• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadNames

Banned
Marcellus Wallace worked on Halo 4 animations?

Why does the lighting and all of that look so much more polished in that animation reel? It's especially evident on the storm rifle. I know I've said I want more armor finishes in the future, but seeing everything all "matte" like that was actually kind of charming. I guess Halo 4 made everything look like it was covered in vaseline, though.

Yup. Also, were those animations used? Like the ones where Chief checks out the Sticky Det? And the one where he spins the thing on the Storm Rifle?

I have a request for PS4 Gaf.. Can you guys recommend me some good games that aren't Battlefield? How is Killzone?

Fracas

#fuckonami
Yup. Also, were those animations used? Like the ones where Chief checks out the Sticky Det? And the one where he spins the thing on the Storm Rifle?

I have a request for PS4 Gaf.. Can you guys recommend me some good games that aren't Battlefield? How is Killzone?

Aside from Resogun and Contrast from PS Plus, Knack is worth checking out. Killzone is solid enough. I don't play much MP anymore but campaign was a solid romp. There's a pretty active GAF OT for multiplayer if I remember right.

Looking at multiplats, people seem to like NFS quite a bit. I'm not a huge fan of ACIV but reception from others has been good.

HTupolev

You know. The one thing that was pretty damn good in Halo 4 was the animation. You have to admit that even if you hate it. That video shows why too.
It's hard to deny that the animation system is technically impressive.

However, IMO the video doesn't demonstrate that the animation is good at all. It looks cool in a Youtube demo video, but in-game it's messy and overwrought. Stuff that shouldn't stick out does, and stuff that would be useful feedback for the player is "subtle."

Probably one of the things they did to improve the campaign performance, a lot of trickery was used to get it look better the low poly weapons are an example.
That's not much of a suggestion, as games in general never use what some artists would consider "high poly" models. It depends what you're comparing it to.

There are some details which don't get the same polygon quality that similar details do in Reach, though there are other sorts of details where it's the other way around.

Mistel

Banned
That's not much of a suggestion, as games in general never use what some artists would consider "high poly" models. It depends what you're comparing it to.

There are some details which don't get the same polygon quality that similar details do in Reach, though there are other sorts of details where it's the other way around.

One of the aspects where four was a step back was the skyboxes reach, had some beautiful ones like on tip of the spear and New Alexandria. I remember the low poly models from them like falcon's and scarab's.

Fuchsdh

It's hard to deny that the animation system is technically impressive.

However, IMO the video doesn't demonstrate that the animation is good at all. It looks cool in a Youtube demo video, but in-game it's messy and overwrought. Stuff that shouldn't stick out does, and stuff that would be useful feedback for the player is "subtle."

Yeah games like 4 and Reach drop to very blocky low poly stuff for LOD rendering by the high res stuff is still not the same as the high res renders these people put in their portfolios with millions of quads or whatever.

I think I prefer the LoD rendering in Halo 4 more than Reach's personally, although I think the actual distance for dropping the detail is lower in 4 so you notice it much more especially in splitscreen and theater.

I do agree the 3 jurassic park film is awful though not even stuff to gif apart from that fight.

eh

iMQigCwbu94TO.gif

but seriously, the movie is shit.

WE IS MY CHILD!? WHERE IS HE!?

_1449057_jurassic_tea150.jpg

IS THAT A T REX?
NO.itsoundsbigger.
WTF.

WTF happened to the boat at the beginning. AHHH fuck that movie.

Dat Halo 4 Animation
The FOV in H4 would of been even better in SP if they toned down the amount of detail on to the HUD Imo.

Yeah, this just reminded me how good the animations in Halo 4 are.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Yeah games like 4 and Reach drop to very blocky low poly stuff for LOD rendering by the high res stuff is still not the same as the high res renders these people put in their portfolios with millions of quads or whatever.

I think I prefer the LoD rendering in Halo 4 more than Reach's personally, although I think the actual distance for dropping the detail is lower in 4 so you notice it much more especially in splitscreen and theater.

Yep, we can render out small scenes at much higher LOD and poly counts for stuff like animation reels or reference shots. That is also one of the reasons in engine cinematics tend to look a bit better than actual gameplay - because you can simply devote more of the available resources to that scene.

Next version of the engine will be pretty radically overhauled, and the 4 engine was a significant shift in itself.

daedalius

Yep, we can render out small scenes at much higher LOD and poly counts for stuff like animation reels or reference shots. That is also one of the reasons in engine cinematics tend to look a bit better than actual gameplay - because you can simply devote more of the available resources to that scene.

Next version of the engine will be pretty radically overhauled, and the 4 engine was a significant shift in itself.

Woohoo! Crossing fingers for the netcode not to poop itself when there are projectiles.

Mistel

Banned
buuuttttt hooowww
I know right how anyone likes the 3rd is beyond me such a stupid plot. Oh and you missed my post about the stupidity of the fight scene.

Studies performed on the spinosaurid Baryonx suggest that they consumed fish and small vertebrates, this one based on isotope analysis suggests that spinosaurus was semi aquatic. Not to mention that these where much heavier than a T-rex (estimates of roughly 20 tons).

It should be interesting to see what you guys to with the Xbox One. You guys cranked a shitload of power out of the 360, and though this is the first full-blown Halo game, I'm excited to see the bigger set-pieces and other graphical improvements you guys make.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I really liked the story and voice acting though. Got somewhat tedious by the end but I really liked it. At one part, I was so invested and got upset at something that happened that I just turned the system off lol.

Downloaded their Wolf Among Us, free episode, hopefully it plays better. I can't wait to see what their Game of Thrones version will be like. I finished the first book within a day, will aim to finish all of them within a week, not really busy till the 5th of Jan as it is.

I'd kill for that kind of attention span. I'd love to read the GoT books (at least catch up before season 4 starts), but dat book length...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
He wanted to know if reverse engineering done by the covenant, they mucked up some how instead of hard light they got plasma instead. Something to do with heat calibration being wrong.

Covenant reverse engineering can not adequately or reliably give photons massy properties or control them. But as you say they can create shaped plasma as a result of their current understanding of Forerunner (and some of their own) tech.

And in the next 3 years after finishing the start of this project the next Halo will be made using space magic and Xbone secret sauce.

Curious to see if the animation assassinations issues effecting theater mode for Campaign will be solved in this coming installment, Frankie.

Mistel

Banned
Covenant reverse engineering can not adequately or reliably give photons massy properties or control them. But as you say they can create shaped plasma as a result of their current understanding of Forerunner (and some of their own) tech.
The focus rifle is most likely the closet replication of something, the overheating is due to the technological limits of their ability.

Slightly off topic but I'm thinking of adding a few Halo titles to my ever growing collection of video game artbooks. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding the large number of Halo books out there? I'm currently debating between:

Halo Encyclopedia: The Definitive Guide to the Halo Universe
Halo: The Essential Visual Guide
Halo: The Art of Building Worlds
Awakening: The Art of Halo 4

Thanks

Ramirez

Slightly off topic but I'm thinking of adding a few Halo titles to my ever growing collection of video game artbooks. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding the large number of Halo books out there? I'm currently debating between:

Thanks

Slightly OT? This is one of the few on topic comments this thread will receive!

I have the first 3 of those, they're ok. Look at them once and then they sit on a shelf.

Mistel

Banned

Thanks
I suggest the art of building worlds or awakening myself the encyclopedia stuff is on the internet.

daedalius

Thanks

I have all of them, and if you mean the essential visual guide to Halo 4, I'd say its easily the weakest among that list.

Awakening and Art of building worlds have the most 'art', the encyclopedia has a lot more renders of stuff out of the games.

Fuchsdh

buuuttttt hooowww

To me The Lost World started with a visual they wanted--T. rex ripping through San Diego--and then worked backwards from there. The animal rights stuff was weak and sloppy; I certainly didn't care for any of the "good" guys. It's not that surprising, I guess, since The Lost World the novel was even worse (the idea of the camouflaged carnosaurs would have been interesting to see Spielberg handle.) I guess that's it, right there--it didn't really feel as much like a Spielberg film. The sense of adventure the first film had was lost.

The third film had some plenty stupid stuff in it (like that the velociraptors would let them go, the use of the spinosaurus in general as a new "big bad" when it was unnecessary) but it felt a lot more like the first film in terms of some really great action sequences (discovering the raptors, the Peter Pan-inspired trip down the river, and the aviary) and less painful characters.

The second one has some gif worthy stuff that isn't that bad, the third one is just a write off apart from a from a few scenes.

It had Laura Dern that should boost it higher than JP2 for you alone :p

Thanks

I'd say it depends on whether you're mostly interested in the art or the fiction. As a fiction-head myself I'd go with the first three. The fourth is nice but mostly just pretty pictures. Keep in mind that the Halo Essential Visual Guide is slightly superseded by the Halo 4 Visual Guide, and the Halo Encyclopedia needs a 3rd edition sometime soon to deal with all the updated info (it's up to date as of Reach with the 2nd edition.)

I'd say it depends on whether you're mostly interested in the art or the fiction. As a fiction-head myself I'd go with the first three. The fourth is nice but mostly just pretty pictures. Keep in mind that the Halo Essential Visual Guide is slightly superseded by the Halo 4 Visual Guide, and the Halo Encyclopedia needs a 3rd edition sometime soon to deal with all the updated info (it's up to date as of Reach with the 2nd edition.)

I have all of them, and if you mean the essential visual guide to Halo 4, I'd say its easily the weakest among that list.

Awakening and Art of building worlds have the most 'art', the encyclopedia has a lot more renders of stuff out of the games.

I suggest the art of building worlds or awakening myself the encyclopedia stuff is on the internet.

Slightly OT? This is one of the few on topic comments this thread will receive!

I have the first 3 of those, they're ok. Look at them once and then they sit on a shelf.

Thanks for the insight everyone. I'm probably going to scoop up the Encyclopedia, Art of Building Worlds and Awakening, Art of Halo 4.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I remember winning that back when I was a filthy casual with a .3 K/D. Now I'm a filthy casual with a .96 K/D.

BS Angel gave all the past winners codes for the Castle map pack a couple days early, so that was cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom