• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Master Chief Collection Master Thread | This is it, baby. Hold me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jem0208

What was so wrong about Halo 4's? It looked absolutely amazing.

I liked every art direction that was taken except for Halo 3's. I would be very soured by another Halo 3 experience. Pull from any of the others and i'll be happy.

Don't you know that there is not a single aspect of Halo 4 that is even slightly good? Every single part of the game is completely and utterly abysmal.

Don't you know that there is not a single aspect of Halo 4 that is even slightly good? Every single part of the game is completely and utterly abysmal.

Halo 4 wasn't bad. The problem is that they led with bad game types. Infinity Slayer wasn't what fans of the series wanted but if you took the maps they had and made standard slayer variants with weapon spawns and all that, you'd have a very good Halo game.

And here I was thinking that I actually enjoyed a fair amount of Halo 4. I've been so naive.

I was playing Reach a few weeks ago (girlfriend and I are doing a runthrough the whole series since she had never played but wanted to) and I was really admiring the graphics style. While Halo 4 is for the most part very visually impressive for its hardware, there are things Reach did better.

The one that sticks out to me the most is visors. Reach visors look shiny and real while 4 visors look flat and cartoony, almost like a solid color sometimes. In Halo 4 cutscenes, the hard surfaces of the armors are unbeatable, but in gameplay they look similarly flat and cartoony when compared to Reach.

I do love all the new detail and complexity of the Halo 4 models, though.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Halo 4 wasn't bad. The problem is that they led with bad game types. Infinity Slayer wasn't what fans of the series wanted but if you took the maps they had and made standard slayer variants with weapon spawns and all that, you'd have a very good Halo game.
The only good maps in the game are Haven, Monolith, Skyline, and Pitfall. Three of those are DLC maps. There are a few good Forge maps, too, especially Simplex and that one doubles map who's name is evading me right now.

And my agreement with your statement really depends on what you mean by "standard slayer". Would you still have load outs? Armor abilities? Instant spawns? Sprint? Even if you removed all those things, you'd still have ridiculously easy aim assist / magnetism and, like I said above, bad maps.

Halo 4 really was a turd, and it takes a lot of polishing to make it a good Halo.

But the cost was too high, imo. The scale, the explosions, glass walls everywhere, low res skyboxes.

Weapon drops despawning after seconds so legendary was harder then it should have been, never did beat many levels in halo 4 on legendary because of it.

Please fix this for the xbox one version, I beg you.

Caayn

Weapon drops despawning after seconds so legendary was harder then it should have been, never did beat many levels in halo 4 on legendary because of it.

Please fix this for the xbox one version, I beg you.
If I'm correct a 343i member once said that they did it on purpose to prevent an abundance of power weapons on a map, which is funny because they added OD which caused exactly that. Which shouldn't be a problem at all in singleplayer/SPOPS and yet it wasn't any different there.

But instead of just admitting that it was a hardware limitation they came up with that excuse.

Weapons despawn timers really need to be upped by a lot.

The only good maps in the game are Haven, Monolith, Skyline, and Pitfall. Three of those are DLC maps. There are a few good Forge maps, too, especially Simplex and that one doubles map who's name is evading me right now.

And my agreement with your statement really depends on what you mean by "standard slayer". Would you still have load outs? Armor abilities? Instant spawns? Sprint? Even if you removed all those things, you'd still have ridiculously easy aim assist / magnetism and, like I said above, bad maps.

Halo 4 really was a turd, and it takes a lot of polishing to make it a good Halo.

Standard Slayer = Take Halo 3 rules to spawns, vehicles, load outs, etc. and apply them here. The only problem with that is without the sprint, the distances between cover would be too large, so that would still have to be in the game.

I think the Armor Abilities could have been really cool if they were power ups that could be picked up on a map and they had limited uses. However, I feel that Reach and 4 poisoned the well for that.

I liked Haven, Exile, Complex, Adrift, and Ragnarok. Those all came on the disc.

jem0208

And here I was thinking that I actually enjoyed a fair amount of Halo 4. I've been so naive.

I was playing Reach a few weeks ago (girlfriend and I are doing a runthrough the whole series since she had never played but wanted to) and I was really admiring the graphics style. While Halo 4 is for the most part very visually impressive for its hardware, there are things Reach did better.

The one that sticks out to me the most is visors. Reach visors look shiny and real while 4 visors look flat and cartoony, almost like a solid color sometimes. In Halo 4 cutscenes, the hard surfaces of the armors are unbeatable, but in gameplay they look similarly flat and cartoony when compared to Reach.

I do love all the new detail and complexity of the Halo 4 models, though.

My previous post was completely sarcastic btw. I actually love 4.

