• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

CyReN

W2NSo.png

0I5AQ.png

FyreWulff

The lighting tool is very nice too. Makes Forge maps look less... Reach-y.

What'd I tell people :p

I'm pretty sure 100% of the objects from Reach FW are returning. I recognized so many of them. (Of course, with new appearances, etc)

So quick summary:

- The vast majority but not all Forge pieces have magnets
- Locking a piece exempts it from "delete all"
- Each canvas also has special pieces just for that canvas
- All the canvases have built in variants on the disc. The space canvas seems to be named Impact with it's base disc variant named Relay.

- PTVs can change traits like infinite ammo (we already knew this), but apparently can also disable weapon usage?
- Gravity volumes can be set to be visible or not visible in-game
- You can set Initial, Random, and Objective Ordnance drops separately in Forge.

kylej

Banned
so.. let me get this straight theres a color selector to choose your spartan color but we can't do the same in forge. after 5 years.

is this correct?

kylej

Banned
Nothing quite sets off a dramatic space setting with celestial skyboxes hanging in the background better than simple monochromatic blocks scattered all over the ground like empty soda cans.

Pop

Colored forge objects would have been great for the eyes. But at least the grayness is gone, sorta.

TCKaos

While I'm currently unable to watch the video, I think it's sort of hilarious that one of the forge environments is a nice, solid gray. Can't help but think that was done on purpose.

Tunavi

Banned
forge 3.0 is a huge improvement over 2. the lighting really changes how the pieces interact with the map.

did they really need to put in the forge world template for that one map again?

GhaleonEB

What'd I tell people :p

I'm pretty sure 100% of the objects from Reach FW are returning. I recognized so many of them. (Of course, with new appearances, etc)

So quick summary:

- The vast majority but not all Forge pieces have magnets
- Locking a piece exempts it from "delete all"
- Each canvas also has special pieces just for that canvas
- All the canvases have built in variants on the disc. The space canvas seems to be named Impact with it's base disc variant named Relay.

- PTVs can change traits like infinite ammo (we already knew this), but apparently can also disable weapon usage?
- Gravity volumes can be set to be visible or not visible in-game
- You can set Initial, Random, and Objective Ordnance drops separately in Forge.

Saw a number of the same kind of misalignment on pieces in Forge World, as well, such as when the ramp with a platform at the top was married with the walkway...the sides don't align. That as prevalent across the Forge World palette and I'm hoping it's been at least reduced this go around. (Someone documented this well a few weeks back.)

Lighting makes an enormous difference. Still too monochrome on that all-object map, but much better than Reach. Adding to OP then heading into work. It's a crazy day so later announcements and content will be added at the end of the day.

Oh djwheat.
Making every Halo Pro fan grimace even more.

That mightn't be clear to people who don't know me. I like djwheat. He's in the right in a sense. But the Starcraft Pro/Halo Pro scene isn't the friendliest, so pot shots like that tend to get a rise out of people.

kylej

Banned
beautiful.png

holy cow that's gorgeous. pushing the medium to its limits. someone got roger ebert on the phone, I have definitive proof that Games Are Art

Trey

I almost got used to kyle's absence. This is the same guy the touts functionality over aesthetics, so when resources are used to make Forge makes play better, of course he complains about colors on the Forge blocks.

I almost got used to kyle's absence. This is the same guy the touts functionality over aesthetics, so when resources are used to make Forge makes play better, of course he complains about colors on the Forge blocks.

He probably just thinks it's as easy as giving the blocks an RGB value.

How does what we're seeing there make Forge play better?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
New color scheme is 100% better than Reach, it also gives me an odd Mass Effect vibe on the space environment.

Wish they'd add like 3 or 4 color alternates at least, but maybe we'll get Covenant pieces with purple.

kylej

Banned

mmm false equivalencies. try to wrap your mind around the fact that Forge colors would improve functionality! see: MLG Pit

try again please

Overdoziz

Banned
The first thing I thought when I saw that Forge map they made was "That looks way too busy.". Please tell me they're going to allow us to change the white parts of the objects to different colors, please. And not just preset colors, a color slider/wheel is needed.
Also, if the Reach Forge pieces all return with different textures that would be very disappointing. They're inconsistent as hell and can be a pain to Forge with.

To think I almost missed Kyle. Wonder what he complained about while being banned from GAF. A cloud?

To be fair I do think that forge being too grey was one of Gafs biggest complaints about halo reach forge. Seems pretty weird to make out that kylej's posts are stupid when many others have made many similar posts in the past.

Hyped to check out the video.

Being able to make pieces a particular color is not going to make forge look better, I promise. Like I said, it'll end up looking like legos, unless you make it all one color. Then...it'll still look ridiculous.

Woorloog

Banned
New forge environment looks great!

And yes, shadows on Forge objects change pretty much everything in terms of being visually appealing.

Too bad the lightmap doesn't seem to be affecting self-shadowing (shadows on your weapon), or at least not much.
The only self-shadowing i'm sure of happened next to map geometry, not with placed objects. But i'm not 100% sure.

Trey

mmm false equivalencies. try to wrap your mind around the fact that Forge colors would improve functionality! see: MLG Pit

try again please

Callouts, I get you. It would certainly make things a slight bit easier to distinguish where you are at on the map. Balance that with whatever reason you think 343 used to make the game work better technically. I suppose you'd trade lighting for this.

Though, I trust you would facetiously bemoan the small functional aspect of a one-color forge world doesn't quite provide, instead of its artistic merits. Just to stay on message.

To be fair I do think that forge being too grey was one of Gafs biggest complaints about halo reach forge. Seems pretty weird to make out that kylej's posts are stupid when many others have made many similar posts in the past.

Framerate, all grey, inconsistent surfaces (i.e, nuke sockets).

Maybe it's just me, but when they switched to gameplay on Relay (in the forge vid) it just looked weird. It almost looked cartoon-ish, I don't know how else to say it. The objects are too bright? Look out of place? I don't know, something just looks off. The lighting helped, but did we just go from all grey to all white?

Also, while looking at the custom options during the player trait zones part, it seems the modifiers increase by large amounts again. Gravity goes from 100% to 150%, 200 then 300. It just reminds me of when the classic playlist was being developed in Reach: many thought 110% movement speed was slightly too slow, but 120% was slightly too fast. 115% was no where to be found. I'm afraid the same will be true once again in Halo 4, along with the sliders for weapon damage, etc.

Overdoziz

Banned
Saw that too, is it just lighting though?

Capture.PNG
Not sure if this is actually made out of Forge pieces, though. When he deleted all Forge pieces later on in the video the building was still there. Could be that he just deleted all objects of one specific Forge piece, can't remember.
Callouts, I get you. It would certainly make things a slight bit easier to distinguish where you are at on the map. Balance that with whatever reason you think 343 used to make the game work better technically. I suppose you'd trade lighting for this.

Though, I trust you would facetiously bemoan the small functional aspect of a one-color forge world doesn't quite provide, instead. Just to stay on message.

Framerate, all grey, inconsistent surfaces (i.e, nuke sockets).
Allowing people to changes colors of objects would make a huge difference. Even with 3 different palettes and maps to build on the variation of aesthetics will only go so far. If you could adjust the color of pieces you could make a much bigger amount of unique looking maps. The new lighting system is great but if it's still mostly gray/white (Plus Forge light objects) than people will still get sick of the look of Forge maps.

Too bad the lightmap doesn't seem to be affecting self-shadowing (shadows on your weapon), or at least not much.
The only self-shadowing i'm sure of happened next to map geometry, not with placed objects. But i'm not 100% sure.

Seemed to happen when he was running through the station tunnels?

Top Bottom