• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

kylej

Banned
Because, like Devo said about the entire long-mid range beating the AR, if an entire team starts with BRs, the "scrubs", as you call them, will be demolished and be unhappy, saying it's not the arcadey game, Halo, they wanted to buy.

Though of course this skill disparity between teams wouldn't exist if the matchmaking system wasn't a giant broken piece of shit.

Why can't it just be BR/AR starts?

We've been asking this for more than half a decade now. Who knows. Too much sense I guess.

Because, like Devo said about the entire long-mid range beating the AR, if an entire team starts with BRs, the "scrubs", as you call them, will be demolished and be unhappy, saying it's not the arcadey game, Halo, they wanted to buy.

Ye're all too cut and dry, If Halo was being aimed at a smaller audience sure, but they kind of have to/choose to cater to all sides as best they can.

Every game they give into our side anyway and more playlists get added or tweaked to have the BR/DMR as the main weapon. It's easy to dumb a game down from a competitive start, it's near impossible to do the reverse. MLG tried with Reach but even long time competitive players could see big ass problems.

Ye're all too cut and dry, If Halo was being aimed at a smaller audience sure, but they kind of have to/choose to cater to all sides as best they can.

But what if true skill worked?

Then they can use ARs because they will be matched with other "scrubs" that can't aim the BR.

Bring Team Training back for all of the people who want to play with guests who spam ARs everywhere. It kept Halo 2 competitive. And from what I recall h2 didn't go beyond 10 playlists did it?

Though of course this skill disparity between teams wouldn't exist if the matchmaking system wasn't a giant broken piece of shit.
I was actually going to mention in my post that it matchmaking/truskill was the one thing they absolutely need to fix this time, but I'm glad I didn't have to.

GhaleonEB

True but if my team mates are dumb they won't know the diff.

That's a matchmaking problem. :p

I like spawning with a good short range weapon and a good long range one. Halo 3's AR gets shat upon a lot here, but knowing when to use it instead of a BR won me many a battle. I'll always prefer to spawn with to complimentary weapons rather than one all-dominating one.

Homeboyd

I want my AR to have 4 attachable scopes, grenade launcher attachment, headshot capable (w/ the right scope), multiple magazines w/ regular ammo and explosive ammo and various skins (FLAMEZ PLZ) I can use to customize my weapon to fit my super awesome personality. Can I also etch my initials in the side of the weapon?

blamite

Why are we assuming the BR will have no spread? The bulletin said no bloom, not no spread. I'll be really really surprised if spread is gone, considering the BR in the ViDoc had a pretty big reticle, and removing spread would just turn it into a laser pointer like the DMR.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I want my AR to have 4 attachable scopes, grenade launcher attachment, headshot capable (w/ the right scope), multiple magazines w/ regular ammo and explosive ammo and various skins (FLAMEZ PLZ) I can use to customize my weapon to fit my super awesome personality. Can I also etch my initials in the side of the weapon?

What about underslung shotguns/flamethrowers/bayonets? I wantz to deal mah destruction in every way possible.

kylej

Banned
I've found myself switching to the AR in close-range combat. I can't for the life of me land the killing headshot when my opponent is 20 feet away or closer.

Of course, everyone prefers using a close range weapon at close range. Imagine if you had a close range weapon for close range combat, and a long range weapon for long range combat every time you spawned.

Awful lot of silence from the 343 boys on talks of perks/armor abilities/whatever and AR starts.

Of course, everyone prefers using a close range weapon at close range. Imagine if you had a close range weapon for close range combat, and a long range weapon for long range combat every time you spawned.

Awful lot of silence from the 343 boys on talks of perks/armor abilities/whatever and AR starts.

Yeah not liking this. I know Frankie said not to worry but I still gotta see it for myself.

Whats the worst that would happen. Fyrewulff would stop playing Halo possibly become suicidal, and thousands more would go out and buy it seconds upon hearing the news... Makes perfect sense to me.

Overdoziz

Banned
It's interesting to see that HBO has pretty much the opposite reaction to the Bulletin. The normal people here complain about the fact that in one sentence BSAngel mentioned not spawning with a BR and on HBO people complain about how the Bulletin is so BR-centric and are afraid that their 'hold-trigger-and-win' weapon will become obsolete.

It's interesting to see that HBO has pretty much the opposite reaction to the Bulletin. The normal people here complain about the fact that in one sentence BSAngel mentioned not spawning with a BR and on HBO people complain about how the Bulletin is so BR-centric and are afraid that their 'hold-trigger-and-win' weapon will become obsolete.

It won't become obsolete if those people get shunted into proper playlists with each other. Just make a playlist called AR Heroes. Problem solved.

Different crowd. I dont want to call anyone out, but there seems to be a fair bit of competitive hate over there, a recent post is about how the game is going to cater for the MLG crowd have like 6 weapons, no automatics and be no fun. Thats pretty laughable, Halo 4 is certainly going to cater for the casuals.

I have seen an entire forum full of people (not HBO) who hate any form of competitive Halo and thing anyone who uses precision weapons is a tryhard who doesnt care about fun. I do hate that belief. I remember having a pretty stupid argument with a forum full of people clamoring for 100% AR starts. Incredible how 'elitist' some people are about the people they call elitist lol. I guess there was maybe 10 people max, but all the same, it was a skewed outlook for so many to have. I dont even mean about liking AR starts, I mean more about how they viewed anyone who did ever enjoy a more competitive side to the game.

Homeboyd

AllHaloMaps.jpg

o_O

Overdoziz

Banned
Different crowd. I dont want to call anyone out, but there seems to be a fair bit of competitive hate over there, a recent thread is all about how the game is going to cater for the MLG crowd have like 6 weapons, no automatics and be no fun. Thats pretty laughable, Halo 4 is certainly going to cater for the casuals.

I have seen entire forums full of people (not HBO) who hate any form of competitive Halo and thing anyone who uses precision weapons is a tryhard who doesnt care about fun. I do hate that belief. I remember having a pretty stupid argument with a forum full of people clamoring for 100% AR starts. Incredible how 'elitist' some people are about the people they call elitist lol.

HBO said:
Never let pro gamers design your game, or let their opinions be the basis of a game's design. You only need to look at the MLG playlist to see how Halo would be if they had their way. "Only six weapons, none of which are automatics?! Yay! Screw fun! Exalt skill and competition!" *facepalm*

smh

Where are all the glorious Forge maps?

senador

Banned
I have lots of thoughts about AR and BR for Halo 4 and in general. Its such a tricky thing to get right, regardless of how easy everyone here seems to think it is. Its not as simple as "just spawn with both". Both would have to be pretty balanced with each other and/or matchmaking really tight to ensure you play against the proper skill group. Neither are exactly easy to do. A skilled BR person will usually beat on an AR user, leaving AR user sad. To balance that you either make AR better or BR worse, which leaves BR user angry. Its not as simple as that though, and I believe they could actually balance both to be effective and liked, but its a fine line and would be quite tricky to do. There's also the matter of "adapt" but let's be real here, many people won't do that, and they shouldn't necessarily half to. They bought the game too and should be able to have fun too.

Which leads me back to matchmaking. Hopefully it works well enough and the 2 guns are balanced just enough that together they work out. I'd like matchmaking to still be fast, but to also better match skills. That's not exactly the easiest thing to do either. Hopefully they'll have focused playlists and game types so that it makes matchmaking more effective. I have hopes they'll pull this all off, but I also know its tricky.

daedalius

I don't know. Maybe it was the magnetism, visual look and sound?
I just do.

I'd go so far as to say the H2 BR probably sounds better than the H3 BR.

However, the magenetism on the H2 BR was a bit too high.

I PMd you Fronk, you shouldn't ignore it like you most likely ignore the rest of neogaf :p promises were made...

Top Bottom