• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Redford

aka Cabbie
So does the player in the HBO vid have both unlimited sprint and Dexterity?

And do the warthogs have a damage indicator sound now too? :D

KyleJ, guess how much white text appears in the middle of your screen during the Grifball gameplay?

None. Also nothing like "You are carrying the ball" or "Nice Catch". That favouritism :p

JHall

Well amidst all this negativity, there is one thing we can all agree on, and that is Cortana's ass in Halo 4.

GOAT.

ibgT0AfdMLG7fb.gif

I still don't understand the motivation behind the CTF changes. They said they wanted the flag carrier to be "The Ultimate Badass," so why did they take away almost all of their options? You can't be sneaky with the flag, you can kind of defend yourself but not with a primary weapon and heaven help you if you had rockets, you can't do any flag running routes that require you to toss the flag to a teammate.

There used to be tradeoffs when running a flag. Juggling was really effective on a small map or if you only needed to go a short distance. If you tried juggling on a BTB map it was really easy for the other team to see where you are, catch up, and kill you. On the other hand you were much more likely to get farther with a flag when you don't juggle it since the other team needs to look for you. Now there is no choice, and everyone knows where you are all the time.

Released

I got an idea for oddball.

Guy is coming at you guns blazing, you're screwed with no teammates around. What do you do?

Throw the oddball at the enemy forcing him to hold the ball while you commence donging with your primary weapon and nades.

You could actually do that in CE, and it's quite amusing if you pull it off. However, since you could get out of automatically picking up the oddball (or the flag) in that game, it wasn't that big of a deal. Hopefully the same can be said of H4.

I don't have people's contact info, but it was nice meeting you all at PAX, and especially thanks for letting me in on the line, that was some brotherly love. I can't wait for this game to come out.

You could actually do that in CE, and it's quite amusing if you pull it off. However, since you could get out of automatically picking up the oddball (or the flag) in that game, it wasn't that big of a deal. Hopefully the same can be said of H4.

My new favorite junior. Your avatar is my favorite album.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Played Halo 4. Feels like Halo. My team sucked though.

Bumper Jumper was immediately familiar to me.

I'll post more eventually. Pics too. Awesome meeting most of HaloGaf! Also awesome meeting some 343 folk.

Enfinit

I got an idea for oddball.

Guy is coming at you guns blazing, you're screwed with no teammates around. What do you do?

Throw the oddball at the enemy forcing him to hold the ball while you commence donging with your primary weapon and nades.

I dunno why, but I love the term "donging."

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I agree. I would also say the competitive community - more than most others - know EXACTLY what they are looking for.

Ehhhh I don't think so. I think in the broad sense they do but when it comes to the little details they're just like everyone else. They won't know until they play it extensively.

heckfu

Banned
Seriously though. Great weekend and enjoyed meeting everyone!

Already planning for PAX Prime next year to play Destiny...

LD2k

Neo Member
Ehhhh I don't think so. I think in the broad sense they do but when it comes to the little details they're just like everyone else. They won't know until they play it extensively.
They sure are the vocal crowd then ;)

Also - I am glad Griffball gets it's own option so we won't have to deal with stat boosters in the game type.

This is what I was able to round up (mostly thanks to Cyren and THC folks, but some other sources in here as well). I know there are some more impressions I'm missing but as I mentioned previously, I was catching up on 30+ pages.. so if anyone else dropped some impressions here, please add. This should be helpful for those of us lttp and want a single list of content to go through;

Halo 4 - Media/Info Dump - PAX 2012

Halo 4 Panel
Halo Reborn - PAX Panel

Vidoc
Halo 4: A Hero Awakens - Vidoc
Gameplay & Cutscenes from the Vidoc (Only)

Gameplay

Haven
Haven Gameplay (Light Rifle/Hologram)
Haven Gameplay (Incinerator Canon)
Haven Gameplay (Binary Rifle) - @ 38s
Haven Gameplay w/ Walshy (+ loadout options)

Exile
CTF on Exile Gameplay
CTF on Exile Gameplay (Boltshot)
CTF on Exile Gameplay w/ Bravo (Light Rifle, Sniper, Thruster Pack)
20+ min CTF on Exile Gameplay w/ Nak3d Eli - Lots of new content
Halo Waypoint's Original Exile Gamplay Teaser
CTF on Exile Gameplay
CTF on Exile Gameplay via Wu

Demos
Oddball Demo on Exile
Grifball Demo in New Forge Environment*
*Grifball arena shown here is a small part of a new Forge environment

Forward Unto Dawn
New Halo 4 "Cryo" Video

Screenshots
Exile Screenshots I
Exile Screenshots II

Impressions
Time Glitch
Ghaleon (Part I - Movement, "Feel," Golden Tripod)
Heckfu

*Will continue to update as I find more content.

Thank you for the recopilation, must see all of this after dinner

Sofa King

Haven't been on the thread in days. Here's my quick take on my experience with Halo 4: It feels like Halo and it feels much funner than Reach. Love the BR on Regicide, and love the DMR on the bigger map.

Spartan Ops was cool, but short. It was only one mission of the five you would get in a week according to the 343 guy at the booth. Heroic seemed pretty easy. It was nice to battle some new enemies, and the Carbine is beastly against the Crawlers.

Really enjoyed my time with the game this weekend and thoroughly enjoyed the lovefest that was the panel. Halo 4 is going to be awesome!

FyreWulff

Ended not playing. Got to talk to the founder of one of my favorite devs along the way and the line was closed for the booth already by the time I got back. Bumped into Wu and almost accidentally photo bombed him. glad that pax is over, at any rate.

Also that omegathon ending was complete bullshit.

Risen

I still don't understand the motivation behind the CTF changes. They said they wanted the flag carrier to be "The Ultimate Badass," so why did they take away almost all of their options? You can't be sneaky with the flag, you can kind of defend yourself but not with a primary weapon and heaven help you if you had rockets, you can't do any flag running routes that require you to toss the flag to a teammate.

There used to be tradeoffs when running a flag. Juggling was really effective on a small map or if you only needed to go a short distance. If you tried juggling on a BTB map it was really easy for the other team to see where you are, catch up, and kill you. On the other hand you were much more likely to get farther with a flag when you don't juggle it since the other team needs to look for you. Now there is no choice, and everyone knows where you are all the time.

I'm not sure I understand how people do NOT get the motivation behind the CTF changes. There have been multiple statements from 343 regarding H4 being made in a way that makes the game "more accessible" or "more approachable". Those trade-offs you speak of on when to run the flag in a sneaky way, when to juggle, when to stop and help, when to drop and try to kill guys before running it further, etc. make the in game strategy deeper. There are people right here on this forum with good skill levels, that to this day have no idea the appropriate times to do the above.

343 has looked at the game type and made changes that definitely make the game more approachable. They have distilled the game play to knowing when to pull the flag, and team work needed to cap it. The number of layers are reduced, thus increasing the ease at which people will enter the game, and have FUN. I don't like the change, and I think it takes away a nuanced game play that was incredible fun for competitive folks. That is NOT to say I won't have fun with this new game type. I think there will be tons of fun to be had.

I like the fact that they aren't afraid to make changes, I just wish the changes were more balanced, or better implemented. There has been so much commentary on wishing they would release information as to the "why's". That shouldn't even be a question, you already have the answer... and they don't owe justification beyond, "because we feel like it's fun", nor do they need to justify any other decisions.

All that above may sound a bit wishy-washy, but it's not... I don't like the change, but understand why it was made. It just feels like another thing added that is half-way done.

Automatic Pick-Up
Not being able to drop, coupled with the way point
Pistol with stupid bloom and very little ammo

The above can be serious problems. While auto pick up stops the problem of wanting to pick up the objective, but picking up a weapon instead and with multiple control schemes makes it a universal way of picking it up; it creates problems all it's own with picking up the objective, even when you don't want to. There will most definitely be times this happens, and it will suck.

Not being able to drop, coupled with the way point goes hand in hand with the terri-bad bloom on the pistol. Sure, you move at good speed, but now an entire team knows where you are, and you have no choice about that... oh, and while you have a pistol, it's a sucky alternative because you have bloom with a short ammo supply. When you are playing highly skilled teams, you are not the ultimate bad ass, you are the ultimate sitting duck.

And all of the above says nothing about perhaps the worst offender this will create... the new objective holding when uneven teams are matched is going to be killer. Remember running around Asylum with the other team's flag trying to get beat downs? Now I can shoot you too, I don't even have to be close to you to kill you, oh and I can move as fast as you.

Can you imagine the Zealot flag spawn trap with the ability to both shoot AND assassinate while moving quickly?

Get out - the change is a good intention that will have bad results on game play unless there is something changed from the build seen. Again, this is not saying it couldn't be fun... particularly at first; but allow the ability to drop the flag, and no way point while flag is in possession at a minimum.

On it's surface, the change definitely makes the game type more approachable, but they better make dang sure match making parameters are tight, otherwise whatever list it's in will only be popular for the length of time it takes some good players to get bored.

Edited to say:

Another thing that would be a way to modify one of the problems would be an armor modification that removes the way point while running the flag - or perhaps gives another objective minded boost. It would fit and would give a true objective role on the team. It would likely somewhat address the auto pick up, at least for the initial pick up in the enemy base, in that the objective player would be a bit more intentional about being there.

Risen

PAX was cool I guess but aren't we forgetting the megaton from today?

No white text in the middle of the screen in Grifball!

No white text in customs does not equal no white text in match making. Cautiously optimistic... which is to say, slightly pessimistic.

heckfu

Banned
PAX was cool I guess but aren't we forgetting the megaton from today?

No white text in the middle of the screen in Grifball!
I feel like a broken record at this point on this subject so I reckon this'll be the last time I say it, but it's so unnoticeable.

Like...very unnoticeable.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I feel like a broken record at this point on this subject so I reckon this'll be the last time I say it, but it's so unnoticeable.

Like...very unnoticeable.

I can see how that would be the case, at a certain point I stopped noticing it while watching these videos. In fact, I started wondering what medals the person was getting, even with the text and announcer going off.

There's so much shit going on it doesn't even register, and I wasn't even playing.

CyReN

awesome post of awesome about ctf

I agree with this mostly, I'll give it a shot when it comes out but my whole way of playing will change from the sounds of it. If it works out the way it does I will avoid the flag like a plague and just focus on slaying. Having a weakness of all the things you listed turn me off from wanting to attempt picking up the flag. This isn't a fear of failing with the flag, watching over my k/d but the risk isn't worth the reward for me to give me such a disadvantage.

With that too, from Halo 2 to Reach my favorite gametype in each of those has been CTF in 4v4. Going to be very weird for me.

Top Bottom