• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

kylej

Banned
Tunavi said:
Please 343, just go back to the balanced golden triangle for Halo 4. It used to be Gunplay - Grenades - Melee. Hell, you could even say that map movement was just as important as any of those. Now it's Grenades - Melee - Armor abilities - gunplay. In that order of importance. :|

I hate you Sage.

Went from a unique chess-like multiplayer FPS to a FFA bloom-filled bonanza. No fixed spawns, armor abilities ruining power-up timing, brutal nades. Save us Franklin.

Genesis Knight said:
Someone want to explain the whole Sage/gameplay lead thing to me? I just played the games back in the day; didn't read up on them. Someone got fired and ex-FASA people got brought on right?

Sage was a designer on a game that was a massive commercial and critical failure. Bungie hired him to be lead gameplay designer on Reach.

Kuroyume

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
You know how people joked about the whole, don't tell sage he'll nerf it...

That wasn't a joke...

RIP Beta microwave, pistol, pro pipe, repeater, elites...

You know of all things that got nerfed... Why did the elites become so terrible...

Everything except for the AR which actually was beefed up

Yeah, way to go BUNGLE

Ooooh-Yeeeea.gif

A27 Tawpgun said:
The character nerf was hard also. Elites were much faster and their shields recharged so fast.

The nerf on the characters was good to an extent, but its the weapon nerfs that really hit the Elites hard in my opinion.

kylej said:
Sage was a designer on a game that was a massive commercial and critical failure. Bungie hired him to be lead gameplay designer on Reach.

Shadowrun was a great game on its own, but it wasn't Halo, and Reach shouldn't have been a bastard child of the two.

kylej said:
Went from a unique chess-like multiplayer FPS to a FFA bloom-filled bonanza. No fixed spawns, armor abilities ruining power-up timing, brutal nades. Save us Franklin.

it was really balanced and really fun though. Sage just didn't take the parts he should have (high speed and jump height) and only took the weapon mechanics

Sai-kun said:
You guys all know the Halo Swag Bags are available now, right? And so are the commemorative poster packs, and other shirts and stuff.
Damn. I don't have the money for the poster sets etc. I hope Bungie will sell their stuff at PAX. So I can buy the 20th anniversary shirt and an Hoodie.

And I bought the Bag. Can't wait to see what I get :)

Does anybody wants to read about a campaign theorie/explenation of mine for a part in the Reach campaign? It's kinda oftopic right now but I wanna post it somewhere where people actually care for it.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
MrBig said:
stuff from the belly of the beast

I was thisssss fucking close to pulling the trigger on it now. But then I stopped myself. I felt like one of those Apple consumer sheep who wait on press conferences with their credit cards waiting to buy some other stupid shit they don't need. I don't need that stuff. It did look nice though :/ :lol

Plywood said:
When it can hold a frame rate in the grey maps then I'll agree.
You mean when it can hold a framerate in one of the most ambitious maps ever created in a videogame?

I play A LOT of Reach, and I play Campaign, Multiplayer, and Firefight. I notice just about every framerate drop. It happens, and it sucks, and I wish it wasn't there, but saying the technology in Halo: Reach isn't fantastic because of it is asinine.

MrBig

Tashi0106 said:
I was thisssss fucking close to pulling the trigger on it now. But then I stopped myself. I felt like one of those Apple consumer sheep who wait on press conferences with their credit cards waiting to buy some other stupid shit they don't need. I don't need that stuff. It did look nice though :/ :lol
I'm going for it at least. It'll be the only thing I'll have bought from the Bungie store and it's cheap.

FyreWulff

Tunavi said:
The Halo 2 battle rifle was an elegant weapon. Hitscan made it very controllable. You could fire fast and accurately. Bullet spread saved it from being overpowered at long range.

halo2sniper.jpg

kMDkN.jpg

1.1 BR essentially had it's spread removed, to the point that even the Sniper Rifle had more bloom/spread halfway across Coag than the BR.

Compare with other weapons at the same distances:

halo2pistol_steady.jpg

halo2pistol_fast.jpg

Miggytronz

Tha Robbertster said:
Does anybody wants to read about a campaign theorie/explenation of mine for a part in the Reach campaign? It's kinda oftopic right now but I wanna post it somewhere where people actually care for it.

I wanna hear it.

Tha Robbertster said:
Shoot. You could always post it on HBO, too.

feel

Tashi0106 said:
Just do it.

It's a bunch of bungie swag and the profits go to charity. Knowing bungie, the contents will probably be worth more than $30 if they're being this secretive.

MrBig said:
Leading up to the launch of Reach they had talked about switch creation in forge. They said they never finished because none of the maps they designed had any use for it and they cut it under time constraints.
Yeah, I'm aware of that comment but I always thought it meant movable objects like gates, bridges, or doors. That could be tough to implement and would take considerable dev time.

What I'm talking about is much more simple:

Object: Spawn Switch
Appearance: Anything, really. But the best would be a small box with a red/green light indicating whether or not it has been activated.
Function: When a player walks up to it they get the "Hold X to activate switch" prompt. Doing so will cause any object tagged in Forge as "switch_1_spawn" to instantly spawn on the map. You can also place multiple switches, with a different tag for each. So a switch tagged as "switch_2" would spawn objects tagged as "switch_2_spawn".

You could also use it to make Forge objects disappear. When "switch_2" is activated any object already on the map with the label "switch_2_despawn" would be instantly removed.

A single switch could make some objects disappear while new ones spawn in their place (which would probably work best if the despawn command was a frame or two ahead of the spawn command).

I'd be surprised if something like this wasn't already doable in Megalo. Obviously we couldn't add new geometry for a switch box, but at least give an existing object the functionality. Maybe use the Medpac model, only you place them on a map backwards so people know it won't heal them. The tagging would work similar to the way Invasion spawns and despawns objects when the Phase changes. I think some of the Forge wizards out there could make some pretty awesome gametypes and maps with a simple switch like that.

Tashi

Letters said:
Just do it.

It's a bunch of bungie swag and the profits go to charity.
Profits go to charity?

Ugh now I guilty for not getting it.

I can't anyway, I forgot I still have to buy supplements.

Tashi

Letters said:
PM me your address!

Absolutely not. I'm not gonna let you buy me this swag bag. I really don't need it. Let someone else who really wants that stuff get it. Thanks anyway <3

kylej

Banned
Bought one of those bags. C'mon Bungie, give me the life size replica of Cortana you have lying around.

I need it for research purposes.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
HiredN00bs said:
You mean when it can hold a framerate in one of the most ambitious maps ever created in a videogame?

I play A LOT of Reach, and I play Campaign, Multiplayer, and Firefight. I notice just about every framerate drop. It happens, and it sucks, and I wish it wasn't there, but saying the technology in Halo: Reach isn't fantastic because of it is asinine.
It is an ambitious map, but it's also a map that shouldn't have been, just because you can make such a huge map and have it be playable does not mean it should actually be played on. Those maps would work and look a lot better if they were each there own separate maps.

Pushing hardware from 2005 while impressive doesn't help me enjoy whatever small section of Forge World I happen to be playing on at the time.

Not forgetting to mention there are issues with Forge World and vehicles. Why make something so ambitious if it's easily prone to breaking?

Does the tech do a lot of things other games don't? Yes, absolutely.

Does it have a locked framerate? No. There in lies an issue for me who enjoys the major replay value of the Halo games, which is the MP and the MP happens to be at this time mostly comprised of Forge World maps.

Willeth

FyreWulff said:
Damn, I hope my money comes in soon enough to get that shirt. I was lucky enough to get one of the Aerospace ones from before.
Hey Fyre, you can get me one of those bags instead of a copy of Halo 4 if you want.

Sai-kun

Banned
I wanted a t-shirt but they were sold out :(

Then realized the bright side of being a short skinny kid, and bought a medium girl's shirt.

Tashi

Sai-kun said:
I wanted a t-shirt but they were sold out :(

Then realized the bright side of being a short skinny kid, and bought a medium girl's shirt.
:lol :lol I'm sorry, this is crackin me up.

zumphry

Banned
Damn. Gonna get a swag bag later tonight. Hoping to get one of those Myth boxes. :lol

Wow. Out of Stock already. :[

MrBig said:
Sage: Nerf everything and make the AR stronger

Make Armor Lock send out AR rounds that can also take out shields. Or make the burst replace any weapon you have with an AR.

Well okay: I was playing TotS last night and I remembered there were some complaints about it not making sense that it wasn't shot down by the MAC's in orbit around Reach.

In the first cutscene, Aunti Dot mentioned that the whole Viaera (or whatever it's called) territory is under attack, including orbital defences. Well, since we don't hear anything about a space battle going on, I asume this means that the generators for the MAC's above that part of Reach are under attack and possebly not working.

This would explain why the Long night of Solance wasn't destroyed by MAC's in space. From the book FoR, we know that human ships dont stand a chance against most Covenant ships, so a super carrier would destroy everything human in it's path.

It also would be impractical to send in more ships/MAC's to the part of space where the LnoS is stationed since this would be suicidal (super carriers have some kind of sniper lazer thing that can destroy everything from a very long range). It would make more sence to do something sneaky and this is what we are doing in the 5th mission.

Remember, only the Viaera teritorry's were under attack at that point in the story and the whole planet was under Winter Contingency. Since the Viaera territory is mostly military, perhaps the UNSC and ONI could have kept the Covenant invasion secret untill the destruction of the LnoS.

Then from there on, a space battle started, and the full scale invasion of Reach actually began.

This still doesn't make the story more consistent with the books, it atleast makes more logically on it's own.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I can't effing wait for the Aerospace reveal. I love how they've teased us by saying it's coming out sometime between today and 7/7. Leaving us guessing. Every morning I'm gonna wake up, hop on GAF, and be disappointed by the lack of an announcement... But then I'm gonna flip my shit (one way or another) when it finally is revealed.

FyreWulff

Tha Robbertster said:
My god, what happened to the Bungie homepage?

I had to shut off all of Firefox's addons and turn them back on before it looked right.

Also, it seems you gotta unlock your blue flames via the app or the website before Bungie Day ends - I guess they weren't just going to do a global switch-on like I thought.

Top Bottom