• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Madness

25k players? Isn't that just peak though? I'd wager a lot more play it than that. (obviously not relevant to your argument. Just saiyan)

I don't know. I played for nearly 7 hours a few days ago. The player count for all playlists barely went above 25k and was actually less most of the time. Once East Coast US sleeps it drops to below 6k even. Sure you could have 20k new users every hour, but it's unlikely. It's just not doing well at all.

Xbox 360 Top LIVE Titles (based on UU’s)
Call Of Duty: Black Ops II 
Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition
EA Sports FIFA Soccer 13  
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
NBA 2K13 
Battlefield 3 
Halo 4  

nillapuddin

Wrong. What's the one reason Halo 4 isn't played much like Reach before it? The fans don't like it. Fuck everyone else. You make the fans happy first.

People always say Call of Duty doesn't change, Call of Duty is stale, it's the same shit over and over. And yet that's what their fans want. And it sells like hotcakes.

If they release Halo 5 and it plays like CE/2/possibly 3, then you've made a lot of fans happy, they in turn will play for longer than a few months, they'll make videos again, montages, they'll play it on pro circuits, they'll play with their friends etc.

Close to 12+ million played Halo 4, probably more than 7 million copies of the game were sold and yet less than 25 thousand play the game regularly still. It's behind three shooters, two of which are nearly 2 years old. This is the main Xbox game, the game that sold consoles like crazy and it's an almost ran on a console it created.

Im not looking to argue man, I understand COD is a good comparison, and it proves your point well

I am a Halo fanboy for life, I have my rose tinted glasses sitting on my bed stand, but even I cannot deny that back then, there just wasnt any serious competition on console.

Being honest again, Halo is too hard for randies to play

(blah blah they are making Halo way too easy, blah blah)

Well the thing is, most mindless/ADHD/bro-gamers would rather go to COD where they can shoot for 2 seconds, kill or be killer, and spawn instantly to go do it again

Even if Halo isnt as skillful as it once was or whatever, its still a more strategic game than the competition.

Not many people can pick up a controller for the first time and do well at Halo, you need to learn shields, weapon combos, (AA's)...

People go towards the path of least resistance, while I was living with roommates the past 4 years at college, they all loved COD, not a single one of the people I lived with could ever pull off a 1.0 K/D spread, but they didnt care, because as a core most of the players dont care.

Whenever I tried to get everyone to play Halo, we tried it, but ultimately they didnt "get it", and were confused on how people lived more than a few seconds.

I just dont think that..

6-8 hour Campaign
Halo 3 MP @ 60fps & dedis
Forge
Firefight/SpOps

will ever be able to claim the spotlight like Halo used to.

forums are for opinions and discussions, I know this wont be popular. preparing my jetpack flamesuit.

Madness

I understand that Nilla. And I think there is some Halo fatigue and I do believe it is not as accessible as a Call of Duty, but you can't deny this game is hated(strong word) by many longtime fans.

EA Sports FIFA Soccer 13  
NBA 2K13
Battlefield 3 
Halo 4  

Is Battlefield really easier to pick up and play than Halo? This means there are more fans for Battlefield 3 than there are fans for Halo 4. And it's a game now close to 2 years old.

Even if Halo can never again compete, even if it gets dwarfed by CoD or Destiny or anything, the fans should at least be happy playing the game, and judging by what you read now, what you see, many fans just don't like Halo 4 or play it.

heckfu

Banned
EA Sports FIFA Soccer 13  
NBA 2K13
Battlefield 3 
Halo 4  

vIf0lAD.gif

J10

Banned
Can we really say this when the majority of Halo players back in the Halo 3 (and possibly 2) days were most-likely randies?

Yeah we can, because today other shooters do a better job of propping players up with Win Only modes of play. Notice how team scores are absent from post-game carnage reports in Halo 4. All that matters is how many points YOU got.

JDHarbs

Yeah we can, because today other shooters do a better job of propping players up with Win Only modes of play. Notice how team scores are absent from post-game carnage reports in Halo 4. All that matters is how many points YOU got.
I guess changing the statement to "Halo is too hard for today's randies" seems more appropriate.

heckfu

Banned
How is halo too hard for today's randoms when all we complain about is lowering the skill gap?

Do you people read what you write?

JDHarbs

How is halo too hard for today's randoms when all we complain about is lowering the skill gap?

Do you people read what you write?
Casuals complain b/c its not as easy as CoD, and we complain b/c its not as hard as Halo 1-3. That's what happens when you make a CoD/Halo hybrid game like Halo 4.

Booshka

All those dumb as fuck frat boy randies are playing MOBA's like LoL and Dota 2, both of which are infinitely more complex and challenging than Halo.

Poor argument.

Madness

I'm just wondering based on that UU list, wtf happened to Madden. I mean NBA and Soccer have surpassed it.

I just hate that EA isn't making the next NHL game using their ignite engine.

FIFA 14 should be amazing though to play.

To a certain degree..
I feel like MS is screwed with the Halo license because Halo is so important to the company (from a $$$ perspective)

Games that complement the main line work (ODST best example)
I just wonder if they will ever want to make a Halo game with a heavy MP component that isnt in the main line

Halo could easily be themed into
  • FTP Shooter
  • Third Person Squad Shooter
  • FPS RPG
  • Halo Wars 2
But I wonder if they are ever afraid of spreading the 'Halo Magic' too thin outside of the main releases, and with Halo MP population slipping as it is, I don't think they want to lose players not just to Battlefield and COD, but to other iterations of Halo.

Whatever reasons be, I hope in the next gen, Halo as a brand, and 343 find great partners to bring new genres into Halo Universe, because I gotta admit, Id play just about any Halo: (Insert Popular Game Here)

I feel like Sony is lucky, they can have all the FTP shooters on Playstation they want, because they dont have a "Halo" to sell from first party

100% agree. Halo has such a rich universe with unlimited potential for other types of games, so why should the fans be limited to only FPS Halo experiences.. especially when they're as controversial as Halo 4's launch?

Ugh, people talking about branching off Halo. First they got to make a good to amazing mainline Halo game. Not something that falls in the line of 'terrible-ok'.

This is not true at all and the proof is Halo Wars. This franchise is in dire need of something different than these FPS's we're getting.

A new, non-FPS Halo game has the potential to bring it new fans from other genres, thus popularizing Halo as a brand once again. Halo needs to be fresh in the minds of gamers, so only receiving these "stale" FPS games with populations that die quickly isn't doing the franchise justice.

Spartan Assault's creation was a positive thing, but it took 2 steps back when it was restricted to a few, less-than-optimal gaming platforms.

Madness

An ODST/Mass Effect spinoff.

Team Switchback is all former ODST's. A close relative of Tartarus is trying to reunite the Brutes and to strike back at both the Covenant and Humanity, and wants to use an abandoned Human planet to launch missiles at a neutral Elite planet and instigate war.

You are dropped into a large abandoned UNSC/One station that you can rebuild. Here is where you come back after missions, regroup with your team, rebuild the station, find out more about human, elite, brute history after Halo 3 event.

The planet was not glassed and features large diverse missions. Snow level, Jungle, Desert, abandoned large city, nighttime etc. You work as a team, can utilize strategy, after missions works sort of like Mass Effect in the sense you can have discussions. Maybe third person mode while in the station.

Comes with a new firefight mode that works also like Dominion/Tower Defense. You need to rebuild turrets or shield doors, build up snipe towers after rounds etc. As the waves progress, the harder it gets etc.

Wrong. What's the one reason Halo 4 isn't played much like Reach before it? The fans don't like it. Fuck everyone else. You make the fans happy first.

People always say Call of Duty doesn't change, Call of Duty is stale, it's the same shit over and over. And yet that's what their fans want. And it sells like hotcakes.

If they release Halo 5 and it plays like CE/2/possibly 3, then you've made a lot of fans happy, they in turn will play for longer than a few months, they'll make videos again, montages, they'll play it on pro circuits, they'll play with their friends etc.

Close to 12+ million played Halo 4, probably more than 7 million copies of the game were sold and yet less than 25 thousand play the game regularly still. It's behind three shooters, two of which are nearly 2 years old. This is the main Xbox game, the game that sold consoles like crazy and it's an almost ran on a console it created.

agyvnbx_460sa.gif

Lol no, COD always do changes no matter happens maybe its something very bad but the fanbase returns because it actually changes the gameplay according to the comunity feedback even adds a impressive marketing and real tournaments.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Any of you that have a gaming computer, go and buy Chivalry right now. It's so good. 64 player medieval battles are insane.

Ramirez

play more and get good until it is fun. Or just wait until Halo is good again. Both options will probably take the same amount of time, so pick your poison.

You pegged it pretty well, it's a dumb fun distraction.

I think it might be time to try and learn DotA 2.

Booshka

You pegged it pretty well, it's a dumb fun distraction.

I think it might be time to try and learn DotA 2.

feeling the same way, I want to be good and invested at a game that doesn't insult my intelligence. I just wish I was better at M+KB so that wasn't another barrier to entry on top of the near impenetrable mechanics and options of Dota 2. I can try though.

Wish Halo was still the shit and the game to play so I could just be getting better at console shooter and regale tales of donging to HaloGAF. Instead I am debating playing some hardcore MOBA and fast-tracking my way to carpal tunnel.

Defect

http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/agyvnbx_460sa.gif[IMG]

Lol no, COD always do changes no matter happens maybe its something very bad but the fanbase returns because it actually changes the gameplay according to the comunity feedback even adds a impressive marketing and real tournaments.[/QUOTE]

The fuck did I read?

Madness

I wonder how many fat racists play Halo judging by the shit kids say sometimes over XBL.

That said, this was expected. Been following the case for a while, the evidence just wasn't there. Only two eyewitnesses who weren't sure what they saw, some 911 recordings, a call to a girl in Miami and the circumstances regarding the shooting ie. Injuries to Zimmerman, abrasions on Trayvon's knuckles etc.

Only two people know what happened that night. One is dead and buried, the other was just found not guilty.

It all could have been avoided though if Zimmerman just didn't follow him and trail him like he was a criminal. Just sad all around.

Booshka

It kind of boggles my mind that people are getting that worked up about it. "Shit" happens, who cares. You'll probably forget it ever affected you in like 3 days.

With that mindset, none of us should even be posting in this thread or about video games in general.

Even if it doesn't affect you directly, it still has lasting repercussions. I live in SoCal, so the riots caused by the Rodney King verdict and the Watts riots before it still have deep roots in the community.

Pretty ignorant for you to say that it doesn't matter, The Pit being remade in Halo 4 is far more irrelevant to me than this ruling which actually affects people and their emotions.

Booshka

Remember you're talking to a guy who mods wheelchairs into Halo games.

Brilliant idea, one of the DLC perks should just be a Wheelchair perk.

Halo at its most accessible, casual level. We want everyone to play our game so we made it as easy as possible. Why the fuck is no one playing our game? I dunno, make another one and throw millions of marketing dollars behind its generic Campaign and sell a shit ton first month. The kind of sale worthy of press releases, who cares about the lasting population, we're already working on the next game while we outsource DLC.

It kind of boggles my mind that people are getting that worked up about it. "Shit" happens, who cares. You'll probably forget it ever affected you in like 3 days.
You know you could've said "Out of sight out of mind" instead of your choice of wording.

Anyways, when will we get a trailer for the Halo Tv Series?!?! I needz ma fix!

m23

I doubt we'll see anything on that Halo TV series this year, if anything, it will be used to build up hype for Halo 5.

Top Bottom