• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

PNut said:
31 here. Grew up playing the oldies. Atari, NES, Super NES, Genesis....then stopped. Picked up a N64 for Zelda OoT and found Golden Eye. My college roommates and I played it every day. Great times..... Fast foward 10 years later when I found Halo 3. A buddy told me it was like the MP in Golden Eye but a million times better. Bought 360 and the rest was history.

Some of you might be surprised on how many "older folk" play Halo MP everyday. I'm in a group on BNet that has 150+ members over the age of 30. I'm talking guys in there 50's and 60's that play Halo everyday. It's awesome and most of them would give Frankie and Urk a run for their money in a 1v1. But urks not that old though come to think of it. ;)
Got you beat by one at 32
I turn 33 in 31 days, though :O

FyreWulff

The only thing that would improve on the release of that Vidoc is if the Megalo Q&A would be answered and posted up.

I'm starting to think we're not gonna see that happen, though :(

Kujo

Finally got around to watching it, great vidoc. Too harsh on H2 though
and not harsh enough on Reach

And now I've got the urge to play ODST again, dammit

Woorloog

Banned
Mojo said:
Too harsh on H2 though

You're right about that.

And I want to play ODST too.

<---21

Tha Robbertster said:
although I started lurking GAF around the first Halo Reach leak.
Same here.

Gui_PT

Plywood said:
sage2ruks.gif

I know I'm late, but that's awesome :lol

wwm0nkey

After watching the vidoc I think I know what I am going to do

Starting November 13th through the 19th I am going to replay all the Halo games in order

Halo Wars, Halo: Reach, Halo: CEA, Halo 2 up till New Mombasa explosion, ODST, finish Halo 2 then Halo 3.

Great Vidoc, looking forward to seeing what Destiny is all about. I'm terrified it'll be a genre I won't like...but fingers crossed!

Tha Robbertster said:
One of the youngest with 17, although I started lurking GAF around the first Halo Reach leak. Good times with Tom Morrello :p
Lol, Homeboyd and me also started lurking by that time.
I'm 18.

Halo 2 is the greatest game ever made. (Obviously just watched the vidoc thinger)

Going to stream ODST H3 and Reach and maybe more campaigns when I wake up in hopefully a lot of hours. Co-Op players welcome.

Gui_PT

xxjuicesxx said:

Halo 2 is the greatest game ever made. (Obviously just watched the vidoc thinger)

Going to stream ODST H3 and Reach and maybe more campaigns when I wake up in hopefully a lot of hours. Co-Op players welcome.

Oh sweet, you managed to get your streaming settings right? That's awesome.

Post a link when you start streaming please?

Hello HaloGAF!

Is there still a friends list to join on XBL for customs? I haven't followed this thread in a little while.

Loved the ViDoc; am 30.5. Yes, 0.5. Damnit.

Striker

I posted my map in Blueprint, and I think got submitted to CC. Never got accepted in MM due to not being friendly with 4-player split screen for TO, I guess. I guess Bungie loves those 4-5 map rotations and the things like Hot Potato on Uncaged.

Homeboyd

Striker said:
I posted my map in Blueprint, and I think got submitted to CC. Never got accepted in MM due to not being friendly with 4-player split screen for TO, I guess. I guess Bungie loves those 4-5 map rotations and the things like Hot Potato on Uncaged.
What's your b.net username? And yea, we've got a couple great guys who are keeping things running for us but I'd love to be able to tell them 343 plans on making it all worthwhile. Havent heard anything official yet.

Striker

Homeboyd said:
What's your b.net username? And yea, we've got a couple great guys who are keeping things running for us but I'd love to be able to tell them 343 plans on making it all worthwhile. Havent heard anything official yet.
This was the map that was submitted. I had suggested it be made for TO but with the 4-player local count kept, I wasn't expecting any movements. I still am disappointed why they kept that count in there, meanwhile adding so many maps (bad ones or not) to Team Slayer, and in Big Team Battle in the process.

Sibylus

Banned

Just finished watching the vidoc, cotdamn nostalgia bomb. The massive landscape teases at the end were really nice, and it seemed like in some ways that Bungie's coming around full circle. Just give us some of those Halosaurs, kay?

High time to dive headlong into a shitton of Halo campaigning.

Homeboyd

Striker said:
This was the map that was submitted. I had suggested it be made for TO but with the 4-player local count kept, I wasn't expecting any movements. I still am disappointed why they kept that count in there, meanwhile adding so many maps (bad ones or not) to Team Slayer, and in Big Team Battle in the process.
Nice. Yeah 4-player split was almost untouchable for us. 2 player was hard enough finding maps that would work. We needed to keep the "Community [x] playlists" as a testing ground to move popular maps (receiving updates as they're pushed to core maps). People get a lot more upset when new maps (which are potentially broken) get pushed into core playlists without any real testing in the wild. A community "beta" playlist would be very beneficial.. Cycling through different gametypes at a time. Let the votes decide.

JMizzlin

Botolf said:
High time to dive headlong into a shitton of Halo campaigning.

Most definitely!

Watching the ViDoc instilled a hunger in me to go through the campaigns again. I think I'll wait til the launch of CEA, though, then play CEA, H2 PC and H3.

Bungie are so great.

Homeboyd

omg.kittens said:
Where'd you get that quote from? I haven't seen it before. Very curious.
It's been stated in several different interviews, but here's one. (Read the interview, not the vid)

"O'Connor teased one of those surprises specifically, an innovation relating to the game's lone Firefight map, which is set on Halo. "We've actually been able to-- because of the stuff we've been playing with in terms of the base code, there's something that we've been able to add to Firefight."

He wouldn't go into specifics since the element is still being tested -- "We're pretty confident it's going to make it in," O'Connor said -- but it is something "that hasn't been seen before." He teased, "It's something that hasn't been in Firefight to date, and it should make it a pretty compelling experience."

I also just noticed in that interview that Timberlands was actually confirmed. I knew we were about 99% certain, but that's the first time I had seen it on paper.

Mojo said:
Finally got around to watching it, great vidoc. Too harsh on H2 though and not harsh enough on Reach

It's the same with musicians though, no-one will ever say their last album was bad or acknowledge it was flawed until a few years later. I don't think Reach is bad by any stretch of the imagination but I thought the praise for it was a little misplaced and overly gushing. Reach did many things well, it consolidated all of the functionality and feature set of the previous Halo's, had (imo) a very good campaign and a peerless netcode. If they acknowledged nothing else, armour lock shoud've at least had a jokey reference to how badly it was received.

Regardless, a great vidoc and it has me more amped for their next project than I thought was possible with such little information.

Tawpgun

18, 19 in December.

Never got a chance to be part of Marathon but Halo basically was my childhood and adolescence.

That part of the viDoc when they said Halo was more than just a game, it made relatinships and friends is so true. <3 the Halo Community. The good parts anyway. But hey, we all get a laugh from the bad side of the community too :p

Mojo said:
Finally got around to watching it, great vidoc. Too harsh on H2 though
I don't think they were being harsh on Halo2 as much as they were focusing on all the obstacles that they ran into while making Halo2. It seems like Bungie has been better prepared for each new game they've released since then and I'm sure Halo2 is a big part of that.
xxjuicesxx said:

I had a lot of dislike for Halo2's campaign when it came out. I was forever in love with Combat Evolved. The weapons and mechanics were amazing. It was hard for me to accept how different Halo 2 was. But it's definitely an amazing game. For as much as I disliked the campaign, I was playing in matchmaking non-stop.
still... CE>2

Anyway, I've been meaning to go back through Halo2's campaign. I may start that later today. As much as I enjoyed the atmosphere in ODST, the story didn't jive with me and the weak weapons keep me from going back and playing through it. Ugh, why did brutes ever have to get introduced into the game? They don't feel alien to me at all. More like abominations from home planet...

23, I'll be 24 next month.

I don't want to say the Halo 2 section of the ViDoc was my favorite (the last 2 minutes of Destiny teasing takes that crown) but it certainly had the greatest emotional impact on me.

It just really struck me how much it must have stung, having to cut off the game's ending and just pick a point to stop. Joe Staten was probably going insane reading fan complaints about the cliffhanger when he had a perfectly good ending already written.

I distinctly remember being disappointed at how little of the game took place on Earth after the implications of the trailer and E3 demo. I criticized that fact on the forums, not know that they had originally planned to have Master Chief return to Earth for Halo 2's finale.

If I was allowed to ask Bungie only one question about the secrets of their Halo development, I'd want to know what the original plans were for Halo 2's finale. I think a lot of fans would ask the same thing. I wonder how much of it was abandoned forever and how much was carried over into Halo 3.

Tawpgun

ncsuDuncan said:
23, I'll be 24 next month.

I don't want to say the Halo 2 section of the ViDoc was my favorite (the last 2 minutes of Destiny teasing takes that crown) but it certainly had the greatest emotional impact on me.

It just really struck me how much it must have stung, having to cut off the game's ending and just pick a point to stop. Joe Staten was probably going insane reading fan complaints about the cliffhanger when he had a perfectly good ending already written.

I distinctly remember being disappointed at how little of the game took place on Earth after the implications of the trailer and E3 demo. I criticized that fact on the forums, not know that they had originally planned to have Master Chief return to Earth for Halo 2's finale.

If I was allowed to ask Bungie only one question about the secrets of their Halo development, I'd want to know what the original plans were for Halo 2's finale. I think a lot of fans would ask the same thing. I wonder how much of it was abandoned forever and how much was carried over into Halo 3.

I'd love to see the planned ending to Halo 2. I always love that kind of stuff. Even the cut campaign mission from Halo 3 with the Guardians. Or the cut Wrecked City Scarab mission from Reach.

If anything Reach should give us a DLC campaign mission. Gears 2 did one, but I'm not sure if Reach is able to.

Take the hint 343. It would be hella awesome if DLC packs were bundled with campaign DLC. BUT DON'T CUT CAMPAIGN MISSIONS JUST TO MAKE DLC. I know you're owned by Microsoft but I feel you guys are above that.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I'd love to see the planned ending to Halo 2. I always love that kind of stuff. Even the cut campaign mission from Halo 3 with the Guardians. Or the cut Wrecked City Scarab mission from Reach.

If anything Reach should give us a DLC campaign mission. Gears 2 did one, but I, not sure if Reach is able to.

I don't know in which interview Brain said it, but he said it wasn't possible to add campaign missions to Reach.

Maybe 343 has found a way to do it with the TU. I'd love it!

Top Bottom