• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

neoism

You know what, this looks great. I don't even care about what's different or what was taken from CoD or what's gone or whatever anymore, this looks amazing. I'm sick of being negative and critical of every little thing, and this looks great, and I'll take any change for whatever reason to get away from the mess of a game that was Reach. I don't care if that makes me Team SLRP or whatever dumb label but I really want to love playing Halo again and based on everything I've seen of this game I will. 343, this is perfect, don't change anything. Unless you want to, I guess, I don't care it looks great. Just make it great, it looks like you are though so just keep that up I guess.

this I was pissed about most of the changes.... but fuck it its 343s baby... just hope gaf plays it more.. the first 2 or 3 months of Reach was some of the funniest times I've had with a video game.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Wait, that video I just saw showed the regen field actively repulsing players (bouncing them away).

This is going to get abused a lot to block off power weapons and approach ways. And I also see it being used as the next armor lock type of bullshit.

TCKaos

Finally 100%'d Reach with a bunch of Gaffers.

Took us two hours to get 3-4 achievements each while full party boosting. That's pretty insane.

wwm0nkey

Wait, that video I just saw showed the regen field actively repulsing players (bouncing them away).

This is going to get abused a lot to block off power weapons and approach ways. And I also see it being used as the next armor lock type of bullshit.

The reason armor locked sucked is that it stopped gameplay, as long as this allows gameplay to still flow (which it does) then it should be fine, also you can still throw a rocket in there after it is deployed and its not hard to kill people in there from what I have been seeing.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The reason armor locked sucked is that it stopped gameplay, as long as this allows gameplay to still flow (which it does) then it should be fine, also you can still throw a rocket in there after it is deployed and its not hard to kill people in there from what I have been seeing.

That's my point, it's going to break flow.

You can't persue. If they drop this right it could/will effectively block you from going in for the kill.

You're assuming the person will use it as it's intended. I'm saying people will learn to use it as a way to cut off map flow. (They won't bother even using it for regen, just drop it to block movement then roll out).

It should NOT have a "blow back" effect.

Regeneration Field:

Gotta reload? They start recharging instantly.
Miss a shot? They start recharging instantly.
Take a step into cover while fighting? They start recharging instantly.
Throw a 'nade at any time other than to start the fight? They start recharging instantly.

This is one AA I'm sure will be the cause of many arguments. Along with a good player using the HLS..

wwm0nkey

Throw a 'nade at any time other than to start the fight? They start recharging instantly.

This is one AA I'm sure will be the cause of many arguments. Along with a good player using the HLS..

Guess we will have to see how everything plays out I guess, but I do agree that the addition of blow back is a bit weird though.

heckfu

Banned
FWIW, I'm a very average-slightly above average player and I got multiple kills against kids using regen. Seemed to have a very a) slow regen time or b) weak regen amount

Talents

Banned
Regeneration Field:

As long as it's not in MLG, I'm good.

Seance

Banned
Regeneration Field:

I hope MLG has the balls to scrap any AA's that are detrimental to competetive play. Regen, Camo and HLS all look very worrying.
The way some of the guys are talking at MLG is pretty worrying. They are sounding like the want to keep bad game elements in just to attract casuals.

u4iX

How long does it take to deploy?

I think in the Sparkast the deployable AAs took around a half of a second to come out, or maybe that was just the Autosentry.

I hope MLG has the balls to scrap any AA's that are detrimental to competetive play. Regen, Camo and HLS all look very worrying.
The way some of the guys are talking at MLG is pretty worrying. They are sounding like the want to keep bad game elements in just to attract casuals.

That's not it at all, or at least in my case that's not what I feel is being advocated from the higher competitive, hardcore side.

The game should be fully tested and tried to be played in it's default state before anything is declared "OP" and removed from the game. There were a lot of weapons initially removed from Reach in the MLG settings that ended up feeling like they were removed "just because" and there wasn't much of a reason to why they were removed. The Concussion Rifle being one of them, as well as the Plasma Repeater. If the guns truly weren't useful, they would have been phased out of play naturally just by them not being picked up. They didn't need to be just removed for the sake of removing them.

So, the "MLG," and that's in quotes because you're talking about their community and not the establishment themselves, stance tends to be let's test the game and try the game out fully and give it its fair shot before removing anything hastily or declaring it bad for competitive play.

Woorloog

Banned
Regeneration Field:

To me it looked like the HLS is easy enough to break, it doesn't last nearly long enough for shields to recharge (Shielding perk doesn't work in combat so don't count on it either). And its slow movement prevents escaping. I don't expect the HLS to be any trouble even in hands of a good player. But the Regen Field... Well, even if it is nerfed from Halo 3, i cannot think of it in any positive manner. It is going to be shitty regardless (if for nothing else than the fucking blowback).

Maybe they should play more of the game before they go straight to "DMRs only, no items, Final Destination"

Talents

Banned

This.

MLG is supposed to be different than the regular playlists, if they attempt to keep the settings/weapons/AA's the same then there is absolutely no point in the MLG playlist. You may aswell just play Team Slayer or Team Objective.

Nowise10

Whoa whoa whoa now.

No, armorlock not only sucked because it stopped the "flow", is that it gave players that were meant to DIE, a 2nd chance at living, in which case the player who didnt armorlocked, ends up dead as another enemy kills him. There have been SOOOOO many moments in Reach where the enemy walks away alive all because of Armorlock, and it gave the bad player the upperhand.

I think in the Sparkast the deployable AAs took around a half of a second to come out, or maybe that was just the Autosentry.
Same goes for Regen. It's no where near Halo 3 levels of stupid, the recharge rate is about the same as the normal recharge rate, if I remember right. If you try to use it mid-battle then you're going to die. I found it particularly useful on Regicide if you're the king because everyone is coming at you so any time you get a breather you can throw it down and you're ready for the next guy who is surely right around the corner.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
FWIW, I'm a very average-slightly above average player and I got multiple kills against kids using regen. Seemed to have a very a) slow regen time or b) weak regen amount

The "regen" of the regen field is the least of my worries. That's not the biggest potential issue with it.

The use of it as a "wall" that you can't "destroy" is a bigger issue.

wwm0nkey

I don't get how HLS is worrying at all, it goes out before they can even start recharging and all you have to do is plant a grenade at their feet to get him with splash damage, its not like he will lower your shields when using it but you sure as hell can lower his or finish off the kill while he is using it.

Now Hologram changes I do not like.

Hope this is the right place for this:

So I just went through my bookshelves and realized I own four of the Halo books. I've read the first 3, and I also own Ghosts of Onyx, but I've never read it before.

Doing a little research, seems as if there are a few more out there, and the ones that immediately caught my attention were the Greg Bear authored ones that dive into the Forerunner mythology. Anyone ever read these before? How are they?

Might start reading these again since I'm getting pretty hyped for Halo 4. I really love the universe of the Halo games so I'm curious how these newer books turned out.

wwm0nkey

Do you mean that enemies can't go through Regen Fields?

Because there's a video I just saw where enemies do just that.

Yeah I thought he was just talking about when its first deploys it sends people back....I have seen videos of pretty much anyone entering the regen field.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Do you mean that enemies can't go through Regen Fields?

Because there's a video I just saw where enemies do just that.

The one posted a little bit ago showed people being bounced back from it. I'll see if I can find it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKKBRvIV9ss&sns=em

Edit: This one

Edit 2: Either those guys are just jumping outside of it like morons, or it's pushing them back. OR third option it's just hard to see.

Edit 3: Ah, at the end one red does go in a blue regen field. Crisis averted, sorry it's been a long day and I'm tired so it looked like it was bouncing people back the first half of that video.

To me it looked like the HLS is easy enough to break, it doesn't last nearly long enough for shields to recharge (Shielding perk doesn't work in combat so don't count on it either). And its slow movement prevents escaping. I don't expect the HLS to be any trouble even in hands of a good player. But the Regen Field... Well, even if it is nerfed from Halo 3, i cannot think of it in any positive manner. It is going to be shitty regardless (if for nothing else than the fucking blowback).

I don't think you took what I said in a previous post into account:

-plant a regen field around the corner-
-get shot, run back into field to quickly start regenerating-
-enter back into fight with full shields-

^Same goes for your teammates who are using other AA's.. Thruster Pack into a teammate's Regen. Field for example.

And heckfu, I know it didn't seem like a problem at the time, but just imagine these scenarios once people finally get their hands on the game.. especially the better players. Now imagine a team of good players with one using the Regen. Field like this and you're partied up with nothing but randoms lol - Good game.

And back to Woorloog or anyone who isn't cautious with HLS, I don't think you're considering the HLS in a competent player's hand. I'm not going to ever be in battle with the HLS in the middle of an open area. I'm going to fight anywhere near a quick cover spot so I can deploy it, cause the enemy to rage because they're either out of the 'nades most people spam as soon as they can or because I used the HLS and slipped back into cover when they might've killed me otherwise (further pausing fights).

Talents

Banned
The one posted a little bit ago showed people being bounced back from it. I'll see if I can find it again.

Edit: This one

Edit 2: Either those guys are just jumping outside of it like morons, or it's pushing them back. OR third option it's just hard to see.

Edit 3: Ah, at the end one red does go in a blue regen field. Crisis averted, sorry it's been a long day and I'm tired so it looked like it was bouncing people back the first half of that video.

Man that guy was painful to watch play.

That boltshot looks so OP for a secondary, screw the primary weapons, the Boltshot is all you need to go 20-0.

I don't get how HLS is worrying at all, it goes out before they can even start recharging and all you have to do is plant a grenade at their feet to get him with splash damage, its not like he will lower your shields when using it but you sure as hell can lower his or finish off the kill while he is using it.

Now Hologram changes I do not like.

What about the times you don't have a grenade or another weapon that has a blast radius? You need a perk now to pick 'm up and if you aren't lucky enough to find some nades at their spawn point (are these random too?), you wouldn't be to do anything (except run up to them and melee 'm) to actually kill him.

So I just went through my bookshelves and realized I own four of the Halo books. I've read the first 3, and I also own Ghosts of Onyx, but I've never read it before.

Doing a little research, seems as if there are a few more out there, and the ones that immediately caught my attention were the Greg Bear authored ones that dive into the Forerunner mythology. Anyone ever read these before? How are they?

Might start reading these again since I'm getting pretty hyped for Halo 4. I really love the universe of the Halo games so I'm curious how these newer books turned out.

i have read the first greg bear book Halo: Cryptum and i'd say it's one of my favorites. some people dislike it because it has a rather slow pace, but i thought it was fascinating.

the consensus around here on the second book Halo: Primordium is that it is extremely slow, and boring, and monotonous up until the ending where there is a massive info dump. i haven't read it yet so i don't have an opinion on it.

i definitely recommend reading ghosts of onyx, because that's my favorite of all the halo books i have read.

i have heard good and bad things about contact harvest, cole protocol, and glasslands. but i haven't gotten around to those yet either.

wwm0nkey

What about the times you don't have a grenade or another weapon that has a blast radius? You need a perk now to pick 'm up and if you aren't lucky enough to find some nades at their spawn point (are these random too?), you wouldn't be to do anything (except run up to them and melee 'm) to actually kill him.

The HLS doesn't even last too long so unless they have a teammate in close radius you will be able to pick up that kill pretty quickly and then if you have a team mate on the left, right or behind him they are done for. When I used the HLS I for the most part thought it was useless and it didn't really slow things down either, maybe delayed the inevitable by 2 seconds.

So even without grenades or splash damage weapons taking out a HLS user isn't as hard as people are making it out to be.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
regen looks pretty well balanced. its slow to engage, and the shield regen in it appears to be quite a bit slower then typical shield recharge. could be a pain against a well organized team though. we'll see.

Sounds like you guys were using non-playing guests. That's been auto-detected by the Banhammer for four years now.

Don't care. We were all playing in a full party - we should be able to go into matchmaking and do whatever we want if that's the case. We weren't matched up with anyone.

I think not being able to get credits for a few hours/days/etc is a fair compromise for finally maxing out Reach. Now I just have the Library ones in CEA and Chasm Ten / ONI Alpha Site (the outside version)'s firefight achievements and I'll have all my Halo achievements! Excluding Wars which is absolute bullshit.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit:

Welcome to the page.

tumblr_m75pm0lBoU1ql141xo1_400.gif

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Believe it or not: You need the casuals.
This.

MLG is supposed to be different than the regular playlists, if they attempt to keep the settings/weapons/AA's the same then there is absolutely no point in the MLG playlist. You may aswell just play Team Slayer or Team Objective.
Whatever MLG intends it should not stray to far from the base game as in the way Reach MLG did.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
This.

I don't get it. Are you saying that the stock gametypes just won't be competitive?

I don't think MLG/competitive is synonymous with a stripped out Halo

Top Bottom