• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Master Chief Collection Master Thread | This is it, baby. Hold me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait.. so if multiplayer ranking system is the same, then some jackass trying to de-level can still come in and jack it up for the team by killing himself.

Man, that got so annoying towards the ends of halo 2's online life.

Hardly a deal breaker, but just remembered how aggravating that was.

Wait.. so if multiplayer ranking system is the same, then some jackass trying to de-level can still come in and jack it up for the team by killing himself.

I remember something similar in Halo 3 where people had high levels but 0 exp/recruit status and low number of games played. If you had the misfortune of having one on your team in the pre-game lobby, you knew the game would start with 7 players and the other team would always vote for objective game-types.

Akai__

I remember something similar in Halo 3 where people had high levels but 0 exp/recruit status and low number of games played. If you had the misfortune of having one on your team in the pre-game lobby, you knew the game would start with 7 players and the other team would always vote for objective game-types.

Here is hoping, that 343i does something, to prevent that. Before Halo 4 launched, there was an interview with Major Nelson and they made it clear, that Halo 4 will not feature ranks, because "we know what happened". Instead of doing something against those cheating people, yes it is indeed cheating, everyone was being punished by having to play against total noobs or a team of 4 people, which destroyed the shit out of you. No competition, whatsoever.
I know, that we got a ranking system in Halo 4, but that wasn't doing anything.

Every game, especially if you can rank up in that game, should come with a anti cheat or report player feature/system, that is not tied to the "Report player to Xbox Live" system. How hard can it possibly be?

Just kick people, who are standing still, jumping or are doing betrayals and/or suicides.

343i please.

Homeboyd

Here is hoping, that 343i does something, to prevent that. Before Halo 4 launched, there was an interview with Major Nelson and they made it clear, that Halo 4 will not feature ranks, because "we know what happened". Instead of doing something against those cheating people, yes it is indeed cheating, everyone was being punished by having to play against total noobs or a team of 4 people, which destroyed the shit out of you. No competition, whatsoever.
I know, that we got a ranking system in Halo 4, but that wasn't doing anything.

Every game, especially if you can rank up in that game, should come with a anti cheat or report player feature/system, that is not tied to the "Report player to Xbox Live" system. How hard can it possibly be?

Just kick people, who are standing still, jumping or are doing betrayals and/or suicides.

343i please.
Pull that comma key right off your keyboard. Do it now Croatia!

GavinGT

Banned
One of the things I really liked about Halo 4 was how it dealt with dropped players by adding in new ones mid-game. They should do the same here, only if you join mid-game then it won't count toward your ranking.

One of the things I really liked about Halo 4 was how it dealt with dropped players by adding in new ones mid-game. They should do the same here, only if you join mid-game then it won't count toward your ranking.

ice_cube_wtf_gqvqs30u.gif

Homeboyd

I'm going to side with Gavin for the sole reason all of you are against him. Literally no other reason.

Yeah. Take that you jerks.

I just bit the bullet and bought a subscription to live. Having an Xbox one without ForzaGAF, SOgaf, and haloGAF seemed so wrong. Is there a good way to find people on GAF to add to my friends list?

there will probably be a good thread for Gaffers to exchange gamertags during the Halo MCC release.

I made a thread specifically for looking for friends for Halo: MCC (both for online lobbies AND local LAN parties).

Halo:MCC Gamertag Exchange and LAN Party Thread

I asked the thread creator here to link it in the OP but he elected not to do so.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
The extreme aversion to join in progress is weird to me considering how many games were ruined by quitters on the previous Halos.

furious

Banned

Looking at the behavior of players within the context of JIP, it was pretty bad.

The amount of people that Joined-In-Progress AND then quit the game before the end was a disgustingly high amount.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
The extreme aversion to join in progress is weird to me considering how many games were ruined by quitters on the previous Halos.

that was certainly problematic as well. if they get rid of JiP moving forward (they should) there needs to be much stiffer punishments for AFKs and quitters.

Bsigg12

Join in progress has its place. I would be OK with it as long as it's not available in any ranked playlist. Social playlists can have it to keep the games full since they won't have any rank.

The problem with JiP is that it takes a game that is already very likely lost, and stretches it out longer than necessary.

If I'm going to lose a game because of a quitter/AFKer, I'd rather just get it over with.

The other problem with JiP is if you're searching for a game on your own, you constantly get thrown into games on the losing team's side to take a quitter's place. It makes searching playlists without a group of at least 2 or 3 friends an exercise in sheer frustration.

The other problem with JiP is.... well, you get the point. It causes more problems than it solves.

Overdoziz

Banned
Casual playlists:
- No ranks
- Don't record stats
- Join in progress
- No penalty for quitting out
- No pre-game lobby
- No trueskill matching

Competitive playlists:
- Ranks
- Record stats
- Only join matches in progress that you quit out of
- Instant time-out penalty for quitting out
- Pre-game lobby
- Trueskill matching

Fuchsdh

Ricochet was my favorite part of halo 4.

Indeed, while I personally think there were a lot of good tweaks 343 made to classic lists, Ricochet was definitely a standout gametype I hope makes its way into Halo 5 and beyond. Especially since it's good enough for CoD to copy it :)

Bsigg12

Casual playlists:
- Don't record stats
- Join in progress
- No pre-game lobby
- No trueskill matching

Ranked playlists:
- Record stats
- Pre-game lobby
- Trueskill matching

I think trueskill matching is necessary for casual playlists because I would rather have equal competition than extremes for uber casual players and highly skilled players. Also, stats will be recorded for casual games. It's just how it's always been.

Overdoziz

Banned
I think trueskill matching is necessary for casual playlists because I would rather have equal competition than extremes for uber casual players and highly skilled players. Also, stats will be recorded for casual games. It's just how it's always been.
I feel like they should just go to both extremes. Most playlists Halo have always been in this weird limbo in between casual and competitive. This would make a much clearer distinction. Want to play for shits and giggles? Play casual where nothing really matters. Want to play to win? Play competitive where rank is everything. I think it would result in less matches where people of both sides are mixed up.

furious

Banned
I feel like they should just go to both extremes. Most playlists Halo have always been in this weird limbo in between casual and competitive. This would make a much clearer distinction. Want to play for shits and giggles? Play casual where nothing really matters. Want to play to win? Play competitive where rank is everything. I think it would result in less matches where people of both sides are mixed up.

There shouldn't be any playlist where winning isn't the primary goal. TrueSkill in casual means closer matches, there is no downside.

JackHerer

Join in progress has its place. I would be OK with it as long as it's not available in any ranked playlist. Social playlists can have it to keep the games full since they won't have any rank.

This. JIP can be great when I just wanna get into games as fast as possible and play without interruptions and garbage matches. It's perfect for social playlists. 343 fixed a lot of issues with it by more carefully controlling when a match is still open for JIP.

On the other hand, it's absolutely awful for competitive play. To deal with quitters in competitive playlists they should institute an immediate 10 minute ban from ranked playlists (and only ranked) for quitter. People will quickly learn not to quit or they will stick to social playlists where there is JIP.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
join in progress is irritating as hell.

I mean from the perspective of playing the game itself... cool you get someone to fill that empty hole

but when you join a game already in progress, it's not fun in any way

the other team usually has the power weapons and established dominant map positioning and control

the game is already lopsided in the favor of the other team... it's not like it's counter-strike where you are essentially playing endless rounds... nobody cares about the team scores.

the team you are playing with probably sucks

it just isn't fun

the negatives far outweigh the positives.

GavinGT

Banned
I just remember the Halo 3 days, when it seemed like the majority of games involved someone dropping out right at the start or within the first few minutes. That shit sucked.

I played tons of Halo 4 and never saw any downside to join-in-progress. Playing alone, you could just stick with the same group and never have to worry about joining a game in progress.

Social = JiP, quitting allowed with light punishment levels.
Ranked = no JiP, extreme quitting punishment levels (hell I'd take quit out of ranked all together).

Toggle at the player and party leader levels to turn off/on when searching.

BajiRav

Please. NO! As someone who mostly plays alone, that ruined my game experience.

slapnuts

What a freaking awesome collection of games packed into one serving of Godness. Man these are the times i wish i owned a X1. I am a jealous PS4 and PC owner, i must admit

I'm still waiting for the loner play list where you can only queue by yourself and get put into full teams of other loners. Probably sounds like I'm joking but I'm not.

Cannot wait to pick up a Xbox One in roughly 10 months. Friday morning our ship pulls out for a 10 month deployment and that starts the countdown clock until Halo MCC.

I'll attempt to logon GAF to read all of your opinions on the game.

Casual playlists:
- No ranks
- Don't record stats
- Join in progress
- No pre-game lobby
- No trueskill matching

Competitive playlists:
- Ranks
- Record stats
- Pre-game lobby
- Trueskill matching

great list there, two separated playlists with those features would be glorious!

Yeah but the problem is you'd have full teams of highly skilled players going into casual for 'shits and giggles' to wreck the shit out of random pugs.

While some people might not be trying to be competitive, they still don't want to just bend over sans lube in the casual playlist every match.

Cannot wait to pick up a Xbox One in roughly 10 months. Friday morning our ship pulls out for a 10 month deployment and that starts the countdown clock until Halo MCC.

I'll attempt to logon GAF to read all of your opinions on the game.

Ouch man that's rough. Horrible time for a 10-month deployment. Tell them to postpone until December! Godspeed man.

Yeah but the problem is you'd have full teams of highly skilled players going into casual for 'shits and giggles' to wreck the shit out of random pugs.

While some people might not be trying to be competitive, they still don't want to just bend over sans lube in the casual playlist every match.

In addition to "shits and giggles" Halo 3 also showed us social is where players go to gather a party or warm up before entering ranked. Trueskill has to be in social too. Party, latency and Trueskill matching should have less strict filters for social.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom