• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

FyreWulff

Captain Blood said:
Granted I know nothing about .map files but how in the world would dlc maps for one game/engine work in a new game/engine? Especially considering the next trilogy will be cross platform.

Two ways to do it:

- Plan ahead for the feature, separate things more effectively so the future games have finer control over what they load and what they ignore. For example, Reach's disc gametypes safely ignore Megalo labels in a map variant from a future gametype. 5 and 6 would just ignore labels they won't/can't use in a map. Games can use the previous title's BSP (geometry) and shaders in the map files. Some of map conversion would be done on-load.

- BS it a bit by patching in an Export menu to the previous title. The export menu triggers a download of the disc maps that are re-baked for the next title. This is feasible to do, and might be the only way to do it if the trilogy ends up cross-platform. Not sure how to handle DLC in this situation though. This is what Harmonix technically did with the Lego RB and RB2 exports.

Striker

Devin Olsen said:
Defiant could have been good... Highlands is really, really close to being a great map. It just needs some balance tweaking.
Which is something I'm not getting too hot on for 343 just yet. I've seen a Sword on Battle Canyton/Beaver Creek FFS.

The power weapons on Highlands weren't very well thought out.

GECK said:
Defiant was awful and no one really bought it in comparison to previous Halo DLC.

But if you actually thought those were good maps then we're obviously at a impasse.
The problem stems from the maps being relegated to mostly one playlist. Not the map quality itself.

Louis Wu

ncsuDuncan said:
Just one last complaint:

Bloom sucks!

Armor Lock sucks!

Reach map variety sucks!

Someone should really do something about that!
ncsuDuncan sucks! Someone should really do something about that!

Wait, that's not right, he seemed pretty nice...

Sean P.

Devin Olsen said:
I am getting on now to do the co-op run, join me!

GT - Devin Olsen

Edit: Ah shit, 20,001 :( sorry

Get out of the theater so I can join haha

e: Is your computer right next to you? Add em on FB and I'll chat you haha.

I can hear you

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Striker said:
The problem stems from the maps being relegated to mostly one playlist. Not the map quality itself.
That's another thing I hope gets fixed (or I guess the right word would be changed). Force some damn DLC into regular playlists. I never see Noble and Defiant outside of the 500 pop segregated section.

feel

wtf did this topic jump 100 posts in a few minutes? I was waiting for the last default page to post a gif or two.

thezerofire said:
did we decide on a name?

Halo :Reach |OT6| 3 or 4 guys didn't want a title change

:p

ElRenoRaven

Letters said:
wtf did this topic jump 100 posts in a few minutes? I was waiting for the last default page to post a gif or two.

Halo :Reach |OT6| 3 or 4 guys didn't want a title change

:p

Yea the discussion actually picked up and was damn good I think. I love it when we're actually discussing things and not just bickering and fighting.

FyreWulff

ncsuDuncan said:
Just one last complaint:

Bloom sucks!

Armor Lock sucks!

Reach map variety sucks!

Someone should really do something about that!

didyouknow_jetpacks.jpg

Kujo

Lyphen said:
That's another thing I hope gets fixed (or I guess the right word would be changed). Force some damn DLC into regular playlists. I never see Noble and Defiant outside of the 500 pop segregated section.
Halo 2 had the best solution, free after a few months, then required by everyone

Louis Wu said:
ncsuDuncan sucks! Someone should really do something about that!

Wait, that's not right, he seemed pretty nice...

So the handsome actor I hired to play "Duncan" at PAX did a good job?

I just walked around telling everyone my name was Josh. Not sure what happened to the real Hitmonchan; I don't think he ever made it from SEA/TAC to downtown.

ncsuDuncan said:
What about:

Fall 2011 - Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
- Original Halo 1 engine with a new graphics layer, NOT a remake.
- Multiplayer maps for Reach.

Holiday 2012 - Halo 4
- All new multiplayer maps. No remakes at all, aside from whatever maps people make in Forge.

Spring, Fall 2013
- A few map packs for Halo 4. Maybe one by Bungie? Maybe a remake from Halo 3 or Halo 1 (i.e. Sidewinder, The Pit, Valhalla).

Fall 2014 - Halo 2: Revisited
- An actual REMAKE using the Halo 4 engine. Follows the Halo 2 story but does not use any of the original game's assets (aside from art design, writing, etc.)
- Multiplayer uses a modified Halo 4 engine, but is not compatible with Halo 4 (like CEA is with Reach).
- Maps are pulled from Halo 2 and 3 (Coagulation, Lockout, Midship, Turf, Terminal, etc.)

Holiday 2015 - Halo 5 on the Super Xbox 720™

Edit: Oh snap, last page? bailout.gif

Halo: Reach |OT6| Just wait for the remake in 2020.

God No, The engine made halo2 great, patch bugs like BXR by all means but dont touch a single other thing, have the original engine running in the background and a Team Sabre Esq front engine doing the graphics, same for MP.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Mojo said:
Halo 2 had the best solution, free after a few months, then required by everyone
Heroes of Newerth, a DOTA game has a solution for this that I think could still monetize DLC, which is what they want anyway.

They have an 'early access' feature, where people can pay 3$ to get early access to an up coming hero before he enters the free hero pool in a months time. By buying him, you get access, and a limited edition skin.

So, add some limited edition avatar stuff, or armor unlocks (only possible in Halo 4) with map DLC, and then make the maps themselves free after a certain period.

darthbob

PsychoRaven said:
One word. Greed.

Premium DLC pretty much became the standard with the Xbox 360. Call of Duty 2, to my recollection was the first to pretty much have all paid DLC, all the time, except for the Skirmish Map Pack or whatever it was called.

PDZ also had paid DLC, but who cares.

feel

343i should REALLY push for the free after a while thing to come back. Figure out other ways to get that lost revenue back without harming matchmaking and punishing the customers who buy dlc day one no questions asked.

Captain Blood said:
Why are we posting halo 2 matchmaking lobbies?
This page is not real!

You think that's a post you're looking at?
16bh54p.jpg

Again!!

2uetl5x.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
On the subject of free maps, DLC etc., please remember that at the time, this was a brand new model and Microsoft, its competitors and everyone else was still trying to figure out how to make that business model work. It costs a crapton of money to build, implement and run these maps, with dozens of programmers, artists and designers working long man-hours to build them.

The simple reason that they cost money is that it is a business. As that business evolved and matured, the models changed - and not just for Halo, but for everyone, especially in the console space.

There's no evil mastermind trying to bilk you, simply the realities of making and selling products.

Goods and services, mang.

Tawpgun

I think this thread has got the mass. We need to fly it into the bottom pages of neoGAFs community page so Ghaleon can get the new one up.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It's like we're in some sort of interdimensional OT limbo. WHAT IS HAPPENING.

GhaleonEB

OuterWorldVoice said:
On the subject of free maps, DLC etc., please remember that at the time, this was a brand new model and Microsoft, its competitors and everyone else was still trying to figure out how to make that business model work. It costs a crapton of money to build, implement and run these maps, with dozens of programmers, artists and designers working long man-hours to build them.

The simple reason that they cost money is that it is a business. As that business evolved and matured, the models changed - and not just for Halo, but for everyone, especially in the console space.

There's no evil mastermind trying to bilk you, simply the realities of making and selling products.

Wrong thread, did not read.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
OuterWorldVoice said:

So no free Grunt plushies?

EyjRs.jpg

Top Bottom