• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Pop

Ragnarok and The Mantis look phenomenal. Can't wait to actually see this on my screen in first person view. Also speaking about the ground texture, it's sandy. Looks great to me, maybe you guys just like ultra bright colors.

I really hope that the rockets spawn by pelican replaces the laser.

The mantis looks ridiculously powerful, it reminds me of the Sandtrap hornet... Missles and machine gun...

Well either way, it will only be the initial spawn, then the ordnance system takes over and you might not get a spawn in that location. Point being, even if you have laser top-mid, you're only guaranteed that once instead of laser top-mid every 3 minutes.

Kibbles

iX7u0R3XZ6S5A.gif

Someone gif that mantis tbag, now.

edit: Kibbles, I'm looking at you...

lol would've had it up right away but dat disgusting Silverlight.

What would be your top 10 Halo levels through all the games?

1. Halo:CE - Two Betrayals
  2. Halo:CE - 343 Guilty Spark
  3. Halo:CE - The Silent Cartographer
  4. Halo:CE - Halo
  5. Halo:CE - Assault on the Control Room
  6. Halo 2 - Delta Halo
  7. Halo 2 - Regret
  8. Halo 3 - The Ark
  9. Halo 3 - Sierra 117
  10. Halo 3 - The Covenant

Didn't know where to include ODST since it's basically one gigantic level. I'd place it somewhere in there if I knew how to break it up. Weird, I don't see any Reach levels in my list :p

feel

The map looks awesome in the wider FOV.

Water confirmed non-interactive, that's a shame, it really made the map extra special, but I understand they can't have it with the improved visuals. Still very pretty though.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
MUSIC SO GOOD

edit: please nobody call it dubstep please
Your reactions to HaloGAF photos and to Halo 4 trailer music have taught me that you are incredibly easy to please. :lol

Trailer is awesome. I'm really excited about the Mantis. It's effing huge! I kinda wish Ragnarok looked a bit more different than Valhalla, but I'm not too worried about it.

Im not feeling the visual look of Ragnarok..it looks like a mix of Valhalla and Tempest without the charm of either... swap out the dirt/sand for snow and it would have a lot of its character back. Right now it looks wayyyyy too plain. Too bad, Reflection showed how good a visual makeover can be for an old map.

rkggr.jpg

2821855-gallery.png

Ground looks better in Halo 3, not to mention more foliage.

Cool, we really need a comparison video from 343!

Oh, wow! Awesome stuff!

Ramirez

Guy in the vid says 2 lasers to kill a mech. =\

I see every game devolving into a game of capture the mechs, and lord help the other team if one side gets both, heh.

Steely, I know they were on there for the event, but Exile had like every vehicle known to man on it and 343 said it wasn't the final vehicle layout.

FyreWulff

Im not feeling the visual look of Ragnarok..it looks like a mix of Valhalla and Tempest without the charm of either... swap out the dirt/sand for snow and it would have a lot of its character back. Right now it looks wayyyyy too plain. Too bad, Reflection showed how good a visual makeover can be for an old map.

Things in play:

1) It appears to be a Midship -> Heretic style remake. Same overall geometry layout with a level of spitshine, instead of an overhaul like Avalanche, Reflection, etc.

2) This is the first 360 era map to be remade. There's going to be less of a dramatic jump than a 360 remake of an OXbox era map.

3) Ragnarok is also limited in that it's a wide open map. Less opportunity to go crazy with graphical effects like Reflection because you can see most of the map most of the time instead of one small part of it.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
There are a ton of visor colors in H4.

In the 9-minute video, guy says the laser still spawns top-mid at the beginning of the game.

but he was saying it took 2 shots to take out certain vehicles, as opposed to 1. Not to mention, 4 sniper shots in a banshee didn't do too much damage.

I am excite.

It was on CTF at the event this past week. Also, Infinity Slayer isn't some crazy mode, it's just Halo 4. The CTF matches I played were more fast paced and hectic than any of the Infinity Slayer games I played.

I jumped to this opinion the moment I originally saw it, but wanted to wait until official footage to comment, the think the Mantis looks awful. Seems completely out of place, and I was further disappointed in this video discovering how incredibly large it is. It's going to take some convincing for me on this one.
Absolutely agree. Mantis looks obnoxiously huge and more OP than the banshee. I'm sure it will fit in perfectly with the emphasis on vehicle combat that I've despised since halo 3. Looks like people running the field on foot get instantly obliterated by it. And I just don't see how it fits in the halo universe at all. Somewhere Kylej is laughing his head off.

Hopefully, it's only in specific game types within BTB similar to covenant heavies.

EDIT:
Goodbye Premuim Quality.
It's about time! lol

feel

The guy also says it takes two lasers to take down a Mantis. That sucks.
Sucks more getting into a badass looking vehicle and getting pulverized immediately by a red line out of nowhere. I don't see what's so difficult about hitting the slow thing twice with the laser if you're a somewhat decent player who knows how to use cover.

edit-

Without giving it much thought and possibly will regret it, I'll just say that big vehicles like the Warthog and Banshee shouldn't get destroyed by a single laser hit.

I wonder if there's any functional benefit to crouching
At the very least it could keep that giant dome just below the top of the hill and therefore out of sight of enemy snipers/lasers/railguns/Scorpions.

I doubt the Mantis will be OP. It's the tank Halo should've had instead of the Scorpion.

senador

Banned
Valhalla! So which of my guesses/theories about La Carta was right Stinkles?

I'm really excited about the map, and the way it looks, DMRs won't be a huge problem. Oh and lookie there, mancannons still intact.

The Mantis...kinda bums me out. I think it looks awkward and odd and makes it seem like its Heavies mode all the time. It just doesn't seem fitting for Halo. I'm with Yuhas, it'll take some convincing for me.

Things in play:

1) It appears to be a Midship -> Heretic style remake. Same overall geometry layout with a level of spitshine, instead of an overhaul like Avalanche, Reflection, etc.

2) This is the first 360 era map to be remade. There's going to be less of a dramatic jump than a 360 remake of an OXbox era map.

3) Ragnarok is also limited in that it's a wide open map. Less opportunity to go crazy with graphical effects like Reflection because you can see most of the map most of the time instead of one small part of it.
I kind of agree with demoncarnotaur. Simply swapping out the ground texture with something new would have kept the map geometry and game play completely the same, but it would have given it an upgraded look and feel. So bored of the halo 3 valhalla ground

EDIT: The ground in valhalla ranks very closely with how boring forge pieces look in Reach imo.

Absolutely agree. Mantis looks obnoxiously huge and more OP than the banshee. I'm sure it will fit in perfectly with the emphasis on vehicle combat that I've despised since halo 3. Looks like people running the field on foot get instantly obliterated by it. And I just don't see how it fits in the halo universe at all. Somewhere Kylej is laughing his head off.

Hopefully, it's only in specific game types within BTB similar to covenant heavies.

EDIT:

It's about time! lol

Seems like the perfect vehicle to counteract the banshee. It's got great ground control and can cover air as well.

Seems like the perfect vehicle to counteract the banshee. It's got great ground control and can cover air as well.
True, it would definitely be good for that. I just don't like the really big vehicles that are limited in number, which makes everyone not in one at a disadvantage. I do see potential for a mech-war game type where it's just mass chaos and mechs everywhere. Really need a bigger map with lots of hills and valleys for cover/protection though. Otherwise people won't last long.

Top Bottom