• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Let's not put Last Resort, Snowbound, and Isolation on some pedestal.

Im not sure what you are getting at here, every Halo game has had a mix of some good and some bad maps. Are you trying to argue that Reach has better maps than Halo 3 or something? Sure 80% of the maps in both games are mediocre, but at least Halo 3 had some gems. I would argue that a large chunk of the maps on all Halo games suck but every game except Reach has had some maps worth remaking.

The vast majority of ALL Halo 4 maps will be new.
I think I may love you a little bit more.

Developing guaranteed good maps is a waste of time to you?

Remaking old maps and making new map aren't mutually exclusive bro.
How can you possibly guarantee how well the map will play with the difference in games? Is Halo 4 going to play like Halo 2, or CE, or even 3? Ivory Tower was a great map in Halo 2, but Armor Abilities and the terrible grenade-grabbing floor in Reach make Reflection disappointing at best. I won't even go into the forged remakes, because it's apparent that those should have never been included as on-disc maps. That should have been left to the community, plain and simple.

Guardian is still a bad Lockout.
I thought that was Blackout? ;-)

Gazzawa

If I see shield doors in Halo 4 I'm gonna be so fuckin mad.

Snowbound exact replica confirmed.
Would love another Highground. Hated it initially but its really a varied map(strategy-wise). Except if you spawn on the beach and don't get rockets or snipe lol. Dat mad dash to get overshield.

Magni

My list of awesome maps from each game (only talking about 4v4 here, not BTB)

Halo 1: Chill Out, Damnation, Hang 'Em High, Derelict

Halo 2: Lockout, Midship, Sanctuary, Warlock, Beaver Creek

Halo 3: The Pit, Citadel (so underrated)

Reach: Countdown ? (lol)

Lockout, Derelict and HEH were never remade to their original glory, while Beaver Creek and Warlock were good improvements over Battle Creek and Wizard.

I'm hoping for a massive number of maps on launch and a lot of DLC support down the road so that we can have both new maps and remakes of classics. I'm just hoping if/when we do get remakes they're more along the lines of (whatver Midship's remake was called, I've got a complete brainfuck right now) and not of Blackout.

I thought that was Blackout? ;-)

Guardian is a poor man's Lockout, Blackout is.. I can't even describe how much of a disappointment it was.

Sure they can. They just have to be careful with what changes they do. For Halo 1 > 2 they brought in several remakes, and they all worked out well. Those changes were completely necessary. Then you have remakes like Last Resort and Blackout, noticeable changes were made, and not for the better.
True. I was just thinking along the lines that when you do remakes, you can only pick a couple to remake. And so one person will be thrilled that their favorite map is being remade while the next is jaded that it happened to be their least favorite. Then you have the endless debates about which map is the better version. I'm not saying remakes can't be good and fun. I'm just up for doing new maps all around this time. My all-time favorite remake is Warlock. Loved that map.

I'm hoping for a massive number of maps on launch and a lot of DLC support down the road so that we can have both new maps and remakes of classics. I'm just hoping if/when we do get remakes they're more along the lines of (whatver Midship's remake was called, I've got a complete brainfuck right now) and not of Blackout.
Heretic. I'm to the point where if 343 put out a 3-4 hour campaign, but twice as many or more matchmaking maps than normal on release, I would be very happy.

Ramirez

ibwPR3z9Xb7gHU.gif

LOL, exactly what I was thinking...Reach's "best" are still piss poor terrible.

Also, Devo, big LOL to all of the GAF virgins in that airline thread thinking a 2 year old is capable of rational thought and can be quieted easily, HEH. Bad parents!

Just upgrade Forge as much as possible and leave the remakes to the fans.

Don't be afraid to incorporate the good ones into matchmaking. Why are we still playing on Uncaged when Eclipse (Lockout) was good enough to make it into Team Classic?

I'm still disappointed there is no playlist with Anniversary Classic gametypes on Reflection, Asylum, and Pinnacle. Or even Eclipse, Magus, Rat Trap, Dreadnought, Prophet, etc.

Don't be afraid to incorporate the good ones into matchmaking. Why are we still playing on Uncaged when Eclipse (Lockout) was good enough to make it into Team Classic?

I'm still disappointed there is no playlist with Anniversary Classic gametypes on Reflection, Asylum, and Pinnacle. Or even Eclipse, Magus, Rat Trap, Dreadnought, Prophet, etc.
They can't put forge world in the playlist without requiring it.

TheOddOne

This man reads my thoughts.

Hire Duncan.

Magni

Forge would have to be MASSIVELY upgraded for me to be content with Forge remakes instead of work made by professionals with professional tools.

They can't put forge world in the playlist without requiring it.

Massive fuckup on their part to not have all Reach MP on CEA like what happened with ODST.

Reach's gameplay elements mark the biggest jump from any other Halo game. I would say more so than the Halo 1 to Halo 2 jump. The addition of armor abilities made Bungie rethink the way they designed their maps. That's my opinion on the whole thing. They also made a lot more one/two purpose maps opposed to maps that can serve many purposes(eg boardwalk/spire only good for invasion). That's fine and it shows that they loved the playlist enough to give it some dedicated maps but it resulted in less maps for the competitive users to enjoy :(

Magni

All this talk of using Forge for remakes has made me think about how much Bungie relied on the community to provide content and how it had far from perfect results.

I love the fact that you can customize so much in the settings, and that we have Forge (though a real editor à la FarCry would be orgasmic). These two things have produced a heap of new ways to play Halo (Grifball being the most obvious example). Yet I feel like Bungie used those two things as excuses to botch the classic competitive (not necessarily MLG competitive, I'm using competitive here to distinguish from Actionsack style gametypes) experience.

Compare default settings/maps from CE to Reach with the respective MLG counterparts. A casual Halo player back in CE or H2 could play MLG settings without being lost, could watch the pros duke it out and understand what is going on.

But since Halo 3, and especially now with Reach, MLG has become a game within the game, something completely foreign and scary to the average player. Add the fact that so many of the maps are visually awful (compare Halo 2 Sanctuary with Reach "Sanctuary", Halo 2 Midship with Halo 3 Onslaught) due to having to rely on Forge and you understand why Halo has dropped off in popularity in the MLG community (Reach's paltry numbers don't help of course).

I'm not asking for 343i to make default H4 be MLG approved and for the rest of the Halo community to have to play to MLG rules, I just want them to reverse the trend and make Halo 4 more competitive out of the box, to not use Forge and Custom Game Settings as a crutch when designing the competitive MP ("oh, well they can just fix it themselves").

CyReN

All this talk of using Forge for remakes has made me think about how much Bungie relied on the community to provide content and how it had far from perfect results.

I love the fact that you can customize so much in the settings, and that we have Forge (though a real editor à la FarCry would be orgasmic). These two things have produced a heap of new ways to play Halo (Grifball being the most obvious example). Yet I feel like Bungie used those two things as excuses to botch the classic competitive (not necessarily MLG competitive, I'm using competitive here to distinguish from Actionsack style gametypes) experience.

Compare default settings/maps from CE to Reach with the respective MLG counterparts. A casual Halo player back in CE or H2 could play MLG settings without being lost, could watch the pros duke it out and understand what is going on.

But since Halo 3, and especially now with Reach, MLG has become a game within the game, something completely foreign and scary to the average player. Add the fact that so many of the maps are visually awful (compare Halo 2 Sanctuary with Reach "Sanctuary", Halo 2 Midship with Halo 3 Onslaught) due to having to rely on Forge and you understand why Halo has dropped off in popularity in the MLG community (Reach's paltry numbers don't help of course).

I'm not asking for 343i to make default H4 be MLG approved and for the rest of the Halo community to have to play to MLG rules, I just want them to reverse the trend and make Halo 4 more competitive out of the box, to not use Forge and Custom Game Settings as a crutch.

MLG a small part of the Halo community though, even with that said MLG last thoughts are on Halo 4 unless it has Starcraft in the title.

Magni

MLG a small part of the Halo community though, even with that said MLG last thoughts are on Halo 4 unless it has Starcraft in the title.

I realize that, I just feel like that doesn't mean the game should be "casualized" more and more with each iteration. Just imagine if Halo 3 had 110% speed as default and BR starts in Team Slayer as default from Day 1. MLG Halo 3 was much more than just that, but even those two changes (making the game go faster, and having a non-automatic headshot capable default weapon) would have made the game much more competitive without only catering to the ultra hardcore MLG crowd.

For example, for launch Team Slayer in Halo 4, we could have two options "Team Slayer - AR/Pistol/Radar" and "Team Slayer Pro - BR/Pistol/No-Radar". (IIRC, Halo 3 TS at launch was AR starts (no Pistol secondary, that happened after a lot of begging in Optimatch) and Shotty/Snipes).

Kuroyume

Banned
LOL, exactly what I was thinking...Reach's "best" are still piss poor terrible.

Also, Devo, big LOL to all of the GAF virgins in that airline thread thinking a 2 year old is capable of rational thought and can be quieted easily, HEH. Bad parents!

It's called Nyquil.

I realize that, I just feel like that doesn't mean the game should be "casualized" more and more with each iteration. Just imagine if Halo 3 had 110% speed as default and BR starts in Team Slayer as default from Day 1. MLG Halo 3 was much more than just that, but even those two changes (making the game go faster, and having a non-automatic headshot capable default weapon) would have made the game much more competitive without only catering to the ultra hardcore MLG crowd.

For example, for launch Team Slayer in Halo 4, we could have two options "Team Slayer - AR/Pistol/Radar" and "Team Slayer Pro - BR/Pistol/No-Radar". (IIRC, Halo 3 TS at launch was AR starts (no Pistol secondary, that happened after a lot of begging in Optimatch) and Shotty/Snipes).

But AR was the perfect starting weapon tho.

Lone Wolf ending is the best Halo ending.

Yep.

Kuroyume

Banned
Oh, I actually thought the last levels to 1 and 3 were good. I've always felt it would be fine if they ended each game with some run on a vehicle to evacuate something as it's being destroyed. I actually want to see something like that happen again in 4. Seems like the best possible way to end an FPS. Better than a boss fight or Reach's final fight I would say. What I'm referring to with my previous comment are the story cinematics following those sequences. They've been very weak. I want to see some 20 minute long CG sequence like in a MGS or FF game with cool shit.

I haven't played ODST or Halo Wars yet (nor do I plan to ever) so I don't really have anything to say about those two.

CyReN

I remember the Halo 2 ending, thought I got a broken/glitched game or something until I looked it up on the internet.

I remember the Halo 2 ending, thought I got a broken/glitched game or something until I looked it up on the internet.
The Halo 2 ending is just a cliff-hangar but it is much better than ME3's ending. Hell I even liked Halo 2's ending. Without it I'd not have been that hyped for Halo 3.

Nutter

I don't understand, why Guardian over Midship?

Hell why Guardian over a whole bunch of other maps. Citadel was better than Guardian and it is really unfortunate the last map pack did not get the love it deserved.

Hey You

Save the remakes for Halo 6, and only remake the maps from 4 & 5.

I know I'm LTTP.

And you guys want Zealot remade? You say I have bad taste in maps...

Overdoziz

Banned
I don't understand, why Guardian over Midship?

Hell why Guardian over a whole bunch of other maps. Citadel was better than Guardian and it is really unfortunate the last map pack did not get the love it deserved.
Lockout = Midship > The Pit > Sanctuary > Beaver Creek > Citadel > Guardian

Something like this. (4v4 maps)

kylej

Banned
Lockout = Midship > The Pit > Sanctuary > Beaver Creek > Citadel > Guardian

Something like this. (4v4 maps)

swap Guardian and Citadel and I can dig this list. Guardian ball is epic shit. Citadel's alien art style thing is too dazzling and the little pillar things placed around the area above rockets are too big for the map. Decent symmetrical map though.

If I see shield doors in Halo 4 I'm gonna be so fuckin mad.

Im predicting a map made out of shield doors.

Has anyone else's xbox ever treated a game as if its a DVD? I think my Xbox is on the way out! At first I thought the disk was faulty but I had the issue after installation. So that seems unlikely? I suppose it could have been faulty enough to fail authentication. I am tempted to try and get Amazon to replace my copy of SSX but the effort required is too much if its not even a problem with the game. Thought I would check here first.

In my opinion:

Last normal level:
1. The Maw
2. Halo
3. The Great Journey
4. The Pillar of Autumn
5. Coastal Highway

Ending cutscene (Including anything post-credits):
1. Reach
2. Halo CE
3. Halo 3
4. Halo 2
5. ODST

The way ODST ended was really my biggest disappointment with that game, otherwise it was stellar.

When Halo 3's credits started I got angry. The scene after the credits made up for it.

Same with Reach; I was really disappointed when the credits started, but having learned my lesson from 3 I waited to see what the cutscene afterward would be like. I was pleasantly surprised by the awesomeness of Lone Wolf.

Top Bottom