or not. I waited 11 years for this moment and thank you so much.

Big fan

Crispy75

I did some HCE maps back in the day, and this is super super impressive work.

What tools did you use? I remember there was a forever-unreleased editor that promised to be much better than the official tools, that never (?) got a public release. When I lost interest in the scene, single player stuff was barely possible at all...

Masterz1337

Neo Member
I really like what they've done with this but the sound is jacked up for me. It runs fine otherwise, but I have to mute it since the sound is "scratchy" or just freaks out and emits a loud tone. Don't have any audio problems with any other games.

Sounds like something is wrong with the shared sound cache file. If you look inside spv3\maps\data-files you should check and see if the file is complete, it should be roughly 500mb.

Just amazing how well it's doing the first few days.

It's just shy of 40,000 downloads so far, although mediafire is crap and often times their download numbers are delayed by several hours.

I just finished AOTCR, I wanted to talk about this mod, but I think I will keep my ideas for a big one when I will be done with the campaign.

So Master, I hope you're ready for a big read! Actually, I would have some questions regarding the problems you faced when adding new geometry to existing levels, but I will keep that for later as well.

From there, all I can is I've been impressed by how well you managed to balance the sandbox with added human & covenant weapons. Every weapons feel usable in a certain manner, which is quite impressive tbh when I felt Bungie always fell off with this aspect.

Oh yeah, I DM'ed you.

Anytime, the new geometry in all but one instance is "looped" into the existing level. You have the transitions between level geometry, and we have a path that deviates from it and then joins exactly where it began. Think of it sort of like pulling a thread from a sweater. In some areas it deviates from that, but the majority is done that way. You'll notice in POA/maw we change the elevation as to avoid crossing over with the existing geometry and population of objects.

For me, the sandbox has always been the most important things. H1 nailed it, and H2 let me down with it's copy cat covenant weapons, something the series has never really been able to break away from. H2 sort of appealed to the lowest common denominator when it came to how its weapons, making it's covenant weapons just be like human ones, with pretty colors (beam rifle, carbine, fuel rod) and then throwing in things like the sword which don't really lend themselves to as interesting interactions as say, the shotgun (although that was borked in H2 as well, so it would be more in line with the sword).

What I really wanted was to each weapon to change your interactions with different elements in the sandbox. Even thought the particle carbine is basically the BR/DMR/Pistol, the fact it has a bonus towards shields, and heat means your interactions with elites and jackals will change when used compared to the other weapons. This also applies to the DMR, where it's not as capable as other headshot weapons at close range, or the BR where it's bullets don't have as much of an impact on energy shielding, forcing you to re-evaluate your use of grenades and secondary weapons.

I look forward to your more lengthy post in the future.

I booted this up and expected to just play around a bit and quit, but I actually ended up playing the entirety of the first level (with the new additions, it's basically 4x longer). It seems pretty great. It feels more like a completely different Halo game instead of just a remix of Halo 1.

My only complaint so far is that it feels a bit too quiet at times. I would have liked to hear more music during some sections in the first level.

Really neat to hear about people who just get hooked like that. Finding a good balance between it being "just halo 1" and "its own thing" was not an easy thing to figure out, and often just came down to taking certain leaps of faith. There is no way to quantify, or example of how much change is good and how much is bad for us to use as a baseline. In the sandbox, you do have H2 as an example (in our eyes) of going to far, bit not when it comes to the levels themselves. If that makes any sense.

Hi Masterz1337, just wanted to say thank you thank you for all the memories. I first started playing Halo PC 11 years ago and was absolutely hooked when I discovered SPv1... I watched Attack of the Show(?) On TV which led me to download Halo Trial using dial up speed, and downloading Halo CE soon after (11 years ago in Malaysia, there wasn't genuine game stores- even consoles are modded versions which is the case in most 3rd world country).

Then CMT'S campaign mod just blew my mind and it took me 2 weeks to download a single map with my 3rd world connection but it was worth every second.

Spv2 was announced and cancelled, and every year I would feel nostalgic to see whether you manage to release spv3 or not. I waited 11 years for this moment and thank you so much.

Big fan

Thanks for sticking by all these years, SPV1 is interesting to look back on, because even though it was a 6 months "OMG WOULDN'T THIS BE COOL?!?!" project there is still very much of the DNA of it in SPV3, Hopefully this release will occupy as much of your time as the previous ones, there is so much stuff in it including the skulls and terminals to find.

You also might want to check out the actual SPV2 betas we released not to long ago, after the project was cancelled some of the maps uploaded around the web were actually fakes, and not really what we were working on. I only found out about the extent of it earlier this year.

I did some HCE maps back in the day, and this is super super impressive work.

What tools did you use? I remember there was a forever-unreleased editor that promised to be much better than the official tools, that never (?) got a public release. When I lost interest in the scene, single player stuff was barely possible at all...

