• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Talents

Banned
30 minutes before I turn 21, and I just want all of you to know that I'm spending it with HaloGAF before getting really, really drunk off of heckfu's drink recommendations.

<3 you guys.

p.s.
nilla bring me pizza

Happy Birthday man, have a good one <3

Blueblur1

GRzBg.png

:lol

TheOddOne

If anyone spoils anything from that Spanish leak I'm sending Kyle to your house to turn it into a "playable space that runs at 60fps."
The second level you find out that Halo 3's campaign was all in Chief's mind. Also, Chief has been dead for 10 years and The Rookie is just replaying his memories through the Animus.

Multiplayer, forge and theater is all fine in my books. Campaign shouldn't even be in this thread. There is a Halo 4 spoiler thread and I'd appreciate it if people would post any Halo 4 spoilers that could come form this leak there.

IHaveIce

Banned
If anyone spoils anything from that Spanish leak I'm sending Kyle to your house to turn it into a "playable space that runs at 60fps."

you remember the erotic story with cortana and chief? Yeah it kinda gets like that in the fifth level.

Multiplayer, forge and theater is all fine in my books. Campaign shouldn't even be in this thread. There is a Halo 4 spoiler thread and I'd appreciate it if people would post any Halo 4 spoilers that could come form this leak there.

Yep, I agree with this.

The discs look legit, but why is there nowhere in the box for the second disc? The spindle doesn't look like the ones they use for two discs.

Gabo, could you ask him not to leak campaign? It'd be a real shame for it to leak, especially this far out from launch.

I commented him about this, now it's up to him to post campaign pics or not.
haha we have a great sense of humour, lol'd hard at this.

Edit: he bought it for about 42.28 Euros.

kylej

Banned
bigshow has posted more well reasoned constructive criticism about halo than 99% of the people in this thread. I find it bizarre that people jump on him when he posts.

Only positive viewpoints are appreciated here.

Criticism is bad, criticism scare away devs, which scares away Deadly Cyclones chances of getting hired.

yep. hire juicey

That Spain leak was smuggled across the border. Over the Pyrenees. FROM FRANCE.

Live-Action Ad, tut tut 343. Ye already have FUD for heavens sake.
Firm believer in marketing the game with the game.

Criticism is bad, criticism scare away devs, which scares away Deadly Cyclones chances of getting hired.
Straight for the jugular.

bigshow has posted more well reasoned constructive criticism about halo than 99% of the people in this thread. I find it bizarre that people jump on him when he posts.

yep. hire juicey
Pretty much agree. But people get onto you for just about everything you say, so I guess you shouldn't be surprised lol.

OT: Just picked up E.T. on Blu-ray with the little E.T. plushie. Elliot was my childhood
ie
hero.
still is lol
Elliot.jpg

TheOddOne

Fincer is not the director.

David Fincher and Tim Miller create Halo 4 launch trailer
Hollywood director David Fincher (Fight Club, The Social Network) and acclaimed visual effects lead Time Miller (Scott Pilgrim vs. the World) have teamed up to create the Halo 4 launch trailer.

Fincher is executive producer and Miller director.

In partnership with 343 Industries and agency twofifteenmccann, Fincher and Miller will help deliver an emotionally-charged look at the backstory of Master Chief.

Titled "Scanned" the trailer will provide a glimpse of the new threat Master Chief will encounter.

"I'm excited about the opportunity to direct the Halo 4 launch trailer in creative partnership with 343 Industries and David Fincher," said Miller. &#8220;"Halo is one of the most iconic sci-fi universes, with a depth that allows for amazingly cinematic and emotionally riveting stories. The chance to tell a story that explores never-before-seen facets of Master Chief's journey is an honor. Our goal is to deliver a blockbuster, Hollywood-quality trailer that raises the bar for the award-winning legacy of live-action 'Halo' storytelling and gets fans stoked for the return of Master Chief."

Fincher stated: "I enjoy collaborating with Tim Miller, who is at the visual and technical forefront of hybridised live-action/CGI &#8211; not only pushing the boundary but defining it."

An extended two-minute trailer will make its premiere during the October 18 episode of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. It will be available on Halo Waypoint and the Xbox YouTube channel immediately following the broadcast debut (around 6am BST).

yep. hire juicey
If people aren't familiar with the reasoning behind his attitude, they're not going to take well to sarcastic quips on their own. People here aren't anti-criticism, they're anti-defamation. Saying things like "343 Industries is shit" (just to take an example from my posting history) doesn't foster any sort of worthwhile discussion on its own, even if I could give you 100 reasons that support my hypothesis, nor does it lend you credibility with anyone who could possibly address your grievances (ingratiating yourself with a developer or a connected person can benefit everyone if it means improving the game, and shouldn't be pooh-poohed).