In regards to the aesthetics, I absolutely adore how they made it look like you were actually in the chief's helmet. The way the hid moved around and how you could see the corners of his armour and how the light changed as you moved around. I thought it was beautiful.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Standard Slayer = Take Halo 3 rules to spawns, vehicles, load outs, etc. and apply them here. The only problem with that is without the sprint, the distances between cover would be too large, so that would still have to be in the game.

I think the Armor Abilities could have been really cool if they were power ups that could be picked up on a map and they had limited uses. However, I feel that Reach and 4 poisoned the well for that.
Sounds good to me. Though I'd argue that increasing movement speed is preferable to sprint. I think Halo 4 really nailed the vehicles. Except the Mantis is pretty boring, and they threw too many vehicles (or heavy vehicles) on maps sometimes.

This is the thing I'm most curious about too. Would love to see some representative footage of Halo 3 campaign and multi.

I can wait though. November is still a long, long ways off, at least for those not literally working on it ;p

If we take the gold disc certification as 6 weeks before Nov 11 we're at the end of September or start of October to have the game finalised.

Solidsoul

Banned
My previous post was completely sarcastic btw. I actually love 4.

In regards to the aesthetics, I absolutely adore how they made it look like you were actually in the chief's helmet. The way the hid moved around and how you could see the corners of his armour and how the light changed as you moved around. I thought it was beautiful.

I love how everyone took you seriously lol.

I really wish we could talk more about the campaigns/stories/characters. All people want to do in this thread is talk about what sucked in multiplayer. I've always been interested in Halo for its story.

I'm aware of the Halo Lore thread, but it doesn't get the traffic this one does.

I love how everyone took you seriously lol.

I really wish we could talk more about the campaigns/stories/characters. All people want to do in this thread is talk about what sucked in multiplayer. I've always been interested in Halo for its story.

I'm aware of the Halo Lore thread, but it doesn't get the traffic this one does.
Youre interested in the games because of the lore that is never the focused on/shown off in them save for the object mentioned in its title?

I've never understood this honestly. Halo's lore is amazing, but the games have rarely done them remotely any justice besides some basics of it here and there; So out of all the other stuff the games offer, thats why love them the most?
Idontgetit.

I think Halo 3 and Reach are the best looking games in terms of art direction.

I like the simple low poly- design of Halo 3s MC compared to 4. One of the things that they talked a lot about in Halo 4 was how much more detail they could put on Chief in 4, but IMO it looked weird.

Solidsoul

Banned
Youre interested in the games because of the lore that is never the focused on/shown off in them save for the object mentioned in its title?

I've never understood this honestly. Halo's lore is amazing, but the games have rarely done them remotely any justice besides some basics of it here and there; So out of all the other stuff the games offer, thats why love them the most?
Idontgetit.

There is more lore outside of the games I will give you that.

But there are still characters, locations, species, religions, weapons, ships, relationships, missions and overall important story missions that make it very exciting.

I don't really care for multiplayer personally. It's the campaign that keeps me around. I do play multiplayer, but it's just not my bag. That goes for multiplayer in general, if I had to pick the best multiplayer i'd definitely say Halo.

wwm0nkey

no. FOV should be consistent with the 4500 games I played. Don't mess with something and change how the game is played.

Dude, what is wrong with being able to see more of the game? Like how is that a bad thing?

Lets make Halo 2 480p using the same logic!

Original:
j5Hkbp5OlHRbx.jpg

Higher FOV:
jQnI7vNfIHuhQ.jpg

What is wrong with this??

Overdoziz

Banned
The silence over the FoV is worrying.
Frankie, please don't like people play first person games with a <90 FoV in twothousandandfourteen.

I suppose the answer to this question won't truly be known until the game releases, but if I were to get rid of my Xbox/Xbox 360 copies of Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo 4 in favor of this collection, would I be missing any content?

FyreWulff

Playing Halo 3 now is like looking through a cardbox box at the playfield.

I'd assume an FOV increase would be damn near automatic.

wwm0nkey

No, it's a separate thing. I'd also like for them to increase to 90 at a minimum, or at least give the option of choosing or enable a slider. I get motion sickness with too low a fov.

I know a lot of people who can only play Halo and other FPS games in very short bursts because the FOV makes them sick.

darthbob

I suppose the answer to this question won't truly be known until the game releases, but if I were to get rid of my Xbox/Xbox 360 copies of Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo 4 in favor of this collection, would I be missing any content?

You'd lose the Game Demos
or Halo 2 videos if you have a cool kids copy
option in the menu from Halo CE.

rokkerkory

No, it's a separate thing. I'd also like for them to increase to 90 at a minimum, or at least give the option of choosing or enable a slider. I get motion sickness with too low a fov.

Completely different and they're not linked, though like increasing the resolution it does come with a performance hit, since you have to draw more at once.

