• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Madness

Well since GTA V is also coming, this is going to be a 360 purchase for me. I got live till December anyways.

I just can't see myself getting a new console at launch. Especially after the money I spent this gen on the 360.

I'm leaning more to a ps4, seems more powerful and dev friendly. I don't really care for kinect or all the other bullshit that probably wouldn't make it past the crtc in Canada anyway. If ps4 maintains free online, count me in for that.

Mix

Thanks guys.

Doesn't work. My posts are highlighted, but my quotes in others' posts are not. Are you guys experiencing the same issue?

Yes

I would love it if, we could take what we've earned with our characters, linked to a Bungie account which if not already in existence, is created when you first play the game, and play that character on other consoles, be it 360, PS3, PS4, or Durango. That would be great

MKVcFVT.jpg

Here's what I think

The City. Hub World for trading, socializing thing's like that you can "boot" straight into this for that MMO feel
Chapter 3. Jump to story mission
Bounty. Menu based trade hub and management center for players
Strike. PvE matchmaking
Raid. Replay dungeons/instances with PvE matchmaking for loot
Faction Wars. PvP matchmaking on a mixture of small scale arena maps and battlefields

Vire

Here's what I think

The City. Hub World for trading, socializing thing's like that you can "boot" straight into this for that MMO feel
Chapter 3. Jump to story mission
Bounty. Menu based trade hub and management center for players
Strike. PvE matchmaking
Raid. Replay dungeons/instances with PvE matchmaking for loot
Faction Wars. PvP matchmaking on a mixture of small scale arena maps and battlefields

So Guild Wars FPS? Great.

Dirtbag

The always online, and no menu driven MP does seem like something MLG or the like, will never be able to really host for tournaments unfortunately.

Dirtbag

I'm pretty satisfied with the reveal. I don't really understand what people expected for a first reveal.
Bungie are kings of cock-tease. They'll drag this shit out right up till launch, its practically a science by now.

Rookies

I'm pretty satisfied with the reveal. I don't really understand what people expected for a first reveal.
Bungie are kings of cock-tease. They'll drag this shit out right up till launch, its practically a science by now.

Rookies

Thats not a good thing, and after Reach might hurt rather than help. I am already sort of disinterested personally. I hope they dont drag shit out, just do a proper reveal at E3.

J10

Banned

Rookies

Word. I remember when this screenshot of Halo 2 was all we had for like 6 months.

burialmounds.jpg

Only to find out several years later that they faked it.

Dirtbag

Thats not a good thing, and after Reach might hurt rather than help. I am already sort of disinterested personally. I hope they dont drag shit out, just do a proper reveal at E3.

It's carrot on a stick marketing. They dangle and build hype.
It's pretty routine by now. You'll be just as hyped right before launch regardless. It won't matter.

It's pretty routine by now. You'll be just as hyped right before launch regardless. It won't matter.

Personally im going to avoid all the drip fed info and just hold out for the media blowout. This game isn't Halo but even after the last Halo game they made I think they will find it harder to just drip feed info which keeps me interested.

I mean with Reach I was following along and getting hyped by all the tidbits - I was invested in Halo and loved Bungies previous work. This time round im a bit meh.

Who knows, the approach might work, but GTA5 and the next gen information will be exciting enough, I could happily wait until they put out decent info to figure out what Destiny is. I dont think the approach they took in the past ever really worked with the masses who typically just buy the big ticket games anyway.

Dirtbag

Personally im going to avoid all the drip fed info and just hold out for the media blowout. This game isn't Halo but even after the last Halo game they made I think they will find it harder to just drip feed info which keeps me interested.

I mean with Reach I was following along and getting hyped by all the tidbits - I was invested in Halo and loved Bungies previous work. This time round im a bit meh.

Who knows, the approach might work on the masses, but GTA4 and the next gen information will be exciting enough, I could happily wait for the day before release to figure out what Destiny is.

It always works on the masses. Just wait till everyone on GAF has destiny avatars right before launch. A new universe from Bungie and you expect them to just lay it all out in front of you.

We didn't even know about the Flood pre-CE.

neoism

Word. I remember when this screenshot of Halo 2 was all we had for like 6 months.

burialmounds.jpg

Only to find out several years later that they faked it.

those where the days... i remember only getting news once a month when my EGM came out... i would be so happy...:( the internet has ruined us with this infoNOW mentality

TheOddOne

Activision CEO Eric Hirshberg Believes ESports 'Could Be A Big Part Of Gaming' Moving Forward
ric Hirshberg, CEO of Activision Publishing, talks about the growing importance of eSports in developing game franchises and explains why he believes eSports could be a big part of the overall video game industry moving forward in this exclusive interview.

With Call of Duty: Black Ops II, Activision and Treyarch have had great success in the eSports arena when it comes to developing that game specifically for pro gaming. What are the benefits that eSports brings to a game franchise today?

I feel like eSports is happening with or without us. Games have become the biggest unofficial sports league in the world right now. People are competing all the time and it’s competitive by nature. There’s a massive unofficial ecosystem of content, whether it be on YouTube or Wikipedia pages, dedicated to the world’s most dedicated gamers. There are only a few venues where they can really in an officially sanctioned public way compete. We felt like taking it into the DNA of the game only makes sense. On the casual level, if you’re playing in a league with your friends it makes it more fun and it allows you to play with people on your same skill level. If you’re a super competitive gamer and in a league and you want to find out who’s the best of the best, the leagues allow you to do that as well. It’s really just observing the behavior that we’re already seeing out there and giving our community better tools to supercharge it.
GG 343.

It always works on the masses. Just wait till everyone on GAF has destiny avatars right before launch. A new universe from Bungie and you expect them to just lay it all out in front of you.

I dont think the approach they took in the past ever really worked with the general public masses who typically just buy the big ticket games anyway. Seems to be a turn off for some of the critics who went out of their way to just see concept art.

As far as flood in CE and more info about Destiny. There is a big difference between showing us what the gameplay is going to be like, and showing a big plot twist. I just think its going to be a frustrating 6 months if they drip feed info rather than just saying what the gameplay is about. Maybe 343 did a super bad job with Halo 4 and its tainting how I remember the Bungie prerelease marketing. Im not a fan of the kind of pre-release marketing we have been exposed to recently.

To be fair, that was before video games were followed as much as they are now. Most games back then were just announced, had a trailer or two, then came out. Now you have to reveal pretty much everything about it with trailers, interviews, twitter updates, and documentaries for every large AAA title. Been a long time since I've played a game with a plot twist like the Flood in CE.

Dirtbag

My only concern is the lack of a main protagonist shown. People really latched onto the Chief.
I guess the Traveler will be the main associated image, but the overal Destiny universe doesnt seem to have a single identified iconic character yet. Part of the rub of a player designed profile.

J10

Banned
I dont think the approach they took in the past ever really worked with the general public masses who typically just buy the big ticket games anyway. Seems to be a turn off for some of the critics who went out of their way to just see concept art.

As far as flood in CE and more info about Destiny. There is a big difference between showing us what the gameplay is going to be like, and showing a big plot twist. I just think its going to be a frustrating 6 months if they drip feed info rather than just saying what the gameplay is about. Maybe 343 did a super bad job with Halo 4 and its tainting how I remember the Bungie prerelease marketing. Im not a fan of the kind of pre-release marketing we have been exposed to recently.

If only there were something else you could occupy your time with for that six months.

TheOddOne

My only concern is the lack of a main protagonist shown. People really latched onto the Chief.
I guess the Traveler will be the main associated image, but the overal Destiny universe doesnt seem to have a single identified iconic character yet. Part of the rub of a player designed profile.
Seems like an evolution of Noble 6.

If only there were something else you could occupy your time with for that six months.

Exactly, why bother scraping for bits of information when there are better things to do. I personally will just wait for the proper media blowout. I just don't think things bode well for that happening except for maybe (hopefully!) E3.

Merguson

Banned

It's the way they handled it.

The press was at Bungie Studios for six hours. Zero gameplay showed to them. Even some Bungie employees thought they would see gameplay. Most press didn't.

I don't mind this type of reveal, but that's kind of a shitty thing to do. Especially when you release a five-minute ViDoc with some gameplay in it on the same day the embargo ends.

Dirtbag

It's the way they handled it.

The press was at Bungie Studios for six hours. Zero gameplay showed to them. Even some Bungie employees thought they would see gameplay. Most press didn't.

I don't mind this type of reveal, but that's kind of a shitty thing to do. Especially when you release a five-minute ViDoc with some gameplay in it on the same day the embargo ends.

Oh yeah I'm not defending that, but I'm not press.
What the fuck do I care about the press doing their job.

The person you played it Reach. Essentially a blank slate you make your own
Exactly

Trey

Bungie kept their own engine I assume? I'm not familiar with the ownership and possession of the tech clauses in Bungie and MS' termination deal. The animations look right out of Reach.

Top Bottom