• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I went back to my pal Charmander.

I couldn't deal with it.
yoUrt.jpg

You are weak.

heckfu

Banned
Rudyard Kipling penned a poem called The Law of the Jungle which made its way into The Jungle Book. I find it appropriate and hereby deem it the official mission statement of HaloGAF.

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky;
And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back;
For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack

Falagard

In our last game, I was reminded of why I hate bloom so much. I'm fighting a guy, he ducks into cover as a buddy rounds the corner, my reticule is big by this point, and by the time it shrinks the guy already has 2-3 shots on me, leaving me with absolutely no chance whatsoever, truly groundbreaking game design.

I wonder how different this will be from recoil. Able to use skill to keep the gun under control I guess.

As honorary wolf pack member, I'm sorry to inform you Tashi that I am Alpha dog.

Also, I sent you a friend request Heckfu but your friends list is full. Laaaaame
delete monsterfracas

Only got 4 hours sleep and I have a database systems exam in an hour and a half. Joy to the world!

Here's a shitty HaloGaf joke for y'all;

Fyrewulff claimed things were baked into the .maps. He was wrong on so many levels.

Bahahahahahahaha

Gazzawa

Ripped some shit up in Multi-team hog race with team Elzalinwa69 the BAMFs last nite!
Did not know you could spawn trap in that game-type.
We also tied a match of multi-team slayer on countdown. I pulled off the clutch armourlock double to steal us the points.
Reach is dead.

Why rehash the same points you've been making for months? Do you not agree at how boosters and co ruined ranked play for 3? Do you not see how it negatively impacted on the system? Do you not see how a 50 boosting an account cheated the players with skills less than 45 out of fair games?

1st bold: Hyperbole

2nd bold: The games in Reach are less fair without 1-50, so I don't feel like that's a valid point to bring to the table.

I think lot of people here are dramatically underestimating how important 1-50, or at least a visible-in-all-playlists skill rank is to vast swathes of the Halo multiplayer fanbase, the fanbase that has seen Halo become one of the most played games on xbox live. A lot of people I speak to lament its loss and were hoping for a return to sanity in Halo 4. Doesn't look like they're going to get it.

Why do we keep looking to Reach in so many instances as the baseline for Halo sanity?

Halo Reach (insanity): No ranks (lol Arena), bloom, armour abilities, the sort of baked in gameplay that can cause a long term, level headed fan of the series (Ghaleon) to lunge for the power button on his xbox, reflexively.

Another interesting thing to note is those that are long term opponents of 1-50, for reasons other than just boosters, cling to the so called booster problem as their checkmate and claim that many, many games suffered from the problems of cheaters.

Conversely, advocates of 1-50 claim that the amount of ranked games they played in that were affected by boosters were negligible (1 in 20 or so). So one side of this divide are exaggerating or outright lying to support their opposition to 1-50. I can only speak for myself; I can honestly say that very few (proportionally) of the ranked games I played in Halo 3 were 'ruined' by boosters.

And I don't want to hear how Bungie/343 have 'stats' or 'hard data' to mandate their bizzare decisions. Just remember it was the 'hard data' gleaned from the great 'Vanilla or TU?' 2 week vote in Team Slayer that allowed them to justify the removal of Squad Slayer for the laughably inferior Super Slayer.

Ripped some shit up in Multi-team hog race with team Elzalinwa69 the BAMFs last nite!
Did not know you could spawn trap in that game-type.
We also tied a match of multi-team slayer on countdown. I pulled off the clutch armourlock double to steal us the points.
Reach is dead.

GET OUT. OUT NOW.

zap

1st bold: Hyperbole

2nd bold: The games in Reach are less fair without 1-50, so I don't feel like that's a valid point to bring to the table.

I think lot of people here are dramatically underestimating how important 1-50, or at least a visible-in-all-playlists skill rank is to vast swathes of the Halo multiplayer fanbase, the fanbase that has seen Halo become one of the most played games on xbox live. A lot of people I speak to lament its loss and were hoping for a return to sanity in Halo 4. Doesn't look like they're going to get it.

Why do we keep looking to Reach in so many instances as the baseline for Halo sanity?

Halo Reach (insanity): No ranks (lol Arena), bloom, armour abilities, the sort of baked in gameplay that can cause a long term, level headed fan of the series (Ghaleon) to lunge for the power button on his xbox, reflexively.

Another interesting thing to note is those that are long term opponents of 1-50, for reasons other than just boosters, cling to the so called booster problem as their checkmate and claim that many, many games suffered from the problems of cheaters.

Conversely, advocates of 1-50 claim that the amount of ranked games they played in that were affected by boosters were negligible (1 in 20 or so). So one side of this divide are exaggerating or outright lying to support their opposition to 1-50. I can only speak for myself; I can honestly say that very few (proportionally) of the ranked games I played in Halo 3 were 'ruined' by boosters.

And I don't want to hear how Bungie/343 have 'stats' or 'hard data' to mandate their bizzare decisions. Just remember it was the 'hard data' gleaned from the great 'Vanilla or TU?' 2 week vote in Team Slayer that allowed them to justify the removal of Squad Slayer for the laughably inferior Super Slayer.

I'm of the opinion that casuals will play whatever is on offer - see Team Slayer population for an example.

If the multiplayer was catered to the hardcore fans, with reasonable matching (so casuals don't get donged on too often), casuals will still be happy, while providing a much more balanced and fair game for the hardcore.

Look at Halo 3. While not the most competitive according to a lot of people here, it was pretty well balanced (except for AR starts...) and it was battling with CoD for 1st, well after it came out.

Reach catered a lot more to casuals and the "realism" crowd, and look at population now. It's lucky if it even beats Fifa and Gears nowadays. Hardcore fans have stopped playing - they are the ones that play Halo games for years after it comes out, and encourage other friends to play.

I see some real promise with what 343 is bringing to the table (i.e. finally being able to spawn with BR/DMR all the time, good movement/jump, amazing graphics), and while worried about their decisions in Reach - I think that they will give a lot more love to 4. Reach is only adopted, 4 will be their baby.

kylej

Banned
I was a 42. I was never going to reach 50. I was as good as those around me. That's why people got skill locked. The system was designed to slot players in where they belong. The game doesn't reward players by letting everyone get to 50 and that's why it was so good. Way to miss the point though ;) You probably thought my jimmies would have been russled by digging through my highest skill of all things heh.

What? I didn't think I would "russle your jimmies". I was responding to your post. Half the time I'm just trying to understand what you wrote before I reply. I need a Rosetta Stone for your destruction of the English language, it's like trying to read Esperanto.

I don't know why you keep bringing it up when Frank and the people at 343 have the data, and your entire argument is based on anecdotal evidence at best. It was already stated that it was a big problem, and frankly, his word is better than yours in this case, sorry.

I'm giving my opinion, of course it isn't flawless. Thank you for being yet another person in the chorus of pointless white noise posters who would rather say "lol troll, lol wrong" than actually discuss anything.

I'm giving my opinion, of course it isn't flawless. Thank you for being yet another person in the chorus of pointless white noise posters who would rather say "lol troll, lol wrong" than actually discuss anything.

You got me.

You know, I haven't been here long, minus lurking, but every time you show up to "discuss" something, you bring along waves of negativity and cynicism. It's tough not to call you out on that, especially on a forum like this.

Either way, I completely respect your opinion, and I don't think you're wrong - just that I don't agree that 1-50 is the way to go from here (at least, not in it's past form, based on my experience). I know that you care about having a game that you'll enjoy, and that there are certain criteria you expect from it in order for you to enjoy it. All I'm saying is we should consider the game from outside our narrow perspectives, as we each experience it differently, even compared to the average gamer. And it's especially important to recognize when an employee who has the data, saying it was a problem, versus you, who doesn't have any of said data, refuting, or downright refusing it and not really getting anywhere in the process, other than a nostalgic circle-jerk. That's "white-noise", in my opinion.

Top Bottom