I see, thnx for clarifying.

What do you mean by 90?

All MP maps, including DLC will be there. I'm assuming extra stuff won't be included like concept art or something like that, but I could be wrong.

madmook

What do you mean by 90?
A field of view setting of 90 degrees generally alleviates problems for people who get motion sickness with low FOVs.

In the 360/PS3 gen lots of shooters used low fovs for performance reasons. They would use like 65, 70 or 75, significantly less than 90.

gfx is amazing tho

in what manner? yes, it was better than any halo to date, but bungie never took any priority to maximize the power of the console. bungie on the xbox and 360 obviously were not familiar with textures at all. 343 was, but made a sub par halo game. this was bungies baby, and 343 couldn't replicate. not that anyone could.

Mabef

Banned
I imagine this has been answered somewhere, but I haven't been paying close attention to all this prerelease stuff (and I didn't see it in the OP).

Will old H3/Reach/H4 forge maps be compatible with this? The OP mentioned something about fixing old forge bugs...
Will I need to save/quit for floating objects in H3? End Round to merge pieces together? All that glorious jazz?

Honestly, I might prefer superior H3 tools over backwards compatibility. If I had to choose.

any word on if the MCC will be matchmaking again or can we finally rent our own Dedis this time? (eg like BF3/BF4 does it)
while matchmaking is nice for some half equally skilled games, playing cross-continential a lot of times just because the matchmaking system puts skill over local region aint that nice

besides that i prefer to play my own maps and mods rather than what the vote system offers
kicking/banning players from other continents is also a great plus to have

I imagine this has been answered somewhere, but I haven't been paying close attention to all this prerelease stuff (and I didn't see it in the OP).

Will old H3/Reach/H4 forge maps be compatible with this? The OP mentioned something about fixing old forge bugs...
Will I need to save/quit for floating objects in H3? End Round to merge pieces together? All that glorious jazz?

Honestly, I might prefer superior H3 tools over backwards compatibility. If I had to choose.

No importing old forge maps. I don't think they've really gone into detail about Forge yet; I'd expect more at SDCC or Gamescom.

any word on if the MCC will be matchmaking again or can we finally rent our own Dedis this time? (eg like BF3/BF4 does it)
while matchmaking is nice for some half equally skilled games, playing cross-continential a lot of times just because the matchmaking system puts skill over local region aint that nice

besides that i prefer to play my own maps and mods rather than what the vote system offers
kicking/banning players from other continents is also a great plus to have

I really doubt they'll do server rentals, but there's been some speculation about a custom games browser.

HTupolev

What do you mean by 90?
When people give a number, it typically refers to the horizontal sweep of vision in degrees.

Refer to my extraordinarily polished demonstration image:

xSBQN0B.png

In the 360/PS3 gen lots of shooters used low fovs for performance reasons. They would use like 65, 70 or 75, significantly less than 90.
Sort of, sometimes. You can often couple an increased view with decreased per-object complexity (i.e. how LOD in general works). A lot of the time I suspect it actually is intentional for artistic/gameplay reasons, even if I agree they usually choose values far too low.

IIRC, it was Jamie Griesemer who explained that Halo 1's choice of 70 degrees was chosen partly because in a 4:3 480-line game, a smaller FoV helped to see things. Of course, these days, 70 degrees isn't considered low for FoV in a console shooter's 4:3 mode, and the reasoning doesn't explain why CE's 2p split-screen view has a MASSIVE FoV for a tiny 240-line window; the scale of things in that view is halved on each axis compared with SP.

Sounds good to me. Though I'd argue that increasing movement speed is preferable to sprint. I think Halo 4 really nailed the vehicles. Except the Mantis is pretty boring, and they threw too many vehicles (or heavy vehicles) on maps sometimes.

The Halo 4 maps were completely designed around sprint. Without it, a good player would run out of ammo killing people with a DMR. The time to run between cover in Ragnarok is probably 50 percent longer that it was in Vahalla. Increasing run speed that much would also make Halo 4 not feel like Halo. It's a catch 22 IMO.

Crossposting from this thread.

Halo 5 in game leaked screens

Halo__The_Warthog_by_hidaihazo12.jpg

Defo a major bullshot here but mounts confirmed?
Perhaps pre order bonus.

h_cd___payge_3_by_halo_yokoshima-d4dym5e.jpg

Pre rendered cut scene and may confirm a new romance arc.

Halo_Grunt_by_Landauart.jpg

Yet another bullshot but the grunts are coming along nicely.

halo__sonic_and_metal_slug_together_by_duaine13-d5c0ax2.png

Finally, an amazingly impressive in game panorama of one section of the story mode. But is most likely running on a high end PC at the moment, don't expect the IQ to look that nice once optimization for the Bone happens.

Stinkles, any comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom