• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

IHaveIce

Banned
3tlD3.png

Damn, hopefully it will be online soon after that.
But this is really good news.

willow ve

This argument doesn't wash with me though.

Modern Warfare didn't borrow so blatantly from one game series like Halo 4 is. It carved out something that was completely unique and untested at the time and turned that into a success. Halo 2 did exactly the same. When people read about MW and Halo 2 prior to release, the information was both a little alien, and thus incredibly exciting.

Halo 4 hasn't done this whatsoever. Each and every core change is overtly relatable to a comparable and at times identical feature in not just Call of Duty, but tons of other first person shooters that have subsequently fallen at the wayside trying to chase after Call of Duty's almost monopoly-like stranglehold on the genre. I wouldn't say 'monopoly' because traditionally Halo has (through 3 and Reach) managed to co-exist quite healthily alongside Call of Duty, and Reach suffered because of asinine design decisions that brushed against traditional aspects of Halo.

Halo's always been the tip of the spear when it comes to console multiplayer, the one to set it's flag in the sand and declare a way of playing, a philosophy of playing that was so unique and still incredibly popular. That 343 have taken the keys to the franchise and reneged on this is something I don't enjoy seeing, they can add the BR, crank up the movement speed, but if weapons are dropping randomly, killstreaks are being awarded, I'm unlocking weapon skins and helmets, and earning 15 points for throwing a grenade 100 yards then it kills a lot of the magic.

More importantly, when playing as a team to win is thrown under the bus for personal satisfaction and visual carrots, and player balance is sacrificed for an emphasis on individual growth through unlockable attributes and ability buffs then it just isn't Halo to me.

I accept that all successful videogames contain an element, often times a smattering of borrowed features and philosophies, but rarely, if at all, have I seen such a blatant move from one gaming powerhouse to accede to another close competitor.

And outright butchering of other features to be ripped and rolled into your own sandbox isn't a guarantee of success, see: Resident Evil 6.

I agree with all of this and it deserves to live on within another page. Well said.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've already expressed on Twitter how I feel. It sucks there isn't theatre for campaign. I don't know of anyone who would want that gone but I'm sure there is a reason.

I'm on my phone so ill have to make it brief but the rhetoric in here is incredible. Calling people who make the game assholes and idiots is terrible. These people are more than friendly and have extended more time, money, and effort to be inclusive to me at events and online than any other company, so I feel compelled to say that criticism is fine, in fact I encourage it, but at least in a respectful discourse.

"Oh god Heck is such a slurper," fine. But I consider these folks as close to friends as I could. If your friend at home made something, like seriously made something that took years, would you call them a fucking idiot because they didn't include your vision in what they were making for you? Probably not. You'd voice your opinion and so forth but this is on a much larger scale.

Again, I agree it sucks that there is no theatre for campaign. I only used it a handful of times but having the option would've been nice.

See how easy it is to say without being a complete jag?

Now fire away at your criticisms of me, I deserve it.
I missed this post before, but:

a3myy.gif

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
I understand that we should not be namecalling, being nasty, etc.

However, a close friend probably wouldn't be charging us an arm and a leg for something that they voluntarily made for us. 343 loves halo of course but they do make a living off producing this game.

Regardless, your point still stands.

Cue up a Sally Struthers save the children commercial.

Here's a little tidbit about SmartGlass (that device interaction with your 360 console). Personally I like to hear some comments/wants about Halo 4 and SmartGlass interaction.

I know they've mentioned this will become part of Halo 4 but I wonder what sort of features are going to be there? Perhaps player statistics as you battle players in game. Perhaps a real time top down map view of the spawns, ordnance, pickups, callouts etc?

What if they enable video recording to a device while you play? Then you could upload to Waypoint as well?

Personally I think SmartGlass has some awesome value add potential and that's not even touching things from this video like sports watching, group voting, live feedback loops etc.

Moa

And people wonder why we move fast.

OT: I hope there's actual new gameplay in the trailer... Not just 5 seconds of some clip of a guy throwing a grenade that we've seen tons of times prior.

Do you honestly get upset when other people reply with a one word answer?

FyreWulff

Here's a little tidbit about SmartGlass (that device interaction with your 360 console). Personally I like to hear some comments/wants about Halo 4 and SmartGlass interaction.

I know they've mentioned this will become part of Halo 4 but I wonder what sort of features are going to be there? Perhaps player statistics as you battle players in game. Perhaps a real time top down map view of the spawns, ordnance, pickups, callouts etc?

What if they enable video recording to a device while you play? Then you could upload to Waypoint as well?

Personally I think SmartGlass has some awesome value add potential and that's not even touching things from this video like sports watching, group voting, live feedback loops etc.

They should rebrand it. SmartGlass isn't short enough. They should use a single word that signifies two devices working together, like "U" for union/unison, then allow you to have buttons on the second screen device so you don't have to swap between a controller and a phone.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
I agree with all of this and it deserves to live on within another page. Well said.

Yet I'd argue very little of what made COD so popular was it's core gameplay. It was fluff that made every Shmoe that picked up a controller feel like like they were achieving something.

Let's not kid ourselves, you're not going to see some quantum leap in FPS gameplay until you plug your head into the Matrix. Halo is Halo. I have no problem with them adding fluffy layers if it means getting a good population.

Despite what many people here think, I will never buy into people leaving Reach because of core gameplay. Masses left because the fluff sucked. So you can have it two ways- the purist form of Halo ever, and wait 20 minutes for matchmaking to find Kylej, or you can deal with the cosmetic stuff and not have to worry about matchmaking croaking.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Has this been mentioned before?

Campaign has no metagame scoring or medals. So you have no timer. And you can't save campaign films.

From someone who has played the game (not me).

I would assume there is no scoring in Spops if this is the case...

The vitriol in here is a little disheartening, and I'm saying that as someone who is about as gunshy on a lot of the key changes as I could be, even just on a philosophical level. Can't really tell if the drivebys from all sides or the slurp/salt bullshit is more annoying at this point.
Not really talking to you specifically, but using your post to bring up a point: the more people bring up the bolded the worse it will get. Personally, I enjoy the subtle attacks in posts bleeding with sarcasm. They either resonate with me or give me a good laugh. I for the most part like listening to what other people have to say whether I agree with it or not. What I don't like listening to are posts that only call out other posters for complaining. That kind of crap only draws unnecessary attention to things that would probably just get left alone and die, regardless. But each new knee-jerk reaction explodes into a several page discussion on all the negativity in this thread, which makes me want to slit my wrists more than anything else. Several pages of bickering about negative posts, only to be followed by several pages of people going overboard in their attempts to be positive toward 343 or Bungie. Vomit... Complaining about what Halo 4 has or doesn't have is not an attack on Frankie or David, but for some reason people act like that's what is going on a lot of the time.

Talk about the game. Talk about your life. Talk about the rock you stubbed your toe on while meandering through a public restroom naked, but let people post game-related hate without the drama, and not as if someone just personally ripped your balls off. Seriously, does it really matter? Kyle and Juices, for example, will be playing Halo4 longer than most on this forum and their dedication to the game is unmatched by most. Not sure why everyone gets their panties in a wad when either of them rip into what they don't like about Halo. Negative opinions - I don't know how to deal with them!!
meme-mckayla-50.gif

LD2k

Neo Member
Taking 3 steps back and 1 forward doesn't help this situation. They should have set out from the get go to make this the definitive Halo. Silence doubters by going above and beyond what Bungie did before them. Set a tempo that the rest of the industry will have a hard time keeping up with. Don't play it safe. With the amount of talent at 343, Halo 4 should be setting new industry standards, not retreading old paths.
I think the majority of people feel they are taking steps back while not crediting 343i with what they're doing to refresh and refine the Halo series. I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying, but I feel like the spec of pepper in the GAF salt field right now.

<3

Edit - Who is Didactifying my Tyson avatar? Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom