• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

20ozSlayer

Neo Member
After reading the convo on Twitter, how I understand it's full screen only when connected to their servers. So maybe I can play offline with my son split screen

Madness

After reading the convo on Twitter, how I understand it's full screen only when connected to their servers. So maybe I can play offline with my son split screen

See that's what I wrote and thought too, but then I distinctly remember them saying that all customs ran on dedicated servers as well. And then you have the pre-order only showing 1-1 players Xbox one, but 2-24 with Xbox Live.

danwarb

I only know how to complain.

What I do like is the story focus. The Halo games skimp on story and rely on other mediums to expand the universe and characters.

The Spartan Ops videos and the great opening FMV to Halo 4 were more like it. 5 seems good in this way too.

I only know how to complain.

What I do like is the story focus. The Halo games skimp on story and rely on other mediums to expand the universe and characters.

The Spartan Ops videos and the great opening FMV to Halo 4 were more like it. 5 seems good in this way too.

Yes! The focus on the story, that we've seen so far, looks great. If the Hunt the Truth series is anything to go by, I think we're in for a hell of a ride.

Captain Friendo

Neo Member
343i are good universe expanders.
H4: FuD, the new novels and the Fall of Reach animated series coming with Halo 5 Limited that will give the unfamiliar a background of Blue Team are some more examples of this.

Madness

I wonder if Moa was seeing the discussion we were having in the thread here. He posted the tweet and similar stuff on r/Halo about an hour ago... Oh well, more awareness means we'll at least get a definitive answer soon.

FyreWulff

Stinkles, will Halo 5 have System link/LAN?

Unless 343 allows people to run a Windows PC or another Xbox One as a dedicated server in between all of the Xbox Ones you wish to play with, no.

Any "LAN" will just be all of your boxes connecting to Live anyway to play with each other.

Reason: generally if you design a game around not having the server reside on one of the clients in the session, the client does not have leftover horsepower to also run as a server for LAN. If peer to peer existed on LAN, then it'd exist on Live too.

It's based off the novel?

I wonder if they'll shoehorn the Reach retcons in there. I know they were officially 'explained' to fit, but it still ruined things.

Stinkles said there'll be very minimal use of dates so that it doesn't tangle some things, but it's primarily based off of the novel's guide posts.

Edit:

Animated series is pretty literal adaptation of the book, with a few necessary changes for the medium (we make a big covenant ship a bigger class for dramatic effect) and for a couple of small logic fines (some numbers that don't stand up to proper scrutiny) but we basically don't deal with dates a lot so it won't grate every time you see a caption.

And it's slightly condensed scenewise. Including the PoA stuff.

We'll probably say a bit more at comic con.

The novel was absolutely fantastic and I think Poodlestrike has a shrine for it in his house somewhere. :p

Captain Friendo

Neo Member
I wonder if they'll shoehorn the Reach retcons in there. I know they were officially 'explained' to fit, but it still ruined things.
Frank said here it's a straight up adaptation of the book.

And honestly to me at least, between the journal and then the data drops the reach stories fit together pretty constructively now.

Not happy about this at all. My 8 year old son begs me to play halo with him all the time. One of my favorite things about halo is I can have a great time killing aliens alongside my son. 343 has taken this from me.

This is some YouTube comment-level stuff. 343 killing traditional family values confirmed

It's based off the novel?

lmao

Unless 343 allows people to run a Windows PC or another Xbox One as a dedicated server in between all of the Xbox Ones you wish to play with, no.

Any "LAN" will just be all of your boxes connecting to Live anyway to play with each other.

Reason: generally if you design a game around not having the server reside on one of the clients in the session, the client does not have leftover horsepower to also run as a server for LAN. If peer to peer existed on LAN, then it'd exist on Live too.

I'd be fine with needing an extra Xbox One to act as a server for LAN.

Will dropped items disappear right away like in Halo 4, or will they stick around like they did in all the other Halo games?

That was one of the worst things about the Halo 4 campaign.

I think that had something to do with the orbital drop ordnance system or something.

Another stupid idea though. One of the great things about prior Halo campaigns was you had all those options to utilize in the sandbox. I'll drop this battle rifle for this sniper, use it up, come back and get the BR or whatever. Now you drop that shit, as soon as the sniper is out, you're forced to use one of those weak weedy promethean weapons, trying to shoot Crawlers as they're pinging you from a mile away and you're wondering what went wrong with your favorite franchise.

-Ryn

Banned
MhwlDHg.jpg

Here's the tweet just in case. The original tweet was a picture of the pre-order just showing 1 player for Halo 5. Who knows. I mean campaign it's one thing where guests may not want to get into campaign, but sometimes people just want to play team slayer or BTB with friends who are over. On the one hand, would be great not to be partnered with 1 guy and his first time guest or something who usually drop neg bombs, but on the other, I can see quite a lot of people upset because local MP has been huge since CE. Then again, maybe they have data that shows split screen players were becoming a minority with MCC or Halo 5 beta data.
anigif_enhanced-17983-1414502722-13.gif

Didn't they say during the beta that there WOULD be split screen in the full game?

Omni

I think it's the"ruined".
Well... hmm. IMO, changing the battle of Reach to a month long drawn-out 'event' that was somehow kept a secret from the Spartans and most people(?) on the planet just ruined the epic and sudden onslaught that was described in the book.

FoR certainly isn't the pinnacle of story telling. But it was decent enough and Reach came along and shat all over it.

This is some YouTube comment-level stuff. 343 killing traditional family values confirmed

343's belligerent handling of the Halo franchise led to my divorce, caused my pregnant dog to die whilst giving birth and encouraged a hawk to swoop in and kill the puppies that survived.

I don't get the lmao

why the lmao?

I think it's the"ruined".

The Reach game was a bull in a china shop when it came to canonical consistency and 343 did what they could at the time to make the game and the novel work together in the same universe. There were still some fairly obvious misalignments, but it was serviceable.

With the animated series mirroring the novel, looks like the game will be taking a back seat, which is fine... The book is superior and was loaded with all sorts of great lore bits that got dropped or ignored in the game.

Madness

Again, the games are the primary medium for Halo. FoR was written almost a decade before by someone MS had hired. No way was Bungie going to shoehorn themselves into what the book established, as opposed to the story they wanted to tell in the game they're making for the series they created.

m23

What does Rod Fergusson mean when he says Gears will support lan?

Well... hmm. IMO, changing the battle of Reach to a month long drawn-out 'event' that was somehow kept a secret from the Spartans and most people(?) on the planet just ruined the epic and sudden onslaught that was described in the book.

FoR certainly isn't the pinnacle of story telling. But it was decent enough and Reach came along and shat all over it.

The fact that you have to punctuate literally every criticism of it with "ruined" or "shat all over it" just comes across as ridiculous, for one. Bungie is a company made of human humans that do human things such as occasionally wanting to make changes to their narrative, in particular to better fit a playable game. It's unrealistic to assume every single encounter in FoR could have been properly implemented in a playable state on the 360. Not to mention that some point between the Cortana Letters and CE's release Bungie lost the original Halo story arc in full, which is probably what prompted creating something more defensible - the Story Bible.

343 gets blame for UNSC power creep - rightfully so - but Bungie did this to a lesser degree and had to accommodate accordingly. FoR was made before the advent of smorgasbords of super-powered prototypes outside of the Pillar of Autumn, and it's a logical jump from days to a month considering the UNSC was running all of these covert missions with Spartan-IIIs in addition to IIs.

I think Halsey's Journal really does all it needs to in terms of rectifying things, and it would make sense that Reach - the penultimate bastion of humanity at the height of its military power pre-343 - would have a more drawn-out struggle than a few days. Granted, FoR covers the first few days where they were understandably blindsided, but the final throes of the planet in an attempted turnaround no doubt lasted a few more weeks.

The Reach game was a bull in a china shop when it came to canonical consistency and 343 did what they could at the time to make the game and the novel work together in the same universe. There were still some fairly obvious misalignments, but it was serviceable.

With the animated series mirroring the novel, looks like the game will be taking a back seat, which is fine... The book is superior and was loaded with all sorts of great lore bits that got dropped or ignored in the game.

You know Bungie made Reach, right?

You know Bungie made Reach, right?

Yes. They were in charge for the novel and the game... And the game was more or less a messy retcon.

Edit: I meant to say that 343 has sort of carried both along so far in regards to which one was more factual- looks like they are declaring that the novel is the one to consider closest to canon.

I didn't mean to say 343 made Reach.. I can see how my comment was worded oddly though haha

Yes. They were in charge for the novel and the game... And the game was more or less a messy retcon.

Bungie themselves did what they could to get the two entities playing nice with Halsey's Journal, the Assembly data pads, the ambient Blue Team radio transmissions on multiplayer maps, etc. 343 didn't play a huge part in magically getting those two to coexist.

While I definitely agree that the game's take on events is (comparatively) whack, I reject the idea that it retroactively ruined the book, because a) that's impossible, and b) they're not entirely irreconcilable, other than a few details.

Fuchsdh

Again, the games are the primary medium for Halo. FoR was written almost a decade before by someone MS had hired. No way was Bungie going to shoehorn themselves into what the book established, as opposed to the story they wanted to tell in the game they're making for the series they created.

I think far fewer people would have been bothered if the story they told in Reach had been actually been better than TFoR. As it was, none of the retcons actually made it better.

While I definitely agree that the game's take on events is (comparatively) whack, I reject the idea that it retroactively ruined the book, because a) that's impossible, and b) they're not entirely irreconcilable, other than a few details.

The game definitely didn't ruin the book. The book has stood the test of time, and will continue to do so (because it freaking rocks!). The game also made a mess of what Ghost of Onyxs established as well, as the Spartan IIIs were a well guarded secret. It made no sense that suddenly a squad of IIIs were sent to Reach. Halsey didn't know about the IIIs until she got to Onyx.

Madness

I think far fewer people would have been bothered if the story they told in Reach had been actually been better than TFoR. As it was, none of the retcons actually made it better.

True. But I'd counter by saying for literally millions, there is no fall of reach. All they know about Reach they learned from the games. So even if the game isn't better story wise than the book, for most people the book doesn't even exist in their minds.

True. But I'd counter by saying for literally millions, there is no fall of reach. All they know about Reach they learned from the games. So even if the game isn't better story wise than the book, for most people the book doesn't even exist in their minds.

Better late than never! FoR was so good.. I'm glad that more people are going to be made aware of that story.

I at least like the addition that the Forerunner artifact / crashed ship in The Package either held some kind of Rosetta Stone that finally allowed Halsey to translate Forerunner texts into English, or that it had coordinates to Alpha Halo on it. It sounds a little more plausible than a "blind jump," not to mention it kicked off the events that would ultimately turn the Covenant War around.

I at least like the addition that the Forerunner artifact / crashed ship in The Package either held some kind of Rosetta Stone that finally allowed Halsey to translate Forerunner texts into English, or that it had coordinates to Alpha Halo on it. It sounds a little more plausible than a "blind jump," not to mention it kicked off the events that would ultimately turn the Covenant War around.

Wasn't really a blind jump though. There was an assumption of something of value or intense interest being at the coordinates they jumped to. Plus, there's also the deeply behind the scenes sting pulling of the Minds of the Assembly (if you like your Halo with a side of tinfoil hat). :p

Impala26

Best point of defense of the Halo Reach game's story bar none.

Wasn't really a blind jump though. There was an assumption of something of value or intense interest being at the coordinates they jumped to. Plus, there's also the deeply behind the scenes sting pulling of the Minds of the Assembly (if you like your Halo with a side of tinfoil hat). :p

This is the Wahrer way of course.

VinFTW

I'm sorry, but how in gods name can you not have at least 2 player online split screen...

That is the only form of couch coop I even play anymore.

Fuchsdh

As Wesley said, there was never a real blind jump. Cortana figured there might be something at the location which they gleaned from the Cote de Azur artifact. Halsey needing to send Cortana to the Autumn with stuff to save us all was another Bungie retcon, although you could argue it actually had a purpose in the story to make Noble Six and co. not just die for nothing.

I'm sorry, but how in gods name can you not have at least 2 player online split screen...

That is the only form of couch coop I even play anymore.

Because people like you will defend it saying "if it had to be done for 60fps, then so be it. So silky, so smooth, :wow: can't go back"

As Wesley said, there was never a real blind jump. Cortana figured there might be something at the location which they gleaned from the Cote de Azur artifact. Halsey needing to send Cortana to the Autumn with stuff to save us all was another Bungie retcon, although you could argue it actually had a purpose in the story to make Noble Six and co. not just die for nothing.

It did give them a purpose, but it was a sort of shoehorn, as they shouldn't have even been there in the first place as the Spartan IIIs were hidden away and in training on Onyx.

for a multiplayer game I will always prefer 60 fps to any graphics or resolution.

Played some Gears Ultimate Beta a while back and then hopped on Destiny. Oh god.... what is this a slideshow

There should be no framerate over resolution. Both should be in a good condition. I dont really care about 60fps if the game i play looks like shit thanks to the low resolution and aliasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom