• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Computron

Saw that too, is it just lighting though?
Capture.PNG
This building is not made with forge pieces.
How do I know? It did not disappear along with the forge pieces when Kynan pressed the delete all button. It did not appear to be a locked forge piece when he hovered over it either.
It is almost certainly a part of the base map and has pre-baked GI Lightmaps.

Hopefully the way they're doing lighting now means that people can use a bunch of colored lights without the performance hit Reach and 3 had. It could help alleviate the lack of a color select if you just blanket areas in colored light.
and
Aaww ambient occlusion in forge didn't make the cut. :(

My hope would be that they would allow us to have more point/spot lights of any arbitrary intensity/size/color with added options for selectively disabling/enabling specular, diffuse and ambient contributions. In addition, negative lights would allow forge artists to mimic the effects of ambient occlusion, a lot better than the typical SSAO even.

That, time and some patience is all you need really to make lighting that looks comparable to the baked GI that they have on their official disc maps.

Here is a recent example that I thought looked cool that a fellow polycounter made inside of cryengine 3 as part of a lighting study. This is only using a large number of point/spot-lights without shadows enabled, he is creating the soft-shadowed bounced lighting effect by hand, essentially adding in direct and bounced light and subtracting the gradients of shadows with negative point lights. In addition, he almost completely turns off procedural low-quality lighting effects like SSAO, so he is pretty much strictly 'painting with light' by himself.Here is the room from various angles. The lightbulb icons signify the point/spot lights:

ifHD7sfeNHNkw.gif

Here is the making-of/workflow used to make this:

i81V6p1UfMBBd.gif

Final:

It might not be the best example, this is a pretty micro scale, but it illustrates how the lighting can be better than simply having only sunlight shining through the window casting a sharp shadow while the rest of the room looks flat. Here you get nice smooth gradients, diffuse-interreflection/bouncing light and soft-shadowing/ambient-occlusion as you do in real life.

Here is an example of how they do it on a larger scale, from Crysis 2. They use these lights and negative lights (which are less densely packed & don’t cast shadows so they’re cheap enough to have shipped in the console versions) to go from this flat, mostly shadowed interior scene:

To this one with lots of color and depth using only 13 small point lights and negative lights:

Now the direct sunlight is bouncing off the ground into the building and the far back side of the interior is a bit darker. Looks awesome, and more 3d/deep.

Here are the 13 lights their lighting artist added:

It's meticulous work, but the results speak for themselves, you get high quality lighting in real-time with a lot of artist control. A technique like this is actually used a lot in AAA animated movies in which GI would take far too long to calculate and lead to less control. (Pixar, for example, has been employing lighting artists to manually place lights and design every aspects of lighting by hand rather than precomputing/simulating full-on GI up until very recently, now they use a hybrid of the two for extra control and efficiency because new techniques allow them to afford it)

I do not see anything to suggest that we will get many of these features in Halo 4's Forge. If they were included though, you could most likely have this working with less densly packed lights at >30 FPS. Crysis 2 does this pretty well on consoles and has solid lighting. You could go from the harsh flat look of the shadow to something with a lot more depth and detail with this technique:

Lighting is just an interesting subject that, much like everything in realtime 3D, varies wildly from engine to engine, especially recently.
The WYSIWYG, 'painting with light' workflow I described is only really become feasible in real-time for dynamic maps recently with deferred renderers,
so compared to the typical static/baked lighting workflow, this is kinda new/not-so-obvious compared to how it was done in the not-too-distant past.
(and is actually still done today to a large degree.)

idnXS00IlVzOW.gif

It's instantly less flat and more easily readable with the softer, more detailed shadows shadowing. Just slight gradients alone allow you to delineate spaces a lot better. On the other hand, here's a couple particularly egregious examples of how flat the lighting is right now on its own:

iQu0gy5PJn2s0.jpg

iOfDpYH7iJuMu.jpg

iuq2BZqSXclu5.jpg

WTF, I can't even tell the foreground apart from the background!
Even the Spartans do not cast any shadows when they are in a shadow, not even a soft one like SSAO would give us. We get no depth cues from the lighting! It is like this old optical illusion they show in psych classes in the vision/perception chapter where if you move/add a shadow in a different place, and as a result, the object starts to look like it is floating off the ground rather than sitting on the ground farther off in the distance:

i79ngcOOh16aP.jpg

The spartans look like they are poorly composited into the shot.

Too bad the lightmap doesn't seem to be affecting self-shadowing (shadows on your weapon), or at least not much.
The only self-shadowing i'm sure of happened next to map geometry, not with placed objects. But i'm not 100% sure.

It does affect self-shadowing, although the effect does not seem very strong in the first person view.

Have they fixed the Gimbal lock problem?
Lol, I never heard anyone actually use the correct term for this one except you.

I would assume not, that happened in Reach because they stored the orientation information for the pieces with 2 numbers, instead of 3:

The Problem Explained (From here BTW)

According to Bungie engineers, all objects that are added by a forger to a map have two pieces of information necessary to describe their orientation in space (not the same as describing their location in space). They include the object's up vector and the object's rotation around it's up vector. According to Bungie, both these pieces of information are stored in a fixed size of memory when the map is stored on disk. When the tilt angle of the up vector is not altered (when it is pointing straight up), the rotation around the object's up vector enjoys the entire size of the memory structure used to describe the object's orientation in the map file on disk. But if the object's up vector is altered (e.g., when you lay the object on its side), then that same memory structure is cut into two pieces, one for the up vector and the other for the object's rotation around its up vector.

The xbox hasn’t gained any memory, and I doubt they want to store all them forge maps with a quaternion and make them forge maps even larger. They compress the shit out of screenshots so as not to clog up bungie.net, I don’t think they wanna spare any room for forge on a problem like gimbal lock.

Saw a number of the same kind of misalignment on pieces in Forge World, as well, such as when the ramp with a platform at the top was married with the walkway...the sides do not align. That as prevalent across the Forge World palette and I am hoping it has been at least reduced this go around. (Someone documented this well a few weeks back.)

Lighting makes an enormous difference. Still too monochrome on that all-object map, but much better than Reach. Adding to OP then heading into work. It's a crazy day so later announcements and content will be added at the end of the day.

I took a good look at many of the pieces in the video and quite a few of the older pieces have been changed/updated to make this less of a problem. Many of the Reach Forerunner pieces that had inclines are now updated to fit with the new human-style of stairs with wider/more standard size walkways. The tall-tower piece for example:

ibwB4aZzCIQyBI.gif

I saw quite a few more in addition to this. I think many of the modularity proportions are fixed/more standard.

BLOOD SPLATTERS ON FORGE PIECES CONFIRMED! :D

Lol, so now your forge maps can have color, as long as the color is grey or manually 'painted' red!

------------------
In other words, the new forge has a lot of room for improvements from what we have seen so far.

Regarding Forge: Without Forge, Reach would have been a total train wreck of a game instead of the partial train wreck that it was. Let's pretend that instead of "spending resources" on Forge World, Bungie spent the resources on making non-Forge maps: we have every reason to believe that they would've made the same goddamned maps! In which case Pinnacle, The Cage, Paradiso, and Hemorrhage would've played just as crappy in Technicolor as they do in Gray.

At least Forge opened things up to some novelty with each new set of community/MLG maps that made it into the game. I agree that the constant onslaught of mediocre, gray maps became tiring, but think about Reach without it. I'm not opposed to having some percent of the maps in a playlist being made with Forge, but keep that percent under 30 and maybe the maps will feel fresh from game-to-game instead of samey.

MAKE YOUR DAMN BED BEFORE YOU TAKE PICTURES
The Radiohead poster was a far more egregious violation of dorm room appearance.

Woorloog

Banned
GODDAMN LONG AND INTERESTING POST

Interesting stuff.
Though i barely understand that stuff. I have a feeling i should at least try if i ever want to make video games (of course depends on the specific job).

Based on those pics with flat lighting, i don't want to play Forged maps in Halo 4 MM, so horrible. Now i reckon good Forger will avoid that issue... but i fear such things will end up in MM (if Forged maps are added to it) anyway.

Tawpgun

Not a commentary on their music, just a commentary on cliches. Think of the children.

Radiohead and Muse are my 2 favorite bands (poster is actually my roommates thats why we're bros 4 lyfe) And Muse is actually touring here in 2013 and I'll probably cry when I see the ticket prices.

And Halo is neat. Can't wait till Saturday.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I tried 'em, thought they helped. Discovered down the road that they DID, because when I played without them a couple of months later, I was noticeably worse. :)

So... yes. IMO, of course.

Cool. Maybe I'll try them out.

I looked for the UNSC controller at Best Buy and didn't see it.

Computron

Very nice post Computron
Thanks bro!

Christ, that took a long time to write... Tons of my examples, screenshots, googling and word spell/grammar check, but it was fun.

I found some other interesting speculative stuff in some footage that I post on Beyond 3d, its a bit too speculative and technical for GAF so I will refrain.

willow ve

SNIP

iQu0gy5PJn2s0.jpg

iOfDpYH7iJuMu.jpg

iuq2BZqSXclu5.jpg

WTF, I can't even tell the foreground apart from the background!
Even the Spartans do not cast any shadows when they are in a shadow, not even a soft one like SSAO would give us. We get no depth cues from the lighting! It is like this old optical illusion they show in psych classes in the vision/perception chapter where if you move/add a shadow in a different place, and as a result, the object starts to look like it is floating off the ground rather than sitting on the ground farther off in the distance:

floating-balls-illusion.jpg

Great post all the way through - this was the part that worries me the most. With the new "dynamic lighting" if you build any interior spaces it looks like these screen shots - no shadows, bright ass spartans, running around with nothing to judge depth perception.

Again, great post.

Vire

Great post all the way through - this was the part that worries me the most. With the new "dynamic lighting" if you build any interior spaces it looks like these screen shots - no shadows, bright ass spartans, running around with nothing to judge depth perception.

Again, great post.

I think there's a important distinction in that there's no visible shadows in shadowed areas. Shadows still appear in brightly lit portions of the map.

Nonetheless, great post. Forge has come a long way in terms of visuals, but it's still got a ways to go to catch up to the rest of the game.

I still think it looks miles above what we had in the past for Forge:

YWJFX.png

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Thanks bro!

Christ, that took a long time to write... Tons of my examples, screenshots, googling and word spell/grammar check, but it was fun.

I found some other interesting speculative stuff in some footage that I post on Beyond 3d, its a bit too speculative and technical for GAF so I will refrain.

It's not that technical lol

Tawpgun

Tawpgun and his roommate already got The Radiohead, so you've gotta choose between Laughing Bob Marley, or The Kiss.

In our room: My side has a Bastion bandana signed by the devs. His side has Radiohead, Liverpool, we got this bad boy on the wall.

IITlj.jpg

We have everyone that comes to our room put a pin on the map of where they're from. Got 20+ in there so far from all over the world/US.

Then a shitload of small 8x11 prints of bands. The most recent addition (that hopefully turns into a thing) is getting the set lists from concerts. Roommate got one from some band I forget and one from Tennis. I got one from Alabama Shakes. Pinned those up.

I hope Halo 4 forge can let us decorate maps...relevant...

Yeah, NOT licensed. Or known about until now.

AW SHIT

It's all in your head bro.

Its not really. You have to get use to them but they do increase your accuracy. And why wouldn't they the logic behind it is pretty simple. You get a more finite control because of the larger area of movement. Its like trying to to do anything with really small parts you almost always need a specific tool to use because human hands are...dumb.

My CoD accuracy went up 2% or so and that was after I had fired like a million something shots, so it slowly went up and up from the day I put them on.

I can't even really use normal controllers anymore.

In our room: My side has a Bastion bandana signed by the devs. His side has Radiohead, Liverpool, we got this bad boy on the wall.

IITlj.jpg

We have everyone that comes to our room put a pin on the map of where they're from. Got 20+ in there so far from all over the world/US.

Then a shitload of small 8x11 prints of bands. The most recent addition (that hopefully turns into a thing) is getting the set lists from concerts. Roommate got one from some band I forget and one from Tennis. I got one from Alabama Shakes. Pinned those up.

Okay, all of that makes up for the poster issue.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Capture.PNG

when this building was first shown, from the outside, i thought the forge lightng was insane, as you can see how that yellowish interior lighting spills out onto the surface outside. but yeah, then he hit "delete everything" and it was still there. :(

T6SBI.png

worth noting that any pictures from the forge mode (monitor) doesnt have all the lighting baked in. it looks considerably better with the lighting. also, looks like a quality map.

willow ve

To be fair... is anything on this actually copyright infringement? Roman numeral IV; nope. Eagle holding shit; nope. A circle around the eagle; nope. A made up language; hmmm, that's a sticky one. I don't think you can actually copyright a language (otherwise shit gonna get real over all that Elvish floating around on merch).

Maybe IP infringement? But it's not like they made a video using in game assets to drive advertising views.

Karl2177

Since when did Hanes V-Neck tees become such a hot commodity? Just paid 10$ for a pack of 3? lolwut. I could have sworn they were like 6$ last year. Fuck you Hanes for making such comfy shirts.
Are they 50/50 or at least not 100% cotton?
Thanks bro!

Great post; superior quality post. I'll hopefully have something up a bit later on my opinions of the Forge news, but I'm still gathering all of my screenshots. Sadly, it's not going to be nearly as interesting or informative as yours though.
Oh snap!

EDIT: Hey Computron, even though I'm nowhere near the level of understanding all of it, do you have links to some of these more detailed non-GAF posts?

Homeboyd

I want to know what 343's plans are for dealing with Mr Fracas. Dude has been showing up at press events & conventions for months claiming to be a developer for 314 industries. Even saw a crude shop of his face on Frankies body on a poster being passed around at PAX.

Should probably get on that.

Edit: Oh hey man!

dem jokes :) and DAMN that was fast

Computron

worth noting that any pictures from the forge mode (monitor) doesnt have all the lighting baked in. it looks considerably better with the lighting. also, looks like a quality map.

Not necessarily. Look again, pieces that have not moved since the last bake actually keep their shadows.

Perhaps the SHs will update the shading every time you add stuff and go back to spartan mode,
but it isn't clear to me exactly how those are implemented yet, I am speculating on that part.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I want to know what 343's plans are for dealing with Mr Fracas. Dude has been showing up at press events & conventions for months claiming to be a developer for 314 industries. Even saw a crude shop of his face on Frankies body on a poster being passed around at PAX.

Should probably get on that.

What.

Top Bottom