• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

PooBone

Dax01 said:
I don't understand how you can have no issues with Captain Keyes but hate Cortana. Generally, they're the same layout wise. They both have you fight in tight corridors fighting endless upon endless waves of Flood. Though Captain Keyes has you drop into the coolant areas that's completely dark, and the player has a flashlight with limited battery life, and your forced to do the same thing you were doing on the ship. Then you go back into the ship to do the same thing again.
The big difference is that fighting the Flood in Halo CE was way more fun than fighting them in Halo 3. You could melee the spores, and there were none of those long-range spike-shooting bastards.

Hitmonchan107 said:
I asked this on Twitter, but what would you guys like for me to cover at PAX?
I wanna know what Frankie and David eat for lunch every day.
PooBone said:
The big difference is that fighting the Flood in Halo CE was way more fun than fighting them in Halo 3. You could melee the spores, and there were none of those long-range spike-shooting bastards.
Gonna have to disagree on that. In Halo 3 you can "headshot" various Flood forms and melee is (finally!) a viable option. Both come in handy in those tight, close-quarters corridors. You have more options to fight the Flood in Halo 3. Neither are in Halo: CE.

And I assume by spores you mean Flood infection forms, and I don't remember not being able to beat those down in Halo 3. And why would you in both games? It's ineffective.

Hey You said:
Wait, is this Bungie "One of Seven" thing new or old? It said it was posted on July 14th, but I didn't notice it before.

Edit: Apparently its not published on the frontpage and someone got a link to it from their swag bag.
Where did you hear about it from? I'd like to know more.

Just from a cursory glance:
- Sounds like seven people have received or will receive cards with a scratch-off portion over a unique code. Were these in 7 of the 777 first-round Swag Bags, or did those slips merely contain the URL for the contest?
- The code cannot be redeemed before 7/7/2012... I hope everyone that gets one realizes how special it is and remembers it next year.
- The "One of Seven" page has the "Per Audacia Ad Astra" motto at the top, which for some reason makes me think this is related to Bungie Aerospace and not Destiny (although that's not a safe assumption).

Sounds like a very cool contest. Only seven winners means people will complain, but that's going to happen anyways. Unfortunately, Amazon's swag bag shenanigans will add to the complaints, but that wasn't Bungie's fault.

What prize would be so great as to require an entire rules page? I doubt it would be anything as simple as early beta access, you'd think there would be more than seven winners in that case.

2nleceo.jpg

ncsuDuncan said:
Where did you hear about it from? I'd like to know more.

Just from a cursory glance:
- Sounds like seven people have received or will receive cards with a scratch-off portion over a unique code. Were these in 7 of the 777 first-round Swag Bags, or did those slips merely contain the URL for the contest?
- The code cannot be redeemed before 7/7/2012... I hope everyone that gets one realizes how special it is and remembers it next year.
- The "One of Seven" page has the "Per Audacia Ad Astra" motto at the top, which for some reason makes me think this is related to Bungie Aerospace and not Destiny (although that's not a safe assumption).

Sounds like a very cool contest. Only seven winners means people will complain, but that's going to happen anyways. Unfortunately, Amazon's swag bag shenanigans will add to the complaints, but that wasn't Bungie's fault.

What prize would be so great as to require an entire rules page? I doubt it would be anything as simple as early beta access, you'd think there would be more than seven winners in that case.
You will get a studio tour with Johnny Depp.

Edit.: I guess the people will be the first one who will be playing Bungie's new game. Announcement teaser at E3. "One of Seven" winners will get as first public guys the chance to play the game. Even before the press.

PooBone

Zee-V70 said:
I'm with you here, but I think part of the problem is that if they did play the nostalgia card and you got on the Autumn, it'd be hard to get off the Autumn in a way that didn't seem like an ass-pull. Think about it: you're on the Autumn fighting off waves of brutes, skirmishers, and anything else the Covenant's trying to throw at you in their last stand, and you're expecting to take off with the ship. Then, suddenly...
"Cruiser! Lieutenant, there's a Mass Driver rigged up seven clicks from the starboard bow. I need you to take one of the Warthogs from the vehicle bay and take it out. Given how far it still is, I'd say you've got six minutes..."

dammit, wait, I meant that to sound bad :lol

EDIT: You know what, scratch that. You know what'd be amazing? If you switched characters temporarily. Like, you're near the end and give Cortana to Keyes, and then you switch to Chief (without cortana, but Keyes wakes him up early temporarily) briefly so you can ward off any Covenant and make sure Six gets to the Mass Driver safely. Now you're playing as a Spartan-II and not a III, and you run faster, jump higher, hit harder, and have stronger shielding and health. It'd be pretty tear-jerking if Chief watched Six progressively take out more and more Covenant (including the cruiser) until he eventually got taken out or something like that.

Both of those scenarios sounds infinitely better than stand on a platform, watch a cutscene, sit in a turret, watch a cutscene, credits.

PooBone

Dax01 said:
I wanna know what Frankie and David eat for lunch every day.

Gonna have to disagree on that. In Halo 3 you can "headshot" various Flood forms and melee is (finally!) a viable option. Both come in handy in those tight, close-quarters corridors. You have more options to fight the Flood in Halo 3. Neither are in Halo: CE.

And I assume by spores you mean Flood infection forms, and I don't remember not being able to beat those down in Halo 3. And why would you in both games? It's ineffective.

I do it all the time in CE. CONSTANTLY. It's not ineffective, it pops and destroys them, usually creating a chain reaction for any forms next to it. You couldn't do it effectively in Halo 3 or 2, and it never made sense to me why that is.

I'm not gonna argue with you and say you're wrong, but in my opinion fighting the flood in Halo 3 is a chore whether you can headshot the infection form in their chest or not. I really like fighting them in Combat Evolved and it's one of the reasons I really like the Library everyone hates so much.

feel

StalkerUKCG said:
yeay for the mocking .
Relax, he was referencing the responses he got in the thread he made yesterday about it. Everyone thought they were being hilarious by replying all in CAPS just because the press release included one sentence like that. Tashi and a bunch of other members are doing time for a similar derail yet afaik noone got banned in hyper's thread because lol it's just halo....

Louis Wu

thezerofire said:
wait, do you enter on July 7, 2012 or are you entered from that Swag Bag thing? If the latter, I missed out on ordering one.
There are 7 tickets, total, and they were put into 7 swag bags. If you didn't order a swag bag, you can't get one. If you ordered a swag bag and it didn't have one, you can't get one. (They're non-transferable, so please, please, PLEASE don't waste your money trying to buy one on eBay or whatever - if you're not on BUNGIE'S list, you won't be able to redeem it.)

Louis Wu said:
There are 7 tickets, total, and they were put into 7 swag bags. If you didn't order a swag bag, you can't get one. If you ordered a swag bag and it didn't have one, you can't get one. (They're non-transferable, so please, please, PLEASE don't waste your money trying to buy one on eBay or whatever - if you're not on BUNGIE'S list, you won't be able to redeem it.)
bummer

Letters said:
Relax, he was referencing the responses he got in the thread he made yesterday about it. Everyone thought they were being hilarious by replying all in CAPS just because the press release included one sentence like that. Tashi and a bunch of other members are doing time for a similar derail yet afaik noone got banned in hyper's thread because lol it's just halo....
Maybe I should linked that post with the thread. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438886

Louis Wu said:
I wonder how many of those tickets were in the Swag Bags that were sold on eBay.

Havok

Dax01 said:
I don't understand how you can have no issues with Captain Keyes but hate Cortana. Generally, they're the same layout wise. They both have you fight in tight corridors fighting endless upon endless waves of Flood. Though Captain Keyes has you drop into the coolant areas that's completely dark, and the player has a flashlight with limited battery life, and your forced to do the same thing you were doing on the ship. Then you go back into the ship to do the same thing again.
Because most of Keyes is pretty bright, and the coolant section is maybe 10 minutes long. You're in a collapsing Covenant cruiser, not a space asshole. You aren't fighting the awful Pure Forms - Halo 1's Flood are fun to fight because they're easy to kill, and wall-stickers should never be allowed in any game ever again (Red Faction: Armageddon is basically Cortana: The Level: The Game). If Cortana had consisted of the mostly fine Combat Forms that were seen in Floodgate, a lot of the problem would be gone. You get to fight high-level Covenant squads for a really large chunk of the level, including some great three-way fights. There aren't Flood pimples that spit out enemies with a stray bullet. You aren't constantly being stopped by pointless Gravemind acid trip sequences. The level's story conclusion isn't completely pointless (rampant rampant rampant no wait im good lol - and no, Traviss's Evolutions story doesn't make this a nonissue). I know you don't agree, but there are a bunch of design, story, and aesthetic elements that make Cortana nearly universally reviled that don't apply to Keyes.
Dax01 said:
In Halo 1, you meleed one spore, and the rest popped. In Halo 3, you meleed one spore, and maybe three popped as the others got to you. It was maybe the most effective way to take out infection forms in the first game, and something that was totally lost in 2 and 3.

Dax01 said:
Havok said:
Because most of Keyes is pretty bright, and the coolant section is maybe 10 minutes long. You're in a collapsing Covenant cruiser, not a space asshole. You aren't fighting the awful Pure Forms - Halo 1's Flood are fun to fight because they're easy to kill, and wall-stickers should never be allowed in any game ever again (Red Faction: Armageddon is basically Cortana: The Level: The Game). If Cortana had consisted of the mostly fine Combat Forms that were seen in Floodgate, a lot of the problem would be gone. You get to fight high-level Covenant squads for a really large chunk of the level, including some great three-way fights. There aren't Flood pimples that spit out enemies with a stray bullet. You aren't constantly being stopped by pointless Gravemind acid trip sequences. The level's story conclusion isn't completely pointless (rampant rampant rampant no wait im good lol). I know you don't agree, but there are a bunch of design, story, and aesthetic elements that make Cortana nearly universally reviled that don't apply to Keyes.

Yeah I was going to write my response, but Havok already did.

Hypertrooper said:
You will get a studio tour with Johnny Depp.
Okay, but only if he skips the Wonka costume and does it as Captain Jack.

That pirate was quite the pimp.

Pimp...s

...at...sea.

OMG Pimps at Sea! [Inception noise]

Letters said:
Which is why I start every morning with an all-caps LIAM NEESON.

Louis Wu

Hitmonchan107 said:
I wonder how many of those tickets were in the Swag Bags that were sold on eBay.
Heh - wouldn't that suck? (for BOTH parties... though I can't imagine that ANY of the bags sold on eBay were actually 'unopened' - and if it were me doing the selling, I'd sure as hell pull that folder out of the bag before mailing it to the auction winner.)

Red vs Blue member BaghdadBean got one - and she filmed it, so you can see what it looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBjlykulawY

(Ticket's at the end of the video, about 3:40 in.)

A27 Tawpgun said:
Did Bungie make sure competent people got the cards?
I'm not sure what this means... 'competent'?

You mean in terms of gameplay? (So only members of the BK Cleansing crew should be eligible?) Or in terms of basic life skills (so no idiots who want to sell it got one)? Or what?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, we have to wait an entire year to find out what the One of Seven thing is about. That's kind of cruel... I really hope Bungie doesn't take that long to announce their new IP.

I'm online now and ready to D-STROY SUM NOOBZ. GT = popular revolt.

Hitmonchan107 said:
It would be hilarious if that were the case. Otherwise: What if someone is selling his ticket for a good purpose? Like a Child Charity etc.

Hitmonchan107 said:
I asked this on Twitter, but what would you guys like for me to cover at PAX?
You should cover the same stuff like everyone else, who will go to HaloFEST. Your experience, opinions etc. The people, you will meet, the matches you will loose against me, how bad we will loose the match against ProHaloGAF at the Halo tournament etc.

Louis Wu said:
Heh - wouldn't that suck? (for BOTH parties... though I can't imagine that ANY of the bags sold on eBay were actually 'unopened' - and if it were me doing the selling, I'd sure as hell pull that folder out of the bag before mailing it to the auction winner.)

Red vs Blue member BaghdadBean got one - and she filmed it, so you can see what it looks like.

That ticket has a Destiny logo on it.

Cha-ching.

Havok said:
Because most of Keyes is pretty bright, and the coolant section is maybe 10 minutes long. You're in a collapsing Covenant cruiser, not a space asshole. You aren't fighting the awful Pure Forms - Halo 1's Flood are fun to fight because they're easy to kill, and wall-stickers should never be allowed in any game ever again (Red Faction: Armageddon is basically Cortana: The Level: The Game). If Cortana had consisted of the mostly fine Combat Forms that were seen in Floodgate, a lot of the problem would be gone. You get to fight high-level Covenant squads for a really large chunk of the level, including some great three-way fights. There aren't Flood pimples that spit out enemies with a stray bullet. You aren't constantly being stopped by pointless Gravemind acid trip sequences. The level's story conclusion isn't completely pointless (rampant rampant rampant no wait im good lol - and no, Traviss's Evolutions story doesn't make this a nonissue). I know you don't agree, but there are a bunch of design, story, and aesthetic elements that make Cortana nearly universally reviled that don't apply to Keyes.
In Halo 1, you meleed one spore, and the rest popped. In Halo 3, you meleed one spore, and maybe three popped as the others got to you. It was maybe the most effective way to take out infection forms in the first game, and something that was totally lost in 2 and 3.
I will never ever buy this game, thank you. My first run on Cortana Legendary was my very first ragequit.

Hey You

omg.kittens said:
Damn, we have to wait an entire year to find out what the One of Seven thing is about. That's kind of cruel... I really hope Bungie doesn't take that long to announce their new IP.
I thought I read somewhere that Bungie wouldn't announce their new IP this year. Maybe not, I don't know but I hope we get something this year.

teamaxe

I actually like the Pure Forms from both a gameplay perspective and programming perspective. IIRC, the Pure Forms could change into any of the forms at any time, so you had to adapt to the situation. I always thought that was pretty great programming (with the built in buffer of the transformation animation most likely masking the loading of the new model/texture/ai/whatever).

Yes, the ranger forms are really deadly in Cortana, but I always felt like I had enough options to take them out (Brute Shot, Flame Grenades, Needlers, etc.). There's a chance that this memory is rose-tinted, though. ...or shit-tinted, more-appropriately, perhaps.

Hitmonchan107 said:
That ticket has a Destiny logo on it.

Cha-ching.
Yep.
Interesting.

That gridded map design looks similar to the header from the last BWU. It gives me the feeling that maybe Destiny IS the name of a planet (as some have speculated before).

Hitmonchan107 said:
I sent gearheadbean a YouTube comment asking for a better picture of the ticket, and here's what she said:
Heh, I was just about to do the same thing. I'm glad you posted when you did, I don't want to keep bugging her (and if it was me I wouldn't have even posted as much as she did).

I sent gearheadbean a YouTube comment asking for a better picture of the ticket, and here's what she said:

Sorry man, this is the only glance at the golden ticket that I'm authorized to let you all have!

Here's a screen cap from the video:
l4Zhx.png

teamaxe said:
I actually like the Pure Forms from both a gameplay perspective and programming perspective. IIRC, the Pure Forms could change into any of the forms at any time, so you had to adapt to the situation. I always thought that was pretty great programming (with the built in buffer of the transformation animation most likely masking the loading of the new model/texture/ai/whatever).

Yes, the ranger forms are really deadly in Cortana, but I always felt like I had enough options to take them out (Brute Shot, Flame Grenades, Needlers, etc.). There's a chance that this memory is rose-tinted, though. ...or shit-tinted, more-appropriately, perhaps.
It basically felt like getting team-shot with BR's at all times.

GhaleonEB

The seven golden tickets thing is pretty neat, and I can't wait to see what turns up.

I know it's just a matter of time before word spreads wider and people start freaking out that they didn't get it, so mad at a Bungie, etc.

ElRenoRaven

Louis Wu said:

You mean in terms of gameplay? (So only members of the BK Cleansing crew should be eligible?) Or in terms of basic life skills (so no idiots who want to sell it got one)? Or what?

That's so damn cool but saddens me at the same time. I wasn't able to get a bag sadly. Beaten every time. Oh well. Even if I had I wouldn't have gotten a ticket anyway. That's still very cool though. It's like a real life Willy Wonka type thing. lol

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:
The seven golden tickets thing is pretty neat, and I can't wait to see what turns up.

I know it's just a matter of time before word spreads wider and people start freaking out that they didn't get it, so mad at a Bungie, etc.

But who will be riding the glass elevator at the end?

Hitmonchan107 said:
Slightly off-topic: Is Weisman's "Crimson" still slated for this summer? I'm getting antsy.
I'm curious as well. I still don't understand how Jordan Wiesman can call a vaguely steampunk game "Crimson" but imply that it isn't a Crimson Skies game. Maybe it's Crimson Seas?

If it isn't related to Crimson Skies at all I think he could have picked a better name...

Ramirez

HiredN00bs said:
They don't play 4v4 Objective. It was like that in Halo 3, too.

Team Mythic had plenty of objective gametypes and we would almost always get a pretty decent match up skill wise, and lose our fair share of games.

hiredn00bs said:
TO in Reach definitely has more relaxed skill search restrictions than Halo 3's ranked TO. That may be in general, or it might be a scale-able restriction that adjusts to the player population. Not to start that debate again, but in regards to the quitting, it is a possibility that people recognize your tag for objective holding and simply refuse to play with you just for that, or they don't feel like sticking around in games that are being needlessly lengthened since they have no possibility of coming back. We get quitters in TO, but it's never been that bad for us.

People recognizing my tag for something as trivial as last is a HUGE stretch, if only it happened as much as you think...

People quit out in all of the playlists, half of the time we get quitters before the game even starts. It doesn't matter if I'm playing with EazyB or Dani, I get the same results.

Hiredn00bs said:
Again, you're not exactly going to get the cream of the crop in a low population list. Play in the Arena, or in a high population list with skill search restrictions.

Team Slayer is like 75%, Squad is like 93%, Premium Battle was 100% until last night when I got dropped from a game, BTB is like 92%, it's not just TO, players are flat out terrible across the board unless you go into MLG/Arena (Most of the people in Arena are terrible too, aside from the top tier Onyx people who abuse the hell out of AA's). Most of the people I play with don't like MLG, and I don't like Arena's settings, but aside from that we usually have more than 4 people anyways...

I checked my Halo 3 winning percentage last night and it was like 69%, still kinda high, but compared to 85% for Reach, it's absurd. All I'm saying is in past games, I didn't have to go to MLG to get a good competitive game, either the game really flew over people's heads mechanics wise, or the majority of the good people left, I don't know. That's why I'm really excited for the TU to see if removing bloom, changing the melee, etc. etc. can bring everyone's skill level up a little bit so that games aren't always so one sided.

I just want to enjoy the game, and the past month has been some of the most boring Halo I've ever played. =\

Risen said:
Play more MLG and Arena

What do I do, force my friends who don't like it to play it? No offense to Dani, Coco, etc. but they're not exactly the MLG type. Or I could always go in by myself like the other day and get matched up against a team of 4 against some randoms and get my butt pumped, yea that's a fun experience as well.

ncsuDuncan said:
I'm curious as well. I still don't understand how Jordan Wiesman can call a vaguely steampunk game "Crimson" but imply that it isn't a Crimson Skies game. Maybe it's Crimson Seas?

If it isn't related to Crimson Skies at all I think he could have picked a better name...
Yeah. But if Crimson isn't related to Crimson Skies, I believe this might be.

ElRenoRaven

Ah. I just love playing Halo 3. There is just something about the Brute Chopper that i just love. It's one of the few additions to the sandbox over the years that just felt right.

gqGGf.jpg

Tawpgun

Louis Wu said:

As in someone more in the loop with the community and such. N
Basically I don't want someone to get the ticket and be like lolwutisthis. Or someone that won't report back their findings and such.

Ramirez

thezerofire said:
Bought my Anaheim pass. On my way.

Get Walshy's autograph for me.

Guys, the whole point of my comments were that in the past games, I didn't have to go into MLG to get a competitive match. I even got competitive matches in Social Slayer most of the time. It was more of a 5 AM rant of what happened to the semi-decent Halo population, I can't find them in Reach. I assume it's mostly people who cannot master the mechanics, or just flat out didn't like the game and moved on. *shrug*

Karl2177

A bit LTTP on Campaign discussion, but my preference: CE>2=3>ODST>Reach

CE only had one bad level, and that was Library. Every other level had great story development and gameplay. 2 had great level environments that were fun to play in. It's story seemed to be too haywire though. I understand that the Arbiter events are happening alongside the Chief events, but it felt a little jarring going between the two so frequently. As for missions go, Sacred Icon and Quarantine Zone were the only bad levels that I can remember off the top of my head.

Halo 3 had great environments that were also fun to play in. The greatest thing about the environments was the ability to have more than 1 route to take on the enemies. Cortana stands out as the level I remember hating the most. ODST was moreso a game of failed potential. It had a decent story, but it excelled at making the story believable. Gameplay-wise it was poor. It had a great environment for a small, fragile soldier, but it feels like you're a SIII. Quite frankly, it is Reach without armor abilities. Reach was even more a game with failed potential. As Ghaleon pointed out, it gave you what you needed for each encounter beforehand. The story mucked with established canon. The story Reach gave was pretty poor. Noble team hardly felt like a team.

"I read your file, Lieutenant, even the parts ONI didn't want me to. I'm glad to have your skill set, but you can leave that Lone Wolf stuff behind." Then why was I being a Lone Wolf through practically the whole game?

PsychoRaven said:
Ah. I just love playing Halo 3. There is just something about the Brute Chopper that i just love. It's one of the few additions to the sandbox over the years that just felt right.

gqGGf.jpg
You stop reminding me of the Chopper. Just stop it right now!

I miss it so much. :( :(

Hitmonchan107 said:
Yeah. But if Crimson isn't related to Crimson Skies, I believe this might be.
Interesting. Is there any significance to the word "Kapow!" from Crimson Skies, or is it just the fact that Smith & Tinker recently registered a trademark?

I just can't get over the resemblance:
5cywes.jpg

- Both are created by Jordan Weisman.
- Both have "Crimson" in the title
- Both have a skull in the logo and a steampunk-ish vibe.
- Zeppelins! Unless the tease from that BWU header was just a reference to Weisman's past.

I can't find the quote right now, but someone asked Weisman about the connection and he just coyly said "Well it doesn't have Skies in the title..."

GhaleonEB

PsychoRaven said:

gqGGf.jpg
Part of what made the Chopper so great is how perfectly the missions were designed to incorporate it. Tsavo Highway's roads - who didn't love cruising down the highway like that on a Chopper? - and the vehicular brawl near the end of the mission make it feel at home. And it's so perfect on the Ark, those big sandy expanses to sail over. It was as perfect a marrying of mission and vehicle design as the Warthog was to the second mission in the first game.

There was no such vision for the Revenant and its role in the campaign, nor for the vehicle sequences in Reach in general, at all.

Havok

Karl2177 said:
As for missions go, Sacred Icon and Quarantine Zone were the only bad levels that I can remember off the top of my head.
High Charity, the Chief's only Flood level, is not good. I thought moments of SI and QZ were really neat - that 'oh shit' feeling you got as you stepped off the gondola into the pseudo-Library, fighting the Sentinel Enforcer for the first time, and maybe a couple others. Definitely the weak spots though, along with Oracle.

wwm0nkey

You know, I really don't care if they are not in the story but the Chopper really needs to come back. Some MP only vehicles and weapons are not a bad thing you know :)

Top Bottom