Oh wow!!! I loved fissure fall! You must have been around just before my time. The unreleased editor which was Prometheus, never came out but the source code to it was released a few months ago.

We just use modified versions of the tools that Gearbox released, with additions for the Open Sauce engine add-ons. The other tools are relatively minor things, mainly for tag extraction from the original game, a halo script post processor, notepad++ with a halo script editor plugin, 3ds max, photoshop and your standard 3d art tools. You'd probably be shocked to see just how much functionality those original tools contained. I'd say with the knowledge we have now, about 85% of what you see in this mod could have been accomplished back in your days when you were working on fissurefall.

Crispy75

Oh wow!!! I loved fissure fall! You must have been around just before my time. The unreleased editor which was Prometheus, never came out but the source code to it was released a few months ago.

We just use modified versions of the tools that Gearbox released, with additions for the Open Sauce engine add-ons. The other tools are relatively minor things, mainly for tag extraction from the original game, a halo script post processor, notepad++ with a halo script editor plugin, 3ds max, photoshop and your standard 3d art tools. You'd probably be shocked to see just how much functionality those original tools contained. I'd say with the knowledge we have now, about 85% of what you see in this mod could have been accomplished back in your days when you were working on fissurefall.

Thanks :) There was a frustrating lack of transparency at the time IIRC, with a handful of people holding all the knowledge about how the game worked close to their chests, so that their own releases could have "exclusive" features. There was a motley crew of us trying to put together a SP campaign based on Fall of Reach, but without that crucial knowledge, we were in "concept art hell" :D

And yeah, the Gearbox tools were obviously the full-fat development tools, just lacking (nearly all) the resource files for building SP maps. If I could magic some spare time up from somewhere, I'd love to have a play around with it again.

Juan

It’s times like this I wish I didn’t have a Mac

Why don't you use BootCamp and install Windows alongside Mac OS? I'm on a MacBook Pro 13" and that's what I did, it's working really well. :)

Shit and now ElDewrito is getting their update. What a great year for Halo Fan Games/Mods

I saw that yesterday, I was blown away by everything they achieved, especially for the Forge. Really really impressive!

Holy shit, this looks amazing. Time to dig out my Halo CE disc!

Since this is single player only, no real need to worry about finding my key if the old trick still works.

Bar81

Sounds like something is wrong with the shared sound cache file. If you look inside spv3\maps\data-files you should check and see if the file is complete, it should be roughly 500mb.

Yeah, it's just over that, about 530MB. I'll try to redownload, maybe it was corrupted.

GavinUK86

Well shit. I got rid of all my PC Halo stuff last year after I got the XBO collection. Where the hell do you get a valid key nowadays?!?

Juan

Well shit. I got rid of all my PC Halo stuff last year after I got the XBO collection. Where the hell do you get a valid key nowadays?!?

DM'ed you. :)

For everyone reading this, a Halo CE PC key can be used an unlimited amount of times, no restriction.

Vespa

There's so much amazing work that I had no idea about, there's proper analog movement for pads now? so cool! The interpolation thing is amazing too.

Would be cool if they added the mission from The Flood about how they stormed the autumn with all the tanks. That shit was epic, and the kind of huge battle I always missed in the franchise.

It's just shy of 40,000 downloads so far, although mediafire is crap and often times their download numbers are delayed by several hours.

I hope someone tells Microsoft this. There's a huge thirst for Halo on PC which they either ignore or try and fob us off with Spartan assault.

This is an amazing mod tho excellent work man. Personally I don't think CE has aged too well, pretty much everything from AOTCR onwards is awful, but this mod makes it way more enjoyable. Love the new weapons. I just wish the melee worked like it does in H3

GavinUK86

DM'ed you. :)

For everyone reading this, a Halo CE PC key can be used an unlimited amount of times, no restriction.

200.webp

update: The game has really crackly/popping audio. Anyone else getting this?

Juan

OMG, Two Betrayals is the most unfun I ever had in a Halo game... And I'm just playing on normal. I mean, this level and the additions made on SPV3 aren't challenging, there are just not fun at all, even less fun than what Bungie achieved with the original game. Covenants with hitscan weapons, Brutes, Wraith that may have seem to have different behaviors from the original game... I'm not sure I want to continue this level (I am on the second pulse generator).

I even had more fun during The Library, which was surprisingly good and well balanced!

Just needed to share this as I'm about to give up right now haha.

I installed and started playing last night, but as a controller user, is there any way to make the menus a little more controller friendly? None of the buttons register in the menus so I basically have to be sitting in front of my keyboard to select anything. This is especially frustrating during actual gameplay as I can't revert to the last checkpoint if I want to try a different strategy (or what I habitually do when i die so I don't have to sit through the death animation).

Using an Xbox One controller, if that makes a difference.

Top Bottom