Criticism is so much more than just talking negatively about something. It's about intelligently identifying successes, failures, things that need improvement, iteration, and providing useful feedback in cases where you are speaking to a developer, or using it to produce a better design in the case of being a competitor. I have rarely (notice I say rarely, not never) seen quality criticism from the pariahs in this community. That is not a coincidence.

If people aren't familiar with the reasoning behind his attitude, they're not going to take well to sarcastic quips on their own. People here aren't anti-criticism, they're anti-defamation. Saying things like "343 Industries is shit" (just to take an example from my posting history) doesn't foster any sort of worthwhile discussion on its own, even if I could give you 100 reasons that support my hypothesis, nor does it lend you credibility with anyone who could possibly address your grievances (ingratiating yourself with a developer or a connected person can benefit everyone if it means improving the game, and shouldn't be pooh-poohed).

Criticism is so much more than just talking negatively about something. It's about intelligently identifying successes, failures, things that need improvement, iteration, and providing useful feedback in cases where you are speaking to a developer, or using it to produce a better design in the case of being a competitor. I have rarely (notice I say rarely, not never) seen quality criticism from the pariahs in this community. That is not a coincidence.
319047856_dbf1ef3e92.jpg

And posts like "yawn" or posts about salty tears are any better?

Louis Wu

Then think about this:

What requires better communication and teamwork; two teammates within close physical proximity and visual range shooting at the same target or two teammates coordinating across the map but acting as individuals?

What has greater strategic potential; a team of individuals who can be effective as individuals and utitlize the entire map simultaneously or a team of players who is forced to stay in close proximity?

Every single "team" skill in a game like Halo 3 or Reach is still present and useful in a game like Halo CE; teamshot, bait/switch, decoys. However, the spectrum of viable alternatives is so much broader in a game where individuals can also be effective that the strategic depth is exponentially increased.
Okay - let me start off by saying I'm NOT a competitive player; I almost don't feel qualified to ask questions, let alone contribute to the discussion. All I've really got going for me is that I've been around for a long, long time - so if I'm asking dumb questions, be nice about telling me so. :)

If I'm understanding you correctly, your argument is that Halo (the first one) is the last game where individual skill was more important than the ability to work as a team. (I'm not suggesting that the ability to be a team player isn't a skill - I'm trying to summarize your overall point, that Halo allowed individual skill to shine and gave greater depth to team play than later games did.)

The part I don't get, then, is why the early competitive winners were so quickly eclipsed when Halo 2 came out.

If you look at the early days of competitive gaming (first national championship was in 2002, AGP was pretty active in 2003, MLG kicked off that year), you'll see names like HP Darkman, StrangePurple, Zyos. They dominated at the start (especially when they teamed up to form The Dream Team) - but soon after Halo 2 came out, they ALL faded away. It's like they couldn't adapt to the new game (though the Ogres and Walshy, who'd all been around in 2003, had no trouble doing so).

So if a group of guys could dominate the competitive scene, both individually and as a team, when the game was DEEPER, and rewarded individual play more... why wouldn't they dominate even MORE in a game that became less deep? (Zyos kept playing FFAs through 2006, and then dropped out of professional gaming, but he stopped playing team games in 2005, and the rest of the Dream Team was gone in 2004.)

Part of the answer might be as simple as "the competitive scene wasn't big enough to support them and they went back to school" - the first real contracts weren't signed until mid-2006. But I don't think that's all of it. To me, as an outsider (to the competitive scene), it seemed that players that were BETTER individually (in Halo) had more trouble adapting to the team dynamics of Halo 2 - it's not that Halo's team play is deeper, it's that Halo's team dynamics are LESS important than the individual skills of the members of the team. (That is: four great FFA players could easily dominate in Halo team play - but 4 great Halo 2 FFA players wouldn't necessarily dominate in Halo 2 team play.)

I guess, for me, it boils down to "Team playing is a different skill than solo playing, and its importance was greatly diminished in the first Halo, compared to later games."

Tying this back to your original argument, it seems we agree... to a point. Individual skill is MORE important in Halo than in Halo 2. Where we seem to diverge is that you are suggesting that higher individual skill will necessarily lead to higher team skill... and I'm suggesting that there's not really a correlation (at least in the first game). I will ABSOLUTELY agree that in Halo 2 and 3, teams with greater-skilled players dominated, and I will agree that in the early days of Reach, wins were more unpredictable because there WAS a greater 'random' factor - one that MLG removed over time, leading to fewer upsets and more predictable outcomes. But what I don't see is a greater 'depth' in Halo gameplay that comes from individual skill - what I see is that individual skill level was far more important than the ability to work together as a team. To me... that's LESS depth.

Wow, I didn't expect this to be that long. And now I'm late for a meeting. :(

I had no idea they would start shooting so late. I mean, procrastination is what I learned to do well in college, but I figured things changed when you stopped trying to get laid and started tryin to get paid.

319047856_dbf1ef3e92.jpg

And posts like "yawn" or posts about salty tears are any better?
Salty tears? Yawn? I'm not sure what kind of posts you're talking about. If someone is praising the game in ways that defy logic, or simply saying things like "Forge is perfect!" they deserve to be called out, at least to further explain themselves. I haven't really observed this as much as what I posted about, if at all.

heckfu

Banned
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/131/319047856_dbf1ef3e92.jpg[MG]

And posts like "yawn" or posts about salty tears are any better?[/QUOTE]
Why sure they are, I'm HaloGAF's sweetheart.

But for real, my whole intention was that BigShow has his schtick and we've all seen it a thousand times. Criticism is fine, go nuts, my criticism is that I'm bored of that same post over and over.

Fuchsdh

25 percent total, around 50 percent youth. I studied in Valencia in 2007 when Spain was at its culmination...really sad to see the way things have turned.

Well, at least it's not as bad as Greece! :|

So when's this ad going to start airing?

But for real, my whole intention was that BigShow has his schtick and we've all seen it a thousand times. Criticism is fine, go nuts, my criticism is that I'm bored of that same post over and over.

Heckfu for prez

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

yep. hire juicey

*Sigh*

Anyways, I enjoy you (Juices), Doziz, BigShow, and KyleJ. As much as you guys give me shit for my job preferences, I'd hope I'm not the one not allowing negative opinions on HaloGaf. Negative opinions need to be talked about and brought to light. I may disagree with some of them, but hopefully I never freak out because you posted them

Carry on

EDIT:

This is how I generally get. I don't detest any specific criticism, I detest repetitive criticism.

Tawpgun

It's like Kyle but without the funny.

Okay - let me start off by saying I'm NOT a competitive player; I almost don't feel qualified to ask questions, let alone contribute to the discussion. All I've really got going for me is that I've been around for a long, long time - so if I'm asking dumb questions, be nice about telling me so. :)

If I'm understanding you correctly, your argument is that Halo (the first one) is the last game where individual skill was more important than the ability to work as a team. (I'm not suggesting that the ability to be a team player isn't a skill - I'm trying to summarize your overall point, that Halo allowed individual skill to shine and gave greater depth to team play than later games did.)

The part I don't get, then, is why the early competitive winners were so quickly eclipsed when Halo 2 came out.

If you look at the early days of competitive gaming (first national championship was in 2002, AGP was pretty active in 2003, MLG kicked off that year), you'll see names like HP Darkman, StrangePurple, Zyos. They dominated at the start (especially when they teamed up to form The Dream Team) - but soon after Halo 2 came out, they ALL faded away. It's like they couldn't adapt to the new game (though the Ogres and Walshy, who'd all been around in 2003, had no trouble doing so).

So if a group of guys could dominate the competitive scene, both individually and as a team, when the game was DEEPER, and rewarded individual play more... why wouldn't they dominate even MORE in a game that became less deep? (Zyos kept playing FFAs through 2006, and then dropped out of professional gaming, but he stopped playing team games in 2005, and the rest of the Dream Team was gone in 2004.)

Part of the answer might be as simple as "the competitive scene wasn't big enough to support them and they went back to school" - the first real contracts weren't signed until mid-2006. But I don't think that's all of it. To me, as an outsider (to the competitive scene), it seemed that players that were BETTER individually (in Halo) had more trouble adapting to the team dynamics of Halo 2 - it's not that Halo's team play is deeper, it's that Halo's team dynamics are LESS important than the individual skills of the members of the team. (That is: four great FFA players could easily dominate in Halo team play - but 4 great Halo 2 FFA players wouldn't necessarily dominate in Halo 2 team play.)

I guess, for me, it boils down to "Team playing is a different skill than solo playing, and its importance was greatly diminished in the first Halo, compared to later games."

Tying this back to your original argument, it seems we agree... to a point. Individual skill is MORE important in Halo than in Halo 2. Where we seem to diverge is that you are suggesting that higher individual skill will necessarily lead to higher team skill... and I'm suggesting that there's not really a correlation (at least in the first game). I will ABSOLUTELY agree that in Halo 2 and 3, teams with greater-skilled players dominated, and I will agree that in the early days of Reach, wins were more unpredictable because there WAS a greater 'random' factor - one that MLG removed over time, leading to fewer upsets and more predictable outcomes. But what I don't see is a greater 'depth' in Halo gameplay that comes from individual skill - what I see is that individual skill level was far more important than the ability to work together as a team. To me... that's LESS depth.

Wow, I didn't expect this to be that long. And now I'm late for a meeting. :(
I was around during that time, but I definitely didn't pay attention to the competitive scene back then. But I did want to ask one question about the bolded. Did they fade away because they weren't good at Halo2 or because they didn't like Halo2? Darkman is the only name i recognize out of the players you listed, and I want to say I remember his big thing was FFA's, like he dominated 1v1's and solo play. But I could easily be wrong on that.

Top Bottom