• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Karl2177

They said a lot that they are going to manipulate the recording stuff (make it slower etc). How should you get an real impression of it when you have not heard the final version?

I'm gonna bold the key word there. They should be making an impression on me from the first song and continuing to bombard that impression with things that complement its own attack. Look at the previous games reveals and follow the music through the release. They all fit in with each other following a core theme. 4 isn't doing that.

kylej

Banned
Eazy was brilliant. He knew what made Halo great and he could express his opinions clearly and in a humorous way. He was probably my favourite HaloGAFFER back then.

However, his Shishka photoshop was out of order and deserved a ban. We make mistakes and then we learn from them. I'd have preferred if it wasn't a permanent ban but, well, he can't have anyone to blame but himself.

That Shishka photoshop was hilarious. People are too sensitive.

feel

Reach soundtrack didn't really resonate with me as much as the ones from the other games, but it has its moments
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB5h5YF__JA&t=1m21s

Tunavi's pick is good too. It's still a great soundtrack above most other games/movies.

edit- Didn't notice Ply's post, good man.

And just got home and listened to the samples from that MTV link, and damn is that all from Halo 4? Shows promise.

Fuchsdh

I personally found it a bit far, even if I did laugh initially.

Can someone describe it in non-bannable terms, so we newbs can understand what falls into permaban territory?

2:42 is fucking awesome saucesome! ^_^ I didn't have many doubts before, but I think those are basically gone now.

The only thing that's really bugging me now is the choral stuff. Halo has always been just monk chant, not something resembling an actual language (yeah yeah I know Gregorian is latin, but you know what I mean.)

I just don't want some "Duel of the Fates" or LotR-style chorus in my Halo. Hoping once it's mixed in it's not going to be as big a deal.

The only thing that's really bugging me now is the choral stuff. Halo has always been just monk chant, not something resembling an actual language (yeah yeah I know Gregorian is latin, but you know what I mean.)

I just don't want some "Duel of the Fates" or LotR-style chorus in my Halo. Hoping once it's mixed in it's not going to be as big a deal.
It'll definitely sound better when combined with the other parts. Here's an example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnCu4cpDB-w&feature=youtu.be#t=2m3s

Playing ODST, before the first flashback mission I fought off a small pack of Covenant, left one of the Jackal snipers alive, didn't want to waste Carbine ammo. Came back a hour and a half later, run into him walking on the street, melee him in the face.

What do you think of the game so far?

wl0ZB.png

I touched that doorknob.

Okay. So maybe it was more "What if the phones...rang?" But still.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MFz9wQws7E

Fuchsdh

After I saw that Mail Sack I went and frame-by-framed a 720p copy of the loading screen off Youtube. Quality is pixel-moshed crud and maybe it only appears in certain load sequences since it changes a bit... but I can't see jack. I was thinking maybe there was a pattern in the ring forming but that seems too esoteric if the guy could point it out to his SO.

Karl2177

After I saw that Mail Sack I went and frame-by-framed a 720p copy of the loading screen off Youtube. Quality is pixel-moshed crud and maybe it only appears in certain load sequences since it changes a bit... but I can't see jack. I was thinking maybe there was a pattern in the ring forming but that seems too esoteric if the guy could point it out to his SO.

If I had to take a guess, the particles spell her name at a certain frame.

edit:v someone needs to refresh his page more v

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

There's probably a single frame with his wife's name in the particles

edit:WTF Karl! lol

Fracas

#fuckonami
There's been a lot of talk about ODST lately, and I feel I just have to come out and say it.
I did not care for it. Thought the characters were forgettable, and found the overall plot a little boring. I'm guessing one of the reasons why I'm not a huge fan is because I played the entire game in co-op? Seems like ODST was a game that was meant to be played by a lone player.

It's not all bad though. I did enjoy the music quite a bit. The hub world also did a great job of setting the mood.

Trey

There's been a lot of talk about ODST lately, and I feel I just have to come out and say it.
I did not care for it. Thought the characters were forgettable, and found the overall plot a little boring. I'm guessing one of the reasons why I'm not a huge fan is because I played the entire game in co-op? Seems like ODST was a game that was meant to be played by a lone player.

It's not all bad though. I did enjoy the music quite a bit. The hub world also did a great job of setting the mood.

The atmosphere was novel for a Halo game, and the sandbox was truncated to reflect that. The hub world and resultant cat and mouse nature of the Rookie segments were well done as well. You already gave a nod to the outstanding OST, but the best contribution ODST gave to the Halo franchise was its rendition of Firefight. It was just so much fun.

Characters are pretty forgettable, though.

Fuchsdh

Eh, to each their own. I thought the characters were set up really well, it's a lot of fun gameplay-wise with the flashbacks and hub world (except Coastal Highway is tedious on legendary).

The biggest flaws are partly due to it being a Halo 3 spinoff, and partly the fault of the ending, I think--for all its good tension after leaving the Data Hive it sort of peters out plotwise.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

The characters were the worst part about ODST, hands down. They were obnoxious, and the interpersonal shit was terrible. Totally unlikeable all around.

Aside from that, though, the game is amazing. I've said it a million times before, but it was really the solitary, isolated tone, and atmospheric music that pulled me in. The campaign's gameplay is also really diverse, hitting all the typical highnotes of a Halo campaign without any crap (i.e. Flood).

I don't know how to fully articulate why I love ODST so much, but those are some of the major reasons for sure.

Edit : Oh yeah, having no BR was awesome. It forced you to make much more difficult sandbox decisions. Keep the pistol for headshots? Keep the SMG for stripping shields? Dropping either of those was always a tough choice, unless it was a power weapon or the carbine.

Edit : Oh yeah, having no BR was awesome. It forced you to make much more difficult sandbox decisions. Keep the pistol for headshots? Keep the SMG for stripping shields? Dropping either of those was always a tough choice, unless it was a power weapon or the carbine.

A million times: YES!
I hope 343i is taking this opportunity to reinvent the weapons in the sandbox that are useless.
I want more variety in gunplay!

2 hour Sparkcast David?!?!?

Yes please.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I think the characters are what did it in for me. Why should I care what happens to these guys when they're just caricatures of marines?

And I agree, the feeling of being alone in the hub world combined with no BR and the general feeling of "you're not a spartan, if you're not careful, you will die" made the game play nicely. Also IIRC isn't it the only halo game with camera bob? Love that stuff in FPSes. Raises the immersion quite a bit for me.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, so he probably recorded two hours. The cast itself will probably be a lot shorter. But still, I'm way excited.

I think the characters are what did it in for me. Why should I care what happens to these guys when they're just caricatures of marines?
Totally. The constant sarcastic banter -- without little or no sincere, emotional, interesting dialogue -- got really old.

I don't know if this is in Reach, but I like how in ODST when you crouch-walk, the camera moves up and down, left foot right foot left foot right foot. That's a neat touch.

Trey

I don't know if this is in Reach, but I like how in ODST when you crouch-walk, the camera moves up and down, left foot right foot left foot right foot. That's a neat touch.

I have to think that this was because ODST was the only game that didn't have to worry about how things would translate into multiplayer.

But 343 is all about making H4 weighty and shit, so perhaps it will return.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I have to think that this was because ODST was the only game that didn't have to worry about how things would translate into multiplayer.

But 343 is all about making H4 weighty and shit, so perhaps it will return.

Oh man, I hope so. Camera bob/moving HUD=awesome for me. One of the reasons I enjoy Killzone and Battlefield so much, those effects coupled with the fantastic visuals and sound...so good.

Damn, I love this sniping mission. Can't quite put my finger on it. Perhaps its the fluid balance of close-range combat and long-range battles, or maybe the fact that I just got a headshot on a jetpack brute, or maybe it's just Nathan Fillion.

Top Bottom