• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach & Bungie at GamesCom 2010

DrBo42

I don't know why I expected Reach to be Noble's first contact with the Covenant. Maybe it's because there's no mention of them in the opening cinematic, but that Deliver Hope trailer just blew my mind. If they're experienced in taking down a covie cruiser like it's no big deal, can't wait to see what they're capable of in Reach. Congratulations to everyone involved in that trailer, you guys absolutely nailed it.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Kimosabae said:
It's funny because I played the beta and loved the game, and enjoyed how it looked. I liked the muted tone of the colors that gave the game a more grounded visual flair. The final version I witnessed seemed to revert back to the highly colorized, plasticine look of H3 I never liked.

Anyway, I'm done. I'll let you guys return to your regularly scheduled cult gathering of consenting opinions.

In your defense, you probably saw the game being played...with one of those little lighting effects on. :p

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Kimosabae said:
It's funny because I played the beta and loved the game, and enjoyed how it looked. I liked the muted tone of the colors that gave the game a more grounded visual flair. The final version I witnessed seemed to revert back to the highly colorized, plasticine look of H3 I never liked.

Anyway, I'm done. I'll let you guys return to your regularly scheduled cult gathering of consenting opinions.

Here's the thing, actually, a couple of things. a) Who was playing the final game at your college campus and how?
b) There are a lot of things I don't find impressive or cool, and so to deal with that, one of the things I don't do, is drop into a thread about that thing and passively aggressively dismiss it based on a proxy opinion.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Here's the thing, actually, a couple of things. a) Who was playing the final game at your college campus and how?
b) There are a lot of things I don't find impressive or cool, and so to deal with that, one of the things I don't do, is drop into a thread about that thing and passively aggressively dismiss it based on a proxy opinion.
Did you follow my clue with the german Halo Reach gamer?

Kimosabae said:
scott_victory.gif

DancingJesus said:
A little late to the party but that live action spot was awesome. Really well done. Nothing looked cheesy or fake or even melodramatic. Excellent trailer.

I wonder if this will be played on TV.

...even when the guy guy flew hundreds of feet up entered the enemy ship with no resistance and was able to have to have a wonder round?
The ODST live action stuff was way better then this.

Stinkles

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
...even when the guy guy flew hundreds of feet up entered the enemy ship with no resistance and was able to have to have a wander round?

This very discussion was had, you won't be surprised to learn. If you watch the commercial with the following perspective:

"What kind of things can I do in a Halo game and what kinds of impossible mission are Spartans tasked with?" then it shouldn't be too surprising.

And there is of course the small fact that while you don't play this mission verbatim in Reach, it has certainly been hinted that you do things of this scale and magnitude.

Mad Max said:
I hear bungie had to reduce the grapical quality so they could include armor effects.
I'm not saying this is true, but it isn't far off from what was said at PAX last year by Bungie at their panel.

- In response to no BR in ODST. -
"We have a very limited resource pool with memory, everything that we try to jam into this game. When we looked at the two new weapons, they actually sort of split the functionality of the Battle Rifle. And as we started adding all of the signage and sort of all the texture... We always struggle at the end of the project to get everything to fit and a weapon is actually a very expensive resource for us... We really wanted to add more to the environment side to bring the city to life, which meant the game-play aspect sort of (can't make out the rest)"

Youtube Link

Mad Max

Devin Olsen said:
I'm not saying this is true, but it isn't far off from what was said at PAX last year by Bungie at their panel.

*This is not the exact quote, but roughly what was said*
"We wanted a rich environment, weapons take up a lot of memory... The BR was ultimately cut so we had more room for signs and billboards"

I remember, but obviously bungie was just taking the piss there.. :lol

Wizman23

Banned
LAUGHTREY said:
You need to spoiler tag stuff like that anyway, the books and the game have been proven time again to not be correlated in any way. All we know is that
Reach falls

And if this is how she lost her arm, she lands and they look fine. Hopefully there's more of this or a longer version. This stuff is always great.
I'm not spoiler tagging shit that was said in the first vidoc from 8 months ago.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Wizman23 said:
I hope you teabagged Gertsman
Haha, I may have when I was on video hosts name to make it humilating to be killed by a chick. To be honest, on a scale from 1-10 id label myself as a 6 player. Yesterday though, I truly felt I was a 9 or 10 since the competition was a breeze. Only lost two game types: king of the hill and juggernaut. The other 10 or so matches my team or I won with only one other journalist getting close to my k/d count. Microsoft had a few reps from bungie and ms there (not sure if they were devs) but they weren't nearly as good as I was expecting.

Fantastic times for sure.

Monocle

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
...even when the guy guy flew hundreds of feet up entered the enemy ship with no resistance and was able to have to have a wonder round?
The ODST live action stuff was way better then this.
Deliver Hope strikes me as a proof of concept piece meant to let viewers sample the tone and scale of Reach. There are more suitable venues for the kind of logical narrative you seem to have been expecting. I'd sooner expect to see Frankie sporting a fu-manchu during his next Halo interview than find out the average viewer can't connect with Deliver Hope because its ending seems too convenient.

Oozer3993

Shake Appeal said:
Yeah, you can use any legit, previously unused key up until a couple of months after launch. Zeouter's gonna try and grab me a cheap copy from his local GAME, fingers crossed.

Who knows, I may even play it! Especially if it works with a 360 pad.

It works pretty nicely with a 360 pad. Except there's zero deadzone. The slightest bump will cause Master Chief to move. I still donged on some fools yesterday, even with that handicap.

Devin Olsen said:

"We have a very limited resource pool with memory, everything that we try to jam into this game. When we looked at the two new weapons, they actually sort of split the functionality of the Battle Rifle. And as we started adding all of the signage and sort of all the texture... We always struggle at the end of the project to get everything to fit and a weapon is actually a very expensive resource for us... We really wanted to add more to the environment side to bring the city to life, which meant the game-play aspect sort of (can't make out the rest)"

Youtube Link

They were just making something up because they couldn't say the real reason: Getting you prepared for life without it in Reach. Playing through ODST again a couple days ago really highlighted the similarities between the 2 games. Shorter jump height, return of health and health packs, a default weapon being a powerful pistol with a scope, a story focused around you and your team. All differences from the previous 2 Halo games. ODST is closer to Reach than to Halo 3 in several respects, and I don't think that was by accident.

Leotarius

As far as the limited memory discussion, I'm thinking that removing the flood from Reach (if true, don't know, I haven't played the final game) opened up a BUNCH more memory for Bungie to mess around with. The armor abilities then shouldn't have been that taxing on the memory.

That was so awesome. It was really, really well made. I just would have liked to see more. Any chance of an extended cut?

ManCannon said:
Speculation is awesome. :)
I've spoiler tagged our perspective on this ad:

you guys nailed it - essentially this is Kat pre-arm loss - the mission in which she lost it - and presumably the original noble six you replace at the start of Reach the game. This was Bungies position, that it's not actually on Reach - but its intentionally nebulous. Casual fans won't care and will assume it's Reach, hardcore fans know it cant be. You guys are Halo CSI - can't get nuthin past you :D

Glad people enjoy it, turned out pretty sweet overall IMO.

Time for mega marketing to glass your wallets. :lol

Ok, makes sense. Its too bad some things like that weren't more obvious like the loss of the arm, carter assassinating the elite, etc. Also, does the first Noble 6 die here? Or does he make it out?

ElRenoRaven

Shake Appeal said:
Yes. A lot of people on the Bungie forums are so mad at Bungle now because it means the flair will be devauled or something.

Jesus some people need to grow the hell up. Bungie is damned if they do and damned if they don't. I have both Halo PC and Marathon flair waiting on me and you know what. I don't give a damn who else unlocks it. Some 12 year old running out to buy Halo PC at the last second isn't going to make the tons of fun I had on Halo PC any less fun then it was. It's not going to make the memories I have of Halo PC any less memorable.

Miggytronz

Demoncarnotaur said:
Ok, makes sense. Its too bad some things like that weren't more obvious like the loss of the arm, carter assassinating the elite, etc. Also, does the first Noble 6 die here? Or does he make it out?

we're assuming he died.

Demoncarnotaur said:
That was so awesome. It was really, really well made. I just would have liked to see more. Any chance of an extended cut?

That's who you're replacing.

Stinkles

Demoncarnotaur said:

A two minute version with way more stuff in it would be super awesome. Do it Bungle!

Flipyap

Kimosabae said:

That's great news, thanks dude!

I hope there are rainbows.

Doodis

From the press release:

"An extended version of “Deliver Hope” will debut exclusively on YouTube the week of Sept. 6."

soldat7

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:

I know. It looked like it was based off of a video game or something.

FourDoor

Wow, that live action trailer is pretty epic. Glad to hear the backstory confirmation too from mancannon. :D

And judging a games graphics based on college campus setups seems a little questionable to me??? :lol

Which reminds me, is there a video and audio setup feature in Reach like there was in the previous game? I forgot if it was H2 or H3 that had it, but I loved hearing the grunt voice scream out speaker locations. "FFFRRRONT LEFFFT!" and of course who could forget the Hunter sub LFE. LOL :lol

aesop

FourDoor said:
And judging a games graphics based on college campus setups seems a little questionable to me??? :lol
I'm all for tearing down a troll but it doesn't take a $10,000 setup to see a difference in graphics.

Besides, really, who cares? I loved the way Halo 3 looked and feel that it's graphics still hold up (all except for the human faces). So, if graphics troll #5000 says it looks like Halo 3, then I say, "awesome, as long as it doesn't play like MW2."

geoffmk

Geoff Keighley
We'll have a behind the scenes piece and interview with the director of the live action spot on tomorrow night's GTTV. Cool stuff.

ElRenoRaven

geoffmk said:
We'll have a behind the scenes piece and interview with the director of the live action spot on tomorrow night's GTTV. Cool stuff.

Sweet. I can't wait to watch. Got it dvr'd because I want to skip the campaign stuff but the rest of the stuff about Reach I'll be watching without a doubt. You can't tell us in what part of the reach coverage the campaign stuff is appearing can you?

FourDoor

aesop said:
I'm all for tearing down a troll but it doesn't take a $10,000 setup to see a difference in graphics.

Besides, really, who cares? I loved the way Halo 3 looked and feel that it's graphics still hold up (all except for the human faces). So, if graphics troll #5000 says it looks like Halo 3, then I say, "awesome, as long as it doesn't play like MW2."

LOL I like the MW2 comparison, although we did hear a lot of people comparing Reach's sprint and loadouts to MW2. ;)

Either way, I know it doesn't take a $10k setup to see graphic difference between 2 games but I just can't help but think most of the college kids pirating Reach might also be playing on no name, horrible refresh rate tv sets from Walmart that they got for $199 on special. (yes I know thats a broad stroke at college dorm life but hey, we used to play Golden Eye on a 20" RCA tube TV and thought that was awesome at split screen!) :D

GhaleonEB

Deadly Cyclone said:
Looks like Reach reviews will be coming September 11 at 9pm PST. That is when IGN will be posting theirs so I assume that is the cutoff.
That's consistent with the review embargoes for Halo 2, Halo 3 and ODST. So yeah, I'd expect the deluge to land then.

Top Bottom