• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Swarmerr

You couldn't possibly have fun with the game unless your e-peen is stroked?

sigh.. I said that halo 4 looks fantastic but that I would eventually grow bored of it. Never said I couldn't have fun with the game.

That's what happened to me with Reach. Reach didn't have a skilled based ranking system and I barley play that game no more. Went right back to Halo 3.

I hope the same don't happen to Halo 4, because the game is looking good and has potential to keep a strong population all the way up to Halo 5.

This, only thing is halo reach would still be a bad game, tolerable, but a a bad game.

feel

I'm sad that the majority of the helmets in that picture don't have proper visors.

Oh shit Borderlands 2 is out in a couple weeks.

Juicey you down to play that?
Will that game be that good? I keep reading praise for the first one but the vids don't make either 1 or 2 seem that great to me. Someone gifted B2 to me on Steam, guess I'll find out soon enough anyways.

My main loadout will probably be this:
Armor Ability: Active Camo
Tactical: AA Efficiency when game first comes out then Stealth after I unlock it
Support: Sensor, perhaps sometimes Drop Recon
Primary: Light Rifle
Secondary: Boltshot
Grenade: Plasma

I'll probably end up with
Armor Ability: Hard Light Shield, or Promethean Vision. HLS for when I'm playing with people with mics, PV for lone wolves. Love the HLS and I think it could save my ass if I play with a competent team.
Tactical: Firepower. Gotta have dat secondary primary...
Support: Dexterity. Almost certain. Seems to be the biggest advantage you can get in regular combat.
Primary: Light Rifle. Looks like a great multi-purpose rifle. If I can't get used to it, DMR.
Secondary: Battle Rifle. For that closer quarters combat that the LR and DMR will be less effective in.
Grenade: Plasma. I like stickin' stuff.

heckfu

Banned
I tried out a lot of combinations but felt the most comfortable with: primary DMR, secondary BR, Thrusters, Dexterity, Firepower, and stickies.

And Noobs, no drop/bubble shield.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
helmet: locus/cio/gungnir

primary: DMR
secondary: magnum
AA: thruster pack. maybe jet pack
grenades: stickies

tactical package: mobility
support upgrade: dexterity

Ranks are nice and all, but the game itself has to be decent and not frustrating. I'll keep playing because of that.

While I do agree 100 percent with this, I really hope there is ranking. I just can't trust "trueskill is working behind the scenes" Just divide the playlists competitive and social like in Halo 2 and Halo 3.

plssss 343

I'll probably end up with
Armor Ability: Hard Light Shield, or Promethean Vision. HLS for when I'm playing with people with mics, PV for lone wolves. Love the HLS and I think it could save my ass if I play with a competent team.
Tactical: Firepower. Gotta have dat secondary primary...
Support: Dexterity. Almost certain. Seems to be the biggest advantage you can get in regular combat.
Primary: Light Rifle. Looks like a great multi-purpose rifle. If I can't get used to it, DMR.
Secondary: Battle Rifle. For that closer quarters combat that the LR and DMR will be less effective in.
Grenade: Plasma. I like stickin' stuff.

Man I just realized how good of a duo it would make if I could pair up with a good team HLS user. :) I used to use awesome Armor Locker teammates to bait players into being distracted, but HLS works better cuz you can actually move back into cover and make them chase you while keeping yourself protected while I'm around the opposite corner waiting to sprint assassinate your pursuer. :)

OverHeat

« generous god »
What kill me the most about all the new stuff this weekend is Im going the miss the first 10 days of Halo 4 since Im going out off town for 2 months for field training....Im leaving in 15 days. This is just cruel.

op_ivy

Man I just realized how good of a duo it would make if I could pair up with a good team HLS user. :) I used to use awesome Armor Locker teammates to bait players into being distracted, but HLS works better cuz you can actually move back into cover and make them chase you while keeping yourself protected while I'm around the opposite corner waiting to sprint assassinate your pursuer. :)

i could see regen being very useful in team situations too.

There is a clip of a Hardlight user in that direct feed footage. He gets blained through the shield almost as soon as he pulls it up.

Seems pretty useless.

op_ivy

In an open environment like Exile, yes, but on maps like Adrift, it'll be super useful.

and god damned annoying to go up against!

pretty sure with its inherent weaknesses it wont be nearly as bad as armor lock though, so theres that.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm probably going to use the AR for secondary if I go "firepower." Those AR type weapons just seem devastating in close quarters now.

More than likely though I'll pick some other package and use a PP secondary.

and god damned annoying to go up against!

pretty sure with its inherent weaknesses it wont be nearly as bad as armor lock though, so theres that.

It'll be annoying at times, but not rage quit frustrating. Big difference.

Has anyone tried to use it to prevent splatter damage from a ghost or warthog?

exile_ctf_pax2012.movhijqu.jpg

Even Mediafire has Captchas now?

fuck the world

I'll be using BR primary, pistol secondary, Promethean Vision, frag nades, and I don't know all of the armor mod things so I'm not sure about those.

edit: I might use Firepower so I can have a BR and a Carbine.

op_ivy

I'm probably going to use the AR for secondary if I go "firepower." Those AR type weapons just seem devastating in close quarters now.

More than likely though I'll pick some other package and use a PP secondary.

yeah, i dont see the need for firepower. i imagine dmrs, brs, and ars will be plentiful on the ground 30 sec into a match

feel

I'm still waiting to hear if AA availability will still be a playlist dependent thing or if anything goes anywhere now that they're tied to your custom spartan.

edit-
Planning to use BR + AR as soon as possible just for dat Halo 3 Team BR nostalgia.

Tawpgun

Umm.

So I'm gonna chock up the flexible loadouts to being a show off PAX build.... but in regular Halo 4 BTB I hope plasma pistols are banned from loadouts...

I wonder how long it's going to take to unlock this stuff, like the Light rifle, firepower, etc.
Any light been shed on the unlock system? Purchases like Reach, or prerequisites like Halo 3, or something else?

edit: pun wasn't intentional.

I was filming a game for Nexy yesterday and he tried it a couple times and the human magnetism for the PP is incredibly low. Like, probably 30 feet from the other player and barely tracked at all.

Yeah the PP has obviously been nerfed to become a balanced secondary weapon.

heckfu

Banned
Umm.

So I'm gonna chock up the flexible loadouts to being a show off PAX build.... but in regular Halo 4 BTB I hope plasma pistols are banned from loadouts...
I was filming a game for Nexy yesterday and he tried it a couple times and the human magnetism for the PP is incredibly low. Like, probably 30 feet from the other player and barely tracked at all.

neoism

Then why is HaloGAF always (hyperbole) jumping on opinions contary to HaloGAF general opinion, unless the member in question is a veteran HaloGAF member?

That is what bothers me.
People here jumped on Poland when he said he liked Guardian better than Heretic (a friend of mine has more or less the same exact opinion, he couldn't stand Heretic). People jump on me when i say i don't like Mark VI.
It is just a frigging opinion.

First you need to learn something... this is the internet and your taking it too seriously....

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Umm.

Even if they aren't, that emp didn't last long, and if you pick the wheelman "perk" it will last even shorter.

op_ivy

i think the bigger concern for BTB is its ability to temporarily shut down any vehicle.

So now I have to use a tactical package so I can enjoy BTB? Great!

No, it seems to play well out of the box, but inevitably after players get a bit more experience vehicles will start going down quicker, and Wheelman will give vehicles a bit of extra durability.

From the looks of it they're made out of plastic, in contrast to Reach's cardboard vehicles.

Arnie

While I do agree 100 percent with this, I really hope there is ranking. I just can't trust "trueskill is working behind the scenes" Just divide the playlists competitive and social like in Halo 2 and Halo 3.

plssss 343

Same.

And those looking down on people for wanting skill based ranks are naive. Some people enjoy the grind of experience, it's massively successful, and that's fine. Halo wants to riff on the work that games like Battlefield 2, and COD implemented, and there's nothing wrong with that, it works for many, many people.

I personally gain zero satisfaction from such a thing. I enjoyed Battlefield 2 on PC, and COD 4, but these kinds of experiences have burnt out on me and I'm no longer stimulated by it. I've eaten too many carrots, now I'm tired of them.

What does satisfy me and has always fuelled my love for competitive Halo is playing to win, and being rewarded for that. In my opinion it's both beneficial to gameplay (team's united in their desire to win, not grind or play for personal gain), and benefits how motivated I am to play. Look down on me all you want, those who SLRP, but I used to love pushing for that next numbered rank, and playing to improve and challenge better players. That is my motivation to play, that is how I progress, not by unlocking a new Battle Rifle skin or a new helmet.

So as others have said, sure the core might be great, and I'm sure the game will hold my attention for a couple of months at least, but my long term appreciation for the experience just isn't there if the main hook for continued play is experience based, centred on unlocks and abilities.

The motivation isn't there to just play and drop into random matches hoping that trueskill does it's bit. It's frustrating when I match with and against poor teammates, as I blame the game, whereas in prior Halos I have a universal measuring stick to understand why I played with those that I did. And the frustration wasn't there, the lure of staying on and playing a couple more with my friends, to reach a new level (which was always tantalisingly close), was.

m23

2 more months, oh god the wait is killing me.

I'm surprised no one was able to ask about ranking systems. Although I would love it to be in the game, its not like I'm going to skip out on it if it isn't included (I'm not nearly as good as I used to be). I'm sure we'll get a multiplayer vidoc soonish, and hopefully its as great as that campaign one.

I wonder how long it's going to take to unlock this stuff, like the Light rifle, firepower, etc.
Any light been shed on the unlock system? Purchases like Reach, or prerequisites like Halo 3, or something else?

edit: pun wasn't intentional.

Yeah the PP has obviously been nerfed to become a balanced secondary weapon.

EXEM at RP said he heard somewhere that it was a purchase system as in you earn points as you rank up and buy what you want first.

yeah, i dont see the need for firepower. i imagine dmrs, brs, and ars will be plentiful on the ground 30 sec into a match

That is definitely how I feel about it. :)

There is a clip of a Hardlight user in that direct feed footage. He gets blained through the shield almost as soon as he pulls it up.

Seems pretty useless.

But there is another video where the Hardlight's usefulness is really shown. It does have a couple of "holes" in it's usefulness, but that helps keep it in check. :)

TCKaos

markvi4.png

The gamertag bar is covering a lot but you can tell that is the Mark VI forearm armor.

Called this last thread. One of the ViDocs had the back piece for Mark VI untextured on a monitor for a split second. It was the same one that had Armored Core Halo in it, I think.

Called the BR coming back on toys, Mark VI coming back, and I called out the Spectre 'cause we're getting a Megabloks Spectre set. Two for three so far. I'm better than a psychic.

Also, that looks like a Mark IV shoulder piece.

EXEM at RP said he heard somewhere that it was a purchase system as in you earn points as you rank up and buy what you want first.
Hmmm.. I remember in one of the recent videos, can't remember which one, that completing a game unlocked a couple of AAs. I'm not sure if it's the PAX build that does that. I'll try and quickly dig it up.

edit: found it:

iWwTEOL3hTyKT.png

Fracas

#fuckonami
Called this last thread. One of the ViDocs had the back piece for Mark IV untextured on a monitor for a split second. It was the same one that had Armored Core Halo in it, I think.

Called the BR coming back on toys, Mark IV coming back, and I called out the Spectre 'cause we're getting a Megabloks Spectre set. Two for three so far. I'm better than a psychic.

Also, that looks like a Mark IV shoulder piece.

Are you dead or something? You've been away on Xbox Live for over a week :lol

Aggrotek

Are the links Plywood provided not working for anyone else?
I downloaded all of them but part 4 and it keeps saying the link is broken.

Also my loadout of choice so far:

Primary: Carbine
Secondary: Boltshot/BR
Grenades: Stickies
AA: Thruster Pack/PV
Tactical: Dexterity/Firepower
Support: Mobility

So as an avid Active Camo user, below is a compiled list of all observed active camo changes and my analysis of how it will affect gameplay. These are all predictions and what I've seen from the videos and most of them I am pretty sure of. :) The main reference is this video, but there are others I've noticed things like Nexy's LR gameplay and NakedEli's attempt at camo to "sneak into their base" *shakes head*:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FHG4Y4l5UQ

• First things first the amount of radar jamming dots has been reduced from 15+ to only 6 dots. This does multiple things for camo.
  • - At first glance of your radar it isn't as obvious that someone with camo is around you. It could actually be 6 people of a team in BTB games (if you are crouched). Allowing you to play defense with that added scare factor of maybe the team is actually camping in there.
  • - In Reach when you knew there was someone using camo around you, you just ignored your radar because tracking all those dots was unfeasible and distracting. They focused on what was around them making it more likely that you will be found thanks to your shimmer of camo. Now tracking a handful of dots on the radar is feasible and most people won't think to count the amount of dots on the radar that camo makes. So instead of ignoring their radar they will analyze the dots and see if they can pick out movement that they expect you to do in the given situation. This makes them equally aware as Reach (if they ignore their radar) or less aware and more distracted if they are analyzing their radar meaning less chance you'll get seen.
  • Dots on the radar do not move random and sporadically like they do in Reach. The dots are slower and more believable. Not all of them are just swirling around. Some stand still, some move forward quickly, etc. Because of this it is easier for someone to think a particular dot is you. ;)
  • Dots on the radar are no longer always almost centered around you. Instead these dots can be all behind you or a couple in front and the rest behind, or in a line off to the right. This stops players from being able to track camo players based on the dot circle. And for those who decide to continue to track based on that will end up getting assassinated by a smart camo user who knows how to analyze what their opponent is going to do.
  • A small side bonus to the dots being more predictable and there being less of them is that a good camo player can actually more accurately predict how his opponent is going to move based on the setup of dots on the radar. As long as the dots are the same for everyone in range. Which can easily be checked in split screen and with a friend on a different xbox in your house. Something I'll be checking day one.
  • When you come out of camo you lose a chunk of camo. Looks to be about 2 seconds worth of camo. I am pretty sure this is to avoid people spamming it to save on camo time like I used to. In Reach you can tap spam it to make sure that you avoided the initialization period where you are transferring between visible and not visible without loosing too much camo time. This also had the side effect of making people ignore their radar thinking that it would be useless since there is a camo user about.
  • [Unconfirmed] When you run around while camo is activated instead of being in poor camo you shimmer back and forth between no camo and good camo. This can be seen at the beginning of Nexy's video for his first opponent and later in the video right after he becomes king. This is an interesting change cuz there is a very slight chance that if you are moving around and someone is sweeping an area they may pass over your location while you are in good camo. I have yet to see how camo interacts with sprint yet so I don't know if you can sprint while this happens or if sprint makes you fully visible or just shuts off camo all together. I don't think it would shut off camo, but this effect may happen with sprint allowing you to sprint between cover and possibly not be seen.
  • [Unconfirmed] The total camo time is less than TU camo. TU camo is around 20 seconds if I remember correctly while this camo looks to be about 15 seconds as long as you don't come out of it. Meaning it has to be more intelligently to be of optimal use.
  • [Unconfirmed] It might be just me, but in the videos I watched of people using camo it seemed like the meter went down slower when you were moving as opposed to when you sit still. I REALLY hope this is the case because this promotes more active stalking rather than just players sitting still and camping/sniping. It seems that you can squeeze an extra 3-5 seconds out of camo by actively moving rather than sitting still. This also means that if you are under pressure by a pursuer and you stay still you have less time before you run out of camo. This would be a buff to players who actually move with camo or at least a better state than those who don't (like me) and a nerf to those who camp or snipe with camo. :)

Top Bottom