• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

CyReN

Ranks have to reset after a certain amount of time. You need to be able to easily see your previous season ranks and other people's ranks as well. There needs to be a representation of progression over the course of months and months

I think this idea with the classic 1-50 rank would be great to see. Yes people could buy a account and see they had old 50's, but when they are barley getting 35+ now people would assume and know.

Karl2177

Rank should also digress due to player inactivity.

Explain the ranking system for non SC32 players please.

You play 5 placement games. You get a rank based on your MMR(similar to Arena rating). You get assigned to a rank(like Gold, Silver, Platinum, etc.) and division. There are 100 people in a division. You can move up or down in your division. If you play considerably and consistently well, you can move out of your rank. Same goes if you play consistently poor. If you don't play in a season(approx. 2 months) then you have to do your 5 placements again. If you do play, it's only 1 placement match.

EDIT: The biggest problem with this system is de-ranking. I deranked from Gold to Bronze, because I was goddamn tired of playing and losing to Plat and Diamond players even though I'm probably a Silver level player.

Fuchsdh

Tashi, did you ever play BW? Because SCII's ranking system had every person who played Battle.net back in the day extremely pissed.

The problem with SCII is that you aren't competing on a big ladder, you're competing in divisions--and while that might make it more accessible to less hardcore players, it also obscures your actual quality. Sure, you might be top Diamond in your division, but that doesn't mean that you're of an equal standing to another top Diamond in another division, and the fact that there are so many divisions means you eventually stagnate until the next season and new people population your division ladder.

Arena and SC is similar with the divisions, and then the % placement.

I kind of just don't like it in an FPS.

I'd rather have 1-50 or 1-100. Yes you'll have people buy accounts but taking away their 1 rank a month and like 3 month seasons would mean they'd have to buy a 100 at the end of the season and next season they'd look dumb.

The rank system will work even greater now with the lessened modding and the quit ban. All additional reasons the rank system should be reinstated.

Things I liked from 3's ranking:
-Per playlist ranks.
Things I liked from Reach's ranking:
-You don't have to be locked to certain playlists in order to continue ranking up.

This is why I was a 21 in 3 lol, I just wanted to hop into BTB and play some social madness, I was kind of afraid of Ranked playlists... weird, I know.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
K so for those who don't really know this is out SC2 ranking works because it's not just those divisions I laid out.

With in each division (Bronze, Silver etc) you get put into a group of 100 players. During the loading screen it tells you if the match is even, or if your opponent is favored, or if you're favored. Now, it's fine so it's not like if you're bronze and the opponent is favored that he's automatically silver. However, he could be a division above you and I take that as a good sign and a sign that I'm improving. So depending the match up you gets points for each win and lose points for each loss. It's a set amount of points depending on the 3 match types of matchups. (even, favored or opponent favored).

Now, that list of 100 is just a list to show your progression of the top of a ladder. You don't matched against those players (nothing is stopping that from happening though) It's just a short term goal for you. You wanna get to the top of the ladder because when you get to the top you'll be close to getting into the next division. A brilliant thing that Blizzard did was to give people bonus points. Depending on the last time you've played, you rank up bonus points. Now obviously, since you haven't played in a while, you've probably dropped down in the ladder. With every win, you get double the points as long as you have the bonus points. Like, right now I haven't played in a week so I probably have like 60 bonus points racked up. If I go in right now and win an even match (worth like 12 points) I'll get 24 points. My bonus points will go down to 48. It makes it easier to get your old rank back. You don't lose bonus points if you lose.

At the end of each season, your rank resets but it's not forgotten. You play 1 placement match depending on who you match and how you do, you get put into a division. You could move up from last season or you could go down. However, being that it's so early in the division it's easier to move up or down right away. Like, if you're normally a silver and in the new season you lose the first match because you completely messed up and get placed into bronze, it won't take much effort to get back into silver.

No, I never played Broodwar. The problem with a global ladder though is that it promotes cheating. We saw it in Halo 2 and eventually Bungie took down that ladder from Bnet.

I think Division with 1-50 in each division that resets for each season could be great. So that let's say you're a 50 in a Bronze, you start matching 1-5 in Silver and then you Rank up to silver and make your way to 50 again.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the situation we're in". Reach has experience ranks, and skill ranks. It has many adversarial playlists, all of which use Trueskill to find matches, with varying restrictions on close skill matches.

Trueskill is NOT used in any of the Competitive playlists besides Arena.

Some other restrictions are like certain party modifiers.

but NO trueskill in any of the playlists. I've played groups of people who were on their first or second game with a full party of people who have played hundred/s of games in most of the playlists. That would be IMPOSSIBLE if trueskill was active.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the situation we're in". Reach has experience ranks, and skill ranks. It has many adversarial playlists, all of which use Trueskill to find matches, with varying restrictions on close skill matches.

The situation as in, ranked (arena, 1-50, similar style), or unranked playlists (reach's system). I know trueskill is supposedly in the game, but I have a hard time believing that with when a team can win 50-4.

Maybe it's nostalgia, but I really do firmly believe, 1-50 could work exceedingly well in a game where the more skilled players will have better combinations for weapons in their classes, and less skilled players won't be completely destroyed because they're trying to shoot across a BTB map with the plasma pistol and assault rifle combo.

zlatko

Banned
Using SC2 as the lead example for how to build your competitive online MP portion is something I completely agree with and hope more developers follow suit with and build upon.

Holiday

Banned
This is one of those instances where you should be careful what you wish for and the law of unintended consequences. But we have some ideas.
Is this another one of those dev quotes that in two years will be bitterly remembered as a signpost of decline?

Trueskill is NOT used in any of the Competitive playlists besides Arena.

Some other restrictions are like certain party modifiers.

but NO trueskill in any of the playlists. I've played groups of people who were on their first or second game with a full party of people who have played hundred/s of games in most of the playlists. That would be IMPOSSIBLE if trueskill was active.
You're mistaken. Trueskill doesn't guarantee tight matches; match quality is variable, based on the population, the skill distribution within that population, and the restrictions set by the developer. Also, new players start in the middle (e.g. in a 1-50 designation, a new player starts at 25).

Today...today is a good day.

http://www.cff.org/aboutCFFoundatio...se-2-Kalydeco-VX-809-Interim-Data-Results.cfm

My son has the DF508 mutation, this is promising news.

Also, Halo.
I read about that this morning and thought of you and your son. I'm glad to hear he could benefit from it.

Today...today is a good day.

http://www.cff.org/aboutCFFoundatio...se-2-Kalydeco-VX-809-Interim-Data-Results.cfm

My son has the DF508 mutation, this is promising news.

Also, Halo.

Fucking awesome, so its going to vertex trails right? if everything goes well it then moves to FDA approval and from their to Buy-able medication?

Thats like 3 steps, its hard not to get excited about something like that i hope everything turns out well. With the G551D mutation getting a treatment just days ago its awesome something like this could also make its way to the market.

Tawpgun

Hypnotizing.

neat-spiderman.gif

The next Starcraft 2 expansion, Heart of the Swarm, is going to allow you to resume from replays.

Based on a superficial understanding of how Reach does it, in that, when viewing game clips in game, it's basically reconstructing the game from game data, could that not be done in Halo?
I mean, it'd obviously be Campaign only, but that'd still be really cool.

Some sort of practice "let's give you a chance to re-do those fuckups you made getting 4-shotted across the map by a 6-year-old" mode that redoes your replay data and lets you (and only you) re-influence the game would be awesome. Instead of going straight for rockets which gets you killed, you can try to grab plasma grenades first and set up an ambush, or spawn a railgun instead of a sniper, etc.

Trey

Good on ya, Ram. All of HaloGAF supports your family and your son.

Yes, I speak for all of you
when I speak last stating the same thing.

zap

That's amazing news Ram, hope it works out to be able to help your son!

I feel like I'm repeating myself but I think that arena would be vastly improved if your rank was visible in all playlists. We see from prior games that people like things to work towards, that everyone can see.

feel

That's great Ram! :)

About Halo 4's ranks, I think everyone is putting the carriage before the horse, it doesn't even seem like we're getting a skill-based game but a random gameplay bonanza full of BK lulz and competitive player tears. Bloom/Spread (randomness), perks (unbalanced fights), AAs (unbalanced fights), random weapon drops, people dropping into games, etc.

edit- half-joking

You're mistaken. Trueskill doesn't guarantee tight matches; match quality is variable, based on the population, the skill distribution within that population, and the restrictions set by the developer. Also, new players start in the middle (e.g. in a 1-50 designation, a new player starts at 25).

I know I've read all of that Trueskill material. Its not active in Halo Reach Competitive playlists MM.

heckfu

Banned
That's great Ram! :)

About Halo 4's ranks, I think everyone is putting the carriage before the horse, it doesn't even seem like we're getting a skill-based game but a random gameplay bonanza full of BK lulz and competitive player tears. Bloom/Spread (randomness), perks (unbalanced fights), AAs (unbalanced fights), random weapon drops, people dropping into games, etc.

edit- half-joking
Has drop in been confirmed?

zap

I know I've read all of that Trueskill material. Its not active in Halo Reach Competitive playlists MM.

It exists, but it is a lot more loose than Arena.

When you have a low population, trueskill won't be able to find you a good competitive match - it's likely the population's fault (343's for making so many playlists?).

Top Bottom