• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

What in the shit, I don't even know how I missed that Containment door/shield system. That looked neato. And explains the design of a couple of parts that I always wondered about.
I knew something that you didn't know? What is this?

Halo 2's DLC is weird in general. The promo vids they released before the map pack all have dropped elements in them on most of the maps.

- Relic's energy wall.
- Sanctuary's collapsing columns
- Relic's sniper is in a weapon pod and not sitting on the ground
etc
What? Where was this?

In one of my ATLAS submissions for Halo 3 matchmaking, I converted Ghost Town into a horseshoe map. At the same time, I discovered I could open/close parts of the map by exploiting the fact that Halo 3 didn't support more than 2 teams for CTF or Assault, and the fact that flag/bomb posts were solid. So depending on the mode, I shut out the very abuseable center room to force both teams to go around the more exposed outer bend by making posts that belonged to Green Team:

If you wanted to, you could exploit this on Sandbox by using one of the scenery objects that moved after being placed, and pinning it to a ceiling with a CTF or Bomb post. Then in slayer it'd drop down and block off a passageway or make a bridge.
That is pretty cool. Does that technique work in Reach?

20090813-serioussalsa.jpg

Don try weird salsas.

mango habanero :)

Oh wow, those are cool. These make me want to try too.

They were pretty easy to do. Used an SLR though so I could control the exposure and depth of field.

Had a great solid blue sky day and a nice place to shoot. BTW, that new Halo 4 Warthog kit is excellent. Heads and tails better than the original one.

FyreWulff

I knew something that you didn't know? What is this?

What? Where was this?

Relic's energy gate at :30 (also shown being destroyed at :53). I believe the original idea was that the offense team was to destroy the gate with sheer firepower before they could rush in with the hog.

A8Gdq.jpg

Sniper in a weapon pod at :34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOG9iF6RFrY

Sanctuary column being grenaded and destroyed at :30, and right before that you see two of them sitting in the open when the sniper gets knocked out of scope

sr4N0.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7L7TSfIiXM

That is pretty cool. Does that technique work in Reach?

In theory it does, but in Reach you can just directly label anything as only spawning in a specific gametype.

Relic's energy gate at :30 (also shown being destroyed at :53)

Sniper in a weapon pod at :34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOG9iF6RFrY

Sanctuary column being grenaded and destroyed at :30, and right before that you see two of them sitting in the open when the sniper gets knocked out of scope

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7L7TSfIiXM

In theory it does, but in Reach you can just directly label anything as only spawning in a specific gametype.
Oh yeah I saw that gate modded into the map. Did not know that it was in a beta version of the map.

The sanctuary thing is totally new to me.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Its going to be

WAR GAMES HAVEN PREMIUM THEME vs YELLOW WARRIOR AVATAR ARMOR

then the last one is

GHOST AVATOR PROP vs HALO 4 WALLPAPER PACK

sooo pretty much shitty.

more like
AVATAR CAMO vs PREMIUM BACKGROUND

then

BR UNLOCKED FROM THE START vs PLASMA PISTOL AVATAR PROP

What does Halo 3 style even mean? Its been so long since I used it in 3 or Reach.

I would love it let us apply DOF and other effects, have camera placements and movements, upload to youtube, cut from different cameras etc.
You could watch a full game in theater with a group if everyone downloaded it to their hard drive and if everyone in the party played in the game. Or something like that.

And it still didn't work half the time.
Only 6-7 base maps in the game though according to him.

Oh noes they cancelled all the maps!

For some reason, that's not the first time that a pro has severely underestimated how many maps were in a Halo game.

Ryaaan14

Banned
It could perhaps mean that party viewing is back.

I find it pretty unlikely he would be able to test that during a play session. And if so, that isn't really a big deal at all. I'm a theater nut and I think I maybe did it 4 or 5 times total during H3's lifespan, and it was so broken it was easier to just send them the file.

You could watch a full game in theater with a group if everyone downloaded it to their hard drive and if everyone in the party played in the game. Or something like that.

And it still didn't work half the time.

Clips didn't work most of the time. Full game playback did, though- and it neither required everyone in the party downloading it to their hard drive or to have played in the game being watched.

If this news is true- I'll be a happy camper!

Noricart

Also I have a feeling Forerunner themed objects are only for one of the Forge arenas. Just a hunch.
Really hoping that the texturing on the Forerunner stuff is simpler this time around, because the UNSC pieces we've seen look pretty good. Like Halo 3 levels of detail; not too much, not too little.

Duji

I find it pretty unlikely he would be able to test that during a play session. And if so, that isn't really a big deal at all. I'm a theater nut and I think I maybe did it 4 or 5 times total during H3's lifespan, and it was so broken it was easier to just send them the file.

It may not be a big deal for you, but I found it pretty useful, and so did many others. I frequently went into theater mode with my buddies to review gameplays with pretty much no lag at all. We only encountered problems when we tried to view clips together. And even if it's in H4, it may perform better overall than in H3.

It may not be a big deal for you, but I found it pretty useful, and so did many others. I frequently went into theater mode with my buddies to review gameplays with pretty much no lag at all. We only encountered problems when we tried to view clips together. And even if it's in H4, it may perform better overall than in H3.

I'm right there with you. As are most of the people I play with. This would be a real nice feature to have back.

nillapuddin

I think it looks magnificent!
:)

great job, I knew that Turf Outskirts would be a good showcase

I cannot wait to see how well it comes out in 4, I am so anxious to get my hands on forge

edit:
I really hope nobody "copies" any of my Halo Reach forge designs before I get to in 4
I put alotta love into these things

Top Bottom