• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistel

Banned
Absolutely. It was so not the game I wanted to play, that now I'll most likely wait to hear GAF impressions before buying the game.

Though a beta would be really nice.

It would be nice to have a beta of the matchmaking especially if changes made in 4 are anything to go by.

Yea that too I guess. Although tons of people kept saying "The core gameplay is good!" Even when Team Throwdown came out with mostly core gameplay nobody played. So was the core gameplay good?

Will we get good settings from the start? Who knows.
Throwdown came too late for mediocre players like me to find decent games. It was easily the most enjoyable setting that resembled the Halo gameplay that I wanted from the start.

Fuchsdh

3. Specific achievements for speedrunning the campaign.

Why would you want to incentivize that with an achievement? It strikes me as killing some of the organic nature of the community.

Yo dat PlayStation Now!

Sounds rather wonky and unlikely to work that well to me. I do hope that pushes Microsoft to keep up the trend of integrating purchases and access across devices, though. Spartan Assault was a baby step in the direction it should be heading.

Karl2177

Why would you want to incentivize that with an achievement? It strikes me as killing some of the organic nature of the community.

It could be something as simple as "Complete the campaign in under 4 hours". Why do that? Because the people that can't do it naturally might join a speedrunning group to get the achievement, and they might enjoy the community too.

Just fan service. I don't know about this organic nature whatever you speak of lol. That's weird. Players look at any game and say "I enjoy this game I wanna see how fast I can do it"

Havok

One of the primary use cases for achievements is to gently push players towards features they might not otherwise look at. Bungie did it with Campaign Scoring, Commendations, and File Share (the latter of which 343 continued to push via the Sharing is Caring achievement), why not direct players towards a community that most people don't know exist? Putting a spotlight on something people have been doing forever isn't going to make it any less organic, it'll just give them more exposure and maybe rekindle interest in a community that hasn't gotten a lot of love lately. The people with imagination and talent will still rise to the top, but maybe they'll have a bigger audience to pull from.

Sounds rather wonky and unlikely to work that well to me. I do hope that pushes Microsoft to keep up the trend of integrating purchases and access across devices, though. Spartan Assault was a baby step in the direction it should be heading.
There's no reason a streaming service can't work. OnLive worked well enough when I tried it (though Frontlines: Fuel of War wasn't exactly enough to get me to bite past the trial), and that was years and years ago - tech on both the provider end and on the consumer end has probably improved pretty dramatically since then. OnLive's issue always seemed to be funding and exposure, not necessarily the tech behind it. A first party platform pushing it has a much better chance of getting subscription money than some obscure third party.

Re: integrated purchases - Cross-Buy on Sony platforms has been a big initiative for the last couple of years. Seeing Microsoft step a bit towards that with Spartan Assault, but then immediately take two steps back by doubling the price...yeah, baby step is the right term.

wwm0nkey

...how does it sound wonky already to you? Gakai was the only game streaming thing that actually worked really well unlike that POS Onlive.

But yeah this and their cloud cable service are going to cause good competition while also making the Vita TV make A LOT more sense.

Nowise10

...Pretty sure Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary had two speedrunning achievements. Finish The Silent Cartographer in 15(?) minutes on Legendary, and finish The Library on legendary in less then 30(?) minutes.
Also, if you count Halo 3's campaign achievements that you need to get certain scores on every mission. Most missions, getting the time boost would triple or double your score, and would be needed to win so you had to go fast also.

What they shouldn't do is, "Complete the campaign in one sitting in 4 hours or less", which I know they wouldn't, Halo usually has easy achievements, but they should through some challenging ones into the next game. I like those ones.

TheOddOne

PS4 ahead of the Xbox One by 1.2 million, time to drop those Halo bombs Frankie.
PS4 is availible in 53* countries = 4.2 million.

Xbox One is available in 13 countries = 3.0 million.

bugsjpg.png

Hey on the plus side no matter what side people chose here no one has gotten this crazy, not even Speedy

O97vSgi.png
God damn it. I agree with him. :(

#BadOpinionTrain

neither Sony or Microsoft have enough exclusive games to make me want to pay extra money to stream games, with bad input lag most likely.

I hope they let users just pay to stream single games. I only care about Crash and The Last of Us. No other Sony games interest me. Although, if they allow third party games, then damnnnnnn.

Streaming Nintendo 64/Gamecube games though, <3. So many first party games I want.

wwm0nkey

God damn it. I agree with him. :(

#BadOpinionTrain

neither Sony or Microsoft have enough exclusive games to make me want to pay extra money to stream games, with bad input lag most likely.

I hope they let users just pay to stream single games. I only care about Crash and The Last of Us. No other Sony games interest me. Although, if they allow third larry games, then damnnnnnn.

Pretty sure its anyone who wants on the service, like Gakai was and how Onlive was too. So I will probably no longer have to buy a PS3 to play Persona 5 or the Kingdom Hearts remix's either which is amazing for me :)

Also if Microsoft did this for Windows 8 and Xbox One for 360 and OG Xbox Titles? I would be in for that too.

Mistel

Banned
...Pretty sure Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary had two speedrunning achievements. Finish The Silent Cartographer in 15(?) minutes on Legendary, and finish The Library on legendary in less then 30(?) minutes.
Anniversary had the on for the library, in less that 30 miuntes on heroic and the breaking quarantine one for getting out of the containment facility in less that 21 minutes. Nice achievements like that or give you a specific thing to do like If you came to hear me beg, would certainly add some longevity to the game.

Anniversary had the on for the library, in less that 30 miuntes on heroic and the breaking quarantine one for getting out of the containment facility in less that 21 minutes. Nice achievements like that or give you a specific thing to do like If you came to hear me beg, would certainly add some longevity to the game.

That damn Elite was programmed to screw people out of that achievement lol.

HaloClassic Covenant
That is good. there's actual diversity.

Both of the system's sales numbers are impressive to me and make me happy. I'll be honest and say I didn't expect either of them to sell as well as they're selling.

I don't see why some people at gaming side are using the 1.2 million gap as a weapon against Microsoft right now. PS4 was always destined to do better the first year just because of price alone. $399 vs $499, Microsoft manages to slip by budget for most families. $399 is still a lot of money, but still, it's less. $100 less, a week headstart, and launching in about 40 more countries pretty much guaranteed that Sony would outsell Microsoft at first. A 1.2 million gap is actually not so bad, consider many expected it to completely dominate. Anyways, Sony's success is not Microsoft's failure.

3 million is an incredible number and so is 4.2 million. It's so great that the adoption rate is so high, it benefits everyone for Next Gen to not be a second though to most publishers. Sony and Microsoft have both done great jobs.

wwm0nkey

Both are doing good and both are doing things that are pushing the other. Thats about all I got.

Now Sony just needs to announce Vita TV for the US with the cloud TV service because that just makes too much sense now and will actually push the vita a bit.

Wake me when they announced PS3 games on the PS4

I mean....thats kinda what this is.

IHaveIce

Banned
That was not the point I was making. The PS4 would have always sold more because it was available in more countries, so that gap is fascinating to see.

I knew what you meant, but the markets it released where the xbox isn'T already aren't that "big in gaming".

And the PS4 would probably have the 5 million if there would have been enough in Europe.

Mabef

Banned
Also, if you count Halo 3's campaign achievements that you need to get certain scores on every mission. Most missions, getting the time boost would triple or double your score, and would be needed to win so you had to go fast also.

What they shouldn't do is, "Complete the campaign in one sitting in 4 hours or less", which I know they wouldn't, Halo usually has easy achievements, but they should through some challenging ones into the next game. I like those ones.
I'm one of those weirdos who really enjoyed getting the score achievement for the flood level in H3 (Cortana?). Fun level to beat on solo legendary, too. Lots of rafters and lumpy walls to jump past enemies.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Hey on the plus side no matter what side people chose here no one has gotten this crazy, not even Speedy

O97vSgi.png
What a doofus. Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo all have more than a worthy number of games to stream.
Both of the system's sales numbers are impressive to me and make me happy. I'll be honest and say I didn't expect either of them to sell as well as they're selling.

I don't see why some people at gaming side are using the 1.2 million gap as a weapon against Microsoft right now. PS4 was always destined to do better the first year just because of price alone. $399 vs $499, Microsoft manages to slip by budget for most families. $399 is still a lot of money, but still, it's less. $100 less, a week headstart, and launching in about 40 more countries pretty much guaranteed that Sony would outsell Microsoft at first. A 1.2 million gap is actually not so bad, consider many expected it to completely dominate. Anyways, Sony's success is not Microsoft's failure.

3 million is an incredible number and so is 4.2 million. It's so great that the adoption rate is so high, it benefits everyone for Next Gen to not be a second though to most publishers. Sony and Microsoft have both done great jobs.
The PS4 is performing better for a variety of reasons (price and post E3 goodwill, to name a couple). However, launch numbers only get you so far.

What I like is that now Microsoft can no longer cruise and stay at the top; just look at what they've put out for the last few years to 2014. Halo is no longer at the top, and Gears is apparently on the back burner. Pumping out sequels and Kinect shovelware isn't working anymore. We're already seeing more creativity and IPs from them, i.e. Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Titanfall, etc. Sony's getting stuff done too with their new IPs in Deep Down and The Order. Competition is great for us.

Mistel

Banned
That damn Elite was programmed to screw people out of that achievement lol.
I did this instead of the cliff one it easier for me.
I'm one of those weirdos who really enjoyed getting the score achievement for the flood level in H3 (Cortana?). Fun level to beat on solo legendary, too. Lots of rafters and lumpy walls to jump past enemies.
tumblr_mdga5pj7gK1r0zfir.gif

:p
Cortana was the worst halo 3 level for me cool idea, but in execution no so much mainly due to ranged pure forms, sitting out of range of the weapons available in the area.

Alien isolation looks great to me.

Nowise10

All I can say about the Xbox One is it will remain bad until they fix the absolute junk party and game invite system. It is so frustrating to get into a simple lobby with my friends, its outrageous.

I do like voice commands though, and the UI is pretty.

TheOddOne

I knew what you meant, but the markets it released where the xbox isn'T already aren't that "big in gaming".

And the PS4 would probably have the 5 million if there would have been enough in Europe.
Consider this: while PS3 dominated much of Europe, 360 was usually not that far behind in individual countries.

Those numbers do add up for both parties.

All I can say about the Xbox One is it will remain bad until they fix the absolute junk party and game invite system. It is so frustrating to get into a simple lobby with my friends, its outrageous.

I do like voice commands though, and the UI is pretty.

what you mean fix,that is how they intended for it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom