• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Off Screen Images

dead_space_ea_video_game_image__2_.jpg

4 independent light sources, just from the character models themselves. Not to mention the surrounding environment.

The screenshot doesn't do this game justice.

Cold-Steel said:
Ajemsuhgao, all you just did was verify that none of the lights in the backdrop have any impact whatsoever on the environment.

There is like one, maybe two (?) independent light sources going on in any of those screens not to mention that the Halo screen grab utility makes the game look far better than it actually is.

Clearly you've never actually seen any Halo map in an editor before, or even Gears maps.

How can you even praise Gears, or any UE3 game for lighting? None of the UE3 lights have "any impact whatsoever on the environment". There are plenty of independent light sources in an Unreal engine game, but none of them ever do anything. That would actually hurt the Unreal engine on characters most likely, seeing as how it relies so heavily on Normal maps.

Cold-Steel said:
Wow the sword glows. Check out the Force Unleashed.

It's not..just the sword glowing. The sword gives off its own light. As do plasma grenades, and I believe plasma shots do as well. There are quite a few variable light sources in Halo games.

Wow the models glow with lights on them. Check out Gears of War 2, COG soldiers.

Gears actually doesn't do this. That light isn't actually light. It's an "emissive" material used by Unreal, that takes whatever the source texture is, and fakes a glow. Pretty much just a controlled specular bloom, on specific parts of a model.

The Halo 3 engine's lighting is fairly impressive. It's not used that well in Halo 3, though. So while you may think it looks like shit, it has the capability to be quite good(even you said so, with ODST).

EDIT:
Cold-Steel said:
dead_space_ea_video_game_image__2_.jpg

4 independent light sources, just from the character models themselves. Not to mention the surrounding environment.

The screenshot doesn't do this game justice.

Uh? I count 2. The flashlight, and the menu..nav, whatever that thing is on his chest(haven't played Dead Space since it first came out, don't really remember much). The meter on his back doesn't give off any light whatsoever. It's just a self illumination map.

scently

Domino Theory said:
:lol

The leaked screens are all from Campaign.

Seriously.

Oh and Protip: If you play Firefight on Alpha Site and go to the lobby where Rockets are and look at the small, U shaped barricades that have the rectangular gloryholes on them, the texture work and lighting on those objects are EXACTLY like that of Chief's armor from the Halo 3 E3 06 trailer.
Look, I know exactly what I am saying, believe me whenever i play halo 3, the very first stage still blows my mind in terms of detail and the GODLY lighting (oh, and by the way the game's lighting is still unmatched in consoles imao), but the e3 trailer is just exactly what i would like halo to look like or better than that. That said these leaked pics gives me hope bcos the detail on the guns are incredible.

Ajemsuhgao said:
Or you need to learn more about lighting in game engines, instead of just going off what you see and think. :lol

Wrong, just wrong.

Read this:

http://www.ps3vault.com/killzone-2’s-lighting-engine-overview-1898

I don't like bringing this in here, because we're here to talk about Halo but since you haven't played Dead Space - you are clearly going off what you see and think.

URL is down, here's the story:

Here's an in-depth review of the lighting engine used for Killzone 2:

Please Note: All of the images in this page were exported directly from the HD Quicktime movies located on Gametrailers.com, resized in Photoshop and compressed to JPG format for faster loading times. I tried to preserve the image quality as best as I can without giving you heavy file sizes.

All images are from actual Real-Time gameplay.

------

Get to know your lighting

Lighting is the most important part of any graphical asset in a video game. Without proper lighting, even the most high definition textures and carefully modeled polygon characters/environments will simply look like crap. Lighting is what makes these beautifully designed games come to life.

There are just TWO types of lighting possible: direct and indirect. Each have their own sub-categories like soft, harsh, diffused, etc. But there are ONLY two! It's the mixture of these two which can provide a truly visceral experience.

Killzone 2 uses a multitude of lighting effects applied in real-time on a situation-by-situation basis. This is by far the most complex and impressive lighting engine created for a console video game. Everything you see in Killzone 2 is made possible by the lighting engine. If you turn it off, you will simply have a black screen - this is VERY important to remember. Most video games do not use this type of lighting because it's not only difficult to code - but uses an enormous amount of processing power.

The visibility in most games is attributed to only to the actual textures which are applied to objects in a game. Turn off the lighting in game X and you will still be able to see the room or area you're in. This is static and pre-canned environmental lighting. In Killzone 2, everything you see is affected by ambient and direct light sources. If there is no light source nearby... there is no light... you will not be able to see anything. The color of ANY level can be dynamically changed by the color of the lighting engine.

I've heard a LOT of complaints about "It's too GRAY!" from the E3 footage. Stupid people still exist! The level that was shown was under a looming thunderstorm... it's no wonder everything is drab and gray... because the SKY is drab and gray. This is how lighting affects the environment. Imagine a hot, sweltering day where the sun is beaming down on you hard: everything will be bright, possibly reddish or tan like a desert. That same scorching hot day can drastically change with the weather - thusly completely changing your environment and everything in it via AMBIENT lighting or Indirect lighting.

Examples

In no particular order:

Our first example of lighting is probably the most prominent in the game: Muzzle Flash. This occurs when firing any number of different weapons. This light is Direct with mixtures of soft, harsh, diffusion and color. The color will no doubt be affected by the type of weapon you are firing. Some may be orange-ish, some may be more fluorescent. Take a look at the picture below to see just how this uses direct/indirect lighting to not only change the Helghast in front of your gun, but the environment as well:

Aside from the Muzzle Flash - you will notice yet ANOTHER detail associated with firing a weapon: Muzzle Flare! I believe this is a replacement for the typical LENS FLARE effect we see in many games. This is being used instead because... HEY! We don't run around with cameras in our faces when we're in battle (that's just how we roll)... so why should we get lens flare? Take note in the next picture the purple flare effect you see when firing your weapon:

Impressed yet? Keep reading.

Next I'd like to show just how advance and beautiful the Self-Shadowing is being done on players/enemies in Killzone 2. This uses a mixture of direct, soft and diffused lighting to help create shadows that are proper, SOFT (not jagged) and diffused. This is probably the most complex self-shadowing we have seen in a real-time game. Take special note that the characters do NOT use any Bump-Mapping for effect. All detail in clothing/armor are achieved through EXTREMELY high amounts of polygon detail: Note the subtleness of the diffusion being applied to both the lighting and shadows on this Mini-Boss and how it helps make his incredible detail simply "pop"!

Diffusion is one of the most impressive and realistic effects you can have applied in-game. This emulates exactly how real light would affect an object. Take a look at this example of diffusion: see how the muzzle flash is affecting the shattering box? The closer to the nozzle the wood fragments are - the brighter the light will be. Note how each individual piece of wood also affects the other fragments with indirect lighting - attributing to the stunning detail of proper soft shadowing!

Here's another great example of diffusion being used in conjunction with ambient lighting and proper self and soft shadowing. Take note in Sev's brow, cheek, lips and ridge of his nose. This is how ambient lighting being refracted off of the clouds will affect players/environments in Killzone 2.

Direct lighting is lighting that is being cast on a player/object in the environment from a specific light source such as a street light, desk lamp, candle, fire, etc. Take a look at this next example of a Helghast trooper underneath a light - note the incredible level of detail in his clothing that begins to "pop" simply from a few wrinkles:

This is probably my favorite example of how detailed and accurate the lighting engine in this game is. Someone (a hater) said in a post that the Helghast's masks aren't actually lit up - that they are simply textures - because such minute details don't need that much attention. Here's proof that this naysayer was DEAD wrong. Note how the goggles on this trooper's mask light up his SLEEVE and the shadowing that is being created on his face-mask and sleeve because of this light. ALSO take note of this incredibly small detail of INDIRECT LIGHTING: take a look at the front of the helmet... notice the ambient lighting coming from the sleeve of the trooper is affecting his helmet? Remember... his goggles are UNDERNEATH the brim of his helmet. Goggles shine on to sleeve - sleeve then reflects diffused lighting onto the helmet... IMPRESSIVE!

Explosions: Need I say more? Note how the light coming from the explosion is even affecting the air-duct and pipes underneath running just up and to the left of that poor Helghast who got his *** BLOWN TO SMITHEREENZ!

Lightning - Zeus commands it... now the Helghast do, too! Notice how this flash of lightning drastically changes the overall color of the environment. The fluorescent color of the lightning is what attributes to this environmental change. It also affects you (well... you can see your gun) and the Helghast. The color of the lightning is directly attributed to the color of the surrounding clouds - the fluorescence of lightning helps remove the muting typically associated with soft lighting. Fluorescent lighting is often noted as "Harsh" lighting because it is unnatural. Also take not how the lightning makes certain details of the cement curb "pop" like small holes and imperfections.

Let's take one last look at all of the lighting elements combined into a single shot. Note the direct, indirect, soft, ambient, harsh, colored and diffused lighting along with proper self, soft, and diffused shadowing.

Additional info:
SantiagoFlores said: "The sequence of pictures at the end illustrated the drastic changes in the surface caused by different light sources. Not many games use that quantity of resources to only light and shadow.

Another feature is that lights have regions of illumination. These sources cast partial shadows in a limited field.

We have more than four or five sources of light emitters. There are global sources, partial sources that radiate small fields, flashes, fixed lights that display shadows projected in the floor in combination, and some sources behave like dimmers."
This is one impressive lighting engine to say the least. Remember, naysayers, this is Real-Time!

Cold-Steel said:
Wrong, just wrong.

Read this:

http://www.ps3vault.com/killzone-2’s-lighting-engine-overview-1898

I don't like bringing this in here, because we're here to talk about Halo but since you haven't played Dead Space - you are clearly going off what you see and think.

I have played Dead Space. I said I've played Dead Space. That article has nothing to do with Dead Space.

Killzone 2 does have amazing lighting. I wasn't one of the people that said Halo 3 has the best on consoles. Saying Halo 3's lighting is shit though, is just wrong.

And here's a presentation on Dead Space, with video!

http://www.aeropause.com/2008/08/dead-space-lighting-effects-presentation/

Ajemsuhgao said:
I have played Dead Space. I said I've played Dead Space. That article has nothing to do with Dead Space.

Killzone 2 does have amazing lighting. I wasn't one of the people that said Halo 3 has the best on consoles. Saying Halo 3's lighting is shit though, is just wrong.

You said you barely remember much of Dead Space, did you beat the game? The lighting gets progressively more impressive as you get deeper into the game. Watch the vid I posted.

And yeah I said it, Halo 3 has shit lighting. The improvements made in the engine by ODST have made the game look considerably better than its predecessor.

feel

Cold-Steel said:
Ajemsuhgao, all you just did was verify that none of the lights in the backdrop have any impact whatsoever on the environment.

Wow the sword glows. Check out the Force Unleashed.

Wow the models glow with lights on them. Check out Gears of War 2, COG soldiers.

There is like one, maybe two (?) independent light sources going on in any of those screens not to mention that the Halo screen grab utility makes the game look far better than it actually is.
You are misunderstanding what they mean by lightning... it's not the pretty colorful ones shinning everywhere, but the global lightning of the gameworld. In some Halo 3 maps, you step outside, and it's like as if you're really out in the open under sunlight. The way everything looks under the sun's brightness is just eerily realistic. Other games on console haven't done this effect so well, kz2 and uncharted2 despite having the best graphics on console, don't come close in this regard.

Speaking of Uncharted 2 (since I don't wanna go into the official topic and get spoiled), I'm a bit more than midway through it, and unless they pull off a kojima, it'll sincerely be the best campaign this gen so far IMO. Incredible stuff.

Cold-Steel said:
Okay, listen. Watch the Dead Space presentation and get back to me. Simply because I don't want this thread to boil into a flame war over systems.

Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2 do it better than Halo 3 anyways.
I have all the consoles and play all the awesome games in whatever system they're on, I'm not 12 years old so I could care less about the pathetic fanboy discussions, I was just stating my opinion. But I do see your point now. But let's just move along.

Letters said:
You are misunderstanding what they mean by lightning... it's not the pretty colorful ones shinning everywhere, but the global lightning of the gameworld. In some Halo 3 maps, you step outside, and it's like as if you're really out in the open under sunlight. The way everything looks under the sun's brightness is just eerily realistic. Other games on console haven't done this effect so well, kz2 and uncharted2 despite having the best graphics on console, don't come close in this regard.

Okay, listen. Watch the Dead Space presentation and get back to me. Simply because I don't want this thread to boil into a flame war over systems.

EazyB

Banned
Cold-Steel said:

Who's this dude and why's he so mad?

Killzone 2, Uncharted 2, and maybe Far Cry 2 have better lighting. Then again they weren't released in 2007.
I can't think of many games that did lighting better than Halo 3 did at release, and I absolutely expect Bungie to set another high bar next year. Better be in 720p with some AA though.

Since it's a new engine I think they're gonna go balls to the wall with 720p at 30fps stable. AA is questionable but if anyone can do it - Bungie can, especially with a new engine.

The detail in the weapons is hot. It will probably translate over into the environments as well.

EazyB

Banned
Cold-Steel said:
Since it's a new engine I think they're gonna go balls to the wall with 720p at 30fps stable. AA is questionable but if anyone can do it - Bungie can, especially with a new engine.

The detail in the weapons is hot. It will probably translate over into the environments as well.
I really hope so. And while my experience with CE would've been drastically hampered without the inclusion of 4-player splitscreen, if limiting it to 2 players makes it so that they could push the engine harder and with a better resolution, I'd love it if they'd make that sacrifice. Totally selfish reasons but I'd figure in the age of online gaming and co-op it wouldn't be as big of a deal now as it used to be.

Magni

EazyB said:
I really hope so. And while my experience with CE would've been drastically hampered without the inclusion of 4-player splitscreen, if limiting it to 2 players makes it so that they could push the engine harder and with a better resolution, I'd love it if they'd make that sacrifice. Totally selfish reasons but I'd figure in the age of online gaming and co-op it wouldn't be as big of a deal now as it used to be.

How hard is it to "turn off" graphic options for 3 or 4-player split-screen? PC games let you choose tons of graphic settings, maybe Bungie could code the game so that we'd get the full graphics if we're playing solo or 2-player split-screen, and turn off some resource hoggers when more people are on the console?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Cold-Steel said:

11537_324581430726_540780726_9650155_7522683_n.jpg

Not a single jaggy in sight. :p

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
So many people talking about graphics... you can tell there are expectations, sadly I doubt Bungie will deliver specially with the scale of the game.
Domino Theory said:
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs008.snc3/11537_324581430726_540780726_9650155_7522683_n.jpg

Are you saying you can tell there is AA from that picture? Even if that picture was running at 720p you have to remember there will be more elements and details added so the resolution is not fixed yet.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
godhandiscen said:
So many people talking about graphics... you can tell there are expectations, sadly I doubt Bungie will deliver specially with the scale of the game.

Are you saying you can tell there is AA from that picture? Even if that picture was running at 720p you have to remember there will be more elements and details added so the resolution is not fixed yet.

Still, shit looks smooth, man.

I_D

godhandiscen said:

Are you saying you can tell there is AA from that picture? Even if that picture was running at 720p you have to remember there will me more elements and details added so the resolution is not fixed yet.

Scale is equally as important or more important than graphical fidelity, IMO.

I personally doubt that Halo Reach will ever match games like Uncharted 2 or Killzone 2 in terms of raw screenshot potential. The scale of the levels combined with the action on screen combined with bomb-ass lighting combined with killer AI, etc, etc, etc. could easily surpass those two games, however. There's a sense that Bungie (or at least GAF :lol ) wants this to be the new Halo: CE, in terms of impact. That's going to take a heck of a game, but it's not like Bungie's never done it before.

And as far as jaggies... I think the smiley face meant he was joking. ;)

godhandiscen

Domino Theory said:
Still, shit looks smooth, man.
Yeah, as smooth as Halo 3 looked in off screen pictures. Also, I want to be wrong, but I think I can see the aliasing in that picture. On the fluorescent light on top of the window.
Immortal_Daemon said:
Scale is equally as important or more important than graphical fidelity, IMO.

I personally doubt that Halo Reach will ever match games like Uncharted 2 or Killzone 2 in terms of raw screenshot potential. The scale of the levels combined with the action on screen combined with bomb-ass lighting combined with killer AI, etc, etc, etc. could easily surpass those two games, however. There's a sense that Bungie (or at least GAF :lol ) wants this to be the new Halo: CE, in terms of impact. That's going to take a heck of a game, but it's not like Bungie's never done it before.

And as far as jaggies... I think the smiley face meant he was joking. ;)

Ohh I love the scale, and I don't care what needs to be sacrifized to get epic battles. It is just that all this "its a new engine talk" is raising expectations, and in the end, people will be dissapointed. A real fan of Halo should be looking forward towards the new gameplay improvements rather than the graphics.

Ajemsuhgao said:
I wish Halo 3 had this IQ, it would be the best looking game ever.

I feel like with Reach we are finally going to get the Halo we should have gotten. Even though H3 is really solid I feel like engine wise Bungie was forced to compromise due to time or because the engine had started on the original xbox and was brought over or something, I don't know what the reason but you can tell they had to make sacrifices. Now they can take their time and really go crazy with the visuals. I mean Halo 1 and Halo 2 were pinacles of what the xbox could do and Reach should be no different.

As a total aside I am still annoyed as hell over Luke Smiths comment "Gears of what.." that would spiral my imagination out of control over what visual splendor awaited me with H3.

That said fuck you luke smith.

godhandiscen

BruceLeeRoy said:
I feel like with Reach we are finally going to get the Halo we should have gotten. Even though H3 is really solid I feel like engine wise Bungie was forced to compromise due to time or because the engine had started on the original xbox and was brought over or something, I don't know what the reason but you can tell they had to make sacrifices. Now they can take their time and really go crazy with the visuals. I mean Halo 1 and Halo 2 were pinacles of what the xbox could do and Reach should be no different.

As a total aside I am still annoyed as hell over Luke Smiths comment "Gears of what.." that would spiral my imagination out of control over what visual splendor awaited me with H3.

The Halo 3 engine has to make compromises due to its scale. Halo 3 has the biggest battles out there. The closes any other FPS comes to epic battles in terms of scale is the Crysis warhead last battle, and even then, you are only fighting 1 single huge alien, whereas in Halo 3 you fight against 2 scarabs, 4 banshees and there is a whole land based combat going on at the same time. THAT IS SCALE.

godhandiscen said:
The Halo 3 engine has to make compromises due to its scale. Halo 3 has the biggest battles out there. The closes any other FPS comes to epic battles in terms of scale is the Crysis warhead last battle, and even then, you are only fighting 1 single huge alien, whereas in Halo 3 you fight against 2 scarabs, 4 banshees and there is a whole land based combat going on at the same time. THAT IS SCALE.

Thats very true it has some great battles but I think the full impact that the scale could have is lost with the graphics. When you said this:
fight against 2 scarabs, 4 banshees and there is a whole land based combat going on at the same time.

I had to think back to when that happened and I realized damn your right that was all going on at once. However, because not really one of those elements was demanding your attention like say Crysis it doesn't stand out as much to me. So with Reach I hope we get the best of both worlds.

feel

Plywood said:
Where has Luke been, I haven't seen him post in forever.
Out of curiosity did a quick search to see when was his last post and apparently he now dedicates his gaf life to trolling the Madden thread in the online forum.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Letters said:
Out of curiosity did a quick search to see when was his last post and apparently he now dedicates his gaf life to trolling the Madden thread in the online forum.
He's become addicted to Madden and game-fuel. D:

godhandiscen

Lostconfused said:
Ahem, I believe you are forgetting the tank battle
As fun as that battle is, all the elements do not happen at once. In a single screen you don't see more than 2 tanks at a time. I am not saying Halo 3 is better looking, more graphically demanding or more fun, I am just saying it has more active elements at a time.

godhandiscen said:
As fun as that battle is, all the elements do not happen at once. In a single screen you don't see more than 2 tanks at a time. I am not saying Halo 3 is better looking, more graphically demanding or more fun, I am just saying it has more active elements at a time.
I was referring to the scale of the level. But honestly I am not going to argue this point because I am afraid ARMA trumps every other game when it comes to that.

godhandiscen

Lostconfused said:
I was referring to the scale of the level. But honestly I am not going to argue this point because I am afraid ARMA trumps every other game when it comes to that.
Ohh forgot about ARMA 2... yeah, no console game can compete against it.

BruceLeeRoy said:

:lol :lol

Whatever the argument over lighting in Halo 3, Halo 3 and ODST have, unquestionably, the best skyboxes on consoles.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Halo is the franchise that is synonymous with the console, it's like the freaking champion of the army, it's the most important game.

And Halo 3 looking average like it did visually, is just incomprehensible as i'm sure resources were not what was lacking during development.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Nice. They are using the same monitor as me. I love the rose red TOC. Fail at still having the noob stickers on it though.

Game looks decent for off screen grabs also.

godhandiscen said:

In a single screen you can see as many tanks as the level can toss at you if you want, your not getting a scripted event in Crysis, all the enemies and tanks are populating this big open level and if you are to move forward you will draw in a fuck ton of enemies, while still having freedom of movement in the level to go wherever you want and have crazy shit like the mountain collapsing going on.

Domino Theory said:
11537_324581430726_540780726_9650155_7522683_n.jpg

Not a single straight line either, it's all blur! Blur filter extreme!

We will have to wait and see it in action really.

danwarb

Cold-Steel said:
Killzone 2 has like 8 independent light sources per model.
Uncharted 2 is an obvious candidate.

If we're talking 360 games, Gears of War 2 has a fantastic lighting system. Dead Space is another game. Forza 3's lighting system is the reason it looks so fucking good.

Halo 3 has shit lighting. You guys clearly need help.

Even ODST has better lighting.
You know Halo 3 can have tons of dynamic light sources on screen, have you ever seen the game? Number of dynamic lights /= quality of overall lighting. Crackdown does ~2000?

Their GI and HDR is nice. I haven't seen better on 360.

An overview of HALO 3's unique lighting and material system and its main components.

Halo 3's HDR is the best implementation of the effect i've seen just about anywhere. yes, they sacrificed resolution to do it. yes it's a CRAZY implementation that was at the cost of lots of other elements of the visuals... but it's unquestionably beautiful.

Dead Space doesn't even HAVE HDR lighting, even though it has lighting that is great in it's own way.

it isn't even debatable. Halo 3 has incredible HDR lighting. Dead Space has NO HDR lighting. end of.

Gui_PT

Hello Bungle. To make Halo Reach a better game, I would like to have chest high walls everywhere. Thank you very much.

Seriously now, something I'd want in the game - even though unfortunately, it probably won't happen - is to see the Matchmaking fixed. It's so unfair when you're playing team games and everyone on your team turns emo and decides to leave the match forcing you to choose between quitting or ruining your K/D ratio.
Not sure if it's even possible to take care of that, but it'd be nice.

Another thing that would be great would be to change the AI back to something between Halo CE and Halo 2. Those were so much more difficult games. Seeing elites hiding after being shot so their shields could recharge. Or actually hearing them plan an ambush, or trying to flank you instead of just being boring giant monkeys that simply hang around 'til you show up and start shooting.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Gui_PT said:
Hello Bungle. To make Halo Reach a better game, I would like to have chest high walls everywhere. Thank you very much.

Seriously now, something I'd want in the game - even though unfortunately, it probably won't happen - is to see the Matchmaking fixed. It's so unfair when you're playing team games and everyone on your team turns emo and decides to leave the match forcing you to choose between quitting or ruining your K/D ratio.
Not sure if it's even possible to take care of that, but it'd be nice.

Another thing that would be great would be to change the AI back to something between Halo CE and Halo 2. Those were so much more difficult games. Seeing elites hiding after being shot so their shields could recharge. Or actually hearing them plan an ambush, or trying to flank you instead of just being boring giant monkeys that simply hang around 'til you show up and start shooting.

Elites are back, baby! I wouldn't be surprised if they re-wrote the AI code for the Elites either, as they haven't been the big bad guys since Halo 2. They heavily changed the Brutes from 2 to 3, so I imagine they'll ivest in changing the Elites too.

I don't think they'll ruin the Elite's shields by taking away their recharging. Individual Elites are so much tougher than Individual Brutes, I'd be annoyed if Reach Elites are essentially re-skinned Brutes.

Dax01 said:
Whatever the argument over lighting in Halo 3, Halo 3 and ODST have, unquestionably, the best skyboxes on consoles.

Without a doubt. Half life 2 has some really good ones too but Bungie still comes out ahead with H3.

Gui_PT

Dani said:
Elites are back, baby! I wouldn't be surprised if they re-wrote the AI code for the Elites either, as they haven't been the big bad guys since Halo 2. They heavily changed the Brutes from 2 to 3, so I imagine they'll ivest in changing the Elites too.

I don't think they'll ruin the Elite's shields by taking away their recharging. Individual Elites are so much tougher than Individual Brutes, I'd be annoyed if Reach Elites are essentially re-skinned Brutes.

Elites! It's been so long since we fought them :'(

What ruined the enemies was not so much the fact that they changed to Brutes, but those breakable armors. One Plasma Pistol charge and that's it; armor is gone, they go berserker and then just shoot them once in the head.
If you did that to an Elite, he would awesomely hide and wait for his shield to recharge.

Man, I remember Halo CE on Legendary. You had to charge in or their shields would just keep coming back.
I also remember crying many many times because of that :lol

But as you said, they'll
hopefully
probably re-write the AI code.

Magni

Gui_PT said:
Elites! It's been so long since we fought them :'(

What ruined the enemies was not so much the fact that they changed to Brutes, but those breakable armors. One Plasma Pistol charge and that's it; armor is gone, they go berserker and then just shoot them once in the head.
If you did that to an Elite, he would awesomely hide and wait for his shield to recharge.

Man, I remember Halo CE on Legendary. You had to charge in or their shields would just keep coming back.
I also remember crying many many times because of that :lol

But as you said, they'll
hopefully
probably re-write the AI code.

H3 Brutes were better than the H2 ones, but that's not saying much. I wouldn't mind seeing Brutes in Reach as long as it doesn't fuck with the story, but I really need some 'Wort Wort Wort!' Elites from Halo 1. The ones that actually felt alien. That's one of the reasons Halo CE's campaign is still my favorite of the series, you felt like you were fighting intelligent others, aliens, not dumb furries and shakespearan dinosaurs.

plagiarize said:
Halo 3's HDR is the best implementation of the effect i've seen just about anywhere. yes, they sacrificed resolution to do it. yes it's a CRAZY implementation that was at the cost of lots of other elements of the visuals... but it's unquestionably beautiful.

Dead Space doesn't even HAVE HDR lighting, even though it has lighting that is great in it's own way.

it isn't even debatable. Halo 3 has incredible HDR lighting. Dead Space has NO HDR lighting. end of.

I agree.

It have been an insane decision to sacrify more evident aspects just to give this high quality HDR lighting, even because you notice it only on the latest levels where everything is in flame and you get near a light source.

I hope they'll make better choices on Halo Reach because, as Killzone 2/UC2 teach, if you want to impress, you must push on more evident aspects like depth filters and shadows.

Arhal_Katarn

I really hope these perks/gadgets/equipments are taken over to multiplayer, i would love it if you pick which one you wanted to use as you level up ala MW. For instance at a certain level you could unlock sprint and later you could get the hologram.
Could you imagine killstreak rewards in Halo Reach? Get a killtacular and you could get a fucking mac round shot. Or a pelican strafing run. I don't want Halo to become cod but just imagine what they could do.

Arhal_Katarn said:
I really hope these perks/gadgets/equipments are taken over to multiplayer, i would love it if you pick which one you wanted to use as you level up ala MW. For instance at a certain level you could unlock sprint and later you could get the hologram.
Could you imagine killstreak rewards in Halo Reach? Get a killtacular and you could get a fucking mac round shot. Or a pelican strafing run. I don't want Halo to become cod but just imagine what they could do.

How about not turning Halo into a MW clone?

Arhal_Katarn

BattleMonkey said:
How about not turning Halo into a MW clone?
I am not saying make it a clone (i prefer Halo over MW anyday) but there are a few features from MW that i would like to see in Halo's multiplayer.

Gui_PT

MagniHarvald said:
H3 Brutes were better than the H2 ones, but that's not saying much. I wouldn't mind seeing Brutes in Reach as long as it doesn't fuck with the story, but I really need some 'Wort Wort Wort!' Elites from Halo 1. The ones that actually felt alien. That's one of the reasons Halo CE's campaign is still my favorite of the series, you felt like you were fighting intelligent others, aliens, not dumb furries and shakespearan dinosaurs.

When they go berserker in Halo 3, they're completely useless, they rarely get a hit.
In Halo 2, they'd continuously tackle you 'til you died.

Top Bottom